Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
the very chill top 10 thread and its top 10 rules for posting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Judge Clayjar posted:

10 best shows of 2014: forever. outlander. scorpion. the strain. helix. selfie. Salem. dominion. blackish. and reeling in the number one slot: freakign HALO NIGHTFALL!!!!!

Here is that chart you asked for !!

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

I used onlinecharttool.com and then mspaint

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

It looked like this for me, sure there are some small errors (example, I forgot to crop the second pic), but irregardlessly mesmerizing.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

I could easily conquer Todd VanDerWerff in a fight to the death

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

I only made it halfway though broadchurch. It wasn't bad but it sure wasn't good either, just really generic and reminded me of shows I could watch instead.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Malvo is super charismatic and you cant help but route for him in his game no one else knows they're playing

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

HEY HOW ABOUT YOU NOT POST IF YOURE GOING TO INSULT THE SHOWS I LIEK

YOU FUYCKER

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Shageletic posted:

Catching up with the thread, but I am in fact doing a rewatch (an episode every few days or so).

I'm a fan of Fringe. But Fringe doesn't hold a candle to X-Files (and the crazy amount of talent behind and in front of the camera, really excited by the upcoming Darin Morgan eps).

Just got done doing a similar rewatch on both shows, sort of concurrently since I found myself alternating between the two whenever one started feeling stale, and ended the experience with the opposite impression. Fringe came across a lot stronger than I remembered and a lot of the problems I had with it during production and flaws weren't really as noticeable or at least seemed more reasonable. It was a really strong and consistent experience overall. Meanwhile X-Files was a lot weaker than I remembered and dragged down by some production choices (scoring/cinematography) that ended up working against the show more than for it. The great episodes were still great, but most episodes in every season weren't even good or bad, they just leave no impression. I think the show would definitely have been helped with a larger recurring cast (as a lot of the following procedural shows learned) which may have helped avoided a lot of circular developments. Though the comedy episodes held up amazingly; if I had to make a top ten list I imagine those would make up at least half the thing.

Also this isn't really part of my revised impression of the x-files quality (cause even when talking about the x-files I really only mean the initial 5ish seasons anyway) but for the first time ever I watched the episode "First Person Shooter." Holy poo poo... how have I never seen that atrocity before? Without a doubt that's like the worst episode of this show I've ever seen, maybe a contender for worst episode of... anything. It's almost impressive. The whole time I couldn't stop imagining the behind the scenes production with real people having to say these lines in such a ridiculous episode that's (for some reason) played completely straight.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Lugaloco posted:

Since I've ran out of stuff to watch, I think I'm finally going to give this Person of Interest show a shot.

Netflix has every season of Columbo and Murder She Wrote

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

DrVenkman posted:

Supernatural also manages to be one of the most violent shows on TV too. It's surprising how much they get away with sometimes.

Maybe most violent show on the CW, but it's not even on the radar when there are shows like Hannibal, American Horror Story, and Spartacus all over the place. Just to name a few shows, from network, basic, and premium channels.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Thought season 2 of UTOPIA was an okay watch (aside from 2.1 which was pretty great), but it almost went out of the way to make it clear the show has no balls. Don't think a single dead character stayed dead, no matter how ridiculous the circumstances.

But I'm probably more tolerant of such a weak season than others because I don't think the first season was all it's cracked up to be either. There were a huge problems with momentum after the first episode where you're expecting events and characters to synch up long before they do, and the show just drags its feat compared to the breakneck pace it started with. That season absolutely peaked with the first episode, so I guess that's another similarity the two seasons had.

Still would have watched a third one, although I'm far more excited to see what Fincher and HBO do with the concepts now.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

nick fury shows up

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

that indian chick from american horror storY! Shes a woman. Shes a indian, Shes a frickin' super midget!

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

no comedy show for old men

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

sbaldrick posted:

You mean Roseanne who openly made the last season of the show and refused fired him because he basically wanted to make the show what Mom is now after he got sober. I"m not saying he's remotely a good person but he's better then Roseanne.

I dont know what any of this means

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Heck, you're both right. I really don't know what any of that means.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Now it is You who talk about media like your opinions are objective fact !!

(edit... IMO)

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Regy Rusty posted:

I like Breaking Bad because it's a story about a pathetic, incompetent, impotent man who destroys the lives of everyone he encounters and dies alone and considers it all to have been a success. That owns and is hilarious.

Hank isn't that bad

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

VagueRant posted:

This is the second time I've seen this expressed on the forums and it is insane to me. How are you not then bored by any moral ambiguity in fiction? Until those final few eps, I insisted the peak of Breaking Bad was the second or third episode - the ones with the guy in the basement. Because what would I do in that situation? It's fascinating and gripping and interesting.

I can't imagine anyone shutting off their own moral scale and brain and saying "well it doesn't matter, it is a fictional pre-written narrative and my conclusion is whatever the writers decide it is."

A self-focused approach to media seems awfully limiting, although I guess that's kind of implicit since the conversation is about ditching a show for being unrelatable. I'm not particularly concerned with what I'd do in any given situation because I probably wouldn't be in that situation to begin with (consider that even in the moral quandary about killing crazy 8 that its still the result of running a meth-mobile, and only after rejecting charity). Same as with examining history, it's far more interesting and worthwhile to examine what the characters choose to do and what drives those decisions for them within their own experiences, morals, and customs than applying my own.

I suspect your approach might also be part of why many of the subplots fell so flat for you; things like Skyler smoking and Marie stealing pale in comparison to main plot's stakes, but in terms of character, those are still relatively big events for them that tell you a lot about those people and their reactions to the forces around them. Even something like Jr getting busted buying beer is important, not because I give a poo poo about kids drinking but because it's his own minor foray outside the law and, more importantly, the events better inform us of his character and its relation to the characters around him. With someone like Walt, the viewer deciding he's finally bad guy or pinpointing when he "switched" is actually irrelevant, the draw is the descent and how he reacts to circumstances along the way as he transforms, not the fact that he transforms. It's easy to mark him off as bad guy and call it a day, but it's more interesting to look at those places where "why" isn't so easy to answer, and the most interesting answers to those question aren't often going to be tied to your own conventions of morality.

Ultimately I think it's far less important for characters to be likeable and relatable than it is for them to be interesting. And Breaking Bad is a case where there are times its most interesting characters are neither likeable nor relatable.

EvilTobaccoExec fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Feb 24, 2015

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Fooz posted:

I wish they found different actors for the Better Call Saul flashbacks. Bob Odenkirk does not look any younger in any costume.

I dont. My favorite thing in television is the flashback to a younger time, accomplished by baggier clothes and longer hair. Biggest disappointment of last year was Boardwalk Empire actually finding amazing actors for all its past sequences instead of just letting Steve Buscemi play a 20 year old.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

I like to smear mud on my rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

BSam posted:

What did you say?

Gotta check on my bud. In class

See his grades.... not doing so good.

LEAVE ME ALONE

• Locked thread