Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

PaganGoatPants posted:

Oh I thought it was gonna be like the beginning of SHIELD or something.

It will be, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

raditts posted:

I guess the show got greenlit based on the short that was on the DVD of one of the Marvel movies. It was pretty good, but who knows if they'll be able to keep it up over an entire series.
It helps that she is a more interesting character than all of the characters on AoS combined.

It's actually a miniseries. It's to fill in Agents of SHIELD's hiatus because last year there was a sharp drop when it returned.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's got Rick and Morty in the top 10 and that's your complaint?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

zoux posted:

Hmm let me check my reference list and...yeah I have you listed under Mega Bad Opinions Guy.

It's uncanny. The title is even the same.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What kind of sad person continues to post on message boards beyond their early 20s?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

raditts posted:

Weird Al is also guest starring, which I guess is either good or bad depending on how you feel about him.

Even if you dislike Weird Al you should probably recognize that he is exactly who this show should be bringing in.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The ending to HIMYM is the best joke in the show's run and gets funnier every time PriorMarcus posts about it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The only good Star anything is Starsky and Hutch.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

savinhill posted:

There was an HBO movie based on a premise like this years ago. I didn't like it back then but I was a lot younger and had a lot less patience with slow paced things. Can't remember much else about it though, including the name.

Defiance continues the tradition

Yeah but on there I think the word they use is meant to just be alien for poo poo.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's easy.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/misc.php?action=whoposted&threadid=3691158

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CaptainHollywood posted:

Has Josh Duhamel always been second-tier Timothy Olyphant?

Timothy Olyphant used to be second tier Josh Duhamel.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Power Rangers.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

raditts posted:

Like 90% of the shows on television are loving "procedurals" if your definition is "plot is mostly self-contained to a single episode with maybe a couple of plot threads that extend to later episodes."

That's the definition of episodic, not procedural.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It stars a former Disney (or ABC Family or whatever) actress though so a lot of people are going to watch it and insist it's actually quite good.

And that's just here.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

soapgish posted:

HEMLOCK GROVE, ending after S03. Originally they were committing to two seasons of each new show for reasons, which I think really helped sell the perception of their content's value.

Is that the unprofitable kind of cancel or the just ending kind though? I know it gets horrible reviews but it seems popular.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rule 3!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

IRQ posted:

gently caress that, Avatar is not anime and does not belong in the pedophile forum, I will continue to not talk about that bad show (Korra) here thank you. :colbert:

Uh, isn't this the pedophile forum?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Here are my top 18 pages of this thread:

18: The last page
17: This page

Come back tomorrow for more.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She deserves it for Scrubs.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

HIMYM's ending is built over the entire show and it fits the narrative perfectly.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

They wrote the ending when they presumed they had about 3 or 4 seasons max. They then churned out tons more, made Ted an rear end in a top hat the audience hated, introduced the mother character for an entire season that the audience loved then decided to keep the ending that doesn't fit anymore. It was utter garbage.

Sure. But it still fit the show because people had been saying for years the story seemed to actually be about Robin.

It's not out of left field like, for example, turning into the Punisher with a sentry gun.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Everybody dies is my New Year's Resolution.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DaveWoo posted:

Yes it does.

And it is also terrible.

It's a terrible episode. It's a very fitting finale.

Decius posted:

Sure, if you ignore everything after season 2, especially the last two seasons when they spent hours on showing us how good a pairing Robin and Barney are, and how it's ~~TRUE LOVE~~. I think it was Sepinwall how said, it was a finale for people who only watched the first season. And would only have worked if they had cast a far worse and less likeable actress as mother.

They constantly showed that Barney and Robin were terrible together.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What's the first?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Plus given Amazon's track record here this might be all you get to see of the interesting ones.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I didn't say they don't choose the good ones.

They mostly choose the ones that sound like they could pop up on CBS next fall. I don't watch most of them because Canada, so it might just be that the other more unique ones suck but there's nothing about the ones they do choose that make me want to subscribe (if I could.)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

All presidents are bad. Your government is terrible and it's mostly your fault.

You can substitute president for whatever your dumb country has if you live somewhere else.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sleeveless posted:

I always thought the biggest thing they always gloss over is the point of transition from zombies being A Thing to the entire world being overrun by them and society collapsing. Even the guy who wrote World War Z admitted he couldn't think of a believable way to have slow zombies take over the world which is why there's nothing between the US Army losing the battle of Yonkers and the post-apocalypse when they've already taken over.

Yeah, you always see the destroyed tanks and stuff but never how it happened.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

pentyne posted:

Because there's no way to show it "happening" without a mind-numbingly level of stupidity at literally every aspect. Like the scene in Dawn of the Dead 2003 where its all happy suburbia then suddenly anarchy and chaos somehow out of nowhere, planes crashing in the background and everywhere the entire world is in the same state of panic in a matter of hours. Same problem with that Brad Pitt movie.

That one at least had the weird zombie pileups that can take down helicopters. Taking out a helicopter is just a matter of weight.

Or if they're Canadian helicopters, wait.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That actually is her origin. Just with a big gap between the crash and found.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Metal Loaf posted:

Yeah, but what I mean is that the TV series could've had it that she landed on Earth and was found as a baby, and then raised by the Kents into adulthood.

Yeah, I just meant that it's not as big a change as people might think.

quote:

The other lead role currently being cast is that of 26-year-old Alexandra “Alex” Danvers, Kara’s gorgeous, brilliant, science-minded foster sister. Growing up, Alex was partly jealous of her sibling yet also fascinated by her abilities, prompting Alex to learn as much as she could about alien anthropology, sociology and culture. Today, Alex works for a secret government organization and, alongside her heroic sis, will face many challenges, both mundane and super.

Alexandra "Girl Lex" Danvers.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I hope you're American, because if not it's really hard to watch.

First 2 seasons are on Netflix UK at least, and I think everyone outside the US uses a Netflix DNS redirector at this point.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

For gently caress's sake guys, stop listening to the people telling you to suffer through seven hours of garbage television. Nobody, not even PoI fans, like the first season. SKIP IT and get to the actual poo poo people have been praising in this, and many other, topics.

On an unrelated note, watch 2 Broke Girls.

Also 7 episodes of a 1 hour TV show is less than 5 hours now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Regy Rusty posted:

It's leagues better than Arrow in every way. That's the only part of your question I can answer.

Well except acting.

It's actually worse at that than a CW show starring a bunch of soap actors.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Weird looking British guys are super in right now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

So Hancock.

With rape.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

zoux posted:

You know how they are doing this, the scoundrels. I, a true supporter of the medium, am correctly waiting until it is released on the streaming service of my choice.

I watched the first 2 seasons on Netflix UK.

That makes us even.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

zoux posted:

Are you an englishman

The Queen's on my money.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

When they did add a regular female character the fans wanted her dead.

thrakkorzog posted:

The Racist Truck is a bit after school special "Racism is bad." It doesn't help that while it is supposed to be set in the Deep South, all the supporting actors are very obviously Canadian as gently caress, eh. Which kind of diminishes the effectiveness of the storytelling.

It's okay, BC is right up there with the South sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Aye Doc posted:

wasn't there one female character who received no such scorn, all because she was a lesbian and thus no threat to the fans' impregnation fanfics about Sam/Dean?

Sort of. A lot of people still dislike her but it's because she is annoying as hell, but she's popular enough to have come back like 4 times.

Also some people dislike her just because it's Felicia Day.

• Locked thread