Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Deadpool posted:

I cannot believe that this show is actually happening and isn't just some internet wide Onion joke.

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/john-travolta-joins-american-crime-story-people-v-oj-simpson-20150107

Oh poo poo, if they cast Travolta, that might mean a guaranteed musical number in our Ryan Murphy take on the OJ Simpson trial!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Josh Lyman posted:

Does Fox get to blame Kevin Reilly for it?

I know who I'm blaming for it if it's bad:

IMDB posted:

Ilene Chaiken ... (2 episodes, 2015)

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

less laughter posted:

Instead, he'll save Glee from cancellation.

No god dammit let it die, let it diiiieeeeeee

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

So is The Affair really good enough to have swept TV drama at the Globes? Not that the GGs mean poo poo or anything, just curious.

It's possibly really good, but also the Golden Globes really like to award random new shows every year. At least half the people who won this year (and some of those who were nominated for the first time) probably won't ever see another GG nomination for the same series.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Mo0 posted:

Nope, but we sure as heck wish it was

Look at that fuckin' cast list, Patricia Arquette, James Van Der Beek, and Peter MacNicol all deserve better

Yeah it's not cancelled ('yet', of course), and they're actually kicking Stalker off the schedule to air it. So Stalker's basically dead in the water (getting bumped + not being included in today's renewal batch) and CSI: Cyber they might not have terribly high hopes for if they're holding it til March to start airing.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Bown posted:

Was making predictions with a buddy about what'll be in the top 10. Here's what I had written down:

The blurb at the end of today's list about an episode in the top 10 containing a trivia contest makes me think they're going to include "The One with the Embryos" from Friends, especially considering this article was published on AV Club a couple years ago:

http://www.avclub.com/article/why-ifriendsi-fake-game-show-epitomized-ensemble-c-84632

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Speaking as someone who railed against watching PoI as recently as a little over a year ago, the show is far and away my #1 show of the past year and I'm a stupid idiot for not having watched it sooner.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Mu Zeta posted:

If PoI good in the way Arrow or Supernatural is good or is it actually good like Homeland season 4.

It is better than all three of those.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Shageletic posted:

Alright, give me episodes. I just was bored by the five or so episodes I've caught randomly on CBS. It suffers from Law and Order-itis to me, basically being servicable to watch in the background as I do something else.

My top five, and even ten, episodes of the series kind of lose something if you haven't actually watched the rest of it to date. Relevance (2x16, Sarah Shahi's first episode) might be the most standalone one of the bunch.

The track I took my roommate on, since I knew he wouldn't sit loving still long enough to watch the first season and change, was this:

1x01 - Pilot
1x04 - Cura Te Ipsum
1x07 - Witness
1x13 - Root Cause
1x21 - Many Happy Returns
1x22 - No Good Deed
1x23 - Firewall

2x01 - Contingency
2x02 - Bad Code
2x16 - Relevance

Note - this skips a lot of Reese and Finch's respective backstories, and a whole lot of the Carter/Fusco/HR storyline. If the show interests you enough after especially those first four S1 episodes, it's definitely worth just watching the rest in order. It's more procedural than not through definitely the first season, and probably the first half or so of season 2.

(If you get through those season 1 episodes and are still Real Bored, yeah it might just not be your thing. Maybe give 2x16 a shot at that point for a go/no-go decision.)

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Spatula City posted:

This is all a long way of saying that it's really loving simple understanding why women find men like Cumberbatch attractive, not some sort of complex problem of the kind only Sherlock could solve.

I'm a girl and Butterscotch Candysnack still looks goofy.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Deakul posted:

Sure thing, champ, keep riding that train. :thumbsup:
gently caress it, how about you tell me what you dislike about it? Cause I think it's one of the best comic book shows we've had in years, I used to think it was irredeemable and waited for it die but then I heard that after The Winter Soldier came out and it tied into the show that it started getting really good and I felt like it definitely did and has been riding on a high all season long now.

It feels like everyone that hated the show out of the gate haven't bothered giving it an actual chance now that it's not a boring monster of the week affair with no development of any of the characters or overall development of the universe.

I've watched the entire series to date and while I appreciate that it found its footing over half of the way through its first season and is letting the characters drive the plot instead of the opposite, I'm still not really interested or invested in the characters themselves.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Sir Kodiak posted:

I can't give you exact numbers, but my impression is that most TV shows, nearly all of them really, aren't allowed to use Marvel's intellectual property.

Uh, yes? What does that have to actually do with anything?

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

raditts posted:

That, shockingly, there are many shows on TV that don't have to use Marvel licensing as a crutch to keep them from being a piece of poo poo.

I think it's pretty hilarious that people will accept "no guys, see it HAD to be a piece of poo poo, they couldn't possibly have made an interesting show without cross-media promotions!" as a actual talking point that you're not supposed to laugh at.

I read his quote as him trying to make a joke about how tv shows don't have access to Marvel IP rather than him trying to say that the show is lovely because the show is lovely, regardless of IP constraints. "Most shows" versus "most terrible shows".

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Sir Kodiak posted:

Nah, raditts got it. It was a joke about how dumb it is to use a lack of access to all of Marvel's IP as an excuse when most shows can use none of it. Like, maybe the X-Files would have been better if they could have incorporated D-tier comic book superheroes, but they certainly didn't need it.

It doesn't excuse a lack of quality, no, but I think it's pretty fair to say that being beholden to a multi-billion dollar movie franchise/universe in what you can/can't depict on your tv show is a obstacle in and of itself, one that isn't really shared with any of the other currently-airing comic book shows (aside from Agent Carter, obviously). It'd probably also be pretty fair to say that if Agents of SHIELD (or Agents of Generic-Acronym) launched in the same early season 1 quality but without the Marvel tie-in/backing, it wouldn't have had the viewership ratings it DID have (to start) and would've been cancelled quickly/quietly.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Sir Kodiak posted:

It's a relatively novel situation - though it's not like the DC TV shows can use Superman and such - but the association has been more of a benefit than an obstacle. Despite the repeated claim by some, it's not that the show could only get better once Cap 2 came out. It's that the show got better once someone else came up with a fun story (people finally noticing that SHIELD is a hosed-up organization) and they were allowed to borrow it. Basically everything good about the show has been either what they were lucky enough to steal from a good movie or Kyle MacLachlan.

Given the timing, it seems pretty likely that by the time initial scripting on the tv show pilot began, everyone involved would have (or should have) known what'd happen in Cap 2. The bigger failing in my mind isn't that they treaded water for 17 episodes before they seemingly could dive into the storyline they actually wanted to do, but that they spent 16+ episodes on largely undercooked characters. Removing Cap 2 and the greater MCU from the equation, it would've been entirely possible to have a "ragtag team learns to work together over x amount of time and then SUDDENLY BETRAYAL!" storyline entirely within the framework of the show, but the way it's done in AoS felt like the writers' kept going, "Yeah, yeah, build team, FitzSimmons, Ward stuff, whatever whatever, are we at the betrayal part yet?! Oh, still a few more episodes? Okay, let's seed some more Coulson stuff then." Like they weren't interested in their own characters pre-betrayal because everything they've really wanted to do with them hinged on that episode, on Ward loving over the team and Coulson being forced to take up directorship of an entirely underground SHIELD. It has improved since they started digging into the storylines they probably had wanted to from the get-go, but that's still 15-16 episodes worth of a black mark against it, and I'm still fighting to be invested in characters in which it doesn't especially feel like the creative team had been entirely invested themselves.

In that approach, I think I agree with you that having to be heavily tied to the MCU isn't the reason the show stumbled around for several episodes, nor is it an excuse for shoddy writing and it's certainly not remotely the biggest issue I've had with it (as someone whose Marvel knowledge is almost entirely comprised of the MCU). It's an obstacle, but it's not the biggest one that the show's faced in getting to the point where it is today.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Irish Joe posted:

If I'm a writer, I'd much rather work with a bunch of sexy secret agents going on cool adventures on behalf of an organization with unlimited resources and a rich backstory than a handful of dudes hanging out in Coulsen's basement struggling with autism and crying about their daddies.

But then, that's just me.

I am very sad that you are not a Whedon.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

VDay posted:

The best part is that they've never even hinted at any kind of romantic connection. It's not like they had A Moment, or stare at each other while the other's not looking. It's seriously one of the most well-realized and nuanced male-female relationships ever put on TV and it's hilarious that the dude completely missed like the central thematic point of the entire show and thinks Sherlock just wants to sleep with her.

CBS is getting weirdly good at having shows that let their male and female characters be friends without any romantic tension at all.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Yeah, that was incredibly cheap, bad storytelling that came out of nowhere and went against everything we'd seen from that character. It came in the programme's worst run of episodes and more than anything else makes me think PoI might turn to poo poo in the following seasons.

Utterly unearned. Baffling that anyone thought it was appropriate.

What?

...What?

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

GreenNight posted:

Talking about the Reese/Carter kiss. I never gave it a second thought but apparently a few people got really bothered by it.

I was trying to figure out if he meant Reese/Carter or Root/Shaw, and in either case, "worst run of episodes" is probably the last thing I've ever seen anyone use to describe either of those effective trilogies.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Wandle Cax posted:

I see, so they would rather have half an hour of more viewers for the ad revenue, than get more people to watch the Blacklist.

How many more people do you think would stick around to watch the entire slotted tv show if there wasn't a half hour of post-game wrap-up beforehand?

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Wandle Cax posted:

I think a lot more people would have watched the show if it had a lead-in of 114 million compared to 72 million. I feel like that makes sense. Maybe 40% more if you were looking for a number.

You're thinking, though, of people who'd have their TV on when the episode starts versus people who actually stick through the entire episode. (Using demo numbers instead of total numbers from here on out.) When Glee had its big post-SB episode, I want to say they had 16.1 at the start of the episode drop to 12.9 within the first 15 minutes, and down under 10.0 for the last 15-30 minutes. The 30-ish % drop in demo numbers between the SB average and the post-game average don't necessarily mean that 30% more people might be tuned in to The Blacklist if they don't have a half hour of post-game wrap-up. It might skew the average demo for the hour a little higher, but it probably wouldn't be anything particularly remarkable.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Mo0 posted:

Didn't Brooklyn Nine-Nine enjoy a good boost after its Super Bowl win? Or was that more attributable to its Golden Globe win?

I don't think B99's ratings last season changed appreciably after the SB slot or it's GG win. Its boost this season is probably 95% timeslot.

B99 went from a 1.9 pre-SB to a 6.9 in the post-SB slot to a 1.4 and 1.2 for it's subsequent new episodes. The caveat is that those new episodes aired during the Winter Olympics as well.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

pentyne posted:

Is Caviezel really that bad tempered? He seems extremely laid back and relaxed in the blooper reels, especially given they probably make a "Jesus" joke every time they get bad weather.

Everything I've heard about him through random accounts is that he's very soft-spoken and shy, at least when meeting fans.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

:tinfoil: time

Marry Me didn't get a full back order (effectively cancelled), so Casey Wilson isn't busy.
Benched got cancelled, so Eliza Coupe is free.
Damon Wayans Jr and Adam Pally just left New Girl and Mindy Project, respectively.
Elisha Cuthbert and Zach Knighton are both on mid-season comedies that only have 6 ep orders that are almost certainly in the can by now.

And the writers of Happy Endings posted this on Twitter.

I am trying unsuccessfully not to be really excited even though the countdown ends on April 1st.

You cannot loving get my hopes you. You cannot.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

I only just now read this as "Wheel of Time" instead of "Wheel of Fortune", because I'm blind apparently.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

VorpalBunny posted:

It's certainly not as clever or nuanced as The Good Wife, but I would pair them both as examples of great modern network dramas. CBS - who knew?

CBS also has Person of Interest. Its heaviest hitters, ratings-wise, are its procedural series (CSI, NCIS) but it's also had some of the best network dramas for a while.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
RIP Leonard Nimoy

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

hcreight posted:

The TV By the Numbers article today pointed out that Intelligence premiered to a 2.4 in the same time slot last year, and that ended up getting cancelled. I know even CBS isn't immune to the gradual ratings decline, but they're not gonna carry a rookie 1.0 show. Plus The Good Wife may also be on its way out.

TGW will probably get the Mentalist treatment instead of an outright cancellation, since it's been CBS's big critical/awards darling of its dramas, but yeah I'd expect it to wrap up next season. And if CBS is presumably junking Stalker (which at least managed a 1.5 for an episode or few), they're probably not gonna keep Battle Creek around if it's only swinging a 1.0.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Aphrodite posted:

Also the PoI intro has never been updated for Shaw getting burned which is stupid.

There's probably, y'know, an actual reason for that.

(Edit: If you mean the text itself and not just Shaw's continued presence in the intro, that's all done from Samaritan's perspective and she's still "Sameen Gray/Grey" in that system thanks to the Machine.)

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

thrakkorzog posted:

Yep, reminds of a few years ago, I had a cute co-worker I was charge of training, so I tried chatting her up. It was a bit slow at work, so the subject turned TV. It turned out we both like Star Trek. (I'm not ashamed to admit that I went to a few cons back in the day.) Then she starts geeking out to find a fellow Trekkie, and then just totally freaked me out, and started telling me all about her plans for a Star Trek themed wedding, despite the fact that she was single.

By that point I was just politely trying to walk away. Even lonely nerds can appreciate the wisdom of 'Don't stick your dick in crazy.' When the woman you're hitting on reveals her Federation Wedding plans, it's best to walk away.

I like Star Trek, but I don't stalk Star Trek.

"I like Star Trek" vs "I live Star Trek". (Some people have not developed the social intuitiveness to know when to dial it the gently caress down.)

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

hope and vaseline posted:

Basically this. I don't trust Carter not to gently caress this up.

Man, with X-Files and Twin Peaks returning, are we hitting peak 90s nostalgia yet?

Don't forget Boy Meets World had a spinoff launch last year!

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

thrakkorzog posted:

The first season of Glee was legitimately good or at least decent TV, with some decent biting humor about high school. Then it turned into just a cover band, putting in storylines that existed as an excuse to cover hit songs so they could sell Glee soundtrack CD's.

I pretty much walked away after the whole outrage over 'Finn calling Kurt a fag', which was supposed show that Finn was super intolerant of Kurt because of his homosexuality, and not because Kurt was acting like the world's worst gay stereotype ever, to the point of reinforcing the worst gay stereotypes possible. The Gays are all trying to recruit us to be gay. We're talking the kind of gay stereotypes you would expect to see on a Rick Santorum video about how all the gays are trying to recruit everybody to be gay.

Then when some people objected, the writers accused everyone of being homophobes, instead of just acknowledging that the scene was horribly written, and Finn was in the right to be pissed.

In fairness, I'm pretty sure multiple seasons later (long after anyone still cared about that subplot), they actually DID write in Burt telling Kurt some poo poo about how he know Kurt had pretty well instigated that whole situation but he had to defend his son anyway. Probably not even remotely those exact words, but it did come back up way later and took Finn's side.

(Glee is like The L Word -- important for simply having existed to a decent-sized chunk of people, but ultimately a bad tv show run by an egomaniac.)

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

precision posted:

Well, no, but they are the same brand. It would be like if McDonald's had a line of gourmet restaurants.

The McDonalds near my parents' house in Florida once upon a time (like ten years ago) had a glass case at the order counter, proudly showing off the creme brulee (and a couple other things, I think) you could totally order for your dessert. I'm pretty sure it didn't last very long.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

thrawn527 posted:

So it's basically Kingdom Hearts the TV show?

More or less, except they're using Snow White and pals as the base instead of Mickey/Goofy/Donald

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

raditts posted:

I'm surprised about CSI and H50 though (even moreso that CSI would die and CSIyber wouldn't). I thought those both got pretty good ratings despite how boring and formulaic they are. I guess NCIS, NCIS West, and NCIS South made them redundant?

CSI had its episode order for this season cut in the fall and Ted Danson joined the cast of Fargo (though I don't think that necessarily meant he left CSI entirely), coupled with middling to low ratings on Sundays at 10, are why the cancellation's predicted. H50's inclusion, IIRC, is predicated on CBS needing to lose one more hour-long from its schedule to make way for next season's freshman shows. Could be Blue Bloods, TGW, or POI as well. Hell even NCIS: LA has dropped badly in viewership this season. (With POI, though, Nolan and Plageman have more or less said they're expecting a renewal, with such certainty that they've probably already been informed of such behind the scenes and just can't reveal it until CBS's upfronts.)

CSI: Cyber's getting about average for the network's dramas and stars a recent Oscar winner, so it seems pretty likely that CBS would give it at least a second season.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Fully-ordered 3rd season shows getting automatic 4th season renewals is officially wisdom of the past. Mindy's ratings were abysmal this season even by Fox standards, which is a shame since this was far and away the best, most consistent season of the show. Hopefully the Hulu thing happens so they can end things properly.

I wonder if that might spell similar trouble for Elementary on CBS, since TVBTN's sole reasoning for it getting a guaranteed renewal was for much the same reason as Mindy Project's. (Granted different networks and all, but if the "automatic 4th season renewal" logic wasn't in play, Elementary would probably be on the same rung as H50.)

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Zedd posted:

After the fate of Happy Endings (Yes, I am still bitter) that hasn't been true in my book anyway.

Happy Endings didn't quite fall into the same bucket as the other "automatic 4th season renewal" shows, though, because it didn't have a full first season to where a 4th would've put it at syndication level of episode numbers, IIRC.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
CW actually cancelled something this season - Hart of Dixie (after 4 seasons)

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
CW also cancelled The Messengers, whatever that is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Both The Following and Constantine have been cancelled.

• Locked thread