Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

James Woods Fan posted:

I am watching The Twilight Zone marathon and wondering if this chick is being stalked by death or the other participant in the crash she obviously died in.

Well, which one was it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I do wish that Amazon would just follow the Netflix model. Make a loving show, stop with this 'make a pilot and view the show the year after' model.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Ha. Not sure if this has been posted, but Sepinwall wrote this about the panel for 'Fresh Off The Boat'.

quote:

The fact that it's been so long since "All-American Girl" — a bad behind-the-scenes experience Cho has written and performed about extensively — suggests it's long past time for a show like this, as did an uncomfortable moment early in the panel when a reporter (not a TCA member, but someone credentialed by ABC) asked, "I love the Asian culture, and I was just talking about the chopsticks. I just love all that. Will I get to see that, or will it be more Americanized?" (The cast — and the TCA — looked mortified, but then Park joked, "The original title was 'Chopsticks,'" and Wu added, "But 'Chopsticks' was too controversial.")

Like, well done for handling that as well as they did, but jesus what a thing to ask.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

raditts posted:

It was a lovely "gotcha" kind of thing to ask in the first place. He might as well have asked if he'd stopped beating his wife yet.

Well to be fair, Greenblatt took to the stage making a Cosby joke, so it's not as if he didn't expect it. Greenblatt made the 'critical mass' comment first and Fienberg followed it with the reasonable question about what makes 'critical mass' when the network would've known that Cosby had previously settled out of court for the same claims against him. Asking why 2 women weren't enough to dissuade the network but 15 women were isn't that lovely a thing to do.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I don't know why the gently caress people would get excited about The X-Files coming back, particularly with Carter in charge. It's as if no one saw the latter seasons of the show or the last movie. The heavier into the mythology that Carter got the worse the show became.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

pentyne posted:

Isn't it public knowledge by now that Carter admitted flat out that he made things up on the fly and there was no overarching plot? All the speculation and mystery was for nothing because there was no long term plan, no meta-plot, etc.

I'd always heard mixed things. I'd heard there was a plan but with Anderson getting pregnant it forced their hand. Other times I'd heard that Carter basically had stuff planned up until the movie, but after that he floundered and they basically just made poo poo up. I just can't really get that excited about seeing The X-Files again, outside of seeing Duchovny and Anderson working together. That last movie was dreadful and the show hit the world in a very particular time and place, a time that's basically gone now.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I liked Mad Dogs quite a bit as well. The only thing that holds back The Man In The High Castle is that I feel like it could go off the rails at any point.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I'm about 3 episodes from finishing up the last season of Justified, what was it that people didn't like about it so much? I have a feeling it's the seperate threads, or the Amy Smart stuff which, despite her and Olyphant's best efforts, doesn't work well at all.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

hcreight posted:

Michael Rapaport and his weird, bad accent irked people more than anything. He felt like sort of a downer for a show that has showcased some very good villains. That and the show itself was spinning its wheels.

Tuesday's premiere was pretty promising, though.

Being a brit I got no idea how the accent was supposed to sound so I didn't find it particularly egregious. I can see that the small time, unlikeable family would be a problem though, mainly because they're not as interesting as everyone else and it seemed that they were largely lacking in charm was the point.

I'm closer to the end but I think the Ava problem is the bigger one. I get the point of her story, but it's poorly serviced as it's the runner up plot for most of the season.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Finished Justified Season 5, it's sort of amazing how the show just completely drops the Crowe stuff once Daryl is taken care of. Given Raylan's affinity for the kid you'd think they'd get more a payoff than a brief throwaway line. I actually ended up liking Rappaport a lot by the end, I just wish that the season around him was better. By the end it's just all clearly prologue to the next season, which makes it a tad of waste.

Though Boyd and the cigarettes made it all worth it.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I'm so glad that I treated Glee as a 1 season show. It was fine. If nothing else, Ryan Murphy is reliable for the way he starts strong and quickly dissolves to poo poo.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Aye Doc posted:

Nip/Tuck was so cool at the start :( I mean it was batshit insane, undeniably, but it was on the good side of that coin like Spartacus is

I think that for a while Murphy does 'heightened soap opera' well. And he handled it the best with Nip/Tuck. There are elements of AHS that work well at the start too, but that show has been steadily getting worse with each year (A shame too because it's a killer idea and there's some great settings they've come up with). I don't expect anything less from American Crime Story. He desperately needs someone mandated by the network to say 'No Ryan, this has to make sense. Try it again'.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Supernatural also manages to be one of the most violent shows on TV too. It's surprising how much they get away with sometimes.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Maybe most violent show on the CW, but it's not even on the radar when there are shows like Hannibal, American Horror Story, and Spartacus all over the place. Just to name a few shows, from network, basic, and premium channels.

I should've added on Network television to that. And while Hannibal largely exceeds it now (Though I'd argue a lot of violence there is the aftermath - save Verger and his meal time) I can't think of a network show that matches it for the red stuff.

Though there was a weird time where Millennium was the most violent thing on TV. I'm not sure why Chris Carter got so brutal, but that first season is not a happy time.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

PriorMarcus posted:

Well, that's Moffat for you. He's said that the only reason she 'bettered' Sherlock in the original novels is because she could resist loving him when both of them wanted it. The true power of a woman, for Moffat, is their ability to deny their vagina to people, and in both Sherlock and Doctor Who they loose that power when they give their vagina away (Clara, Irene) or have it taken (Amy).

Moffat seems to equate female empowerment with being overtly sexual. There's nothing stronger in his world than a horny woman who's in charge. But it fits into his weird worldview of Sherlock and Who, in that smart people are brilliant and we should tolerate whatever behaviour because they're just so great. Watson seems only to exist because he is happy in this weirdly abusive relationship. Elementary presents it as Joan making a conscious choice because she's found something that she's good at and it's something that interests her.

I know Sherlock is a lot more limited in time, but it's occasionally insufferable about how 'smart' it is. And given that out of 9 episodes like 3 are good, it's a pretty poor rate.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

OK so I don't want to say that the last episode of 'The Walking Dead' was oddly poetic...but it was. Greg Nicotero did a great job of directing it. On a scripting level it could be another episode, but it didn't look or feel like anything the show had done before.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

zoux posted:

Are they frothing at the mouth and saying the show is terrible and the people are stupid?

It's a lot of "Ugh how did X happen because back in X episode this person was able to spot a zombie from a mile away". I feel like in threads like that, people want a very mechanical explaination for why things happen.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

precision posted:

I thought the desert scene in episode two was a bit too long but overall yeah Odenkirk is nailing it and it's just drat good and drat fun. The flash-forward at the beginning of the series was loving surreal and awesome, too.

I would agree. But it's also an important scene for Jimmy. He's already displayed more compassion and humanity than Walt did. But it's not that fair a comparison since they are completely different characters anyway.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Cart posted:

gently caress, that's rough to see someone so talented go out so young. I'd just listened to the episode of You Made It Weird with him on it where he spoke openly about his struggles with addiction and how he'd come to terms with it and wanting to be clean.

Someone on Reddit (I know) posted that they were at what turned out to be his last stand up show like the night before he was found dead. He talked openly about his drug use but also talked about being sober. It's a hell of a struggle, and what tends to happen, particularly with heroin users, is that after falling off the wagon they take a dose they think will be fine for them, without realising their tolerance levels have dropped and that's how they overdosed.

It's insane to think the guy was 30.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Deadpool posted:

I clicked this dreading it because I thought it would be the stupidest thing ever committed to film. And for the most part it was. But that was clearly the point. The person that made this clearly decided to take the goofiest show and bathe it in blood and guts in order to make some kind of commentary on the trend of movies doing just that. Only he decided to take it to its inevitable ending and just loads it with dark poo poo for the sake of dark poo poo. It's terrible but I understand what they were trying to do so I guess that counts for something. I would bet at almost no point did the people making this (writer/director) think they were making something cool. But it will surely be called that by many people totally missing the point.

Yeah he did an interview on Hitfix where he's said that it's a play on the idea that people clamour for 'dark and gritty' reboots on things. And how he's been watching fan films where they inexplicably do a dark re-imagining of say Mario Brothers. It was all about taking it to its logical conclusion.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Ruffalo would've been so so good as Columbo. But then Mark Ruffalo can never not be great.

In other news, Firefly isn't that great. Here's the thing about it, it has all the ingredients present that you know one day it'll all fall into place and just work, but the majority of those early episodes are just them trying to work all that out. By the time it feels like they're getting there the show was over.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

thrakkorzog posted:

Ruffalo is a decent actor. About the the only complaint I'd have with him playing Columbo is that he is too big and a bit too WASP-y to play Columbo.

Part of the charm of Peter Falk's Columbo is that he's a short, vaguely ethnic guy in a cheap suit who regularly bothers the rich and powerful who think they can get away with murder. Columbo just goes around asking small niggling questions until the murderers are caught in a lie, then busts them on it.

If you haven't already seen it, check out The In-Laws where Peter Falk basically plays Columbo as a CIA agent. The original, not the remake, the remake sucks balls.

Ruffalo does a Columbo-ish character in Zodiac, which I'm pretty sure is where the idea originated to begin with.

I mean Falk is great, but I honestly don't see that much difference, stature-wise, between the two. Hell, I'd be hard pressed to name any modern actor who could really do the role justice.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

See, I have the opposite view- one of the reasons I think it has such a rabid cult is it established what it was pretty quickly. The cast dynamic, the look and feel, the sense of place are there from early on- it never felt to me like the awkward fumbling period most shows have to start, even with a few episodes that aren't as good as the rest.

What I should've added, and what the other fella pointed out, is that the characters and world is there (Though I'd argue that the show still can't quite decide who Mal is) and that's what people tend to respond to the most. The actual episodes themselves though? They're not all that good, but they start to find their footing by the end. It really seemed like the kind of show that would have a killer run of episodes at the end of Season 1 and a great Season 2 but honestly if you come to that show cold now it's like, this is what people went nuts over?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

smg77 posted:

The Welsh are currently letting Kurt Sutter create his newest turd from within their borders. gently caress the Welsh.

gently caress both of you.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Tuxedo Jack posted:

The Bob Sagat roast is the absolute best. The Shatner one is quite good as well. Most of the rest are garbage.

Also, yeah, Going Clear was good, but didn't dip as deeply into the cesspool as I expected. Still recommending the poo poo out of it to everyone at the water cooler.

The book is a stunning read. And in case you missed it, Vulture compiled some of the more insane things the movie left out.

http://www.vulture.com/2015/03/21-insane-things-going-clear-left-out.html?om_rid=AACLQ7&om_mid=_BVGatFB9ARYgve

I remember Dan Fienberg reviewed the movie a while back, and I agree with him that I'd like to see more about the people who work for the church who aren't millionaires and celebrities. We know all about the celebrity aspect to it, but it's still largely made up of people who aren't in the same wage bracket.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

All this roast talk and no one mentioned the Chevy Chase one, in which it was clear that people were there just because they hated him. It's one of the more cringeworthy things I've seen.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

Been hearing good things about "Cheers" lately since it's on Netflix now, started watching it and liking it, but I'm kinda looking forward to Shelley Long leaving the show because Diane is definitely the worst part.

Not looking forward to losing Coach :(

Cheers is amazing, but in the later seasons I miss the Sam/Diane stuff. They went to that well a few too many times, but it was often well handled and well played that you can see why so many other sitcoms have basically chased it since.

It's a huge bummer when Coach goes, but then you get Woody so as a trade off goes it's not so bad.

It's really sort of impressive what they did with that show. They knew they couldn't recreate Sam/Diane so they creatively alter the show so while it loses what made it grounded, it just adds a ton more jokes.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I wish they would take the money they were going to use to make a spin-off, and instead use it to make AoS look better.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Daredevil is interesting in that it feels like each episode is a new issue of a comic run. So there's a through line to it all, but each episode so far is also self contained. I know people have said it's designed to be binge-watched, but I feel that's too reductive. It just feels part of a complete run.

I also like that it's an origin story without quite being an origin story. I think the wisest decision they made was to skip over Matt discovering what he can do. They just rely on you understanding that Matt can hear someone's heartbeat, so he knows they're lying etc.

I also love the idea that in the first episode it shows that the big bads are happy that superheroes are around, because everytime they gently caress up a building it means they get the contract to rebuild.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Lycus posted:

How normal/abnormal is it to give 40% of a season out to every reviewer?

Surprisingly normal. Usually it depends on the show. I think Mad Men only gives out the first, but that's because of Matthew Weiner. Some will just send out the whole series but generally 4 episodes seems to be the common tactic, it's so people can gain a general feel for the season.

On that note, Sepinwall tweeted that any Justified fans should watch the first episode again before the final one, which makes me wonder if they're ending the show the way I thought they would've (With an echo of the final scene, just with a different outcome).

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

VDay posted:

Just finished Daredevil and thought it was loving excellent. Not much to say that isn't just parroting all the praise it's already gotten, but I will take any flimsy excuse I get to point out that the showrunner is the guy behind Spartacus, which everyone should watch. It's obviously a completely different show, but Daredevil gives you some idea of the quality of the writing and the characters that Spartacus also had. Super glad to see DeKnight knock this out of the park considering that sci-fi show he wanted to do after Spartacus seems to have gotten stuck in some sort of development black hole.

There was the worry that with Drew Goddard leaving and Jeph Loeb coming on board (After overseeing the not-very-good AoS) that the show was going to be poo poo, but it seems a lot more of DeKnight's influence in there. Not that the show is perfect. I still think that people are trying to figure out the pacing for a Netflix show in that they seem to be treating these things as a 10 hour movie instead of a TV show, but it's still a format in infancy.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Rarity posted:

I don't really see where this complaint is coming from. Yeah it's a serial story but each episodes is structurally different like ep3 focusing on the law firm, ep7 digging into Matt's past and ep10 revolving around Matt and Foggy's breakup. It's no less episodic than say, the Wire.

I just think the general pacing of the episodes themselves can be an issue. There's this knowledge that because the show will be binge-watched. Episode 2 in particular is awkwardly paced.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

IRQ posted:

One of the best things about Daredevil so far is that he can get the poo poo kicked out of him, although they lay that on a bit thick with his dad's backstory and he has wolverine-like healing but whatever, it's refreshing to see a fight scene crawl to an end as everyone involved is just completely spent and stumbling around flailing at each other. Most of these superhero shows and movies the main is hardly ever injured and then it's always a major plot point or sparks some crisis of confidence.

And yeah, shakey-cam? Show that guy The Bourne Identity.

There's a great touch in the much-vaunted second episode fight, right at the end where Matt is exhausted and just trips over a guy.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I know we talked about it briefly but for anyone who watched 'Going Clear', which is a sort of surface-level look at Scientology, not only should you check out the book - which is great - but Alec Baldwin just did a podcast with Lawrence Wright.

They cover a lot, but their talk about Scientology is pretty fascinating, not least because Baldwin considers Tom Cruise a friend, and then they discuss how Scientologists decorated Cruise's private hanger while being paid less than minimum wage.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

smg77 posted:

I was surprised at how much stuff from the book got left out of the documentary. I wonder if it was just HBO lawyers afraid of lawsuits but I remember reading a bunch of interviews with Lawrence Wright when the book came out and he was emphatic that everything in the book had been researched to death.

Well as well researched as it is, HBO still don't want that headache. Wasn't it vetted by a couple of hundred lawyers first? I think it's why it stays away from anything too incendiary. The book though is fantastic, and a chilling read in places.

Hell, just the stuff on Operation Snowflake could be a documentary all on it's own and I'm disappointed that they didn't make it a multi-part thing.

The podcast is a great listen though, if just to hear how they recruit around by casting agencies and literally draw the line from joining scientology to becoming famous.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Hannibal is also a critical darling and the Amazon Prime exclusivity deal probably makes up a good chunk of the ratings shortfall.

Not just that, but NBC don't pay for Hannibal to be made, they just air it. Obviously they'd love it if the ratings were huge, however it can afford the lower ratings because NBC won't lose money on it. It's largely paid for by international investing and foreign rights (It does really well abroad). Other networks would be happy to big it up because it won't really cost them anything.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

DominoDancing posted:

Does the UK television industry really pay that little? And what does that even mean in hard numbers?

Compared to US shows? They get paid a lot less. There's a tiny (By relative standards) immediate audience and though things do get sold worldwide it doesn't really alter anything too much. Of course it's not just actor's pay that's smaller, everything about the production is. We like to make a big deal of how we only do 6 episodes a series or whatever, but the truth is that if the budgets allowed it then we'd be putting out a lot more.

Take the dreaded Dr Who for example. It's a hit and does well worldwide, but because of how much budget it eats up from the BBC there's a lot less to go around to make other programming which, frankly, is kind of sad. Even just at 10 episodes or whatever it is, the BBC stretch themselves and have to resort to putting out a lot of cheap programming to make up for it. I can guarantee you that David Tennant made a lot more money from doing Gracepoint than he probably made from 2 series of Dr Who.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Bown posted:

No it wasn't. This gets thrown around a lot but it's total poo poo. Leftovers has major issues and it's clear why it wouldn't be to the taste of anyone - for instance my own personal issue is that there's absolutely no levity in any way to contrast against the utter misery and I need my shows to have at least a little humour - yet it's fans just shove their fingers in their ears and go LALALALALA YOU JUST HATED LOST and it's pretty lame and insulting.

I still like Lost and I liked The Leftovers but you're not wrong at all. I think it's a show that, by design, is sort of mired in depression and I can see why that's a total turnoff for people.

I think the Lindelof issue only really comes into play when people wade into a thread and say SO WHAT CAUSED IT ALL THEN, NO ANSWERS AGAIN LINDELOF! which is missing that the show doesn't really have an interest in really answering anything.

It ticks the same sort of box as The Knick for me, which is harrowing (But has moments of levity at least). It looks like there's a pretty major shake-up for Season 2 so it'll be interesting to see where it goes.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Sober posted:

It's silly but apparently THR is saying the streamed versions of Aquarius available will not be adhering to broadcast standards. It might actually be a bit more 'cable' in that respect? At least that's interesting.

If they're basically showing 'unrated' versions online then that makes it a pretty interesting idea, though not one that I'm sure will be successful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Looks like David Lynch has just tweeted that he's back on board with Twin Peaks.

• Locked thread