Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Rarity posted:

CineD was not a fan :smith:

SuperMechagodzilla said it "embraces what Zizek calls 'the filmic unreality' of its hyperbolic narrative at the expense of good taste." Also something about awkward scaling in its cinematography.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Amazon has changed its mind about The After.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Netflix premieres!
  • The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (Tina Fey / Robert Carlock comedy that was rescued from NBC, starring Ellie Kemper): Friday, March 6
  • Bloodline (Ensemble drama / thriller from the creators of Damages, starring Kyle Chandler, Linda Cardellini, and Sam Shepard amongst many others): Friday, March 20
  • Daredevil (Daredevil): Friday, April 10
  • Grace and Frankie (Comedy with Jane Fonda, Lily Tomlin, Martin Sheen, and Sam Waterston): Friday, May 8

Marco Polo has been renewed for a second season. No word on if Lilyhammer is getting a fourth.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
PATRICK WILSON IS LOU SOLVERSON.

Also officially joining Kirsten Dunst, Jesse Plemons, and Jeffrey Donovan on Fargo season 2: Ted Danson, Jean Smart, Nick Offerman, Brad Garrett, Bokeem Woodbine, Angus Sampson, and Kieran Culkin. Details on their characters in the link above.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
This is a mod-sanctioned(*) Brett Gelman alert:

Dinner with Family with Brett Gelman and Brett Gelman's Family runs February 13th on Adult Swim.

*("Mod-sanctioned" in terms of "Deadpool adores Brett Gelman so I'm taking this opportunity to kiss up and score points.")

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 9, 2015

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Feel free to cross-post this in any relevant threads: Powers is set to premiere on the PlayStation Store on Tuesday, March 10. I'm assuming they'll drop it all at once, but my source is the PS3 news ticker, so I can't confirm either way.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Good poo poo coming to Netflix in February. On the first, Spartacus (The Complete Series) and Seasons 1-5 of MASH drops.

Danger 5 (just season 1 I assume) hits on the 6th.

House of Cards S3 rolls on the 27th.

Full list: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/movies-coming-netflix-february-764711

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

zoux posted:

Here are some rumored details of the Walking Dead spinoff, said to be titled "Fear the Walking Dead".

Hottest take? "Durrr Hope it's Better than the Original, Which Sucks" is taken I'm afraid.

That sounds loving stupid.

I say that well aware that movies like Titanic, if it worked for you, worked for similar reasons.

But that sounds incredibly loving stupid.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

VDay posted:

Apparently they were contacted by lawyers and told to take some of the stuff down so I guess it's not just rumors. And boy howdy that sure sounds loving awful. It's AMC so you know they're planning on having this thing run for 10+ seasons if they can, so what happens when the outbreak actually happens? Is it just the pilot that's pre-outbreak and then it's just TWD 2.0?

It sounds like they want to do the whole thing as a family drama set just before the collapse of society. Maybe we'll trace the source of the pandemic to a government-funded science project -- it's always a government project -- that's officially called the Mid-level Intrinsic Chlorination Information Network, or Project MIDICHLORIAN

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

IRQ posted:

I think AMC as a prestige network may have been a short-lived thing.

Well, this comes from the mouth of a bitter Frank Darabont, and was filtered through the mental giants over at AICN, so there's a few opportunities to call bullshit on this. But apparently Charlie Collier, who last I checked has been running development at AMC ever since The Walking Dead, is a short-sighted prick. He can talk the talk about how much story matters, but when the chips are down, he shows little respect for the creative end of the process. Again, that's Darabont talking; of course he'd be pissed at Collier after he shitcanned him from his own show. But considering how much trouble AMC has had launching a series that been on point from the start, or attracting some real heavy-hitters to the network that launched Mad Men and Breaking Bad (compare to FX and Guillermo del Toro, opinions of The Strain aside), I think there's at least some fire behind the smoke.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
For those of you who were curious about Transparent, don't have Amazon Prime, and you have nothing to do this Saturday, Amazon is making the whole series free to stream for that day only.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
What the gently caress, Ravane?

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jan 23, 2015

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Aphrodite posted:

I hope you're American, because if not it's really hard to watch.

First 2 seasons are on Netflix UK at least, and I think everyone outside the US uses a Netflix DNS redirector at this point.

The series is hitting Netflix in the fall, FWIW, though the original Deadline report suggested that it would only be the first three seasons -- which would be frankly insane, but considering how long the series took to get any sort of digital distribution, I almost believe it.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
It's funny that RJS just posted because I think I found a new reason for him to hate America

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Pillowpants posted:

I need a show to be recommended to me.

My wife and I are currently watching parenthood and the west wing on Netflix. I prefer the latter, she the former but other shows we have had in common are Oz, Lost, Being Human and the Walking dead. We both tried and hated The Shield and SoA. she won't watch superhero shows and I won't do procedural cop shows.

Have you watched Friday Night Lights by any chance? I THINK I've seen you in one of the old threads, but on the off-chance I'm remembering wrong, it's from the creator/developer of Parenthood and it has probably the best "idealistic elder-statesman" lead of an ensemble (Eric Taylor) since Jed Bartlett. So it's got something for both of you.

EDIT: And it's on Netflix, easy to catch up on. PoI won't be up there until fall. (But once it is, you should totally jump on that.)

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 31, 2015

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

GMArcturus posted:

Anyways, thanks for letting me vent. I'll be leaving now.

It was a good fight, but in the end, this guy was funnier.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Who's been keeping up with Elementary? Have they started doing a will-they-won't-they thing between Sherlock and Joan? Somebody on Facebook was complaining about how making Watson female created all this sexual tension when there shouldn't be any (in relation to the ongoing Ghostbusters casting argument), and I remember hearing that that was never the plan. Still, a lot can change in two years, so I want to make sure nothing has before I drag myself into this unwinnable war.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

GreenNight posted:

There is absolutely no sexual tension what so ever. The person posting that is projecting.

Yeah, that's what I thought. Not that I'm making a habit of this (seriously, this'll be the only time), but here's his response, just for the record:

"pfft... Sherlock is jealous all the time whenever she has a date, and there are moments of silence where it's clear. I've seen every episode."

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

GreenNight posted:

He selfishly wants her time, not her rear end. Doesn't matter, he won't be convinced.

Of course he won't, I'm just bored and curious. A deadly combination.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Also, Fincher is the one who brought in Flynn. You don't hand-pick a writer if your investment is purely on the visual side, even if the idea is that he trusts Flynn to go where he needs to go.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Manos del Sino posted:

This is the final season of Banshee?

Booo.

They haven't ordered a 4th season yet, but it's Cinemax's new signature show now that Strike Back is on its way out. If this was the last ride, there'd be more fanfare. I think pentyne just meant "this current season."

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Walton Goggins lines up his next transcendent television performance.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

zoux posted:

The gently caress looks rough about it?

Well, Damages itself was kind of a bad hand played well, where the actors would elevate some absurd melodramatic material in order to make it work. Not that I'm complaining, mind: though I haven't watched much past the second season, I loved the game they were playing, and watching the likes of Glenn Close play it made the whole package sweeter. But that doesn't change the fact that the actual content is shaky, and there are people who just won't buy in because of it.

It also doesn't help that the cover of "Nothing Else Matters" they used was just weak, and that dragged down the trailer as a whole. I may make fun of Walking Dead thread posters for being terrible at watching TV, but they totally get to make fun of me for thumbing through Spotify, trying to Monday Morning Quarterback a better song.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Mo0 posted:

Challenge mode: Find a better song for the opening montage in Better Call Saul last night.

I'm conceding, there's no way you can top that.

zoux posted:

Did you see that Kyle Chandler is in it

Well, yeah, obviously I've got March 20th blocked off.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Spatula City posted:

:stare::stare::stare:
I'm in the middle of season 3 of Scandal. I could not possibly defend this show as great, but it's bananas insane in a way I haven't seen before, except for maybe in American Horror Story. It has no functional understanding of how the presidency or spycraft or politics actually work, and the result is glorious nonsense.
It is really frustrating though whenever it goes into the FORBIDDEN LOVE bullshit, which just creeps me out because it's such a dysfunctional, borderline abusive relationship.

Think of the love story less as a love story and more as drug addiction. Even Shonda Rhimes has said it's not supposed to be a healthy, rootable relationship, and the only reason it plays like one is we're in Olivia's POV, where she can't help but go askew over this one thing.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Spatula City posted:

It's pretty frustrating, though, because Olivia has the potential to be a hyper-competent badass, but Fitz has just completely hosed that up. And he's an emotionally manipulative spoiled little boy. Last episode I watched, Evil Papa Pope brutally eviscerated him (verbally, not literally, though I'm sure he would've if he could've), explaining just how much of a spoiled, entitled, pathetic little poo poo Fitz was. It was magical, and Joe Morton deserves all of the awards for it.
Every time Olivia starts to do the smart thing and try to disentangle herself from Fitz, he abuses his power as president to force her to meet him, and then, yet again, emotionally manipulates her into sex. This is beyond hosed. Fitz is Scandal's real monster. And he just keeps getting away with it.
The other frustrating thing is that Fitz's two closest advisers would both be far better presidents. Cyrus and Mellie are both monstrous, but they're at least adults, and aware of their own hosed-upped-ness. But I suppose that's purposeful, because Shonda Rhimes is trying to make a Big Statement about how loving awful the world is about who they'll accept as leaders. Give them a rich handsome white guy, and practically nothing else matters. But brilliant, strong-willed people like Mellie and Cyrus are relegated to behind-the-scenes operators purely by accidents of their birth. And of course by being part of a political party that somehow seems to cluster the most virulent strains of essentialism within it.
Even Sally Langston, who is insane, would've been a better president than Fitz. FOR THAT MATTER, Reston, who also murdered someone, would have been better.

I don't know if I'd agree that a Langston administration would be better than Fitz's, but I see what you're saying. Part of what season 2 was getting at was that the point of Fitz isn't to be a president, but rather to be a sockpuppet for guys like Cyrus, Mellie, and Hollis Doyle. However -- and I say this at the risk of absolving him, which I certainly don't mean to do -- various factors have conspired to stunt his emotional age, leaving him to be more like the kind of pissy little spoiled teenager who thinks a band like Linkin Park "gets it," you know? Therefore, an inordinate amount of Mellie, Cyrus, and even Olivia's work revolves around getting Fitz's head screwed the gently caress straight and convincing him that he's really the great man he's supposed to be, that way he can do the work they want him to do. Sally or Reston wouldn't bring that baggage to the table; they're natural leaders. Fitz has to fake it as best as he can with the help of the people around him, and that doesn't always work out.

The show's going to get more absurd as you progress through, and Fitz and Olivia are always going to be An Issue, but I think you'll be intrigued with how they resolve the third season.

If nothing else? Believe it or not, you haven't even BEGUN to see Smokin' Joe Morton chew the scenery.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 14, 2015

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Crossposting from the Amazon Pilots thread:

Also, Mozart In the Jungle Season 2 is a go.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

zoux posted:

What other Amazon shows have been renewed?

Transparent already got a Season 2, and it's too soon to tell on Bosch since it hasn't even been a week. No word on Alpha House.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Didn't we just agree to knock this poo poo off? We have a Daily Show thread, you know.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Guys, Parks and Rec writer Harris Wittels is dead. He was 30.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Shageletic posted:

Also that bananas Two Broke Girls news conference.

That was Michael Patrick King, not Chuck Lorre.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

zoux posted:

What happened?

Lemme set the stage. 2 Broke Girls had just premiered, critics think that there's a charming, witty show somewhere underneath the rubble of racist caricatures and terrible sex humor, and they say "Hey, it's hard for a comedy to be on fire out of the gate. Let's give it a little while and see which wolf it feeds the most, so to speak."

The January TCA conference arrives. 2 Broke Girls gets its own panel. Critics are REALLY interested in seeing what the cast and crew thinks about where the show needs work and what they do best. And, really, what the deal was with all the problematic jokes.

Michael Patrick King, in turn, didn't take it too well.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Detention is basically a twenty-car pileup involving Saw, Scream, The Breakfast Club, Freaky Friday, Freejack, The Rules of Attraction, and many others, and the wreckage somehow forms a coherent, beautiful picture. It's a miracle of a movie; love it, hate it, you should know it exists. It's on Netflix.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I didn't grow up with Leonard Nimoy either, but the few things I've seen him in, he always brought a weird, addictive energy to the table. I know enough to know we lost someone great.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

lelandjs posted:

Battle Creek is looking DOA, though. Did anyone watch it (I didn't)?

I did. It was by the books, but charming.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

hcreight posted:

It was alright but nothing I'd go out of your way to watch, at least yet. And yeah, a 1.0 premiere on CBS has me wondering if it'll even make it through its episode order.

It's worth noting that it picked up the most total viewers of the hour (though obviously that doesn't mean anything), and that The Good Wife didn't do that much better in the demo.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

zoux posted:

So what caused the apocalypse in Last Man on Earth.

Obamacare

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

EL BROMANCE posted:

But it's an NBC sitcom that NBC refused to air because it was too weird, that gives me hope. Most of NBCs output isn't that bad, CBS certainly beat them in the stakes to see who can get the biggest piece of garbage to air this year with The Odd Couple.

And it landed Ellie Kemper for the lead. Ellie Kemper is goddamned amazing and it sounds like this role is going to make her the star she deserves to be.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Anybody going to watch DIG tonight? Looks terrible to me and I wish Jason Issacs was still doing Awake cause he's a better actor than some Middle East conspiracy show.

Funny you should bring that up because I was just coming here to tell you about how Daniel Fienberg sent that show to the burn ward.

Daniel Fienberg posted:

"The Big Bang Theory" did an episode in which Amy ruins "Raiders of the Lost Ark" for Sheldon by pointing out that for all of the action and adventure, "Indiana Jones plays no role in the outcome of the story. If he weren’t in the film, it would turn out exactly the same."

I've watched "Raiders of the Lost Ark" subsequently and, thankfully, Amy didn't actually ruin the movie. I can't dispute her regarding the main character's agency, but it's still an awesome movie, one of the genre's most thrilling achievements.

You cannot, it turns out, ruin "Raiders of the Lost Ark" by pointing out a structure flaw.

You also, fortunately, cannot ruin "Raiders of the Lost Ark" by doing a dreadful story about nefarious forces searching for the Ark of the Covenant, or Ark-adjacent artifacts. But if you could ruin "Raiders of the Lost Ark" merely by desecrating its dramatic objective, USA's "Dig" might come dangerously close.

Read more at http://m.hitfix.com/the-fien-print/review-usas-dig-goes-from-holy-land-mystery-to-wholly-bland-dud#rJFzoo35Y3ijqjSc.99

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Mar 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Bown posted:

Kimmy Schmidt's up. First episode was really funny. It's definitely way better than that lovely trailer made it look.

I'm about a third of the way through the 4th episode. The theme song's gonna get under some skins, but holy poo poo this show. It's basically 30 Rock centered around a survivor of prolonged gross abuse instead of a TV writer; no wonder NBC was scared of this. I'd be terrified. But instead of feeling insensitive or like it's piling on, the thing loving works, and in a just world Ellie Kemper would be a mortal lock for the Emmy.

And the best part? I suspect it's only just warming up. If this thing finds a new gear it could actually stand toe to toe with Last Man on Earth, and I don't say that lightly.

EDIT: Well gently caress me running that didn't take long. I mean it's not Last Man on Earth good (and let's be clear, that'd be an incredible mark to hit; it's like faulting any NBA player for not being LeBron James), but the 4th episode, "Kimmy Goes To the Doctor!", is to Kimmy Schmidt what "Tracy Does Conan" is to 30 Rock.

And what the hell is this show going to be like when Fey and company isn't writing to NBC standards anymore? Not that I'm expecting it to suddenly go TV-MA, but I wouldn't be surprised if Fey was holding back out of network considerations, consciously or otherwise.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Mar 6, 2015

• Locked thread