Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

I can't outright hate tv shows that promote Christian theology

Kurt Sutter wrote the Sons of Anarchy finale just for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

zoux posted:

Buffy should've ended at season five.

Buffy really should have ended after the fifth season and the sixth season was one of the worst seasons of television I've ever seen but they managed to get the show back on track and I thought the end of the seventh season was pretty good.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

You really just want to start with the miniseries and then go on to the regular series. You can pretty much ignore the movies as well as Caprica and or Blood and Chrome.

I'd watch Razor in between seasons three and four (I think that's when it aired) but all the other stuff (the webisodes and the prequal movie) can be ignored.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Eezee posted:

Just saw the trailer for Vince Gilligan's new show and I don't think it could be more generic if it tried. I hope it's just a lovely trailer, but I really expected that he would do something original. I doubt he had a shortage of job offers after Breaking Bad ended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9esEjX02m4I

It's got two strikes against it just for being on CBS. I'm going to watch the first episode but I'm not expecting much.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Mo0 posted:

The BBC seems to be kind of dicks about licensing.

It's time to change the thread title back to "gently caress You England" or whatever it was before the new year.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

Jennifer Garner has way too much money to be on this many commercials.

Affleck probably gambled away all her Alias money by now.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Rarity posted:

I can't imagine Marley as Supergirl at all :psyduck:

Ryan Murphy couldn't imagine Marley as Marley anymore either.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
Thread is finally getting good.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
I wish I didn't know anything about Glee.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

omg chael crash posted:

So, I just did a rewatch of Entourage with my girlfriend and the Sophia Leer romance there at the end is STILL stupid. Am I crazy?

Just about everything about the end of Entourage was stupid.

I'm still looking forward to the movie, though. :downs:

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
Just because a show is 30 minutes doesn't mean it has to be a comedy or a "dramedy".

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

tk posted:

Looking forward to watching The Daily Show with Chris Hardwick.

I vote for this option. TVIV hasn't had a good meltdown in a while.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
Goons ruin everything :cripes:

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
I find it really interesting seeing which sitcoms from the 80s and 90s have held up. Both Seinfeld and Friends have aged really badly while shows like The Golden Girls and Roseanne are still perfectly watchable.

Also, Beavis & Butthead is amazing and you should feel bad if you don't like it.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Possible Spoiler for The Jinx

If you have HBO and are not watching this show what's wrong with you?

I just got caught up with this last night and it is really, really good.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Durst is the most amazing real-life monster.

There are a couple scenes where the documentary crew leaves him hooked up to a mic while they are taking a break from the interview and the dude talks to himself and it is the creepiest thing. After the big reveal at the end of last week's episode I'm almost dreading what's going to happen when they confront him with the evidence they found.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Sober posted:

Would you rather TVIV be run by a bunch of one-show fanboys?

If they don't watch The Walking Dead how can they tell when the posting gets bad in the TWD thread?

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

IRQ posted:

Justified has been stacking up on my DVR and I am going to try my hardest to forget this. Has it been good otherwise? Last season didn't blow me away.

It's much better than last season and they are finally putting the pieces in place for the inevitable showdown between Raylan and Boyd which will hopefully be amazing.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

IRQ posted:

Just as long as it's still ok to hate the Welsh.

The Welsh are currently letting Kurt Sutter create his newest turd from within their borders. gently caress the Welsh.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
Fear the Walking Dead. :cripes:

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

Natalie Zea is hot.

Irish Joe not trolling for once.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Ravane posted:

I've been completely serious for the last week or so, and I've still got a bunch of Ravane's trolling posts

It's almost like being a lovely poster for months on end has consequences. Welcome to adulthood I guess.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

precision posted:

I can name five zombie shows off the top of my head. This is even bigger than the post-Twilight vampire craze (or the post-Buffy one, for that matter)

Are any of the zombie shows as bad as my favorite bad vampire show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gRGS0CHQHM

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

I know we talked about it briefly but for anyone who watched 'Going Clear', which is a sort of surface-level look at Scientology, not only should you check out the book - which is great - but Alec Baldwin just did a podcast with Lawrence Wright.

They cover a lot, but their talk about Scientology is pretty fascinating, not least because Baldwin considers Tom Cruise a friend, and then they discuss how Scientologists decorated Cruise's private hanger while being paid less than minimum wage.

I was surprised at how much stuff from the book got left out of the documentary. I wonder if it was just HBO lawyers afraid of lawsuits but I remember reading a bunch of interviews with Lawrence Wright when the book came out and he was emphatic that everything in the book had been researched to death.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
NBC must be in the 'throw everything at the wall and see what sticks' phase of their network planning schedule:

quote:

NBC has resurrected Emerald City, the drama based on The Wizard of Oz that was previously given a straight-to-series order then scrapped before it commenced production. This go round, the network has greenlit ten episodes. David Schulner takes over as showrunner from Matthew Arnold and Josh Friedman. NBC has not announced when the series will premiere.

That's David Schulner of Do No Harm fame. :cripes:

smg77 fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 16, 2015

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
Holy poo poo Chris Hansen is trying to kickstart a To Catch a Predator revival.

The kickstarter is for $75,000 but apparently they need half a million to actually do an entire investigation.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

TwoQuestions posted:

What exactly is the appeal of The Wire? I keep hearing about it, and every review I've seen presents it as a very well done documentary about Hell.

It looks to me like a much better done Neon Genesis Evangelion that's about Baltimore instead of Shinji.

If Ravane is still reading this thread--this is how it's done.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Cardboard Box A posted:

Anyway, Vikings season 3 episode 9

Finally you posted a good .gif

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

zoux posted:

I'd like to see how accurate the Cancellation Bear actually is.

They are actually pretty good with their predictions. They almost always have one big miss every year (I think last year they predicted The Mindy Project to get canceled), though, so if you're pulling hard for something you might get lucky.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

lelandjs posted:

Controversial rating = more comments = more views to show advertisers. If they removed the grades, they'd probably lose ~40% of their site activity.

I rarely see them give any episode lower than a B-/C+ so how much controversy can they be generating? I think the last episode that got an F was from Glee which was an easy shot to take.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

pentyne posted:

Has anything in the last 2-3 years on NBC been a success? They seem to cancel all of their new shows every year.

The Blacklist was a legitimate success before they moved it to Thursdays.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Shageletic posted:

If its an unbaked piece of crap-o-rama, but with a hint of sci-fi/fantasy traces, never doubt that five people in here will lose their minds about it.

Lost broke way more than five people.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

savinhill posted:

It's Under the Dome except with the whole cast being ultra annoying teen caricatures instead of just a few

That sounds more like a crime against humanity than a TV show just based on how awful the teenage characters are on Under the Dome.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

if it's the widescreen release it can gently caress right off

This is dumb. The widescreen conversion of The Wire was almost perfect. Especially when compared to the Buffy conversion that was released around the same time and was awful.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Deadpool posted:

Looks like The Stand will now begin as an eight part Showtime mini-series and will wrap with a feature film.

http://www.thewrap.com/stephen-kings-the-stand-poised-to-add-tv-miniseries-at-showtime-exclusive/

I want to be excited about this but after how awful Under the Dome turned out...I don't know.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

zoux posted:

Just. Don't. Do. Rape. Plots.

Kurt Sutter will hunt you down. and rape you

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

pentyne posted:

I can't think of a single multi-season 90s comedy that really holds up.

- Seinfeld
- Friends
- Fraiser
- Full House
- Home Improvement
- Family Matters
- Fresh Prince
- Married with Children (almost in a different category, but it stumbles more then it excels)

Going from this list
http://www.imdb.com/list/ls000208241/

The only ones on the list that I'd really re-watch would be Simpsons, Larry Sanders, and NewsRadio.

Other than the last two seasons Roseanne holds up really well. I'm with you on Seinfeld and Friends, though, even though I watched and enjoyed both of them when they were current I find them insufferable now.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
Pawn Stars sucks now that Chumlee isn't fat anymore.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

VorpalBunny posted:

Anyone here still watching Nurse Jackie? I have the final season piled up on my DVR and I can't really bring myself to watch it.

I'm still watching. It's not great but it's not as bad as Weeds was at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
On Comcast they disable the fast forward button for on demand stuff but you can reprogram your remote to enable a 30 second skip that works fine. We've had three different comcast boxes/remotes in the last 10 years and they all have this ability.

• Locked thread