Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Sober posted:

Irish Joe is the best part of Couch Chat though.

Fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I don't mean this as an insult to McHale, but he could have done a fantastic job of hosting the Daily Show if it was still the Kilborn version.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

IRQ posted:

Reminder that Skylar White was unironically called Skycunt on these very forums.

:qq:

It's cool how everyone who's extremely offended by that word has continued to use it every chance they got for years after the people who hated Skyler got over it.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm not denying that some people hated Skyler because of misogyny, but the show did present her largely as an obstacle early on while it wanted the viewers to be on Walt's side. Later on it corrected that and presented her in a more sympathetic light, and some people who formerly hated her got over it/became sympathetic toward her, though obviously some did continue irrationally hating her.

Regardless of why people hated her, or whether or not it was appropriate, the way people complaining about it for years after have continued to use that specific word when doing so really seems like they're getting a thrill out of saying something naughty.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Ravane posted:

I've honestly enjoyed Better Call Saul far more than I enjoyed Breaking Bad. I sincerely believe it's the pacing of the show. BCS is a bit faster than BB and is consistent, whereas BB has slow episodes and fast episodes which all serve to build tension. And that's nice and all, but I sincerely cannot watch an episode where the main character swats at a fly for forty-five minutes. BCS is entertaining and builds tension well without forcing its viewers to go through hell for it. BB's last seasons were very fast paced, and that's where I most enjoyed the show, but the first few seasons killed me with slow pacing and brought me back with good plot and character development.

I like BCS a lot so far, but I'd be very surprised if BCS ever ends up being as good as BB. I think the Mike episode this season was a good episode of television, but it felt like it belonged on a different show that's too beholden to being the Official Breaking Bad Prequel instead of a character driven show that happens to feature a younger Saul Goodman. I think Mike in general feels a little out of place; obviously the age thing is something you have to ignore with all the returning actors, but it's a little harder to suspend disbelief with a 68 year old guy who's playing a character we're supposed to believe is going to continue to be a badass for years to come. I guess I'm mostly ranting about Mike, but while I love both Bob Odenkirk and the Jimmy character, knowing where his story is heading really seems pretty limiting too. I'm sure there are still some surprises down the line, and maybe we'll get some sidequel/sequel stuff in there to mix things up, but it's hard for me to imagine a prequel relying perhaps a bit too heavily on the original is ever going to surpass it.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Ravane posted:

If I understand the timeline correctly, BCS only takes place a few years before BB, so technically it's BB that has the problem is it not? And even in BB, he says "I'm getting to old" as he sits there dying. I don't think BCS is relying on BB at all, so far it's done rather well on it's own. It'd only be relying on BB if it had Jesse Pinkman cameos every so often, it doesn't. It's purely about Jimmy and Mike right now.

This show can't retroactively make Breaking Bad worse -- that show already is what it is. I do think Jonathan Banks was maybe a little long in the tooth for the role even then, but now he's a few years older playing a few years younger, which doesn't really work for me when he's supposed to be this scary guy who punches people out sometimes. Yeah, characters mention his age occasionally, so it's not like they're totally ignoring the issue, but it just doesn't work for me. Odenkirk looks loving ridiculous in the "Young Jimmy" flashbacks too, and he obviously doesn't look younger than he was in Breaking Bad in the main story either, but at least he's not an actual senior citizen playing a physically demanding part.

I'm saying all of this as someone who loves the show and thinks it's one of the best shows on tv. I just think there are obvious problems caused by doing a prequel to a show with the same cast several years later, and while I'm happy to go along for the ride, I think that and the lack of suspense from knowing where these characters end up are serious handicaps to overcome when comparing the show with the original. Maybe you genuinely prefer BCS, and that's great, but I think a lot of people are really just suffering from present bias when they say it's better than Breaking Bad.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

I really hope you just forgot that Mike exists.

If the only characters that count are from Breaking Bad, that's pretty damning. It was a short first season though, and one episode was The Mike Show, so there's still time to grow the show's universe; a lot of shows have pretty shallow characters in their first season.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

DoggPickle posted:

Well NO. [I wouldn't creep on January Jones all day] :wtf: ?? Because number one, I'm into dudes, but more importantly number two - most people wouldn't devolve into some kind of uber-horny lizard-person after a couple (years?) of lost civilization. Wait, oops... I'm so stupid. Derp. I've only been back a week, and I've TOTALLY seen your name already. I think it was used as a verb.

I'm pretty sure tons of guys would creep all over January Jones today, without the collapse of civilization, given the slightest bit of opportunity.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I mentally cringe at the comparison with Entourage, but early Entourage actually was fun, and even if it ends up being bad, I'm sure I've watched worse poo poo just because The Rock was in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I agree with the posters who said the third season of The Americans was the best, with the caveat that it felt the least cohesive as a whole. There's definitely some significant payoff at the end of the season, but a lot of balls were left hanging in the air.

• Locked thread