Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Reminder: 2015's best show starts this Sunday!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HueI1ThldsA

If you nerds sat through Peter Pan Live! there's literally no excuse for not watching Galavant :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Mook: That secret agent is a broad!
Agent Carter, 40s Feminist: Don't call me a broad; I'm a dame. A dame good secret agent. *karate chops man through brick wall*

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Spatula City posted:

I must then conclude goons generally have bad taste. :colbert:

I'm going to be generous and assume everybody who voted for Arrow and Flash are in their early 20s and thus don't know any better. It just doesn't make sense any other way (how could people who care enough about tv to post on a tv forum have such god awful taste!? It'd be like visiting New York City and eating at Papa John's)

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Ravane posted:

Twitter appeals to one's inner narcissism, it's a game of trying to get the most followers, while also avoiding going around begging for followers. The moment you think of how few followers you have, you lose. I have 21, gently caress.

The sad part is that the younger generation is bringing their Twitter mentality to message boards. You used to post on message boards with the intent and expectation of having long-form conversations with other people. Nowadays, there's a large segment of posters who get downright offended if you reply to them with anything but unmitigated praise. Why the gently caress are you posting if you don't want people to read and reply to your messages? If you want to be the lonely king of poo poo mountain, go on Twitter where you can block out anything and anyone who upsets you.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

STAC Goat posted:

Rollercoaster back up. I can do four hours of it.

Really, though, all you need to do is take a look at the guest stars to get really hyped for Galavant.

Below the line for those who care:
Ricky Gervais, Rutger Howard, Donald Glover and John Stamos.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Hey guys, did you know Back to the Future 2 took place in 2015? Where are all the hoverboards, am I right? :lol:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

hcreight posted:

So I guess it's worth mentioning in here that Occupation and Zaggitz are hosting another Who livewatch today/tonight in the IRC for The Eleventh Hour aka Matt Smith's first full episode as The Doctor. It starts st 6PM EST/3PM PST/Go look up what time that is in your own time zone I'm not your damned butler.

Was it? Was it really worth mentioning?

Just kidding, but seriously it really isn't the kind of episode that lends itself to a fun live watch.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

IRQ posted:

It could be, remember how promising Matt Smith seemed after Tenant's long assed run? Before Amy and Rorie shat all over everything and Moffat went all ouroboros on his own rear end in a top hat? Occ hasn't seen all that yet.

Yeah, so where's the comedy? Doing a live watch of a good show is like doing a Rifftrax of 12 Years a Slave. What do you say except "this is really good" or, as Occ would put it, "HAHAAJSHDFJNSI"

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I have my reservations about both, but I can't outright hate tv shows that promote Christian theology. Lost by advocating the catholic afterlife and BSG by having angels and disproving Darwin's theory of evolution.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm going to assume the alternate ending details the intergalactic adventures Colbie Smuckers had after she literally flew away that one episode.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

GreenNight posted:

I've mentioned this in a few other places, but keep an eye out for the new show Dark Matter filming in Canada. It a new ship-based scifi show due out later in 2015. It starts filming in a few weeks.

Yeah, but its made by the people behind Stargate and Lost Girl, so if you're expecting something on the level of BSG or Caprica, you're going to be sorely disappointed.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

Mythbusters has a six minute promo highlighting the changes they're making for the new season.

It looks like everything fans have been demanding since the show went full retard a few years back. Can't wait.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I wouldn't consider anything from the last few seasons of Quantum Leap "good," but the finale is an excellent example of how to construct a satisfying ending with no closure. I know the current generation has an immature need for everything to be wrapped up in a neat little package, but life is messy, and you don't always get the closure you want. When you break up with your girlfriend, she doesn't immediately die in a fiery car accident. The coworker you hated for years wasn't blown up in 9/11. And the president doesn't award you the Medal of Valor for posting a sick burn on Twitter. Sometimes 'and they kept doing what they've always done' is more realistic and more satisfying than any of the contrived finales people like to mention (Breaking Bad, Seinfeld, etc).

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

raditts posted:

Can't we just call it a "good show" then like we always have instead of some stupid goddamn term some internet columnist poo poo out?

Or, more accurately, "a show I like" because calling drek like Arrow and Sleepy Hollow "good shows" is just begging for an argument.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

raditts posted:

Have we all not figured out at this point that what people post about "good" and "bad" TV shows on the internet is a matter of opinion, or do we have to be on full-autist mode all the time?

Being precise has nothing to do with autism. We should all, as a rule, strive to express ourselves as clearly as possible. Otherwise, what's the point of all this? Why are we communicating with one another if not to be understood? There is a very real distinction between "I like this" and "I think this is good" and, if you are able to recognize it, you should express it when you write and speak to others.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Boatswain posted:

I've just heard good stuff about it but there seems to be a 100 different things to watch. I guess I'll start with the miniseries then.

Miniseries. Series. Caprica.

Ignore everything else.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
You won't believe the amazing secret shared by these ten black actors!

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Ravane posted:

And I completely expect people from a planet called Caprica to curse exactly the same way as people from Earth, despite not having the same historical background and language basis. :smuggo:

Actually they do since we are all descendants of the Capricians.

raditts posted:

Yeah, these clearly have effort put into them and are worth crossposting, that other guy not so much.

You guys are weird. Who doesn't want to hear Third Eye Blind's version of The Simpsons theme?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Wasn't expecting Daredevil so soon, and I didn't know Stephen DeKnight was attached. Consider me unreasonably pumped!

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Tom Kenny is too busy sleeping on a bed of $1000 dollar bills.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
We are like the Jews after the holocaust: relieved that our long nightmare has finally ended, but saddened that it took so long.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Isn't Toonami a part of Adult Swim? I'm not understanding the complaint except that anime bullshit is drowning out discussion of AS's typical monkey cheese bullshit.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Jesus, there isn't a single "respected" internet critic who isn't a fat nerd with a gross neckbeard.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

That's a massively high profile casting for a Fuller show.

I can't tell if this is sarcastic or not.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

drat we got some Richard Armitage haters in this thread.

I think its more confusion about why a niche BBC actor would be considered a "big get" for an American network drama.

hcreight posted:

Considering G4 was home to regularly creepy programming like Attack of the Show, I consider this a step up.

My mother always told me to never accept a drink offered by Attack of the Show.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Its going to be so great once Lorne dies and we finally get a chance to watch some of those old, classic SNLs.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
How do you keep your prostate healthy if you can't blow your load in space?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

DrVenkman posted:

Like, well done for handling that as well as they did, but jesus what a thing to ask.

I'm assuming the question was sarcastic as hell and want to give that guy a high-five.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

He's got a point, though. Its easy to dismiss a couple of cranks coming out of the woodwork to tear Cosby down decades after the alleged rapes occurred. When its over a dozen, some of whom are credible, it becomes harder to ignore. On top of that is the disturbing notion that a person can have his career and reputation ruined by unsubstantiated accusations over something that no one is in a position now, decades later, to prove or disprove. Does anyone really want to reward and encourage this kind of disgustingly reactionary mob rule? I certainly wouldn't if I were in Greenblatt's shoes.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

raditts posted:

So I'm 4 episodes in to Breaking Bad now... I don't know why I waited so long to watch this, probably because my wife actively does not want to watch it. Does it just get better from here, or are there any rough spots later on that I should be expecting?

Also, is there something that Skyler does at some point that brought the rage of the internet down upon her, or was that all just a case of Internet Males being Internet Males?

Season 2's payoff is dumb and season 3 kinda drags because its mainly set up for season 4. I'll repeat the advice I give everybody when it comes to Breaking Bad: Don't marathon it. Watch one or two episodes at a time. Pace it out. The show is loving slow, dire and bleak. You'll burn yourself out if you try to watch too much too quickly.

Skyler's a huge nag and, though many would argue that's its justified, the fact remains, no one likes a nag. She eventually nags herself out by season 4 and becomes a cool and sympathetic character after that. So if she starts to wear on you, just keep reminding yourself, "it gets better."

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
"They sent me too far back in the past."
"This is the present :downs:"

That's some grade A quality syfy dialogue right there.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Portlandia's back y'all.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

EL BROMANCE posted:

Enjoy some screenshots though : http://imgur.com/a/QCwN8

:holymoley:

Let's get that poo poo in the states, stat.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

bobkatt013 posted:

The best thing to ever happen to the show was Anderson getting pregnant. The abduction arc really kicked off the show

Except 1) the pregnancy noticeably aged her and 2) The X-Files metaplot was dumb and dragged down the series.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
The goony love for Enjer Govkai will never cease to amaze me. Granted, he is an amazing actor next to Eliza Dukushku, but, let's be honest here, that's not exactly a huge accomplishment.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

IRQ posted:

What was this Irish Joe nonsense even prompted by? Did you have a stroke, Joe?

Sorry, I was reading the Agent Carter thread and had my mind boggled by the people praising Gokai even though he's had like three lines so far.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Just think of how smug you can be when people ask you what you watch on television and you can be like "oh, you know, Arrow, The Flash and... Mozart in the Jungle :smug:"

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

I know you're joking, but I am unironically excited about this. Reagan was in his prime during the late 70s and I'd encourage anyone interested in American history and conservative thought to listen to his radio broadcasts from that period (search Reagan in His Own Voice: Ronald Reagan's Radio Addresses, available free from audible).

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Jennifer Garner has way too much money to be on this many commercials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Rabbit Hill posted:

On that note, don't read the AVClub's reviews of Galavant.

That's a ridiculous amount of sperging over a stupid pun.

Douche from the Onion AV Club posted:

As enjoyable as the show can be, Galavant’s weaknesses have been fairly consistent over its first four episodes: off-color puns,

What a pedantic little twat.

• Locked thread