Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Rarity posted:

I really enjoyed watching the TVIV Couch Chat in 2014, the show had another stellar year. The addition of Annakie to the writers room really freshened up the storylines and Deadpool continued to deliver the dialogue we love him for. Shame that some of the new casting choices haven't worked out (hopefully they figure out how to limit Ravane's screentime this season) but the Toxx/precision romance was on point, IRQ's arc of losing his grumpy nature was heartwarming and Irish Joe continued to be the show's MVP. Can't wait to see what they produce this year!

Rarity has been an albatross around the shows neck for literally years now and they show no signs of writing her out, I'm not confident continuing forward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Annakie is a ladymod

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Sophia posted:

Someone name a TV show where they liked its ending and also genuinely liked the show (i.e. the ending can't be liked because it was simply put out of its misery like a dying dog).

Breaking bad, fnl, and SFU come immediately to mind

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yo this week's PoI was p loving swell

P loving swell, guys

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Hey regy rusty the end of broadchurch season one left kind of a bitter taste in my mouth, does series two fix that

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

My main issue with series one is how everyone- everyone -who is a suspect ends up either being or being involved with a pedophile

The first time it's done, with the shop owner, it was a clever bit of parallelism but by the end I was just rolling my eyes that every suspect ended up not committing the murder, but being a pedophile anyways

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

raditts posted:

I'm just waiting for CSI: Superhuman Syber Squad or whatever they're calling the spinoff that had that hilariously bad backdoor pilot a year or two ago.

That was CSI: Cyber and it was cancelled

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

OTOH Charley Koontz is gonna be main cast on that show, and he deserves it since he did incredible work on Community and this'll run at least 5 seasons, during which he'll pick up a paycheck

and lets be honest Koontz is realistically gonna have a career as a character actor so landing main cast on CSI is a p big get for him

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The undisputed king will always be Life's files in the xbox copy of prince of persia, which might be the single most incredible thing i've ever seen

remember the part where the gamer agent says he'll have no trouble beating level 6 because he's got a "star trek costume in his closet"? remember the part where the female agent lady ghost plays the game? remember the lovely papyrus font overlay they put over gameplay of PoP to signify "levels" had been beaten? remember the insanity of the idea of keeping files in an xbox, not only that but having them unlocked via beating part of a video game?

that scene is like five minutes long but is so ludicrous one has memories of different parts of how dumb it is

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Bown posted:

Holy gently caress, Woody Allen is doing an original series for Amazon.

Reminder that Woody Allen raped his then-seven-year-old stepdaughter, then felt like it was a swell idea to attack her via an editorial

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 13, 2015

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Decius posted:

Reminder that it's not quite so simple as about 50000 pages of discussion in CD will show you.

The argument lies in whether or not one can or should enjoy the works of a rapist, not if woody Allen is a rapist

Since he's a rapist

A child rapist, in fact

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

raditts posted:

Joel McHale is more realistic, he would probably jump ship on Community

He would never, ever, EVER do this, ever, he loves that show more than Dan Harmon does

*pulls ripcord and parachutes out of thread*

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

raditts posted:

I was kind of hoping those lyrics would fit along with the theme song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR2muizVgwU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

After binging through Black Mirror (and Utopia months ago) - we're looking for more "super weird British shows." Any recommendations?

may i introduce you to a tv show called "doc-tor who"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

CBS
(massive gap)
ABC - has as many moderate successes as it does massive failures
FOX - strictly by virtue of having the leviathan Empire in its ranks
CW - In terms of relative success, naturally. the big 4 atings have dropped to the point that there's crossover with the CW's heights.
NBC - remains a dumpster fire that will almost certainly be rebranding soon without comedy beyond SNL and mid-season/summer shows

yeah like Hannibal :getin:

nbc is near the top due solely to football and the voice, dude

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

precision posted:

It's getting really hard to keep track of which posters have bad opinions that I'm supposed to ignore!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

muscles like this? posted:

The biggest example is the first season of The Walking Dead, which was setting ratings records for AMC and instead of giving them as much money as the needed they nickel and dimed the production even going so far as to keep the tax break the show was supposed to get for filming in Georgia.

Toxxupation posted:

actually it was both and neither

Matt Weiner wanted a pay raise from Lionsgate for Mad Men that was essentially double what he was being paid

Lionsgate went to AMC and pointed out that Weiner was threatening to quit and they (the studio producing Mad Men) didn't want to pay him more

AMC looked at MM and saw its ratings (which had been and always were low) and decided against giving him a pay raise

Lionsgate then investigated whether or not they could change showrunners, they apparently called Aaron Sorkin (former showrunner of The West Wing and currently not doing anything after writing The Social Network) and he literally laughed them off the phone, which is saying something because he's the most self-centered and egotistical showrunner in the business, and even he wanted nothing to do with taking over for Weiner

so lionsgate was forced to work out a deal with AMC wherein they gave him the pay raise they searched for

AMC then cut the budget for TWD Season 2, which they were wholly producing so they could do that, which is why TWD Season 2 is set on the farm for almost all of its run...because they had literally no budget because all the money that was there went to Weiner's pay raise

At around this time Gilligan was spinning up Breaking Bad Season 5, which he wanted to be 16 episodes over 13 as was traditional because he had a longer story to tell

Sony, the studio producing BB, went to AMC, which at this point was desperately cash-strapped after forking over for Weiner's demands and budgets TWD S2

So AMC responded they wanted a shorter final season (figuring that the ratings for BB had always been so-so and they already paid a shitload of cash out-of-pocket for their "prestige" cable drama that got low ratings), 6-8 episodes

Sony threw a shitfit and started courting other cable channels- apparently HBO was genuinely interested in the pickup, and AMC was placed over a barrel by Gilligan threatening to quit if he didn't get the episode order he wanted and Sony ready to play super, duper hardball

To make the finances make sense and because casts are paid on a per-season basis, AMC struck a deal: 16 episodes, split over two 8 episode "half seasons" (so the cast wouldn't get a pay raise), which would split the production costs over two fiscal years

everyone walked away happy

gilligan has said on record that he couldn't have broken 16 scripts in the time allotted if he didn't have the break, which is helped by the pushback for Better Call Saul literally being because scripts weren't ready in time for a fall 2014 premiere like AMC had planned, but who knows, it could've been just gilligan being nice and covering for AMC, especially when considering he had executed 13-script seasons in the three seasons before season 5

the irony, of course, is that ultimately it was a combination of both poo poo budgeting and gilligan needing the extra time to think the conclusion through properly, but all the tea leaves point to more the former than the latter

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

pentyne posted:

People are expecting Mad Men to sweep the awards for its final season, so there's a good chance she wins.

*ducks into thread* no they don't *ducks out of thread*

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

*ducks back into thread* I remember when I literally called what would happen in the season 2 finale weeks before it aired and everyone in it said i was crazy and incorrect because they were still under the false belief that homeland was a good show *ducks back out of thread*

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I'm building a list of shows that came out in 2015, that were good, that TVIV may have forgotten about for Reasons. basically the list is meant to jog people's memories on shows they might have watched, and appreciated, then quickly forgotten in the all-consuming haze that is Peak TV

here's my list so far:

quote:

iZombie
My Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
Empire
Bojack Horseman (season 2)
Show Me a Hero
The Jinx
Sense8
The Americans (season 3)
Black-ish
Fresh Off the Boat
Daredevil
The Last Man on Earth
Another Period
Better Call Saul
Bloodline
The Comeback (season 2)
Halt and Catch Fire (season 2)

The point of the list is to be at least somewhat short, of shows likely to make people's top 10, that are, most importantly, prone to people forgetting about them due to either 1) not being watched, 2) having aired early in the year, or 3) both. anyways, suggest to me any additions to this list

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

everyone watch this http://www.cbsnews.com/news/former-kgb-spy-jack-barsky-steve-kroft-60-minutes-steve-kroft/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

DivisionPost posted:

I haven't done mine yet because I'm currently overdoing it, as I do; maybe I should call my list "Deezus." I also wanna try and finish up Halt & Catch Fire, The Americans, and Jessica Jones before I firm up their ranks.

Anyway, I hope you're ready for long, strangely-worded essays about the poo poo I've been watching!

definitely the first two, not so much the last one

*flies away as a choir lifts him to the heavens, growing a halo over his head*

• Locked thread