Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

LibbyM posted:

This is a pretty generic question but does the show ever get good again?

No. It actually gets progressively worse until the very end where it has an ending which rivals the worst TV ones ever seen. It's just loving terrible.

When people say the final season is better what they really mean is that a handful of scenes with the mother are really good, but they are so sparse and surrounded by the worse loving gimmick imaginable that it's like swimming in runny, cold poo poo in search for some dollar bills.

Sober posted:

Just watch the alternate ending they filmed.

Do this, its pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Sophia posted:

Someone name a TV show where they liked its ending and also genuinely liked the show (i.e. the ending can't be liked because it was simply put out of its misery like a dying dog).

Friday Night Lights, Breaking Bad, Friends, Avatar, Being Human (both), Gilmore Girls, The OC, The Wire, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, and many more.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

Breaking Bad was wrapped up too neatly. I was hoping for a cold punch to the gut like The Shield.

I liked the neatness of the ending. It never felt like a show that should end with that cold punch to the gut.

Also, I'd like to add Stargate SG1, Stargate Atlantis, Stargate Universe, Jericho, Six Feet Under, The Office (both) and Misfits to my list.

CaptainHollywood posted:

Most first episodes make a promise to the viewer and say, "This is what the show is about, this is what's going to happen, and hopefully the main characters will find peace with their problems" Every show does this - but I only go to Dexter and How I Met Your Mother as breaking it's promise to the viewer.

This was all well said and I agree with it, even if the goofiness of Lost ending didn't appeal to me.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Ravane posted:

Just because you're too stupid to understand the lost ending doesn't make it goofy, is what I would say.

But I'm turning over a new leaf this year. I love you PriorMarcus.

The goofiness I'm talking about is poo poo like the volcano punch. I was fine with the actual events of the finale, including everyone being rewarded in the flash-sideways verse.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Metal Loaf posted:

What are you counting as the SG-1 finale? "Unending", Ark of Truth or Continuum?

Unending. Sure, the way the Asgard were written out was pretty doofy and rushed, but humanity becoming the Fifth Race and the episode being confined to just the main characters was nice, as was the final scene.

It probably helped that I wasn't too invested in the Ori so was left pretty satisfied despite the lack of resolution.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Rabbit Hill posted:

I just learned of the existence of the 2014 miniseries adaptation of Daphne du Maurier's Jamaica Inn. It's not on Netflix, Amazon Prime, or Hulu. Does anyone know if it's available (or will be soon) in the US somewhere else?

I worked on this and wasn't too happy with the end product, in fact, it got a lot of bad reviews across the board, so I'm not sure it's worth you tracking down. There was also a major problem with the sound editing (not my department) and ALL the dialogue is hard to hear.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

zoux posted:

Yeah he just made three huge movies in which he played a major role

Alongside a cast of other former TV actors destined to be future TV actors. It's not that big of a coup.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

VDay posted:

Yeah I think they said this exact same thing right after the show ended, I guess this is just a clarification/confirmation or something?

Its literally the exact same article from a year ago. They must of misposted it again.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

Sadly not, the only airing it's had so far to my knowledge is on Germany's 7MAXX (A sub channel of Pro Sieben, I believe). This print is then muxed with the English audio off the DVDs to make it suitable for those of us who can't understand it in a German dub. The on screen text is sadly in German still, but hey.

Enjoy some screenshots though : http://imgur.com/a/QCwN8

Given how old the DVDs are, and that Netflix etc probably use the same prints... they're probably looking pretty ropey now.

How come none of the screenshots show the establishing shots or the CGI so we can see how good/bad they are?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Spatula City posted:

Also it's a little regressive in terms of its view of women (even Joss Whedon would have a hard time stomaching the proposition that that Irene Adler was a good female character)

Well, that's Moffat for you. He's said that the only reason she 'bettered' Sherlock in the original novels is because she could resist loving him when both of them wanted it. The true power of a woman, for Moffat, is their ability to deny their vagina to people, and in both Sherlock and Doctor Who they loose that power when they give their vagina away (Clara, Irene) or have it taken (Amy).

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Fateo McMurray posted:

Life on Mars was amazing to the end go gently caress yourself

And Waterloo Road was never ever good.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

pentyne posted:

Bad example, but the drop in quality after series 1 was astounding.

Except for Life on Mars your right though. Utopia, Being Human, In the Flesh, Skins, The Inbetweeners and Shameless also plummeted in quality, though I'd argue Being Human was a little more gradual.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

VDay posted:

Anybody been watching the second season of The Musketeers? That's one of those shows that I enjoyed but just randomly realized I forgot about until tonight. Also I somehow watched the entire first season and the last season of Doctor Who without realizing/remembering that Capaldi plays the cardinal.

Sadly the Cardinal dies off screen between seasons and the show suffers a lot from his absence.

Also, for Misfits, I think it stayed fun for the entire run of the series, but it wasn't really great like the first few series.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

So, the Onion video network or whatever it was called burned bright and fast didn't it?

The amazing Sex House, the brilliant antiques show parody and then some quickly declining series until... nothing.

Also, I agree with the above about Misfits. To be fair, being poo poo at serialized storylines isn't anything new for UK writers.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

zoux posted:

Porkin Across America was loving great as well as extremely disturbing. Lake Dredge Appraisal I think was their best.

It just occurred to me that Tales from the Crypt isn't on HBOGo and now I'm mad about it.

I found the body horror in Porkin Across America too hard to stomach, so it left a bad taste that meant I didn't really enjoy the show as a whole. Lake Dredge was their best.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

hope and vaseline posted:

Vampire Diaries goes into a crazy plot roller coaster once it gets past the first 6 episodes of being Twilight-light, but unfortunately kind of fizzles out once they realize they can't maintain that momentum forever and re-focuses back on the boring romantic poo poo. It has an excellent 2-3 seasons though if you can stomach the kind of typical CW pretty people casting. At one point I had hopes for it being a Buffy successor but it kind of ended up wasting its potential.

The Originals has kind of picked up the baton right now, but it's such a shame that Vampire Diaries didn't live up to its promise.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

HUMAN FISH posted:

Also the whole comic book fandom thing is something that I will simply never understand as a non-American. It's pretty unique.

No it isn't. How's it any different from every other fandom?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Zaggitz posted:

The sexual assaulty one, not the one nobody should take seriously.

This doesn't narrow it down.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Rocksicles posted:

I don't often refuse to watch a remake, but i'm putting my foot down on this one.

Did you watch season two though? If you did you've already watched a remake of season one so you might as well see Fincher tackle it.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Junkenstein posted:

It seems really strange to me that C4 cancelled Utopia at the same time as all the announcements were being made that essentially guaranteed it being the next big HBO thing.

Series two tanked in ratings and critical reception and C4 is run via ad revenue. They don't really gain anything by looking three years into the future, when the original series might have reached a natural conclusion any way and hoping the Fincher version is both made and a success.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Rocksicles posted:

Are you a barking mad?

I didn't say it would suck, i said i'm making a stand.
But it has an Englishness, that i seriously doubt any American writer can muster.

Yes. The Englishness of a massive government conspiracy and an engineered superflu discovered by a handful of comic book geeks who are pursued by a lone assassin.

Or, did you mean the Englishness of a school shooting?

It's got about as much Englishness in it as any other show that seems like it wanted to be an American show.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Sleepy Hollow maybe? It had a beloved first season and now the entire thread seems to agree its gone poo poo.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

Tom Hardy should have done a Latino accent or something. I'm glad I didn't go see that movie years ago.

Tom Hardy was the one person aware they were making a lovely film, so he just had fun with it.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Do you have more gifs from the finale?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Davros1 posted:

Better was the quote from the producer of Midsommer Murders about why there were very few minorities on the show (which takes place in the village of Midsommer), he replied something along the lines of Midsommer representing the ideal English village.

To be fair he said that while an ideal definition of "English village" might include minorities it doesn't, and the show is made for a certain audience who wouldn't want to see them. So, he was right, though very un-PC.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

Breaking Bad seems like such a fuckin' bummer. Why would I want to bum myself out so much?

Because while Breaking Bad is very good it only really manages to elicit any emotion in a single episode towards the end, so really it's not that much of a fuckin' bummer.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

It's not worth going back and watching, no. Aside from Mike dying you aren't missing anything you haven't seen a dozen times over in the show already and will probably see a dozen times again in Better Call Saul.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

It's by Joseph Kahn, who wrote and directed Torque, Detention and Taylor Swift's Blank Space music video, so yes, he knew exactly what he was making and it's exactly what you'd expect him to make when you hear 'Joseph Kahn's Power Rangers.' It's got it's tongue firmly in cheek and I recommend you check out his feature films.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Bown posted:

"Detention" is my personal pick for the most underrated movie of this decade. DivisionPost has gotten me into a lot of good stuff, but that one's probably my favourite.

It's cool when we agree on things. :hfive:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Don't we have this discussion every time the show comes up?

Good Lord. Just because you've figured out that Walter isn't sympathetic doesn't make you a master of television.

And yes, to some degree, the show is daring you and expecting you to route for him. Especially when he's up against child killer Gus and literal Nazi's.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

BillBear posted:

Doesn't Dexter at some point say " Yeah I am loving terrible." After S2 there should be no doubt he's 100% scum who doesn't even try to justify what he does. I stopped watching after the terrible S5 so I don't know if he magically becomes some kind of anti hero though.

The show is 100% in favour of Dexter. He's in full on anti-hero territory from Seeason Two onwards and he's final arc is about becoming a 'real boy' who suffers no real consequences for his actions and is in fact admired and rewarded for them.

Then he becomes a lumberjack.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Lately I've been trying out racism.

Racism: half a star.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

zoux posted:

But it's racism.

Well we don't do zero stars. We had a long meeting about this.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Yeah, Mad Men lost half its viewers when it turned out the main obstacle to Don being a cool, witty, pussy machine was Don himself.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

So... I've started watching The Strain and the most baffling thing about it is the on-screen location legends that are in an early 00's grunge font but come on screen with a digital typing sound effect.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

What? Strain wasn't good but Pacific Rim was great and Crimson Peak looks fantastic.

Pacific Rim was rubbish.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

pentyne posted:

Showtime: Hey, change your ending, this show is getting huge press attention

Homeland: ...We crafted a serious dramatic story and planned to end it in one season, that would ruin everything we did.

Showtime: Tough poo poo, do what we say or don't get paid.

Yeah, none of which explains why Season Two was the adventures of The Brody Bunch.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

BSam posted:

Oh no, be careful, I read that being old was the cause of death.

Yeah. He just expired. He passed his use by date. It was nothing to do with a pre-existing medical condition.

Smoke if you've got them guys, it's all fine.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

They say what caused it, but I don't think they go into detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Was Last Man on Earth good? I'm going to watch it tonight and I'm kind of excited. Love the pedigree behind the show.

• Locked thread