Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PaganGoatPants posted:

Oh I thought it was gonna be like the beginning of SHIELD or something.

She's with the organisation that eventually becomes SHIELD, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

raditts posted:

That, and the only two other TV musicals I can think of are Cop Rock and Viva Laughlin, so there's not really a good pedigree for the genre.

There's Glee, though it may not count.

Remember when Glee was a big deal?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Blackadder Goes Forth; it had the only ending it could have.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PriorMarcus posted:

Also, I'd like to add Stargate SG1, Stargate Atlantis, Stargate Universe, Jericho, Six Feet Under, The Office (both) and Misfits to my list.

What are you counting as the SG-1 finale? "Unending", Ark of Truth or Continuum?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Only Fools and Horses had a great finale in 1996. Shame about the ones they did after Buster Merryfield's passing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pillowpants posted:

I wish they would make a TV series based on Harry Turtledoves "Southern Victory" series where the South wins the civil war and 12 books chronicle up through the 1960's.

The first book (How Few Remain) would be an interesting miniseries or telemovie, but beyond that, I think the series is pretty lazily written; by the end of it, it felt like he'd copied and pasted a Second World War history book and done a Search and Replace for "Nazi Germany" with "the Confederates", "Adolf Hitler" with "Jake Featherston", and "the USSR" with "the United States of America".

Speaking of which, did you know that Sam Carsten needs to slather himself constantly with sunscreen because he burns easily? He needs to do because he has such fair skin and burns easily. Churchill has the gift of the gab and a character will comment on it every single time his name is mentioned. Also, Sam Carsten burns easily, so he needs to wear lots of sunscreen, and his internal monologue will mention this fact in every chapter where he's viewpoint character.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rarity posted:

David Anders you say? Sold

I looked Anders up on Wikipedia fairly recently and I was really surprised to see how young he is. He was, what, 21 when he played Julian Sark?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I hope I don't come off as rude or anything, since I'm genuinely curious, but is it possible to pinpoint an exact instance when a series being "procedural" became such a big mark against it?

I mean, I remember when Agents of SHIELD started, the fact that it was a procedural series was a pretty big criticism it often seemed to get.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Right, that seems clear enough. Thanks.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember I was mad keen on Spooks for a while, at least for the first four seasons.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MrAristocrates posted:

Page 3 or bust.

A short-lived late night talk show on Fox News, hosted by Kelvin MacKenzie to compete with Piers Morgan on CNN.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

GreenNight posted:

The Heroes Reboot is still happening and gets Zachary Levi to star:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/heroes-reboot-taps-zachary-levi-764347

After I'd given up on Heroes, I heard that Bryan Fuller went back to it (Pushing Daisies had just been cancelled) and then left almost immediately because he decided it was impossible to salvage anything from it by that point. Any truth to that?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

raditts posted:

I don't really agree with the first, but I thought everyone agreed universally with the second.

Was The X-Files the start of the "every genre show must have a big, mysterious, twisty-turny mythology arc" or is the credit/blame more justly assignable to Lost?

I mean, of course The X-Files did it first, but is it the one everyone tries to emulate?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

raditts posted:

Definitely Lost. Despite X-Files leaning more on its lovely mythology toward the end, it still maintained its strength in its self-contained episodes. And I don't remember any shows that tried to piggyback off X-Files narrative structure, whereas when Lost hit it big you couldn't change the channel without running into another terrible serialized me-too.

I don't know, when I watched it the whole way through last year, I thought seasons eight and nine weren't quite as strong even on the MOTW front. I think a lot of the series' success rests on the shoulders of Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny (which isn't meant as a slight on Robert Patrick by any means).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rocksicles posted:

Irish Joe is Uncle Ruckus?

No relation.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sober posted:

Honestly I'm fine with wait and see on a crossover, but if they keep it in the same continuity, no Superman is probably more interesting to me.

Before details of the project were announced, I'd actually assumed it would probably just be the same basic story as Superman, but with Supergirl instead of Clark Kent. You know, so Supergirl is the one shot into space when Krypton explodes, crashes in Kansas, and is found and raised by the Kents.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Aphrodite posted:

That actually is her origin. Just with a big gap between the crash and found.

Yeah, but what I mean is that the TV series could've had it that she landed on Earth and was found as a baby, and then raised by the Kents into adulthood.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, I just meant that it's not as big a change as people might think.

Alexandra "Girl Lex" Danvers.

Right, okay, I understand now.

I know the "Danvers" surname was part of the comic character for decades, but I wonder if the fact they're going with "Kara Danvers" rather than "Linda Danvers" is a conscious effort to pre-empt "Carol Danvers", who will be the main character of Marvel's forthcoming Captain Marvel movie? :tinfoil:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Metropolis posted:

Has any show had a worse fall from grace than Homeland?

Heroes?

Granted, it didn't have as far to fall.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The cast of Glee were nominated for Grammy awards. They didn't win, but if they had, the Grammys giving out Song of the Year to what's essentially a karaoke act probably would've been a new nadir for them.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Even in their Beauty and the Beast remake.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How entertaining (please note that I said how entertaining and not how good) is True Blood? Is it worth watching if I enjoy stories with vampires?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Righto. Thanks for the insight, everyone. Recently, I thought, "I fancy something with vampires in it," and since I've already watched Buffy and Angel (not to mention my personal favourite vampire-themed series, Forever Knight), it's been either True Blood or The Vampire Diaries, as far as I can see. The former is finished, anyway, while the latter is not, and it has fewer episodes per season. I might try that once I'm done with Farscape.

But seriously, Forever Knight is probably the best low-budget Candian vampire detective series from the 1990s starring a Welshman there's ever been.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What was the other low-budget Canadian vampire detective series from the 1990s? Had C. Thomas Howell in it? Lasted about eight episodes before it was cancelled?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Have you seen Ultraviolet? British miniseries about vampires starring Jack Davenport, Susannah Harker, Idris Elba and Philip Quast.

I have that one on my list, along with Neverwhere. I'm thinking I'll watch Neverwhere when I've finished the novel.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

J-Spot posted:

Has a post Super Bowl slot ever had a significant impact on an existing show's regular ratings? I can't think of any in recent memory.

I think Alias had its highest-rated episode ever when it was on after the Super Bowl. Not sure, though.

Edit: Oh, I'm sorry, I misunderstood your question.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 4, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rocksicles posted:

Obviously i mean the Englishness of the writing, characters and the actors, location for that matter too plays a part.
I don't care how good Fincher is. When this comes out it will be totally different, it will have it's own charms, but it won't have the things that make this version so good.

Like House of Cards, I suppose.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Are there many series which started with a two-part story? Not in the "feature-length pilot" fashion, but in the sense that episodes one and two are one story in two parts. The only examples that occur to me off the top of my head are Buffy the Vampire Slayer and The Dead Zone but I imagine there are more.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor Spaceman posted:

BSG started with a 2-part miniseries.

I've thought of another: Forever Knight.

They're definitely rare, though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, I didn't know that.

I've only watched most of these things on DVD. I know Fringe had a two-hour pilot, for instance; was it broadcast originally as parts one and two?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I wish the BBC would revive Robot Wars. :allears:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mu Zeta posted:

I remember seeing a few episodes of the British robot fighting show and it was terrible. All the robots barely did anything and just kind of nudged each other. At least the US version had those wedge flippers that threw robots 20 feet into the air.

This one is pretty fun.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yeah, I loving hate jokes, bring on the intelligent political commentary.

The Daily Show with Ian Hislop?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

They've tried at least at least three separate times over the years to get an American version going. If they can't get it launched with Norm MacDonald as the host, it's probably one of those things that just isn't meant to be.

Perhaps it's down to the differences between British and American political satire. I do not know what these differences are but I'm fairly sure they exist.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PriorMarcus posted:

Well we don't do zero stars. We had a long meeting about this.

All must have prizes.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

One of those "Is that still on?" shows for me, along with Grey's Anatomy.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've been thinking about re-watching the first season of Heroes to see if it's really as good as I thought it was at the time, or if it just seemed better in light of the three subsequent seasons.

Is there any series that had a worse sophomore slump than Heroes?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
They'll have to tie it all back to Chicago Hope.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How about Law & Order: Illegal Police Black Site? You could set that in Chicago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Yeah, you don't want to get to close to me or you might cut yourself on all my edges.

• Locked thread