Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Motronic posted:

Just add kevlar laces and they are perfect for quite a while.

I need more information immediately :stare:

I went through like 6 pair of laces on that last pair of boots, mostly because I end up grinding dirt into them and dragging them over gravel while working on junkyard cars.

Ever see this happen? Welp.

The laces naturally get sawed through in exactly the same spots (half the eyelets are like that) and it annoys the poo poo out of me. Actually, kevlar probably isn't the right tool for the job, I suspect it will get cut by dirt/dust just as easily.

In fact... the new ones already have a bit of worn away metal there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

I need more information immediately :stare:

It was so awesome when I found these because I always had the exact same problem.

Ironlaces. That's not the only brand, but that's what I've got at the moment.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Motronic posted:

Currently pleased with pair number <who knows> of Carolinas. Just add kevlar laces and they are perfect for quite a while.

Tried Red Wings. Not impressed so far. The soles on mine are not wearing as good as I would like and the toes have really taken a beating. The water resistance is mediocre at best.

I'll be back to Carolinas soon. Just waiting for the next free boot voucher to hit.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Motronic posted:

While I appreciate that, I seem to not be able to find my local cobbler's shop anymore.

All three of the large indoor malls in my city (and about half of the strip malls) have a shoe repair place in them, they shouldn't be that hard to find. :confused:

A quick google search for "Portland Shoe Repair" got me a half dozen places right at the top of the page:
https://www.google.com/maps/search/shoe+repair+portland/@45.5424364,-122.654422,11z/data=!3m1!4b1

Surely there has to be at least a few shoe repair places near you?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Went to a NYW party, told four dudes in attendance they can get hosed and we're done! Then downed an entire bottle of Kettle One and got drunk as gently caress, woke up with a bitch of a hangover but feeling great. Had a steak and egg lunch, did some shopping with the lady and it was a great day. Also reconnected with a friend that I've been losing touch with and made a vow to hang out so we don't drift any further apart. Tomorrow is day 1 of work in my elevated position, we're already planning a vacation for the fall, life is good.

gently caress 2014, 2015 shall reign eternal.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I had to be to work this morning at 9a and idk what I ate last night cuz I sure didn't drink a whole lot but I puked my loving brains out while staying at my wife's parents.

I guess I was so loud that it woke my father in law up and he said something like "yikes, guess he's not going to work" to my wife the. Was absolutely shocked when I walked out of the bathroom saying how much better I felt see you nerds later. It's amazing how well years of puking all the time from stomach issues prepares you for getting over a simple stomach ache puke compared to other people

Edit: it was either from a shitload of Brie and apples or from the four coke and raspberry vodkas I had, idk

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

HotCanadianChick posted:

All three of the large indoor malls in my city (and about half of the strip malls) have a shoe repair place in them, they shouldn't be that hard to find. :confused:

A quick google search for "Portland Shoe Repair" got me a half dozen places right at the top of the page:
https://www.google.com/maps/search/shoe+repair+portland/@45.5424364,-122.654422,11z/data=!3m1!4b1

Surely there has to be at least a few shoe repair places near you?

Last I time I went looking for local shoe repair I only found delicious alcohol. :v:
Hanson's Shoe Repair A really cool local speakeasy bar. Kinda pricey but had good drinks.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Paging meatpimp to the chat thread, meatpimp to the chat thread: How about that upset? :haw:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

T1g4h posted:

Paging meatpimp to the chat thread, meatpimp to the chat thread: How about that upset? :haw:

Ho-lee poo poo. So are people going to hate the Buckeyes more or less now that they downed Alabama? It's like they're trolling in real life.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

As a Gator fan*, it's sad the SEC team got knocked out, but OTOH gently caress Alabama. It cancels out. :haw:

*i havent watched a college football game of my own volition in like 5 years so take that as you will

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

meatpimp posted:

Ho-lee poo poo. So are people going to hate the Buckeyes more or less now that they downed Alabama? It's like they're trolling in real life.

I hope they get nothing but love for this. It's so drat nice to see Alabama get beaten :allears:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Meyer beating Sabin is ok in my book. Just wish he was still at Florida :smith:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

meatpimp posted:

They didn't impress me much. Oregon's going to eat them alive. 'Bama just imploded on offense, and gave the game away in the second half.

Sardikar
Sep 27, 2004
I cant think of anything to put here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ohi5mQJPLOM

From the maker of Black Mirror, Charlie Brooker and one last gently caress 2014 and a peremptive gently caress 2015!

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 248 days!)

Well, I am gonna be MIA for awhile. With all I raised from selling my poo poo on samart- it isn't enough. I had hoped to fly, but can't. I'm stuck driving half-an-invalid to see off a full one. Keep 13" drunk to keep up shitposting quantity/quality.

Don't tell Ozzy that we're talking the Ferd (all terrains have only about 10k on them.)

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I wish I took a picture now that I'm posting about it.

Spent new year's with a couple good friends drinking and being silly, but we went out for dinner at a new local brewpub/restaurant that was so busy we had to sit at the bar. I had a buzz to begin with but fortified it with a few G&T's over snacks and dinner. But what really made the night memorable was the bartender, a super cute blonde woman in her late 20's who was just working her rear end off. She was smiling at everyone, hustling like a loving pro, paying attention to everything and always had time to cut in and help us out, never left us hanging with empty drinks or anything. She was witty with the customer chit-chat and when she wasn't doing that she was humming along to whatever song was playing on the PA system. Basically she was killing it at her job and seemed to be in a great mood the whole time. She dropped "my husband" into the conversation pretty early in the evening to ward off too much flirting but it didn't keep me from superficially falling in love with her anyway. I tipped her 30%.

Reminded me of the kind of woman I'd really like to meet, I always tend to go for perpetually unhappy narcissists who make me do all the work and blame me for anything less than perfection. Explains a lot about why I've given up dating, but that bartender really got me pondering again.

Here's to 2015!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

STR catte #2 has turned into quite the fearless cat. He's stealing food from the counter, from the dog, etc.

Now the rear end in a top hat is photobombing my selfies. Jackass.

The tradeoff is he keeps my lap warm when I'm sitting down, and keeps my side warm when I'm sleeping. I think it's a fair trade.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I'm feeling the effects of getting older. I spent most of new year's day talking about electronic radiator valves with my dad :v:

He's been looking into switching all of their radiators to electronic valves, since they have 25 radiators and it would be super convenient to be able to regulate all of them from a PC, rather than slogging around and twisting all of them when they go on vacation. Plus, they won't have to come home to a cold-rear end house when they get back again. They also have a couple of rooms they only use once or twice a week, like the band's music room, so most of the week there's no reason to keep a comfortable temperature there.

So as sort of a pilot project, I'm installing electronic valves on the 2 radiators in my apartment, to see how well it works. I found a kit with two valves, two window sensors and a control module, which was perfect for my needs. Unfortunately one of the valves was faulty and I'm waiting for the replacement. But even with just the radiator in my living room under electronic control, the radiator is cooler than before for the same comfortable room temperature. I have no idea how that even works, but I'll take any heating savings I can, last winter was brutal for heating costs.

The system also reduces the temperature slightly at night and when I'm at work. That'll probably give another 5-10% savings. I'm getting older and more responsible. It feels weird.

And of course there's an app for it.

It's like that Nest thing, but for civilized countries that use water-based heating instead of air-based heating.

I've also learned that heating geeks are even worse than lighting geeks. Seriously, the things some of those dudes hack up with home automation and customized heating profiles. It's worse than PC modding.

Unfortunately for my parents, 23 of their 25 radiators use return valve thermostats, and there are apparently no electronic return valve thermostats on the market. So they'll have to retrofit all of them with conventional valves. But when you're looking at saving ~10% on a $8000/year heating bill, it's probably a good idea anyway.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jan 2, 2015

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Commited to helping a buddy with a few CEL codes his Mazda6 is throwing, a cylinder 3 misfire and a lean code on both banks. From googling, looks like we will check the MAF, vacuum leaks, swap the coil out of cylinder 3 and see what we get.

Bonus: I forgot it was a fwd v6 car, and of course cylinder 3 is on the back bank, requiring pulling the intake manifold and like 20 various connections to it. Also, its like 28 degrees out and I dont have a garage. I guess I am a good friend?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
How many miles on it? Want to bet whether anyone has changed the plugs on the back, even if they've been changed on the front?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
http://www.jdpower.com/press-releases/2014-us-initial-quality-study-iqs

Holy gently caress... Land rover is better than quite a few vehicles in the latest initial quality. Though seeing scion down the list is shocking.... Along with Jeep.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BrokenKnucklez posted:

http://www.jdpower.com/press-releases/2014-us-initial-quality-study-iqs

Holy gently caress... Land rover is better than quite a few vehicles in the latest initial quality. Though seeing scion down the list is shocking.... Along with Jeep.

Volkswagen made the list. I'm honestly surprised they exceeded the Industry standard.

Even worse, they beat out Dodge and Ford. Interesting.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Things I never thought I'd say: These new tires have way too much grip. 40mph down a gravel / dirt / mud road, and I couldn't get my Crown Vic to slide at all. For 225/65/16's they have ridiculous amounts of traction.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

Volkswagen made the list. I'm honestly surprised they exceeded the Industry standard.

Even worse, they beat out Dodge and Ford. Interesting.

Read the whole thing: VAG as a corporate entity made it solely because they now own Porsche; VW as its own brand is still where they've always consistently been: below industry average.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

loving :lol: at fiat. People talk about those cars and my canned response is do you really want an italian designed/engineered dodge built in mexico?

T1g4h posted:

Things I never thought I'd say: These new tires have way too much grip. 40mph down a gravel / dirt / mud road, and I couldn't get my Crown Vic to slide at all. For 225/65/16's they have ridiculous amounts of traction.

I too know this feeling. New snows and a two ton vehicle and I cannot slide my wagon around unless I'm really hee hawing on the steering wheel or doing dumb poo poo.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I was kinda annoyed when I discovered I couldn't do 4x4 donuts in snowy parking lots anymore, only RWD donuts. drat studded winterforces ruined all my fun.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

HotCanadianChick posted:

Read the whole thing: VAG as a corporate entity made it solely because they now own Porsche; VW as its own brand is still where they've always consistently been: below industry average.

I shouldn't respond to this, but: You know I have you on ignore because you are generally a pretentious rear end, right?

And I don't care.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Up early on saturday to go to work. Wish it wasnt because this was happening.

http://www.news.com.au/national/sou...4-1227172035133

Im on fire standby today because they are predicting dry lightning and another day of nearly 40 degrees with strong winds and all of the other crews they HAD for standby are off at this massive mess of a fire at Humbug Scrub. They havent been able to get a lid on this thing at all last night because the weather was crap, its threatening the suburbs and numerous towns. Its a poo poo storm regardless of how you look at it.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
OTOH, people here seem to be of the opinion that Chrysler & Dodge explode faster than they can make them, and Chrysler almost makes the top third (and the Challenger is the highest ranked "Midsize sporty car").

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

I shouldn't respond to this, but: You know I have you on ignore because you are generally a pretentious rear end, right?

And I don't care.

Ignore is playing the internet on easy mode. :clint:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I thought FedEx lost the $300 in parts I ordered from Pelican but they merely did like every other delivery driver and delivered them to the wrong building, that was a depressing couple of hours though

piss boner
May 17, 2003

Have the day off today. Get up, the wife made breakfast, she has work today and asked what I had planned:
1. Video games, drink beer.
2. Climb through a bunch of yards for some interior bits.
3. Work on my greenhouse.
I told her that any of those are solid possibilities and I would go where the wind took me. An hour after she left for work, she calls and asks if I can drop off a few things she forgot. Oh, and by the way, could you take the daughter to the mall because she is down to her last pair of jeans. FUUUUUUUUUUCK. The mall is 45 miles away + traffic. Back home at 2PM with $200 less in my wallet. It's started raining off and on so #2 & 3 are off the list now.

HotCanadianChick posted:

Realized this was boring as poo poo a while back. A lot of the turds here grown on you.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

HotCanadianChick posted:

piss boner posted:

Realized this was boring as poo poo a while back. A lot of the turds here grown on you.

And bragging about having someone on ignore is a worse forums crime than many others.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Except for Bum the Sad. Everyone ignore that guy.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I went to the gym today.

There were a lot of people at the gym that I don't expect to see in another month or so.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Nidhg00670000 posted:

OTOH, people here seem to be of the opinion that Chrysler & Dodge explode faster than they can make them, and Chrysler almost makes the top third (and the Challenger is the highest ranked "Midsize sporty car").

It's Chrysler and VW. Chrysler owns Dodge.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

mariooncrack posted:

I went to the gym today.

There were a lot of people at the gym that I don't expect to see in another month or so.

Oh god, the smugness.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

meatpimp posted:

Oh god, the smugness.
Not smug, just extremely true.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Because Portland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU