Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rscott
Dec 10, 2009

trouser chili posted:

I found and bought a unicorn last night. Pictures up soon. Incidentally, anyone know where the wagon thread went? I can't find it.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3511341&pagenumber=32&perpage=40 page 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Thanks, mobile browsing is convenient but a pain for certain things.

Here's my first shot.

It's a 1993 Accord Wagon (obviously), it's got 135,000 miles no rust at all and a manual transmission. I've only heard manual wagons exist, never seen one. And it's not a swap unless they swapped the correct dash for a manual transmission in as well.

Edit: just failed inspection. Brake light out, low brake fluid, exhaust leak. No biggies.

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jan 31, 2015

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Extra posted:

Why on earth would you sell something that small on Craigslist? Craigslist is a website dedicated to people who do not equate time and labor to money.

e: Oh and thieves and other people with illegal sources of income.

Cause as bad as it is, it's better than eBay.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

trouser chili posted:

Here's my first shot.

It's a 1993 Accord Wagon (obviously), it's got 135,000 miles no rust at all and a manual transmission. I've only heard manual wagons exist, never seen one. And it's not a swap unless they swapped the correct dash for a manual transmission in as well.

Edit: just failed inspection. Brake light out, low brake fluid, exhaust leak. No biggies.

Oh wow. Nice find, and very clean looking to boot! Rust has long taken any of those locally.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Wally Joyner posted:

Oh wow. Nice find, and very clean looking to boot! Rust has long taken any of those locally.

Rust usually eats em up round here as well, imagine my surprise finding that in STL area. This car apparently lived in Florida up until October last year. It's super clean, paid $2,500. I think I can find the right buyer to sell for $4,000.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

That generation Accord was so classy. They were understated and simple, where the Camry of the same vintage was a little bulbous.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
Was that a craigslist find, or just word-of-mouth? If you're not keeping it, it'll definitely be an easy profit.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

angryhampster posted:

That generation Accord was so classy. They were understated and simple, where the Camry of the same vintage was a little bulbous.

And the Camry of that vintage was ponderous and dull, by contrast the Accord was nimble, quick, and eager. I really love CB7 Accords, they're the best Accord.

Wally Joyner posted:

Was that a craigslist find, or just word-of-mouth? If you're not keeping it, it'll definitely be an easy profit.

Craigslist in Columbia, MO. Had to drive two hours to pick up. Towed it behind a 1980 Scout II diesel on uhaul dolly. Was a fun time. It had been posted just couple of hours when I called, apparently I was first. Picked it up not 6 hours later and guy had half a dozen other calls in between.

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 31, 2015

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Hnggg I loved my CB7 Accord so much, even though it was a MASSIVE turd. But it had an immaculate maroon interior that was classy as hell. gently caress doing the front rotors though. Anyway, having a wagon would be so much more awesome.

Also, some of you nerds should check out Besiege on Steam, I bought it for $6 last night. It's a neat little physics game where you have to design and build your own siege-engines from scratch to kill mans and blow up houses and castles. There are some levels with different objectives other than killing mans, requiring siege engines with different purposes. It can be pretty difficult, and the camera sucks, but I've been playing it all morning.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Cat Terrist posted:

Newman out, QLD LNP almost certainly can not form govt in any way....... Abbott cant last the week because the LNP can not allow a anti Abbott backlash happen in NSW

I mean... how the gently caress did the opposition in QLD, reduced to a party you could fit in a Ford Falcon with room to spare actually win? I know Newman is a hated shithead but Abbott HAS to be the big reason

I take it that this is semi related to that video I posted earlier about the coal mining?

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
So my plan was to find a cb7 coupe or sedan with manual transmission to turn into rallyx car/chump racer and maybe even stage rally car to cut my racing teeth on, but I found this wagon instead and was like; I have to own this, it's too good. Too bad they're so much heavier, and this one is too nice/rare to race. Might not stop me though, we'll see. I might make it my daily driver and sell the TDI. I really like the Sportwagen, but I don't like the payments.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

T-Square posted:

Also, some of you nerds should check out Besiege on Steam, I bought it for $6 last night. It's a neat little physics game where you have to design and build your own siege-engines from scratch to kill mans and blow up houses and castles. There are some levels with different objectives other than killing mans, requiring siege engines with different purposes. It can be pretty difficult, and the camera sucks, but I've been playing it all morning.

fine make my wife hate me even more

e:

trouser chili posted:

So my plan was to find a cb7 coupe or sedan with manual transmission to turn into rallyx car/chump racer and maybe even stage rally car to cut my racing teeth on, but I found this wagon instead and was like; I have to own this, it's too good. Too bad they're so much heavier, and this one is too nice/rare to race. Might not stop me though, we'll see. I might make it my daily driver and sell the TDI. I really like the Sportwagen, but I don't like the payments.

Holy poo poo please do it. I LOVE CB7 accords hunkered down for racing. Please put some racing wheels and mudflaps on it

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
One of my friends owned two CB7 Accords in high school, a manual sedan and an auto coupe, and they were both great cars. I prefer the previous gen (sucker for flip-ups) but the CB7 is a fantastic car. Always wanted a wagon one myself, because wagons are the best.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
I made a thing yesterday

More pictures later when the guy paints it.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
Guess who just got home from the Hospital. this time it wasent even AMA. i feel like poo poo, but my breathing is better and i know it will pass. Decided i needed a calmer hobby while i recover, so i figured i should get into photography. Hit the Norwegian version of craigslist hard and had my brother do a detour on the way to pick me up. so i have so much stuff i have no idea what is.

oh, and my neighbour had backed into the G500 in the garage. but luckily he had only hit the rim dead on with a corner. Since i have it on steelies i could not give a poo poo. But i giggled when i saw his crunched in prius :D

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I saw a mint Accord wagon of that generation when I was in Victoria; it's amazing how seeing minty daily drivers makes me happier than a well restored sports car.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I saw a mint Accord wagon of that generation when I was in Victoria; it's amazing how seeing minty daily drivers makes me happier than a well restored sports car.

Same.

There's a house near my job that had a flawless condition '93 Accord in that pretty plum purple they came in. No rust, interior looked brand new. It made me smile whenever I saw it. Then one day it was gone and in its place was a boring rear end CPO '12 Civic :(

BigHouseOfBooty
Nov 13, 2012

trouser chili posted:

Here's my first shot.

I had probably the roughest cb7 accord ever when I was 18. It was a 1992 exr coupe in white. I paid $450 for it. Most of the issues:
- brakes were almost non existent, i had to stomp on the pedal for them to work
- it had 392000 km and the engine howled (best way i can describe it) im not sure what was wrong with it, it still pulled nice and smooth just sounded awful at idle and load.
- automatic transmission lurched into every single gear, it didn't slip just banged into all the gears.
- all engine mounts were shot so on winter days the whole car shook
- I had to have a thermos of hot water at hand to de ice the door locks in the winter

even though it has all these issues it still started up every time, got me to work everyday. Everything worked on it including the sunroof and the really neat feature where the rad fans would turn on after shutdown to cool the engine (1990-1993 accords only I believe)I can honestly say that it was my favorite vehicle I have owned, I truly wish I had bought a better example as I would still be driving it today.

:patriot:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

BigHouseOfBooty posted:

- automatic transmission lurched into every single gear, it didn't slip just banged into all the gears.
really neat feature where the rad fans would turn on after shutdown to cool the engine (1990-1993 accords only I believe)I can honestly say that it was my favorite vehicle I have owned, I truly wish I had bought a better example as I would still be driving it today.

The fans shouldn't have been doing that unless it was running hot, unless that was something that only Canadian CB7s did.

Harsh shifts are a "feature" of Honda automatics of that vintage.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

T-Square posted:

If you like that, you'll love Medieval Engineers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpS5XGjb3jg

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Phone posted:

I take it that this is semi related to that video I posted earlier about the coal mining?

Its 100% releated. The nong in charge of the state got booted

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

From reading, and I realize it's hard to directly compare between countries, but the LNP seems to be roughly analogous to the Republican party in the US (specifically the part where they're willing to sacrifice fragile and irreplaceable ecosystems for minor, questionable gains in fossil fuel production). That about right?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

trouser chili posted:

I would drive that all day long to avoid payments. How much better is the TDI than the Accord really? Probably not whatever-your-monthly-payment is better I would assume. Keep the Accord and drive the poo poo out of it, probably gets better mileage too :v:

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

leica posted:

I would drive that all day long to avoid payments. How much better is the TDI than the Accord really? Probably not whatever-your-monthly-payment is better I would assume. Keep the Accord and drive the poo poo out of it, probably gets better mileage too :v:

Well, a CB7 wagon should pull 24-30mpg. My last CB7 was an auto sedan and it never cracked 30mpg, but I can buy a whole lot of gas for my current car payment. The TDI is averaging 42mpg for me. Wife told me today that she likes the TDI and would rather me not make the CB7 wagon my primary car. So I guess a racer it will become, unless someone buys it out from me.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Holy gently caress MD 20/20 is gross as poo poo.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Yes, but have you tried MD 20/20 Blue Raspberry Bling Bling Edition? You get a plastic gold chain with your nasty gross loving awful bumwine.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Holy gently caress MD 20/20 is gross as poo poo.

Get it colder, drink it faster.

Also, these threads have been weird watching you descend lower and lower down the booze ladder.

That said, this Stone Delicious IPA is living up to its name.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

That's what flavor I got. The gas station I was buying dutches at doesn't sell liquor and I wasn't in the mood for beer so I got this.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Drinking + having extra cash this month = terrible decisions.

Also I now own a JD2 Model 32 bender. gently caress.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Well at least you get to name it Rodriguez.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
So I emptied out the upper cabinet of my tool chest because I bought a new rolling chest and when I went to move it I heard something rolling around inside that wasn't in the drawers.

I suddenly remembered partially tipping it on it's side when I moved ~7 years ago and realized that after the rush of the move I never went back and retrieved all of the sockets out that had fallen out of the drawers into the chest.

After buying one of those grabby things with a light built in (which is seriously loving awesome: http://www.popularmechanics.com/cm/popularmechanics/images/cP/bike-dads-07-0613-lgn.jpg) I pulled out 19 sockets! Fuckin' A!

BigHouseOfBooty
Nov 13, 2012

some texas redneck posted:

The fans shouldn't have been doing that unless it was running hot, unless that was something that only Canadian CB7s did.

Harsh shifts are a "feature" of Honda automatics of that vintage.

oh yeah they would only turn on if I just got off the highway. Its in the owners manual im not nuts :shobon:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Since it's been raining all day/night (and a little chilly out), I've been asked to step inside several times during deliveries.

My last one asked me to step in as well. apologized that he had to tip me in coins, his wallet was at work, pulls out a massive ziplock bag full of nickles and pennies. I tell him not to worry about it, my bank has a coin counter that I use a few times a month.

Then I comment "that's a pretty sweet bong"

:2bong: Oh poo poo, I forgot that was out... uh.. you smoke?
:v: Of course
:2bong: Wanna rip?
:v: Man.. I'd love to, but my boss will poo poo herself if I walk in smelling like weed, appreciate the offer though!
:2bong: Wanna take a nug with you?
:v: .....

I wound up passing; I have enough at the moment, and the bag of coins wound up being $7. Kinda wishing I didn't pass up the nug though.

The other closing driver? He had the exact same thing happen on his last delivery, except without the bag full of coins.

That was the 3rd time I've been offered weed during deliveries today alone.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I delivered pizza in a college town and I got offered weed basically every night. Looking back, I think that was my favorite job. Not because of the weed, more the lack of stress and cool people I worked with.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I deliver in upper middle class to paycheck rich suburbs, so the weed offers catch me off guard. Especially 3 times in 1 day, I've never had that happen before.

I've also been offered shots of liquor, beer, crack (serious), and invited to a 3 way, among many other things over the years, though I've worked everything from ghetto to rich as poo poo areas.

There's only one manager that mildly annoys me, and it's more because she's only concerned with dishes and nothing else. Even the owner is pretty chill, and the place pays reasonably well for a pizza place.

Oh yeah. We had a lovely prank caller tonight. Some kid calls and demands we deliver ice cream and a meaty pizza. Seriously?

Our point of sale automatically links incoming calls to customer accounts if you tap the caller ID button, then tap what line you're currently on. So not only did I have their phone #, I had their full address and order history (including tip history) on the screen before I'd even finished the phone greeting. I mentioned "so ice cream to <blah blah address>, right?"

Pretty sure I heard the kid's pants explode with poo poo before they slammed the phone down. I was very tempted to knock on their door, since my next delivery was to that neighborhood (2 streets away), but didn't think confronting parents about their "can do no harm" shithead would do any good.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Feb 1, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Terrible Robot posted:

One of my friends owned two CB7 Accords in high school, a manual sedan and an auto coupe, and they were both great cars. I prefer the previous gen (sucker for flip-ups) but the CB7 is a fantastic car. Always wanted a wagon one myself, because wagons are the best.

Dunno how I missed this, but...

You don't want an 86-89 unless it's EFI, and even then it's a nightmare of vacuum lines. I owned two 88's - a DX and an LXi (LXi being today's EX - back then, it was an LX with fuel injection and a sunroof - which evolved into the higher end engine + LX package + sunroof from 90-97; only difference between 98-02 LX and EX was the sunroof and ABS, IIRC). The flip up lights have plastic grommets that are NLA, and tend to fray the wires over the years. The LXi would pop headlight fuses if you looked at it funny. The LXi I had also had unknown miles - the previous owner told me he'd replaced the windshield. Didn't bother mentioning he'd replaced the cluster too - I bought it with 130k. A few years later, I ran a Carfax on it (when Carfax came out) and found out it'd been inspected 5 years prior to my purchase with almost 200k, in MN. Explained the structural carpet, drat thing still ran good though, and made multiple 600+ mile road trips while I had it. The only times it broke down was when the timing belt broke (no damage) and when the alternator crapped during one of the 600 mile road trips (it would still charge if I kept it above 4k for awhile, so I just stayed in 4th; alternator crapped entirely when I was about 30 minutes from my dad's, but still made it to his house).

The DX's carb was a serious nightmare to even think about. The EX's EFI was early Honda multiport and pretty reliable, though I'd have an occasional hard start (30+ seconds of cranking to get it to start). It'd also occasionally start bucking really bad, then the CEL would pop on and it'd drive fine for the rest of the trip. Even back then (late 90s) nobody had the equipment to talk to the ECU.

They had an SE-i for 89 (also 85) - it was an LX-i with a Bose stereo and leather.

The CB7 has always been my favorite "modern" Accord (I like the mid 80s as well).

TC, that actually looks like it may be a Canadian Accord - they weren't ever sold in the states with daytime running lights, but Canada has required them since at least the late 80s. That either has DRLs, or really dim high beams and burnt out front corner lamps. The CDM models also differed a little in trim levels - I see black side moldings, don't see a sunroof, but I see EX wheels and what looks to be non-power seatbelts? I missed the year model, but 93 was the only year of that body without power seatbelts sold in the US, if I remember right.

trouser chili posted:

Well, a CB7 wagon should pull 24-30mpg. My last CB7 was an auto sedan and it never cracked 30mpg

My last accord was an 01 5 speed LX sedan, which weighs about what that wagon does (if not a bit more), with a slightly larger engine (F23 vs F22). It would do 33-35 mpg highway with the a/c on all day long, even though it had pretty short gearing for what it was.

City was pretty crappy, around 20-22 or so.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Feb 1, 2015

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

They had an SE-i for 89 (also 85) - it was an LX-i with a Bose stereo and leather.

My best friend had an SEi with a stick, that's what got me into liking the old flip-up Accords to begin with. The SEi also got bronze tint windows from the factory and some special paint codes, as well as special wheels. They were really nice cars, I'd love to find another SEi to DD one day, but the leather has disintegrated in all of them and the bronze windows are impossible to replace if they are broken. :(

GTA 4 has the Accord SEi (the Hakumai), and they really did a good job getting the details right. Someone on the car design team must have owned one and really loved it. I always keep one in a garage somewhere to cruise around in :unsmith:

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Feb 1, 2015

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
So I've been mistakenly calling the new-to-me Accord a cb7, but I've just learned that 1990-1993 Accord wagons are technically cb9, they got their own chassis designation. Yay mostly useless information.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Yesterday, I was working out in the garage and thought I got a few whiffs of natural gas, so I called the energy company.

Guy shows up, checks the meter and can't find anything leaking. I had him check the furnace (in garage) and he found that the burner unit is toast so it wasn't combusting properly.

Says it's not safe, caps the gas line and here we are, freezing our asses off now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

The DX's carb was a serious nightmare to even think about. The EX's EFI was early Honda multiport and pretty reliable, though I'd have an occasional hard start (30+ seconds of cranking to get it to start). It'd also occasionally start bucking really bad, then the CEL would pop on and it'd drive fine for the rest of the trip. Even back then (late 90s) nobody had the equipment to talk to the ECU.

I had two preludes, 86 EFI, and 89EFi, also had a 88 carb'd accord.

the ECU had 4 lights on it and via that you figured out what the codes were.

the 86 you popped out the left rear ash tray and the ecu was under it hahaha

• Locked thread