Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

pentyne posted:

I'd like to petition to add Ravane and Irish Joe to rule 3.

Wow, second post of the thread and I'm already mentioned. :allears:

All I ever wanted to be, ever since I was a little transgender girl, was a popular kid. Now I've achieved that as a man.

Mo0 posted:

I feel like if I'd been born 5 years later I'd post on twitter about as much as I do message boards now

As it stands I can't loving understand twitter, and I've tried multiple times to get the appeal

Twitter appeals to one's inner narcissism, it's a game of trying to get the most followers, while also avoiding going around begging for followers. The moment you think of how few followers you have, you lose. I have 21, gently caress.

The point is to be a social media god. Kim Kardashian actually capitalized on this by selling her app about being a social media god by paying for in-app purchases. As you can see, I've been keeping up with the Kardashians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
^^^ Wait Wasn't Annakie creating the OP for Galavant?

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

JohnSherman posted:

I asked him for it.

Ah gotcha. Also, Annakie is a girl.

I heard that Galavant's first season was going to be really short. Like it's only going to be four episodes or something and it's finishing in a single month. Do they want this show to die?

Ravane fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jan 2, 2015

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Irish Joe posted:

The sad part is that the younger generation is bringing their Twitter mentality to message boards. You used to post on message boards with the intent and expectation of having long-form conversations with other people. Nowadays, there's a large segment of posters who get downright offended if you reply to them with anything but unmitigated praise. Why the gently caress are you posting if you don't want people to read and reply to your messages? If you want to be the lonely king of poo poo mountain, go on Twitter where you can block out anything and anyone who upsets you.

Absolutely, it's like these posters think that whatever they've posted is this pinnacle of perfection, that it's not an opinion, it's not even a fact, but some universal truth that they are spouting and any other conflicting opinion must be some form of trolling. It's quite disturbing to see this display of narcissism, and yet on other websites like Reddit, it's put on a pedestal like a badge of honor: "The Hivemind".

The upside to these older message boards is that nothing is generally hidden and nothing can be "downvoted" or reported out of the way. Every post gets equal treatment, regardless of quality or merit.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

raditts posted:

I like the idea of it and will watch Lassiter in pretty much anything, but ABC burning it off two episodes at a time in January doesn't speak of high confidence.
That, and the only two other TV musicals I can think of are Cop Rock and Viva Laughlin, so there's not really a good pedigree for the genre.

Lassie is exactly why I'm watching this show.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Josh Lyman posted:

Is it going to be almost 2015 all year? :ohdear:

It's only 2015 when this technology goes mainstream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSheVhmcYLA

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Irish Joe posted:

Hey guys, did you know Back to the Future 2 took place in 2015? Where are all the hoverboards, am I right? :lol:

I've actually never seen the Back to the Future series, I'm just good at referencing it.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

I used onlinecharttool.com and then mspaint

Annakie, please teach this man the right way to make an image with a 30 minute tutorial.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Rarity posted:

They should have gone with the one mooted option that Lily was an android. It would have made her samurai storyline much more poignant.

It was Marshall that went to Japan, not Lily.

e: Nevermind, apparently Lily went to Japan as well. Also, I guess this is a real thing: https://twitter.com/search?q=%23HowIMetYourRacism

Ravane fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 4, 2015

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Whoever said that television comedy ages terribly was absolutely on point. I attempted to watch Friends seriously, from the beginning, after constantly hearing praise about it being better than HIMYM. I tried to finish the first season, but I just couldn't get into it, leaving it after just a few episodes. I enjoyed most of HIMYM and I watched it live; I tried a rewatch and the jokes were still decent, but I couldn't do it again.. Never made it through 30 Rock season 1 when I watched it in 2013. Not sure why these shows suffered so much, it could have been because the main characters, Ross and Ted just complained so goddamn much. Thinking back, I don't know how I suffered through 9 seasons of Ted complaining, sure as hell not going to listen to Ross complain for 10 seasons. I could be wrong about 30 Rock, but I just didn't think it was good. Big Bang Theory has four characters that spend every season complaining about something. Pretty sure they all have girlfriends and they're still complaining about poo poo.

Fresh Prince cried once about his dad abandoning him, and spent the rest of his air time making jokes. The Nanny's only character who complained was the rich lady, and she constantly had terrible things happen to her, and the butler just spent X seasons making fun of her. It was amazing.

I'm not a fan of Full House because it's too 90's, but even they dealt with their problems, they didn't just complain about them. Family Matters main character complained constantly, but at least he dealt with his problem by killing Urkel in the finale: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_5EU7MVBmQ.

I guess I just really dislike shows with terrible, annoying main characters.

Despite not being very funny, at least Parks and Rec doesn't suffer from annoying main characters syndrome. Same with Modern Family.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Sophia posted:

Someone name a TV show where they liked its ending and also genuinely liked the show (i.e. the ending can't be liked because it was simply put out of its misery like a dying dog).

I sincerely loved Lost. I watched it a few months back and I thought the show was brilliant, and though there were a few moments that seemed a bit over the top, the ending was absolutely perfect. I can't imagine it ending any other way, it was truly beautiful.

I liked Almost Human, the ending was very organic. They didn't know whether they were being cancelled or not, but they knew that regardless of whether the show continued, the friendship between Dorian and Kennex would blossom. At the end, the show resembled a longer version of Judge Dredd, where the season was just a small peek into their complex lives. So I'm glad it ended the way it did, with just regular banter between Kennex and Dorian. There wasn't any major revelation, the resolution wasn't magnanimous, it was just two guys talking before they drove home, it was normal life. How many endings do we see that are that simple? A complex ending, an ending that ties everything together isn't always ideal. For that, Almost Human deserves accolades for just portraying normal life.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

PriorMarcus posted:

This was all well said and I agree with it, even if the goofiness of Lost ending didn't appeal to me.

Just because you're too stupid to understand the lost ending doesn't make it goofy, is what I would say.

But I'm turning over a new leaf this year. I love you PriorMarcus.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

GreenNight posted:

Ha, poo poo. Was looking forward to that.

You have really bad opinions. I can't believe anyone actually thought that show was even decent. The characters were as as complex as a monosaccharide.

You didn't think the ending was terrible? Where this thing appears for no reason at all:

"The After" can spider crawl back where it came from.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

I can't understand this format, there are no numbers or ranking systems of any kind.

muscles like this? posted:

You really just want to start with the miniseries and then go on to the regular series. You can pretty much ignore the movies as well as Caprica and or Blood and Chrome.

Blood and Chrome was rather decent, I quite liked it. Caprica was delightful as well, though attempting a rewatch is rather difficult because it suffers from an ingratiatingly slow-paced plot. It's good for a one-time watch-through though.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Sober posted:

Yeah but you get to see Olmos' wife topless at least.

It's Dr. Olmos.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Boatswain posted:

So I've been watching some Battlestar Galactica now & I can't get over stupid it is that they use frack instead of gently caress, especially when they say fracking :laffo:

Yeah, that's exactly why I thought Star Wars was stupid, because they didn't curse like normal Earthlings despite Earth not existing in that universe. And I completely expect people from a planet called Caprica to curse exactly the same way as people from Earth, despite not having the same historical background and language basis. :smuggo:

Actually, all these science fiction shows suffer from not being more varied in language. At least in Star Trek, each race had their own idioms. toDSaH naQ SoH.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

raditts posted:

And you don't find it strange that everybody in the galaxy just happens to speak English?

Everyone speaks "English" because they all hail from Caprica originally. There are languages aside from English, like the Tauron language of Gangstaspeak.

Irish Joe posted:

Actually they do since we are all descendants of the Capricians.

That's true, which means that the ancient Capricans would laugh at us for using the word gently caress, a perversion of the original Frack.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Rocksicles posted:

100% ONBOARD! It was gooood.

Birkoff man, how can it be bad.

I agree. 12 Monkeys trailer was pretty great. I'm just worried they'll be cancelled due to budgetary restrictions like every good syfy show.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Mu Zeta posted:

The main bland guy sucked and looked like Hitler youth.

I was going to say a hipster, but these days the difference is subtle.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

pentyne posted:

So tomorrow starts the Lets Watch the Sopranos thread with the very first episode. There were 5-10 people who posted in the thread how they'd be up for watching the show for the first time and a couple others just interested in re-watching the series and discussing. I'd like for every episode to have at least 5 people watching it for the first time and sharing their thoughts on the episode with no knowledge of what comes next.

Sopranos? Not really into singing shows myself.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Rocksicles posted:

I would of thought for sure you'd be into musicals

As a brown person, musicals are my Charlie Hebdo.

Galavant is an exception because Omundson is great.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Eezee posted:

Just saw the trailer for Vince Gilligan's new show and I don't think it could be more generic if it tried. I hope it's just a lovely trailer, but I really expected that he would do something original. I doubt he had a shortage of job offers after Breaking Bad ended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9esEjX02m4I

Adding this to the list of police procedurals, I'm not going to watch.

Breaking Bad itself, had decent writing, but the pacing was terribly slow. I only binge watched the show and I almost couldn't get through certain seasons because they were so boring. The finale was great, despite leaving several loose ends. It just wasn't an amazing show; I didn't love the ending. I didn't feel like the final antagonists (the rednecks) were developed enough to actually make them plot worthy. They stole walter's money, but they barely had any air time, so when they got killed, I was just like "oh okay, that didn't really surprise me." The main antagonist, Hank, was killed earlier, so it should have just been about Walter wrapping things up. I seriously doubt he'd have the technical expertise to create a machine that pops out of the trunk, he's a chemist, not an engineer. If he had just threatened the rich people and forced them to give him their money, as a final act of desperation, that would have been perfect. Because it negates everything he stood for, and at the end, all he is is just a petty criminal. But no, they made him kill all rednecks, who nobody really cared about, Jesse got away (or did he because Police know his face, it's not like he'll be able to make it too far), and Walter supposedly dies. It was an okay ending.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

raditts posted:

Don't believe these lies, NCIS is a really bad show. Unless she is suggesting shows that are so forgettably formulaic that you can tell 90% of what's going to happen in an episode without ever actually watching it.

she's not lying. Tons of people watch NCIS and similar shows on CBS because they are consistently entertaining. They may terrible, but they garner a huge audience.

I doubt that anyone who watches a police procedural seriously, is actually smart enough to realize how repetitive they are.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

raditts posted:

Like 90% of the shows on television are loving "procedurals" if your definition is "plot is mostly self-contained to a single episode with maybe a couple of plot threads that extend to later episodes."

Man, Simpsons is such a procedural show. Every time they do that couch gag, I vomit in my mouth, so predictable.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

raditts posted:

It's not really like The Layover but it is a fun show. They follow a minor celebrity - some of the ones in season 1 were Joel McHale, Aziz Anzari, and Seth Meyers (and the twin brother he apparently has) - around for a week at some world location. I like it better than most of Bourdain's shows because you don't have to deal with Bourdain's know-it-all narration and general douchery.

If you need your Bourdain fix you've still got Parts Unknown on CNN, which seems more like No Reservations.

I actually watch it for Bourdain's douchery. Guy knows a lot about travelling, he humbles me.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Man, I hope they include Fresh Prince.

:sadfan:

I'll post this again if AV club doesn't include Fresh Prince. I also hope it includes Smart Guy and Sister, Sister. Man, the last 25 years was great for black people.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

I didn't know that. :triggered: drat you tumblr. First you tell me that pussy comes from the word pusillanimous, now this. When will you ever tell me the truth?

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

At least Will smith made the non-list list. :sadfan:

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

IRQ posted:

we definitely won't have all been on probation all along since page 15.

Only the sideways pages took place in probation.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Deadpool posted:

Here's Thomas Jane looking goofy as hell in space. If you're into that sort of thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X5gXIQmY-E

At around 35 seconds, some douche is having zero-gravity sex; previously it was thought to be physiologically impossible. After all, some men can't achieve erections on earth, what chance do they have in space? But it turns out, space sex is a very real thing: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/r62jp/iama_nasa_astronaut_that_recently_returned_to/c437nfi

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Deadpool posted:

Do we really?

It's been a decade since Galactica. We do need a space tv show.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

you've convinced me. it's time for a rewatch!

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

zoux posted:

I don't know when this is from but it's great.
http://www.hulu.com/watch/126486

He said it's entering it's fourth season. Burn Notice ended in 2013 on season 7, so it's from 2010.

Edit: damnit ^^^

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
I liked the BSG finale. It remained spiritual to its roots and at the same implied that the cycle of cylons may just continue until one side or the other is wiped out completely.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Rabbit Hill posted:

The Heroes reboot already happened, it was called Alphas and was awesome, and the network jerks cancelled it on the worst cliffhanger ever. :argh:

It wasn't the worst cliffhanger. Everybody died. That's resolution.

Better than this drivel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcGMlP60NJA

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Annakie posted:

Just watched The Man in the High Castle pilot.

Am now mad that there's no more The Man in the High Castle for me to watch.

I also watched Down Dog because I like Paget Brewster and I wasn't very impressed, at all. :(

Agreed on both parts.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

FactsAreUseless posted:

Only people who grew up watching Malcolm in the Middle can legitimately appreciate Breaking Bad.

The Malcolm in the Middle finale is a litmus test to see if you like Malcolm in the Middle or not.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

EL BROMANCE posted:

Enjoy some screenshots though : http://imgur.com/a/QCwN8

What the heck? I don't remember aliens being in X-files? Is this some german addition?

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Never actually watched the X-files, thought it was about ghosts actually. Season 9 appears to have come out when I was 10, it's understandable why I never watched it. Might catch the reboot though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

ufarn posted:

You're killing me here.

Big fan of Kyle Xy if that makes you feel better. I may have seen a scene or two of X-files, the intro music is certainly recognizable. I remember someone mentioning that Kumail Nanjiani does a commentary on each of the episodes of X-files, so I may check that out sometime later this year.

• Locked thread