Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I disagree with you therefore your reasons are invalid.

In fairness criticisms like "bad writing, bad plot" and "we don't care about these characters so why are they spending time on them" are kinda shallow from a legit critical perspective. You have to actually kinda dig in to WHY you're having that reaction and what precisely is being done wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The thing with being under Marvel's strict supervision was, it wasn't that they couldn't reference random D-list supercharacter (and this was kind of a bullshit thing that kept coming up in early discussion)- rather I think that because they had a Big Status-Quo Altering Event coming up in Winter Soldier, the showrunners were told to maintain a holding pattern until then, don't go too crazy, they need to be around for the big betrayal to take place.

Now obviously, even with that restriction it could have been done better- I think a real problem was that the initial status quo (going around the world and chasing random bits of alien tech before bad guys use it for bad things) was kind of dull to start with, even by the standards of an espionage/action series it felt too small and limited. And they could have started messing with the characters beforehand so long as Ward was still around for the big reveal. But Winter Soldier gave them permission to have things actually start happening now, and with the next few Marvel movies not really having anything to do with SHIELD per se it seems like they now have more freedom.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Quality is not entirely objective and you can think a show has flaws and is good regardless instead of thinking "it's objectively bad" like that's a thing.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

Its been years since I watched an episode of 2 Broke Girls but the jokes were usually pretty much "Here's a shockingly racist caricature or comment... laugh at it because you're shocked because we're too lazy to write an actual joke."

Not to mention the constant "straight line" / "joke" / "straight line" / "joke" rhythm.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Rocksicles posted:

The only reason it works at all is because the two leads are literally BFF's in every sense of the word. It's almost sickening to watch them together off the show.

Yeah any time it's just those two it's fun but then there is literally every other character.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
A good title sequence helps set the tone. It's not strictly necessary (Frasier is of course just a title card and a few notes) but if it's there I take it as part of the experience.

Granted if a show has a bad opening theme or whatever skipping it would be a nice option, but there are few themes/title sequences I really dislike that much. (Mindy Project but really just the farting horns, Enterprise, and I think Raising Hope's theme never fit very well.)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
30 Rock has nailed so many things during or slightly before the fact it's kinda scary.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Has Catherine Bell always been a giraffe and I've just not noticed?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

DrVenkman posted:

Ruffalo would've been so so good as Columbo. But then Mark Ruffalo can never not be great.

In other news, Firefly isn't that great. Here's the thing about it, it has all the ingredients present that you know one day it'll all fall into place and just work, but the majority of those early episodes are just them trying to work all that out. By the time it feels like they're getting there the show was over.

See, I have the opposite view- one of the reasons I think it has such a rabid cult is it established what it was pretty quickly. The cast dynamic, the look and feel, the sense of place are there from early on- it never felt to me like the awkward fumbling period most shows have to start, even with a few episodes that aren't as good as the rest.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Yup. HuluPlus gives you access to a bunch more shows, but they all have the same number of commercials.

To be fair the Criterion stuff is commercial free, but they may be the sole exception.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I honestly liked some of the developments in the second season though the pacing was glacial. There was a larger conspiracy that I kinda liked, but then the showrunner was replaced and the first episode of season three eliminated all that, meaning there was nothing but Emily trying to destroy this one family, which shouldn't take more than 3 seasons.

Bit of a shame- I liked that it was really a soap opera in prime time, though Scandal and Empire and other shows are taking up the slack now.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I thought Scheider didn't quit so much as was fired for openly telling interviewers how much the show sucked now. The man did not give a gently caress anymore, it was great.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Galavant and Carter are both very good news.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

thrawn527 posted:

This is a fair point. Fart Machine didn't kill 30 Rock, but those Studio 60 skits did it no favors. (I can only remember the Nic Cage show, strangely enough.)

I do remember "Meet the Press with Juliette Lewis", which was a nice concept at least.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
NM wrong thread

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
It's not like Trump is gonna last long enough in the campaign for equal time to become an issue.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Another Period is indeed quite good so far. Hell of a cast, so far I'm most impressed by Riki Lindholme. (I've seen a few episodes of Garfunkel and Oates but she's basically herself in that.)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of racism there's apparently a dumb Nickelodeon show about a girl who joins a boys' football team and racists on the Internet are convinced it's actually a show about interracial cuckoldry:

here's the details.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah selling fried chicken tenders is so evil right.

That snotty NYT review wouldn't have been nearly as scathing if it wasn't owned by a celebrity. Sounds like a douche trying to write an article that goes viral.

Selling lovely fried chicken tenders at what I assume are typical NYC restaurant prices is evil enough.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Apple and Microsoft aren't even really in competition anymore. Apple makes its money off phones and tablets, MS makes money off Windows being on 99.whatever% of PCs and several Macs (thanks to Boot Camp/Parallels etc.)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

I exclusively use the tablet interface and I wish it was better about promoting or highlighting new content. You'd think they'd put their new poo poo up front and center but it almost always shows up on the "Popular on Netflix" category before the recently added category. Some of the stuff in the new category has been on Netflix for more than a year.

I dunno why they're so goddamn secretive about their content, there used to be many sites that mined Netflix data to determine what was upcoming, but Netflix changed poo poo to make that impossible. Now I have to wait until the last week of the month to find out what's upcoming.

I wonder if there aren't some incentives in the license deals to "feature" certain titles so they're more likely to be viewed, or if it's just "put the stuff that is most likely to be popular first". Either way back catalogue stuff gets buried.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
What I've seen of it (which is not much, to be fair) does have the appeal of being more overtly an action/horror series than TWD, less about the character drama (which the latter does... inconsistently, let's say.)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I would but I'm phone posting.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Staying at a place with DirectTV- I never had a strong opinion on cable vs satellite before but what's the point of a system that stops working whenever there's heavy cloud cover?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
What I saw of the Sleepy Hollow premiere suggests they're steering heavily towards Monster of the Week, which may be for the best. What people like is Ichabod and Abbie teaming up to fight evil, and they don't like when that gets messed with too much.

I feel like heavily serialized dramas seem to inevitably lose traction in year two (happened with Revenge as well), unless the first year wasn't great (or it was like Breaking Bad where the first year was a short, slow burn kinda thing). The fact that SH and Revenge both had full 22 episode orders seemed to hurt them too, it's hard to draw an arc out that long.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I watched all of Community S6 and Other Space and I'm not sure I ever saw a single ad. And I wasn't on a browser either, streaming through a 360.

I'm not sure if Community S6 would have been at all profitable on a well run streaming site, but holy poo poo did Yahoo have no idea what they were doing.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The pilot was clunky but yeah, the basic ingredients are there. Benoist is great, I really liked the plane rescue scene, and you have buff Jimmy Olsen.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

Why are we looking at Diane Lane?

Why not?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I seem to recall one study that showed people using DVRs and FFing through ads were still basically getting the same impact- seeing the brand and the image- as people who watched them in full. Doesn't quite work with players where you skip ahead a certain number of segments, though.

I'm in favor of less ads if it actually meant we went back to 25-minute shows in half hour slots and 50-minute shows in hour slots but I don't think it's gonna be that big.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

Fox has replaced Minority Report with reruns of Bones.

The most undignified of fates.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

Outer Space is dead (most likely, due to Yahoo screen) which is a shame. I really liked it. Good cast and fun writing, worked with the shoestring budget.

Other Space, but yes.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Sir Kodiak posted:

Wait, so is it bad, or is it like Showgirls?

I saw the first episode and parts of it are good, it's well shot and they cast actual dancers and all, but there are some really cliched bits (the ballet director is the classic high-strung gay martinet who gets in a tizzy about no champagne at the fundraiser and seems to dramatically pose for every line) and the ending points to potential trainwreck status.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Vodos posted:

How is that even possible? Spartacus and Black Sails had big period sets, 100s of extras, stunts and CGI while this is just skinny girls in rooms.

I watched 3 episodes and I'm entertained by it. I'm not saying it's good, the characters are caricatures, cliches stuffed with even more cliches. Nothing even remotely surprising happens in the episodes I've seen but yet I'm amused by the poo poo they decided to go with like the ballerinas working at the strip club. I wonder if Starz made them put that in to fill their boobs quota.

They at least shot the first strip club dance in an interesting way, but yeah I think that was an issue.

Though I was also amused by them filling it by having an absolutely emaciated ballerina nude in the locker room asking for spare tampons. Like, the least sexy way to put gratuitous nudity on your show.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

12 oz mouse was legit fuckin brilliant.

I like how it starts as just total random humor and by the end it's like The Prisoner or Twin Peaks.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

NBC, the Network That Could Only Ever gently caress Up, now has to give evert presidential candidate the same 12 minutes it gave to Donald Trump, under fair time regulations.

Doesn't it only apply to Republicans because it's primary season?

(Of course that's still like 10 people.)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Dialogue is bad, action is good, Benoist rules.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

I hope you're not basing "action is good" off what passed for "action" in this episode.

I thought that was really fun- lots of high-speed smashing back and forth. Good sense of speed and power.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

Okay, not sure what Fox is up to as they just said Minority Report is back next week.

Do they still have episodes to burn off?

I mean, November is a weird time to do it but who knows.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

I think Newsradio and Seinfeld are better sitcoms.

What was so clever about Frasier? It was slapstick comedy dressed up by rich people. Most episodes involved Niles flailing around on fire and breaking poo poo.

Slapstick is a fine art.

Plus the characters are really well-drawn and nuanced, there are some great well-constructed farce episodes (The Matchmaker, the Ski Lodge episode, The Innkeepers), the entire cast is funny and good and there's some great banter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Sober posted:

And cue the Jessica Jones vs. Supergirl discussions in 12 hours.

It's apples and oranges. They're both "superhero" shows but one is pitch black crime thriller stuff while the other is all idealism and cuteness.

That said both have great female lead performances and between them and Agent Carter returning next year it is a good season for talented women playing comic book people.

• Locked thread