Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Cage posted:

Not smug, just extremely true.

True or not, it doesn't give those that go all year 'round some kind of moral high ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

meatpimp posted:

True or not, it doesn't give those that go all year 'round some kind of moral high ground.
I dunno, it kind of does. Im sure their resolutions weren't just "go to the gym for a month".

Thats not what marioon was saying though. Its just humourous how it happens every year.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

IOwnCalculus posted:

"Does a bathroom"?
It's much like having a push.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Trivia time! You are on a 4 lane highway. There is a semi with a trailer in the left lane, an open right lane, and the road ahead is straight. The semi has remained in the left lane for the past couple of miles, and is showing no signs of merging into the right lane. You have a clear shot to pass him, however, like the good driver you are, you know how unwise it is to pass on the right, especially in the case of a tractor trailer. What do you do? Bonus points for most creative and well written answer.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Use the police light simulator app on your phone against the windscreen and pull him over. When he slows flick the bird and gently caress off!

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
If I think he is waiting to move right because there is still traffic in that lane that he can't judge the distance of very well, I'll leave him be, and usually get passed by several cars on the right before the truck can move over. However, if they're just tooling along in the left lane with nothing around, and have been for some time? Absolutely hammer down and undertake.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
TL:DR, already passed them.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

So I bought a scratch ticket on a whim when I was out buying gas. I just won five grand.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
CRAIGSLIST TIME

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I was flipping through the channels and if you're bored, that horrible Undercover Boss show is going behind the scenes of Maaco. The CEO is absolutely horrified that they're cutting corners sometimes!

:ohdear:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

MrChips posted:

So I bought a scratch ticket on a whim when I was out buying gas. I just won five grand.

:toot:

Residency Evil posted:

I was flipping through the channels and if you're bored, that horrible Undercover Boss show is going behind the scenes of Maaco. The CEO is absolutely horrified that they're cutting corners sometimes!

How long after airing are they available on the CBS site?

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

KozmoNaut posted:

Unfortunately for my parents, 23 of their 25 radiators use return valve thermostats, and there are apparently no electronic return valve thermostats on the market. So they'll have to retrofit all of them with conventional valves. But when you're looking at saving ~10% on a $8000/year heating bill, it's probably a good idea anyway.

How big is their house to have 25 radiators! I've got 6 and I hate paying for them!...

How are the valves you have bought controlled? Is there a gateway device that sits on your internet to make the phone app work?

I want to add my radiators and heating into my home automation setup but I h
aven't yet found any affordable valves that work on 433mhz with the transmitter/receiver I have.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Residency Evil posted:

Haha
oh wait, you're serious.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Went to Cracker Barrel for dinner for the first time in a long time tonight cause I got a giftcard. The lady at the table next to us put mustard on her fries. MUSTARD :stonk:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

ExplodingSims posted:

Went to Cracker Barrel for dinner for the first time in a long time tonight cause I got a giftcard. The lady at the table next to us put mustard on her fries. MUSTARD :stonk:

Mustard is amazing suck a mustard covered dick.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Geirskogul posted:

Mustard is amazing suck a mustard covered dick.

Is that an invitation? :heysexy:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Mustard goes on hot dogs, ketchup goes on fries. Not the other way around.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

T1g4h posted:

Trivia time! You are on a 4 lane highway. There is a semi with a trailer in the left lane, an open right lane, and the road ahead is straight. The semi has remained in the left lane for the past couple of miles, and is showing no signs of merging into the right lane. You have a clear shot to pass him, however, like the good driver you are, you know how unwise it is to pass on the right, especially in the case of a tractor trailer. What do you do? Bonus points for most creative and well written answer.

If it's clear, just accelerate past him in the right lane. Just don't put around in his blind spots or by his tandems and you probably won't die like a moron.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I used to put mayo on my fries before I stopped eating both.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Rhyno posted:

I used to put mayo on my fries before I stopped eating both.
Pink sauce, man. Of course I only learned about it from the internet, but ketchup+mayo. Its probably a southern/midwestern thing because its really a disgusting creation but its pretty good when you add fries.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
ketchup in it's modern form is way too sweet and is loving gross as a result

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I love this gif.

New HD dashcam, new 9 inch HD lights on order for the winter challenge.

Codriver on lock for stage rally.

Patch panels for the race car procured.

poo poo dick sanctioning body's future questionable? Badass old school rally possibly coming back?

2015 gonna be some good poo poo.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So does anyone here know how to make a non-HDCP compliant tv compliant? I just got a giant old 50" Nakamichi plasma for free and of course it's non compliant so the DVI input isn't working with the cable box or PS3.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

T1g4h posted:

Depends on state law, because in MA, VT, CT, NH, and I believe ME, undertaking is legal under most circumstances. Didn't check any other states but I bet it is legal elsewhere as well.

Safety wise? Either hang out far back and flick your high beams till they move over, or pass like the wind, gently caress it.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Found a $550 headlight for $150 shipped ot my door.

http://imgur.com/a/I5Amq

quasi-moto can see!

Moved 1700lb of tile with the trailer. Now to remodel the bathrooms. :v:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

leica posted:

So does anyone here know how to make a non-HDCP compliant tv compliant? I just got a giant old 50" Nakamichi plasma for free and of course it's non compliant so the DVI input isn't working with the cable box or PS3.

An hdmi splitter, or one of those rca audio extractors, in line.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

MOPAR question:

Today I drove this:

The chump salesperson had the fricking thing set to a Sirius XM hillbilly radio station - so I did the sensible thing and went fumbling for the "POWER" or "OFF" button for the radio. The guy tells me that there is no such thing - just a "Mute" button, which is so hilariously stupid I just assumed he was wrong and never asked that question again. So I pushed Mute, and after stopping in this little parking lot to look the car over, check out the trunk, (and take this photo), I started the car again - and the hillbilly poo poo was playing again. Salesperson said that you would need to just hit "Mute" every time you started the car.

Is this true? Is there really no way to actually turn the radio **OFF**? Or do you just turn the volume all the way down, or set it to an AUX input with nothing connected if you just want silence?

edit: The stereo was a UConnect 8.4 with Navigation

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

MrChips posted:

Normally I'm not a gambler because it feels like paying extra taxes, but gently caress, good on you for winning!

I started doing my taxes already today to get a ballpark of how much I'm getting back :)

It's kind of like the lottery in that it's taxes I pay/paid, but different because there is less randomness about when I get the cash back ;)

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

kastein posted:

How many miles on it? Want to bet whether anyone has changed the plugs on the back, even if they've been changed on the front?

135k. Holy poo poo, what an ordeal. Took about 6 hours (in ~freezing temp) and 3 runs for parts/tools. So within the first 15 minutes, we pull the MAF and clean it, and that goes fine. Then I pull the crankcase vent hose from the intake, and it just snaps right off. Ok, that sucks. Also, its full of oil, and so is the intake. What the gently caress. Get the intake elbow (between airbox and throttle body) about half out, and realize there is a huge crack underneath it. Its literally about split in half. OK, well, that might have solved some of our vacuum leak issues...

So at this point I am a little on tilt, because I am super worried about everything I touch falling apart like brittle skeletons in an Indiana Jones movie. But gently caress it, lets plow through. After disconnecting a shitload of stuff, get the manifold off. Swap the front coils to the back while changing the plugs, so we can make sure whichever one that was throwing a code should theoretically throw a code on a new cylinder now, and that cylinder is one of the front 3 that are easy to get.

Clean his gross rear end throttle body (more oil and carbon build up), put in new intake manifold gaskets, replace the PCV valve (gummed up with oil),and get the manifold back on the car. Start buttoning everything back up so we can go to the parts store, and realize we snapped off the coolant line nipple on this weird plastic T-connector under the EGR. Fought the lovely hoses and got it out.

So casualties total was only 3 parts, but its frustrating that we had to spend so long on it, and we werent able to get the parts tonight. Hitting yards/dealer/etc tomorrow. Goal is to get this thing running again by Tomorrow afternoon, worse case scenario we can just replace the T-shaped piece (we managed to order that with delivery tomorrow at a shop) and then tape up the intake tubing and jbweld the stupid crankcase hose back together til we get the parts we need. It has to be running by Monday so my friend can get to work.

TLDR: A 12 year old Michigan car exploded to dust in my hands

side note: What the gently caress does oil in the crankcase vent hose/intake/etc mean? PCV valve jammed shut?

PaintVagrant fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jan 3, 2015

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
My grandpa has a ram with that thing and I drove to Vancouver and back with him, and use it sometimes when I'm up visiting. I feel like there's an off button? If you'd asked last week I would be able to go out and check.

The thing that annoys me is listening to music over Bluetooth. You have to wait for the phone to connect and then switch inputs every time. What makes it worse is defaults back to the radio and the volume is different. So you get back in the car and it's super loud radio.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

jamal posted:

bluetooth

Yeah I don't understand why most Bluetooth implementations suck so much; it's like working with printers - how do printers still suck so loving much in 2015

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Geirskogul posted:

An hdmi splitter, or one of those rca audio extractors, in line.

Already have a (sony) splitter and it still is not working :confused:

Any particular splitters that will strip HDCP bullshit?

[edit] Wait, DVi doesn't support sound does it? gently caress this seems like more trouble than it's worth.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jan 3, 2015

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I'm trying to learn Adobe Illustrator for a job and ugggggggggggggh it is taking me forever. A friend of mine who's a graphic designer says that a graphic design degree is basically learning to use this poo poo, nothing else.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I've tried learning it before and while I've gotten a decent handle on photoshop I had an easier time teaching myself programming languages than learning illustrator

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

sarcastx posted:

Yeah I don't understand why most Bluetooth implementations suck so much;

The protocol has some stupid poo poo designed into it, and to be "compliant" with the specification, the implementation needs to do certain things which are broken by design. The hardware ends up being super cheap, and that's the only thing that matters on the bottom line. Software, support, and user experience never factor into a BOM. You can polish a turd, but its still a turd.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

jamal posted:

The thing that annoys me is listening to music over Bluetooth. You have to wait for the phone to connect and then switch inputs every time. What makes it worse is defaults back to the radio and the volume is different. So you get back in the car and it's super loud radio.

This is the number 1 thing that pisses me off about my JSW. 90% of the time I want to stream music from my phone, but you have to wait a couple minutes before the phone connects and decides that it will actually play music. Phone says its playing, radio says its paused. Push play on the radio, music plays for ~2 seconds then stops. Have to take out my phone, push pause, wait a couple seconds then push play on the radio and it works. Or just wait ~5 minutes after the bluetooth connects, then switch to it on the radio and it works.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

thegasman2000 posted:

Use the police light simulator app on your phone against the windscreen and pull him over. When he slows flick the bird and gently caress off!

This is definitely the best answer, however...

InitialDave posted:

TL:DR, already passed them.

This is the most true to life in my case :v:

MrChips posted:

And this is just loving awesome. Nice!

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
My brother has a truck from BC while living in Ontario. He needs to get some sort of out of province inspection done to make it actually legal to drive.
Any ontario guys have a list of what he needs to check? I had a copy of the form for BC, and going through it would point out all the line item things that need to be fixed.

Also any recommendations for a shop in Kingston?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

blk posted:

I'm trying to learn Adobe Illustrator for a job and ugggggggggggggh it is taking me forever. A friend of mine who's a graphic designer says that a graphic design degree is basically learning to use this poo poo, nothing else.

I used to be an Adobe certified instructor in that and Photoshop. I can pretty much answer any questions you have about it if you wanna hit me up.

I did our wedding invites in Illustrator :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

blk posted:

Illustrator is pretty intuitive once you get the hang of it. Granted, the last time I used it was 5 or so years ago and CS3 onward seemed like it was making poo poo more needlessly complicated just because it could.

• Locked thread