Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Friend just sent me a photo of Comedy Central ad break bumper for Drunk History with a Union Jack on it. Might be an entertaining localisation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I forgot about the official alternative ending. Far better than the stupid 'we had this idea back in s2 when we thought the show would only last a few years' stupidity they decided to run with in s9. Pretty obviously they knew the real ending was a disaster or they wouldn't have put that one together.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

First Futurama finale was amazing, second one was pretty decent too.

The Office ended really well given how much it had gone downhill.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's click bait to get advertising money.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Another year, and the Toonami/Adult Swim is still unbearable. I have zero idea why they insist on combining those two into a single thread. Maybe I should do a Walking Dead/Adventure Time cross as it makes about as much sense. It just seems to be an excuse for people who probably only post in the tentacle rape forum to post in here without being spotted.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That's the complaint.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I don't watch/enjoy everything that Adult Swim do, but there is a fair chunk of enjoyable programming in the blocks. Half the time if something fun on Eric Andre or Infomercials does anything it just ends up in here, probably because nobody wants to delve through 400 posts about dragonball (this is what the thread was talking about when I tried to click through it earlier. Does Toonami even air DBZ anymore? I honestly don't care).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Given how good the schedule is this month for most days, Mondays truly suck it seems. Although MTV has a show called Eye Candy starting tonight that sounds absolutely abysmal so I'm intrigued to give it a watch.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mu Zeta posted:

Black.Mirror is not from BBC so that one should be fine.

Maybe it's licensed to BBC America for the U.S.? Happens with a few shows. (I don't have NF so can't check).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

raditts posted:

Why were they in such a hurry to kill off two stations that at least seemed to have enough programming to fill out a day, only to replace them with a network that has like 3 original shows, none of which are anything I think of when I think "Esquire"?

At least The Getaway is really fun. I used to always watch The Layover episodes for anywhere I was going, and Getaway fills that spot nicely. Fun for Bourdain to produce but not host too.

Jenny Slate in Barcelona echoed so many of my experiences there, from my refusal to get on that cable car, the metro tickets, and a love of tomato bread.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Aphrodite posted:

HIMYM's ending is built over the entire show and it fits the narrative perfectly.

They wrote the ending when they presumed they had about 3 or 4 seasons max. They then churned out tons more, made Ted an rear end in a top hat the audience hated, introduced the mother character for an entire season that the audience loved then decided to keep the ending that doesn't fit anymore. It was utter garbage.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Aphrodite posted:

Sure. But it still fit the show because people had been saying for years the story seemed to actually be about Robin.

It's not out of left field like, for example, turning into the Punisher with a sentry gun.

It wasn't out of left field simply because the writing had driven the show into the ground and they'd made it very clear where they were going. They didn't even try to hide it when they did the future episode that was oh-so-subtle about the fact the mother had obviously died.

I'm glad the alternative ending exists because I like that one perfectly fine.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I watched the pilot episode of X-Files recently to see what the HD print was like (spoiler: great, it looks seriously great) and I was taken back by just how much I enjoyed it. I loved the show as a kid, enjoyed the s1 rewatched I did about 15 years ago but was genuinely surprised just how good it is. It just looks so different to virtually everything that airs now that's become so reliant on CG when they just had basic effects... if they can nail the feel of the early seasons again, I would be straight up on a new X-Files.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ariza posted:

Is this the version on Netflix? I've been meaning to rewatch it with Kumail's podcast, but I had no idea that they had an HD version available.

Sadly not, the only airing it's had so far to my knowledge is on Germany's 7MAXX (A sub channel of Pro Sieben, I believe). This print is then muxed with the English audio off the DVDs to make it suitable for those of us who can't understand it in a German dub. The on screen text is sadly in German still, but hey.

Enjoy some screenshots though : http://imgur.com/a/QCwN8

Given how old the DVDs are, and that Netflix etc probably use the same prints... they're probably looking pretty ropey now.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Probably done on purpose. The effects were done in 4x3 so have been cropped and up scaled from memory. Pretty sure I read it's no major deal because there aren't *that* many, in comparison to something like Star Trek that had the same problem.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Rocksicles posted:

So Drunk History UK happend....

I'm English born and it was loving poo poo. The american one is so much more charming, and the story telling is pretty incredible considering how drunk they are.

I only saw the preview clip with Russell Kane, who I cannot stand. He didn't come across as actually drunk in the slightest as he rattled off his awful 'joke' filled retelling of the nativity with a few slurred words. Drunk History works because it's such a simple loving concept, and yet the comedy bastions of the UK can't even manage that. Burn this country to the goddamn ground.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

QI is a testament as to how long something can be run into the ground for.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Pillowpants posted:

My wife and I are currently watching parenthood and the west wing on Netflix.

Gilmore Girls is Lauren Graham from Parenthood with script lengths that rival West Wing. It's excellent, if you've ever passed it by because of the name - you've missed out.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The first episode of Black Mirror was so bad, I've never gotten around to the others. Which is a shame, as I imagine I'd like the Bain/Armstrong one. Maybe I'll give a further attempt now the mere thought of Charlie Brooker's existence doesn't send me into a blind rage anymore.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I can't remember the thread here, but BSG had people hating on it before it even aired. Convinced it was going to be a terrible remake and that the old version would reign superior.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Fooz posted:

It's probably something like another improv show or something. There's no reason that ABC would revive it, but I guess TBS or something could.

I'll take another improv show, the first was amazing. But do it with Showtime because holy hell the House of Lied improv looked and sounded about 100x better than Happy Endings'.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

For Happy Endings, it's this. Haven't seen it in ages but remember it being really funny, especially some of the notes that go back and forth between the writing room and S&P.

e: maybe not as much improv as I remembered, but still. Funny.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Feb 9, 2015

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

New Girl sits in that weird place that no matter whether it's on a good run or bad, it's still the worst thing I regularly watch I think. There's just nothing compelling about it at all really, but there's sometimes a few gags that work and I don't hate the cast. It's not good though and if it got cancelled, I wouldn't give a poo poo.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

No, please don't. We had a bunch of really good shows in the 90s in the UK, and losing them sucked. Although it meant Armando moved onto other awesome things, we now haven't got much left that covers important issues and makes them more approachable through comedy.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Argh this is killing me, and the worst thing is I'm sure I've forgotten and remembered this before and remember it being a real pain to find.

Back in the early 90s I remember on BBC 2 they showed an episode of a (most likely) US cop show from between the late 70s and early 80s that had previously been 'banned' because one of the cops gets kidnapped and forced onto drugs so he'd give up information during withdrawal. I'm most likely getting bits wrong, but hopefully someone can name the show based on that? Google is not being my friend today.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

For some reason I wrote off S&H thinking I'd remember if it was that, but you're exactly right. Thanks!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

muscles like this? posted:

Tonight is the sequel to Dinner with Friends with Brett Gelman and Friends. Dinner with Family with Brett Gelman and Family.

The first was great. Did you see Jason Woliner's mothers reaction to watching the new one?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Spatula City posted:

:stare::stare::stare:
I'm in the middle of season 3 of Scandal. I could not possibly defend this show as great, but it's bananas insane in a way I haven't seen before, except for maybe in American Horror Story.

I found s3 had a slight slump but it recovered well. I love the bonkers nature of the show but haven't had time to watch more than the first episode or two of s4... Anyone got feedback on whether its stayed just as entertaining?

I need to give How to Get Away With Murder more time too, it seemed alright for the first 4 or 5 episodes, but I know Scandal needed more time than that to settle into full on batshit crazy territory.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm half Welsh, half Irish and I agree with this message.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

FactsAreUseless posted:

I rewatched Season 4 of Arrested Development and really liked it this time. That last scene is so satisfying every time I see it.

When you get beyond the lower budget/restrictions they had with filming that must've made things really difficult, it's a really solid season. People were just pissed that it wasn't going to hammer references to s1-3 constantly and instead built it's own new jokes that were referenced and resolved later in the season. I don't have as much enthusiasm about it as the previous seasons, but hell I definitely want it to return again and I really should give s4 another run through.

Timby posted:

I mentioned this in the late-night thread, but it's kind of amazing that Leno, Letterman, Ferguson, Stewart and Colbert all ended / are ending their shows within about 18 months of one another.

It really was the absolutely worst time for CC that Stewart could've stood down, as so many other shows were able to get their replacements from the available talent. Literally got the last round draft pick.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'd always look forward to seeing American guests on UK panel shows, but very few are able to fit into the flow of the show. I think things like podcasting and @midnight have helped though, as it's closer to those in terms of approach rather than something like late night.

I know Michael Ian Black was a host of one of the HIGNFY attempts, would've been interested in seeing that at the least.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think he means that the words in the first sentence don't make any sense in the order they're written in.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm sure that's all in the past and nothing like that would happen, say, today.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2015/02/20/us-sitcom-2-broke-girls-slammed-racist-indigenous-australian-joke

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It was nice to see that The Mindy Project kind of worked itself out as a show in Season 2 and became something actually worth while... but is anyone else thinking it's starting to slip back down the slope again? Week in week out it seems to just be The Danny and Mindy Show and it's not been particularly entertaining because of it. Hope it gets out of the rut again, and starts doing more stuff with the other characters, pretty much all of whom are more interesting.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The fact I'm providing a link to a site called http://www.offliberty.com has nothing to do with the previous post, and pasting the URL to the power rangers video in the query box definitely won't download it (and in some cases get around blocks/music blocking).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

At least they didn't use Microsoft gear, nobody wants to sit through an episode of non stop system updates and stuttering Skype calls that drop every 3 minutes.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

GreenNight posted:

Half the drat shows have Surface Pro 3's now.

I can't remember what it was, but I think it was a news network were contracted to have Surfaces on display for marketing, but all they were used for was propping up iPads out of shot.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ha, I haven't watched it yet but plan to. MF can still hit it out the park a few times a season and was intrigued by this concept.

And Apple aren't really known for paying for advertising, but happy to supply laptops etc as needed. If it was all about marketing it probably would've gone to someone who would've paid more money for the spotlight.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I watched an episode of Chicago Fire on a plane ride and it's easily one of the worst dramas I've watched in recent years and a good example of why I don't tend to bother with many network one hour shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Dear Fox

I can kind of understand why you have hashtags of whatever show you're showing on screen, it makes you look cool and down with the kids. But to have them floating halfway up the image is seriously the most annoying poo poo you could do. I get that it's supposed to be above the FOX DOG and I'm sure you've probably sent out polite emails to your affiliates to make sure they format their graphics to fit it... but they don't. Hell some of your stations still have their DOG set up for 4x3 safe, because apparently it's still 1997. This results in your stupid floating hash tag line crossing over the station ident and looking even worse.

Please just drop it.

Love, everyone (I hope).

• Locked thread