Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I'd like to petition to add Ravane and Irish Joe to rule 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Deadpool posted:

We're still on page one people. There's no excuse.

Is there a forums equivalent of that thing they did in TNG where Worf is stripped of his honor and all the klingons ceremonially turn their back to him? We should do that.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The Sopranos ending was a glorious moment and ended pretty much perfectly. The fact that 10 years later people still aggressively debate it and if David Chase farts a certain way they claim it validates their opinion is proof that no matter what you think it was still an insanely effective ending.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The Duke posted:

Man, the mid season finale of Agents of SHIELD was actually pretty good! I just got caught up and I think this is the first time I'm really looking forward to seeing where they go now.

All the problems and complaints AoS generated in season 1 were tied to them having to tread water and not do anything big until the current MCU movies came out, especially Winter Soldier. Now it seems like AoS is the vehicle that they'll use to launch new major changes to the MCU so the stories and plots got way, way better because rather then waiting for the movies to dictate what they can do AoS is now leading the MCU expansion.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

I haven't watched any Downton Abbey since the infamous season 3 Christmas episode where Matthew dies.

Are seasons 4 and 5 worth watching?

Not really. Very little interesting new stuff happens. Rose just goes through the old Sybil plotlines, Robert continues to snap and lose his temper then gracefully apologize, Tom feels out of place, then in place, then out of place, Anna gets raped, guy who did it turns up dead, multi-season plot over who killed him, Daisy has been returned to being a moronic child-like person even though by now she must be in her 30s, Mary continues to be an unrelenting bitch to literally everyone, etc.

Just google "Robert Crawly old man fight" for the best part of season 5 and the only thing you really need to see.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
So tomorrow starts the Lets Watch the Sopranos thread with the very first episode. There were 5-10 people who posted in the thread how they'd be up for watching the show for the first time and a couple others just interested in re-watching the series and discussing. I'd like for every episode to have at least 5 people watching it for the first time and sharing their thoughts on the episode with no knowledge of what comes next.

Here's the no spoilers thread

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3689323

And here's the Sopranos general discussion thread, going strong since 2008

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2773659

Rather then 2-3 episodes a week for most show watches I set up the schedule for the same days as the original season aired. Given the insane amount of stuff going on in the show and the massive amounts of speculation and chat the show generated in magazines, newspapers, and water cooler chat (the internet was much smaller in '99) I think a full week to obsess over details, themes, single frame shots of something interesting, etc should be enough. If enough people participate I figure we can start season 2 a few weeks after we finish season 1. I kind of expect most people starting fresh to end up binging the show once they're hooked though.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DrVenkman posted:

I don't know why the gently caress people would get excited about The X-Files coming back, particularly with Carter in charge. It's as if no one saw the latter seasons of the show or the last movie. The heavier into the mythology that Carter got the worse the show became.

Isn't it public knowledge by now that Carter admitted flat out that he made things up on the fly and there was no overarching plot? All the speculation and mystery was for nothing because there was no long term plan, no meta-plot, etc.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
So, Person of Interest is insanely good.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

I only saw the preview clip with Russell Kane, who I cannot stand. He didn't come across as actually drunk in the slightest as he rattled off his awful 'joke' filled retelling of the nativity with a few slurred words. Drunk History works because it's such a simple loving concept, and yet the comedy bastions of the UK can't even manage that. Burn this country to the goddamn ground.

I wonder if they even spoke to the original show creators. The US version is filmed in stages. First the person recounts the story sober, then does it 3 more times as they get progressively drunker and drunker, which is were the best comedy comes from.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

zoux posted:

Here are some rumored details of the Walking Dead spinoff, said to be titled "Fear the Walking Dead".

Hottest take? "Durrr Hope it's Better than the Original, Which Sucks" is taken I'm afraid.

Great, exactly the biggest problem with zombie stories, how in the hell it just comes out of nowhere in a world with smartphones and internet. Only now it'll be "gosh, all these conspiracy nuts talking about zombies are sooo crazy, whoops every single world city is now overrun!"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, you always see the destroyed tanks and stuff but never how it happened.

Because there's no way to show it "happening" without a mind-numbingly level of stupidity at literally every aspect. Like the scene in Dawn of the Dead 2003 where its all happy suburbia then suddenly anarchy and chaos somehow out of nowhere, planes crashing in the background and everywhere the entire world is in the same state of panic in a matter of hours. Same problem with that Brad Pitt movie.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
So, is Backstrom complete garbage or just a mediocre Fox comedy-drama?

It really doubles down on terrible racism and stupid plots, but watching Raine Wilson being an slovenly drunk rear end in a top hat to people is kind of fun.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jan 23, 2015

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

pzy posted:

I think Backstrom would be terrible with anyone but Rainn Wilson, but he's so goddamn charmingly angry that I liked the first episode for the most part. Some of the logical leaps and his "I'm so-and-so, why would I do this?" will probably wear a little thin as the show goes on though.

The "I'm X person, now I instantly understand their life and motivations" is pretty dumb when The Pretender did it 20 years ago way better and wholly embraced the hokey aspect of it.

I also have a hard time believing that Rainn Wilson is so terribly unhealthy he'll lose his badge when the actor looks fitter then 90% of actual cops.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
People were right about season 2 of Person of Interest. Once they knew they had a hit they started having fun with the show. There's a lot more comedy in the first half of this season then the entire first season.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Lugaloco posted:

Since I've ran out of stuff to watch, I think I'm finally going to give this Person of Interest show a shot.

I just started after passing on it for years, finally took the plunge in the TVIV Top 10 shows thread when someone mentioned that my list would mean that I'd probably love POI.

It's loving amazing, easily one of my new favorite shows.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sober posted:

Irish Joe is probably one of those sickos on tumblr

No more needs to be said.

Lately people have constantly over exaggerated the whole "skip X episodes/seasons" for people asking about shows they haven't seen yet. It's okay to skip a notably terrible episode here and there, but skipping entire seasons of a show is just dumb if you plan on watching it.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 25, 2015

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
PoI has a solid first season and an insanely good second season(so far). 1/4 the episodes would qualify for comedy even though the tone is still mostly serious, especially anything involving Tao, a recurring scumbag. It gets to the point where his 4th/5th appearance as a PoI has him quiz the guys who came to confront him, and when finding out they plan to kill him Tao goes "Oh poo poo, you guys need to get out of here, like right now" before John walks in to bust them up.

There's also a great scene where John is in jail, the first few attempts to break him loose failed, and near the end when he does get on on his own, it the cuts to Harold dressed in full body armor loading a smoke grenade launcher panickly saying over the phone"I've got an escape plan and you're not going to like it but this is all that's left!" before he finds out John is free.

Also, I may be wrong, but I think all of the heads of the 5 mob families are all former Sopranos actors.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Questionable Carrie moments is like the majority of what Homeland is at this point, though.

Everything single Homeland season 4 episode requires you to remember that

a) Carrie is extremely bipolar
b) Carrie hid said condition from the CIA for years, got caught, and underwent electroshock treatment
c) Carrie slept with a major terrorist suspect
d) Said terror suspect then blew up the CIA HQ according to common knowledge
e) Carrie risked multiple ops to the point where an agent (Quinn) shot her to stop her from blowing an op
f) Carrie is now in charge of a major CIA station, and a-e did not effect her rise to power in any way

Then watch as Carrie makes terrible decision after terrible decision and somehow the show still expects you to route for her/support her when she's a colossal mess who fucks up constantly.

Homeland fans will keep insisting "No you don't understand, its all about the slow burn you plebs" but in reality the show is a jumbled mess with a brilliant episode here and there that does nothing to diminish how moronic the show is in the other times.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

raditts posted:

They did it, guys. NBC managed to put out a show that's even more gross and bizarre than Community could have ever imagined.

:patriot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui1YlTPlW_8 :patriot:

Also, holy poo poo those Youtube comments.

This is going to be divisive as poo poo.

I couldn't tell, but is the point that the kid was completely out of control (looked like he was wildly swinging a bat around at the other kids and then kicked Quinto when he was trying to lecture him) and so Zachary Quinto smacked him?

I can see the argument that its never okay to hit a child but if the hellion is completely willing to hit whoever he wants whenever he wants the parents have failed as disciplinarians and someone smacking the kid isn't a shock.

The dialogue from the trailer is gold

"This is what scars people for life" lol what hippie bullshit is that no kid is going to grow up and become a drug addict to cope with the one time neighbor Bob smacked him
"I'm gonna put that maniac away"
"I'm going to destroy them"

edit: After reading about the book, the central idea seems to be at what point can an outsider step in when people are failing to raise their child and the child is a danger to others. The trailer makes it seem like some weird super serious matter of life and death.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 26, 2015

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Australian novel which was made into a (high-profile) mini-series here too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WP8I0T9xnk

Well, that's a much better trailer. If only someone could've gone back in time to stop the slap before it happened...

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

In a civil society you aren't allowed to hit other people. You certainly aren't allowed to hit other people's children. It's not really something that should be divisive at all, except for reactionary morons.

Tons of people still openly and proudly admit to hitting their kids and get indignant when other people don't. The show is going to cause people to come down hard on either side mostly because the kid who got hit was a wild terror by any definition and his parents are blatant hippie touchy-feely people. It's the kind of perfect "hit a kid situation" that a few decades ago would've been of no concern.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Rocksicles posted:

I was hit as a kid, i don't agree with it. But some kids (teenagers) need a good swift battering.

The best option would've been to drag the kid forcibly over to his parents and start berating them for letting him be a danger to others. I'm more curious how the show turns into some life or death drama. The trailer ends with a guy hitting his breaks and from the context and music it looks like his brakes won't work.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Yeah, that's sort of what I was getting at. It's like basing a story on the central premise of whether or not in modern society it should be acceptable to stage dog fights. Or bait bears. Or beat your partner. The answer is no, no it shouldn't be acceptable. That's a poo poo central premise.

The book describes it as

quote:

"turning into a spiral, agonising and arguing over the notion that striking a child can ever be justified. Some believe a naughty boy should be taught some discipline, others maintain the police ought to be brought in to investigate a common assault"

quote:

described The Slap as "a controversial and daring novel" which examines "identities and personal relationships in a multicultural society" and "taps into universal tensions and dilemmas around family life and child-rearing"

What you think about hitting kids as a form is discipline is irrelevant when a huge amount of people still do it, brag about it, and think its okay. In an ideal society it'd be a poo poo premise but there are still millions of people in the US who see absolutely nothing wrong with slapping an unruly kid who's parents are carefree hippies, nevermind people immigrating from foreign countries with different values who routinely hit their kids and spouses as a form of socially acceptable control in their home country.

I doubt the miniseries is going to change anyone's mind but at least it'll get people arguing about it and convince some people there are alternatives to hitting kids, and serious consequences if you do.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

IRQ posted:

If that's what it is I'm somewhat interested, the trailer does a piss poor job of setting that up though, it just looked like cheap controversy bait over whether it's ok to slap some brat. I guess it can be both.

The AUS series is more family drama as people take sides, have their own life problems to deal with and each episode is a POV of a different person, not a serial drama like the trailer makes it out to be. The guy who slaps the kid is also a self made millionaire so when it comes to being charged for slapping the kid he gets a shark of a lawyer and plans to humiliate the parents in open court to get back at them. Other then that it's mostly people taking sides, arguing with other friends/family, and trying to keep the peace while the hippie parents act like it was the end of the world.

Oh, and I don't know if it'll be in the US version, but in the AUS version the kid is 4 and the mother is still breast feeding him, so it's that kind of child raising environment.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Jingleheimer posted:

Season 1 isn't so much iffy as it is a bit procedural. Don't get me wrong, season 1 is one of the weaker seasons as there are a few duds in there, but if you can put up with MOTW episodes I don't think you'll have too much trouble with it. If you want to skip ahead unfortunately I'm on my phone and can't easily get you a list of key episodes, but I'm pretty sure you'd be safe watching the first and last few episodes of season 1, and maybe one or two others in the middle but I'm not in a position to say exactly which ones right now.

E: figures by the time I type it all out and hit reply someone gives you an episode list.

Season 1 it was still "uh, we might get cancelled" and the attitude carried forward into the start of season 2 before they were able to go all in with their 5 year plan and start laying the groundwork for multi-season plots with a tied up ending at the end of season 5.

Then they got more seasons, and had to tack on a stinger to lead into season 6. 6 is definitely out of place and just plain weird. Season 7/8/9 are tied together by a few central concepts and get good after a point. Season 10 is turning out to be a lot of wheel spinning and waiting for something big to happen, and since they've greenlit season 11, and have promised to keep making the show as long as the ratings stay stable (and they do) it could go on even long.

The absolute best by far is season 4/5, when everything starts to pay off in a big way and the size of the in-show universe is blown open.

I would also say to watch the motw episodes, because some of them are pretty good, and by season 7 and on you don't get many of them. There's a great episode in season 8 after the stakes have skyrocketed beyond belief where Sam and Dean are just chilling and Sam spots a news story about mysterious animal killings, gets excited and goes "This could be an straight up monster hunt, like we used to!"

I'd say my favorite motw episodes are

- the mysterious ghost serial killer It's H.H Holmes
- the one where a boy's stuffed animal comes to life and begs for death The boy is nephilem, has god-like powers and is confused
- Kronos the god of time
- Anything with Ghostchasers
- Where Dean meets an old flame, sees a kid that might be his and freaks out the entire episode
- Any episode with Rufus ("No, I'm pretty sure its 7 times, not 9")
- The locked down town that's a cult (Castiel gets crazy drunk)

pentyne fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 27, 2015

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

Swap Meat is super bad but it at least sorta ties into the bigger story. I think that's why Racist Truck stands out. Most of the bad episodes that follow either tie into the overall story or have a sense of humor about themselves. But Racist Truck is just all on its own, this really terrible story that is really out of tone with the show and never, ever, ever affects them again.

I mean, the worst episode is probably that terrible backdoor pilot. But Racist Truck has seniority.

Supernatural: The Vampire Diaries: Chicago Monster Mob was bad for entirely different reasons. After 8 years of killing literally every monster they come across, Sam and Dean go "welp that's just how they do things here" and take off without killing every monster in the city. It was a really bad attempt to make sexy dangerous teens spin-off of Supernatural but no one watching Supernatural wanted that kind of show, and it ignored everything Supernatural had established up to that point.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

OldSenileGuy posted:

Do they ever address how they get money to fund all these wacky adventures

Identity theft. Like, tons of it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

raditts posted:

Somewhere in the first episode I think they mention getting money through pool hustling and credit card fraud. They at least mention it a few times when they get arrested.
After a few seasons I think the answer just becomes "shut up and roll with it."

You meet a tech genius later on who works with tons of hunters getting them cards, identities etc.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

sbaldrick posted:

I realize actors need work, but why are these two still doing a show with Superfans like this?

They're making steady paychecks and more or less got their start with the CW/WB, haven't cracked the cultural awareness enough to get major movie roles, and their wives probably got used to it.

By now they've learned its just a factor of being a big time C-list celebrity with a extremely obsessed female fanbase and don't attend cons or panels with their husbands.

Ackles has done some VA work, but since 2005 has done nothing else and prior to that he was guest starring on WB/CW shows.

Same with Padalecki, he was on Gilmore Girls, then straight to Supernatural, and his biggest outside role was the lead in the Friday the 13th reboot which was a minor hit but nothing outstanding, and a few other small horror movies.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 27, 2015

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

zoux posted:

I kinda quit watching after the water lady episode but I hear that Sleepy Hollow has been real bad this season?

Boring. They don't have a clear direction of where they want to go and so it just seems like nothing important happens.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The Flash just aired an episode with a blatant reference to the goatse image. The CW is knocking it out of the park.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sober posted:

clearly intentional

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

thrakkorzog posted:

It helps that both the Supernatural brothers started working on soaps, with the occasional Gilmore Girls appearance or cheap slasher movies. They've gone from soap opera paycheck to paycheck to having a steady paycheck. They're not getting Seinfeld paychecks, but they're still getting steady work, which is why Jensen Ackles was happy to proclaim that he wants to beat "Gunsmoke" for length. .

By this point Supernatual is their career, and they don't want to retire anytime soon.

They and the network said the show will keep going until the ratings drop or the lead actors are no longer capable of the job. Given the insane dedication of the fan base unless a harsh winter/flu season kills off a bunch of them Supernatural could run another 5-10 years. Ackles is 36 and still looks almost the same as the early seasons. Unless he hits 40 and instantly ages 10 years he can still do the show well into his 40s. Right now they're still dealing with season-to-season renewal rather then getting multi-season renewals, but if season 10/11 maintains CW's expectations I don't see why they just won't do another 2 year renewal.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

GreenNight posted:

Bad sentence structure. RDA (Jack) lived in LA and got tired of being away from his daughter.

Classic Canadian tv filming mistake. Big name actors have other lives and aren't willing to completely relocate their lives to Vancouver.

RDA probably didn't expect SG1 to last 10 seasons though, and by season 8 he was loving done.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 28, 2015

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

GreenNight posted:

Long running British series got better later on.

Name one. The vast majority of long running British shows get spectacularly bad.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

Season 3 of Sherlock is probably the most my opinion of a show has dropped in the least amount of time.

From what I can tell, many, many British shows have an absolutely amazing first season, then completely lose their poo poo in season 2/3. For example, of shows I've seen

- Misfits
- Sherlock
- Downton Abbey
- Waterloo Road
- Life on Mars
- Broadchurch (only 4 episodes into S2 and just a horrific mess of a show)

Some exceptions
- Blackadder
- Foyle's War
- Peep Show
- Mitchell and Webb Look

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

PriorMarcus posted:

And Waterloo Road was never ever good.

Bad example, but the drop in quality after series 1 was astounding.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Deakul posted:

I guess expecting an argument about the show was too much to ask for, keep on irrationally hating stuff without giving valid reasons, kids.

Welp, :byewhore:

My biggest problem with AoS was Season 1 was so clearly held hostage by the titan that is the MCU and the staff writers were forced to make all sorts of stuff up in the hope that they could work it into the future of the show but most likely let it just fizzle out. You are a moron if you don't honestly think that there was a drastic uptick in the quality of the show when Winter Soldier came out and it still struggled for a while.

Season 2 on the whole is clearly much better, but it still stumbles from time to time with meandering plots that take too long, attempts to force drama between two minor characters no one really cares that much about, and a hit or miss attitude in general. Now that AoS is going to introduce the Inhumans to the MCU hopefully the writers can explore it on their own terms rather then get handed a outline for what they can and can't do, with the emphasis on can't.

As far as your biggest complaint about Arrow, people acting like idiots for the sake of the plot, you can say the exact same thing about AoS for tons of their plots. It's a thing that happens in comic book shows (and most shows/movies/entertainment media in general) because being super-being rational perfect solution person would be boring as poo poo to watch.

The Flash can run 600 miles an hour, why would he ever slow down to confront an enemy? Why not just tie them up in a split second? Because that makes a boring show. Just like so many other plot contrivances in so many other shows, you give them the benefit of the doubt because it makes the show more fun to watch.

Also I'll just with your completely dismissive tone of a show a lot of people like being little more then "show is bad because i say its bad" and then even using the byewhore emote you're fast approaching Irish Joe/Ravene levels of bad posting.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 30, 2015

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Spatula City posted:

It's taken me a while to realize it, but season 3 of Arrow really isn't particularly good. Even its best moment, the end of "The Climb", hasn't been payed off that well in the subsequent two episodes that have aired so far. What's weirdest is that I've realized my least favorite characters at the moment are actually Felicity and Diggle. Well, obviously Thea as well, who I have realized will never not be terrible.

The build up to the Flash crossover had me insanely hyped, but yeah on a whole season 3 has had much less impact then 1/2. The only big underlying plots have been Ray Palmer (decent, but not great, since A.T.O.M is a mech suit now), Thea/Malcolm's stuff (pretty boring as a whole), Laurel wanting to be a crimefighter (really bad), and Oliver...drifting? I guess would be the best way to describe it. They need to establish a credible threat, which Ra's al Ghul is, but at the same time make for convincing drama. The only possible outcome for Oliver vs Ras is that Merlyn joins the fight on Oliver's side, they beat Ras and then Oliver refuses to let Merlyn kill him, and now the head of the LoA owes his life to Oliver, so the slate is clean.

Also, the flashbacks are much, much weaker this season. With Slade after the reveal it suddenly became almost the best part of the show, but now its Katana and others, but there's no emotional weight or drama to it since there's a pretty clear picture as to how they end up in the modern scenes.

Now that Flash has metahumans all the non-super powered fights on Arrow, while still cool as hell, are starting to fall flat, especially after seeing Oliver handle Barry in a serious one on one fight.

Also, gently caress you Diggle is never not the best. Felicity's "woe is me my life is difficult" has gotten stale lately but thankfully Roy is there to help keep it interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Zaggitz posted:

Pentyne can I get a PoI progress report.

I had to take a break because it got too good.

I'm waiting for season 4 to finish so I can binge in all in one glorious weekend.

• Locked thread