Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

zoux posted:

Irish Joe had another bravura performance in the TVIV Top Show Poll Thread.

Also lol at both Arrow and Flash making top ten lists and I say that as a massive fan of both shows.

"Your top ten shows can be anything you want, as long as they are the same as mine"

If you want to go down that road, we should be having a discussion about why The Americans is 19th and why Peaky Blinders didn't crack the top 50.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

zoux posted:

Hmm let me check my reference list and...yeah I have you listed under Mega Bad Opinions Guy.

Just because Peter Pan Live was on my top 10 list doesn't mean you have to get all personal. :colbert:

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwC5lK8OK7I

And so begins this post,
With me your gracious host,
About a show known as Galavant.
With Menken in the chair
And Lassiter everywhere
There is no show quite like Galavant.
Sure, they are cheap archetypes,
But, the cast have great windpipes.
Oh, it’s lots to watch, I know
But gently caress you, just do so
To see what’s up with…

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Ravane posted:

^^^ Wait Wasn't Annakie creating the OP for Galavant?

I asked for it.

e: I'm dumb.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 2, 2015

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Leverage's finale was pretty great.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

I feel dumber having read this article. The shows might not be trash, but the AV Club's writers certainly are.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 5, 2015

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

timp posted:

This was posted in GBS but I feel like it will be appreciated here too.

69 TV intros re-imagined by forums poster RaceFat thread / YouTube Playlist

They're listed on the playlist in the order they were written and they get better as they progress. Still, I'd recommend just picking a show you recognize and going from there. My personal favorites are True Detective, The Americans, Doug, and The West Wing, but they're all great in their own way.

I watched a few of them, and as a whole they're pretty lovely and one-note.

It does remind me that The West Wing is probably the only show that could drape the American flag over the entire credits sequence without it seeming grossly patriotic.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Hopefully with all the episodes being aired in full, people will actually realize that even the most memorable casts struck out as much as they hit it out of the park.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Ariza posted:

What article? Is Top Gear disappearing too? I thought that was one of the (if not the most) popular shows in the world, but I'm not sure if that makes it more or less likely to go away. I just started watching Season 1 again and I was hoping to get caught back up.

Variety claims that most of Top Gear will be disappearing, with only seasons 17-20 remaining on Netflix.

I'm kind of bummed that Spooks/MI-5 is going away.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jan 18, 2015

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Mo0 posted:

I don't care how many places people find where they cheated and didn't actually do it in one shot, that is a tense as poo poo scene. I *love* long tracking shots like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79ditPebZ8g

I hate long tracking shots, especially for action scenes. The angles are always lovely and you end up with a bunch of small (but noticeable) mistakes in the choreography that nobody wants to correct.

It's a bad gimmick.

That shot from 19-2 is a great example. Because of the refusal to cut, you've got three people who just crawl right towards the gunman with no good explanation as to why.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 21, 2015

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Ravane posted:

They crawled to the hero because he pointed the gun at them and wanted them as hostages.

That's the problem though. They sacrificed clarity and coverage, and all they got in return was a fairly dull shot.

This episode of Flashpoint covers a similar situation and does it in a far more interesting way, mostly because cutting allowed them to keep the tension up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUSr7HCxdNY (9:55-11:30 for a short example)

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

The Nightly Show will hopefully learn from the mistake it made with putting Godfrey on a panel. You need people who are politically knowledgeable and/or able to be funny on a panel, neither of which applies to Godfrey.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

hcreight posted:

A lot of people don't care for the first few episodes but you should know by episode 7 whether the show is for you or not.

But this thread has told me that I can't make a decision to stop watching a show unless I've seen every episode!

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

I didn't even know cancer was still a thing.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

"When does Cold Case come out on DVD" is not a sentence I thought I would ever hear.

Cold Case owns. I'm sorry you hate fun.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

I think Royal Pains might have the most egregious product placement, though White Collar's proselytizing of Ford comes in a close second.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFIrmOAMqxg

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Right, I'm just curious if an actual TV show tried to justify them or something. Besides Fox and Friends.

The closest I can think of off hand is Low Winter Sun.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

blunt posted:

I like Man Seeking Woman but the fact that it's getting another season when Legit didn't is crazy.

Legit not getting another season was the right decision. FX realized how important it is to keep DJ Qualls' dumb face off television.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 4, 2015

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

GreenNight posted:

You can watch his dumb face in Z-Nation too.

Some networks still haven't gotten the message. SciFi is one, Amazon is another. I'm hoping he's quickly dispatched in The Man in the High Castle.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Something should never be described as a charity marathon unless it involves a lot of running. :colbert:

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Shageletic posted:

Is there a second season of Married happening?

Unfortunately.

It's even staying on FX.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

How much of a presence is Tracy Morgan on 30 Rock? I've seen a couple episodes, and would like to watch it in earnest, but I've always been turned off by having to put up with someone as unfunny as Tracy Morgan.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Jingleheimer posted:

I remember a while back in the last thread someone posted a site that you could calculate how much time you've spent watching television. Does anybody have a link to it for it? I want to show someone how much time they spend watching tv.

http://tiii.me

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

VDay posted:

You're Ravane'ing pretty hard here, Jonathan Frakes is plenty famous and has done a ton of directing work in TV since TNG.

Ah yes, the director of Thunderbirds and Clockstoppers. How could I not have heard of him?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

muscles like this? posted:

Frakes is popular in the TV industry because he's an efficient director . He even has a nickname because of it, "Two Takes Frakes."

I'm honestly interested in what makes a good TV director. Last night, The Americans was directed by one of its stars, Noah Emmerich, and it really just felt like an episode of The Americans.

Really, how important can the job of a director of a random television episode be? The showrunners/writers are in control of the episode's story, the cinematographer is in control of the look of the show, and the actors all know their parts better than the director could hope to. Do they have much influence in anything?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

GreenNight posted:

I'd watch a show called Everybody Hates Christ.

It's called Seinfeld.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Usually it's the Castle channel.

TNT always has the best reruns. Watching old episodes of Las Vegas is always fun.

Also, since the OTA thread died a premature death, does anyone know of an inexpensive, no-contract DVR that can connect to an antenna? Preferably one that allows you to easily move files to a computer.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Deadpool posted:

Who cares about Game of Thrones when things like this are about to exist. Fox is ordering a show where Arthur Conan Doyle and Harry Houdini team up to solve supernatural crimes.

http://deadline.com/2015/03/houdini-and-doyle-series-fox-itv-shaw-media-1201394425/

My NaNoWriMo novel is going to look even less original than it did before. :qq:

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Junkenstein posted:

Haven't finished Kimmy Schmidt yet and Daredevil is on in a few weeks. We seem to be reaching the point where there will always be new Netflix Original content for me to watch.

That seems to be Netflix's plan.

quote:

All told, the company this year expects to launch 320 hours of new and returning original series, as well as films, documentaries and stand-up comedy specials, which is three times the amount of original programming Netflix released in 2014, they said.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

thrakkorzog posted:

Are there any CW shows left that are actually focused on teenagers?

I don't watch them, but maybe Reign or The 100? It seems like most of the shows on the CW involve characters closer to 30 than 18. There's still a bit of pretty white people with problems, but I can let that slide when their problems involve psychic gorillas.

They killed off Starcrossed, so not really.

I think ABC Family stole the "alleged teenagers and their problems" focus from the CW, which is perfectly fine with me.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Malt posted:

Does The Newsroom pick up past season 1?

The West Wing was great, but this feels like they took the exact same formula and applied it to a news group minus all the amazing characters and proper setting for the deep, profound importance they want you to feel 10 times an episode.

The show stays basically the same from season 1 to season 2, so there isn't much point continuing if you're not into it.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

Ahaha, Sutter's new programme sounds like absolute poo poo.

Official Show Thread!

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

raditts posted:

They did order it to (a very short-lived) series though, didn't they? I'm almost positive I turned the channel away from it a couple times around 2006-2007, but it was so forgettable that I'm not 100% sure.

Yes

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

Vice's coverage of the Russian invasion of Ukraine has been absolutely stellar. Infinitely better than anything from the established western TV news. For one thing, they actually have reporters reporting from the front

That's because Vice's reporters are people who get their jollies dressing up in body armor and being ~IN THE poo poo~ in some war zone. It's dumb, and they're going to get someone killed.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Deadpool posted:

I'd much rather see people actually in the middle of things they're reporting on than doing well lit two minute remotes 10 miles away and then answering the dumbest questions the anchors back at the studio can think of. But that's just me.

Even if it means that people die for those relatively unimportant location shots?

Vice's guy in Ukraine isn't even that good. Sure, he gets some interesting shots every once in a while, like the surrendering of Ukrainian tanks, but for the most part it's pretty middling. He is terrible at tying what he is seeing to any greater theme or action regarding the conflict as a whole, which is honestly the important part of delivering news.

His reporting about the implications of the conflict is nothing you couldn't find on the website of any half decent regional news outlet, he just happens to deliver it standing in front of a tank.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

It's funny you mention short attention spans, since the practice of sending reporters to get shot at on camera only came into existence because people wanted excitement in their news.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

zoux posted:

What? Are you saying that foreign correspondents don't antedate televised news?

Foreign correspondents existed —and continue to exist— because they are knowledgeable about the region, know the local language, and have sources in the area that they can tap. That is what makes correspondents useful, not their willingness to stand next to a rebel on the frontline.

There is a pretty big difference between a foreign or war correspondent and some dude making a vlog in Donetsk.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 27, 2015

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Deadpool posted:

Hey if you'd rather watch Jon Stewart make fun of CNN for getting sketchy reports from reporters that were barely even half-assing their jobs more power to you. Some people would rather watch reporting from reporters that are actually more interested in reporting important stories than breaking them the fastest.

This is a dumb post. I don't even know how it relates to anything I've said.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

zoux posted:

I don't think anyone knows wtf you are saying.

It's not that hard to understand. I don't like it when news agencies ask reporters to put themselves in harms way to serve as window dressing for the news. You can describe the recent developments of a conflict without having someone shooting a gun in the background. Hundreds of reporters cycled through Iraq, and yet the quality of their work did not depend on whether or not they left the Green Zone.

That's why I called Deadpool's post dumb, because how the gently caress does wanting to keep journalists safe mean that I'm polishing CNN's knob?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

Except they both do it better.

I agree, Tosh and Jeselnik are both very good at being unfunny shock comics.

• Locked thread