Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

PaganGoatPants posted:

I just saw a commercial for SHIELD's "Agent Carter."

She isn't of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Sober posted:

all the white space on the bottom is what?

symbolic for the vast indifferent emptiness of the Universe

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

DrVenkman posted:

I do wish that Amazon would just follow the Netflix model. Make a loving show, stop with this 'make a pilot and view the show the year after' model.

:rolleyes:

You can just not watch the pilots and wait until the show launches. Same result.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

GaussianCopula posted:

Empire had a 3.8 rating in the demo. It will be interesting if they can sustain such monster ratings, because the show itself was not that great. Kevin Reilly is probably smug in his TNT office and plans more musical TV, maybe he will pick up Galavant if ABC drops it.

Instead, he'll save Glee from cancellation.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Also some really good jokes. The banter between Tennant and Colman is great, as is the cinematohraphy.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Regy Rusty posted:

Depends what you didn't like about it. For me what I didn't like about the end of Season 1 was how the mystery isn't so much solved as stumbled onto. That's not going to be an issue for season 2 since it's no longer about a mystery

You must've missed when they introduced the mystery surrounding Tennant's previous botched case (involving Shaun Dooley's character) with the flashbacks and burglary at his home and such.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

IRQ posted:

If you're like me and were turned off by the premise it supposedly isn't like it sounds.

I haven't watched it though.

Jane the Virgin is basically a spiritual successor to this.

So if you liked that, you'll know if you'll like JtV.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Irish Joe posted:

I think its more confusion about why a niche BBC actor would be considered a "big get" for an American network drama.

Especially one that already stars several much bigger movie stars

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

zoux posted:

I don't know when this is from

Details posted:

From Season 35 Episode 14 | Aired on 02/06/2010

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Irish Joe posted:

Except 1) the pregnancy noticeably aged her

Like a fine wine

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
More like Flash in the pan, m I rite

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
I'll wait for the Sex Box 360

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Lugaloco posted:

So I've watched the pilot and... yeesh.

The pilot is really dumb and over-explainy, but it eventually becomes one of the smartest shows on TV.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Vanderdeath posted:

Is Homeland Season 4 any good because I just...couldn't after Season 3.

It's back to its season 1 greatness.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Kurtofan posted:

What's Glee about? Isn't it some college musical show?

Do you live in a cave in the Himalayas

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

pentyne posted:

Oh, and I don't know if it'll be in the US version, but in the AUS version the kid is 4 and the mother is still breast feeding him, so it's that kind of child raising environment.

http://i.imgur.com/NpHxllp.jpg (maybe :nws:)

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

zoux posted:

Seven seasons seems to be the ultimate limit for a TV show to remain good. Are there any shows that have turned in their best seasons in 8+?

Survivor

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Mo0 posted:

How does anyone still have forums cancer?

It's like Unser from Sons of Anarchy who was introduced as having terminal "is going to die any day now" cancer in the pilot and then went on to live with it for another 7 seasons and never died from said cancer at all

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Flatscan posted:

The only thing amazing about going from total poo poo to the low end of mediocrity is that anyone is still watching.

Irish Joe posted:

Just because it isn't monster of the week doesn't mean 1) its any less boring, 2) its any better written and 3) the characters are better developed. Agents of SHIELD is the same show it was when it premiered, and just because they fooled you into thinking its all shiny and new doesn't make it true.

That said, Agents of Carter is really good and everybody should be watching it.

Both of these posts are 100% correct.

It's rather stunning how Agent Carter is actually a legitimately good show compared to the most mediocre and boring show on TV that is AoS.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

'Legitimately good' is a spurious distinction, of relevance only to people insecure in their own tastes, and who feel the need to sneer at the taste of others.

You just created an ouroboros of sneering.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

HUMAN FISH posted:

wouldn't really phase me at all.

You mean like Kitty Pryde

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Rabbit Hill posted:

Uh....I don't even watch the show, but didn't someone just say that that kiss wasn't scripted but adlibbed, so calling it "incredibly cheap, bad storytelling that came out of nowhere" is kind of ridiculous.

Here it is again:

It was one of Caviezel's brain farts, true, but it's on the showrunners that they left it in and didn't cut it because they didn't want to upset their diva actor.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Junkenstein posted:

It seems really strange to me that C4 cancelled Utopia at the same time as all the announcements were being made that essentially guaranteed it being the next big HBO thing.

It had absurdly low ratings, like 700k an episode. It was one of the least surprising cancellations ever.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
e: never mind, misread something

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Zorglorfian posted:

Just watched episode 1 of Utopia. Very excited to see where the show goes, but sad to see it was cancelled.

PS - Thanks for turning me on to a new British show JUST after I finished Black Mirror yesterday. Any other shows that capture the moods that Utopia and Black Mirror set?

Misfits

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

sbaldrick posted:

Come and watch our comedy about semi-incest that makes jokes about it.

Arrested Development?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

zoux posted:

What's the longest a genre show has gone before the thread turned on it?

Fringe had high quality threads until the very end

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Starring Donald Glover as Tingle

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Fooz posted:

The quality of that show depends on the quality of Gannondorf, the best villain.

It's Ganondorf, have you even read the books played the games

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Fooz posted:

One thing in Zelda's favor is a ton of incredible music.

Hence the Netflix series will be a musical, like Glee and Galavant.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

CeeJee posted:

This is the first time I've seen such a drone used in TV or movie filming.

Two recurring characters in Alpha House are actual drones

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

:tinfoil: time

Marry Me didn't get a full back order (effectively cancelled), so Casey Wilson isn't busy.
Benched got cancelled, so Eliza Coupe is free.
Damon Wayans Jr and Adam Pally just left New Girl and Mindy Project, respectively.
Elisha Cuthbert and Zach Knighton are both on mid-season comedies that only have 6 ep orders that are almost certainly in the can by now.

And the writers of Happy Endings posted this on Twitter.

I am trying unsuccessfully not to be really excited even though the countdown ends on April 1st.

http://deadline.com/2015/02/damon-wayans-jr-new-girl-exit-pilot-offers-1201367065/

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Irish Joe posted:

Slapping/Spanking a unruly child is not abuse and calling it abuse is a slap in the face to every child who has actually been abused.

Well they're used to it, so they won't mind

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Spatula City posted:

The other frustrating thing is that Fitz's two closest advisers would both be far better presidents. Cyrus and Mellie are both monstrous, but they're at least adults, and aware of their own hosed-upped-ness. But I suppose that's purposeful, because Shonda Rhimes is trying to make a Big Statement about how loving awful the world is about who they'll accept as leaders. Give them a rich handsome white guy, and practically nothing else matters. But brilliant, strong-willed people like Mellie and Cyrus are relegated to behind-the-scenes operators purely by accidents of their birth.

You should catch up, because as of the latest episode Mellie is officially on course to become the next President (which we have all been rooting for from the beginning).

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

IRQ posted:

Season 1 was hot garbage, but season 2 has improved a LOT. They actually have the pirates doing piratey things now instead of just politicking and the show is a million times better for it.

Except the show is more boring than ever now? I have to wonder if you're even watching it, since the latest episode (the day before yesterday's) was literally all politicking the entire time so it's like you posted the exact opposite of reality.

less laughter fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 17, 2015

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

hcreight posted:

Fun speculation time: I kind of wonder if CC has known Stewart was ready to step down for a while now, and whether they changed the name of Wilmore's show from The Minority Report to The Nightly Show because they're looking at Jessica Williams as the new TDS host.

Nah, just kidding, gonna be another white guy.

http://www.avclub.com/article/jessica-williams-removes-herself-list-future-daily-215310

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Lugaloco posted:

She probably could but I'm pretty sure she's the busiest person on TV at the moment with the amount of stuff she's doing.

And also the least likeable and funny, which is kind of essential for a late night host.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

FactsAreUseless posted:

I also find powerful black women threatening.

I find her personality grating and extremely off-putting, it has nothing to do with her gender or race. It is racist and misogynistic on your part that you can't even talk about a woman of color anymore without playing the race or gender card at the drop of a hat, as if she's beyond critique purely because of said gender and/or race.

less laughter fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 18, 2015

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

raditts posted:

Joel McHale is more realistic, he would probably jump ship on Community and/or The Soup for the opportunity, but then The Soup wouldn't be worth watching and I don't want that to go away.

Just merge the two.

The Daily Soup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
So the Emmy's just got some new rules and got even dumber and less relevant:

quote:

Definition of a "Comedy" and "Drama" Series: To clarify the difference between the "Comedy" and "Drama" series categories, series with episodes of 30 minutes or less are defined as a "Comedy"; those with episodes of more than 30 minutes are presumed to be a "Drama." All programs entering the competition this year will be grouped according to these new definitions.
See, something is only funny when it is shorter than half an hour (brevity is the soul of wit and all), and as soon as something runs longer, better open your tear ducts.

• Locked thread