Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Wasn't there an e30 in the background with some poo poo strapped to the back wheels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I am watching battleship and it is loving awesome:iia:

I don't care how bad my taste in films is.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Geirskogul posted:

My favorite bad movie. First thing I watched out of BCT and AIT (BCT 12 weeks, AIT 44 weeks, weren't allowed any media during either). I may be biased. It's so bad.

Hang on while I pull a handbrake turn in this loving 45000t battleship :black101::black101::black101::black101::black101:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

The jag. When it dies you can break it for £1500 easy, the Saab is worth £400 dead or alive.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

thegasman2000 posted:

Got that Mazda for £730 with 12 months mot. Picking it up may ale a couple days but yay a new car... Ish... To me...

I hope for the best for you but I'm fascinated to find out why it's so cheap.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

InitialDave posted:

It's a pretty anonymous diesel estate car that's 11 years old. It doesn't strike me as "oh, poo poo, what kind of impending doom makes it so cheap?" territory, just slightly below what you might have to pay because they want to sell it quickly.

You're likely right, it's nothing special and should make a good dd.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

So I was browsing autotrader and find this nearby:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201412279834552

:catstare: I mean, how bad could it be? :catstare:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Are they really that bad? Oh well, makes me feel better about not being able to get another car right now.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

So a workmate is building a kit cobra, slowly, with jag running gear. I asked him about the engine and he told me he's got "a proper American V8, a big one"

It's a 302, which I believe is a Windsor? He's saving up for a stroker kit ($1100 from the states) then after that, some unspecified amount for "new heads" so the only piece he's saving will basically be the sump and block.

How can I convince him this is a ludicrous waste of money? It is isn't it? Can anyone recommend either how he can get a better v8 cheaper or some better engines he could put in from common European vehicles?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

kastein posted:

Aren't 302s known for breaking in half down the lifter valley at like 350 horse? Tell him to get a GM gen3 V8 and move on with his life.

The scrapyards of the British Midlands aren't teeming with SBCs, however 4.6l range rover and bmw 540 units are available everywhere.

InitialDave posted:

What's he intending to spend total on the engine? Because he will almost certainly be better off with a crate engine.

If he's really married to the American V8 this is an obvious choice, LS4s crate are about £4k And turnkey.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Shut up nerds.

The last time i built a pc was 15 years ago, i don't remember any of the specs. It'd be nice to have a better speed machine to play KSP but then I'd spend too long on that.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'm taking notes on all this thanks, I'll have a chat and see what his plans are w/regards gearbox. A complete running range rover costs less than the stroker kit he wants, but building a kit car never involves making a logical cost/benefit analysis.

I wonder if he knows the original cobras had the 289 though.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Why would you choose to pay £7k for that for the engine when you can get a complete working engine/ecu for £500 out of a RR?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I've been banned from using the trainer 88H88 gave me (thanks fella) until I put a slick tyre on it, apparently it sounds like a chainsaw when I run it up.

So now I've got to figure out tyre and tube sizes to put a skinny slick on a mtb 26"wheel. It's a skinny wheel with a 2.6" tyre right now, but it looks like I can get a 1.25" tyre on it safely.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

InitialDave posted:

You can get 1.95" city tyres that may be a good compromise. Or you can get something like the hardpack/street tyres that DMR do in 2.2", something like that.

Looks like my local decathlon has a zaffiro turbo trainer tyre in 26x1.1 for £15, perfect.

E: Thanks, but thinner is quieter if I understand right, and pickup local tomorrow beats delivery later.

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 13, 2015

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Can one of you nerds point me towards the car chat thread?

(Kidding)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Well thank goodness for that.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Some people think I'm strange because I don't have a TV or a landline phone. Why bother? I can watch anything I want online, and for years I've just used my mobile anyway.

I'm convinced you're the alternate universe single me, except you're apparently tall.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

freelop posted:

I wish I could do that but Virgin doesn't let you have broadband without a landline. It ended up being cheaper to get that and a basic TV package.

For a long while the TV box was left unplugged because live TV is utter shite.

I have virgin without a landline, in fact tomorrow I'm canceling the tv/tivo part so I'll just have fibre. There are cheaper ways as you say but I'm not starting a new contract while I'm trying to sell a house.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mat_Drinks posted:

as they walk down the aisle together to a celebratory revving of loud engines. *sniff* AI love is so beautiful *sniff*

Bridal march on twin turbo Bridgeport rotaries :black101:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I think he means the aussie benefits

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Just to sway you, snapchat is the only post-android-2.1 app that managed to both dump me to desktop without an error message, then later just hard reset my phone without any warning.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Started the bmw up at work today and the exhaust is hammering off the underbody like a giant vibrator, it wasn't this morning so what gives? gently caress it until it either falls off or the weather gets nicer.

Also, I love my wife dearly and she is a great cook, but she cannot cook a steak. I'm going to cook the next one myself.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

We started doing the grill and bake method lately. It works amazing.

Do you have a link or quick explanation?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

We were discussing electric cars at work today and my boss flat out refused to believe the tesla prices and specs until I showed him the website, where I found out the specs are better than I thought, There's a 690bhp awd version :catstare:

As a comparison he specced up an m5, holy poo poo we hit £100k easily, I had no idea they were that expensive.

Neither of us are in the market for either but the car configurator game can be depressing and fun at the same time.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

goatse guy posted:

It's someone else so stop being a bunch of weirdos, thanks.

NEVAH! :byodood:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

You are all terrible people, shut up.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Fo3 posted:

Good news from me once. Fuel pump doesn't seem dead on my ute after running out of fuel last week.
I went as far as removing canopy, liner, and unbolting the tray (that was fun as bolts pretty seized and thought they would snap any second).

Silly question, could you add an access hatch with a hole saw?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Powershift posted:

Have i got the solution to all your problems!

:stare: where do I throw my money?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Surely we invented lager, doesn't that make up for everything?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

jammyozzy posted:

I applied for babies' first credit card a few months ago just to build my credit rating and got approved for a £6.5k limit. :catstare:

The only "loan" I've ever had is a student loan, is that normal for a credit card? That's more then I've ever had in my current account at one time.

I run £100-£500 through my card every month and don't carry a balance for long, earn over median wage and have a £4k limit. My wife who hasn't had a job in 6-7 years and puts under £30 a month on hers has a limit over £18k. Shits nonsense, I tell her every now and then to have it reduced to £1k.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

bolind posted:

Just booked a test ride in a Tesla S! Three weeks out, here's to hoping that there's no snow or ice so I can push it a bit.

My dream car right here, until they release a wagon. Unlikely I'll ever afford one but tell us how it goes & how the interior hits you.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

goatse guy posted:

No worries. Motronic did give me some helpful advice to get rid of the car if it comes down to that, but the rest of the advice either assumed that I was a criminal or completely retarded.

To be fair some of it assumed you're criminally retarded.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I was just trying to make a funny word joke guys :negative:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

goatse guy posted:

Some of my e/n posts about my personal life might point to that, but I assure you all that I am extremely competent at my job, and grasp a lot of complicated concepts inside and outside my industry. I'm just super loving bad at following advice and logic sometimes.

Okay, I'm never making a joke again. I wasn't saying you're actually dumb. You don't come across as dumb and I'm sure everyone else here has failed to follow what they knew was good advice at some time or another.

I'm going to go and watch the final episode of BSG and stroke my cat as I'm obviously not capable of internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Do you like BSG so far? Then don't watch the final ep.

InitialDave posted:

:ohdear:

Err, yeah. I mean, it has an ending, but...

gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress

WELL DAMNIT

• Locked thread