Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I went to the gym today.

There were a lot of people at the gym that I don't expect to see in another month or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Going to repost this again in case someone missed it.

I've got two oneplus one invites that expire in two days if anyone wants them.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Geirskogul posted:

Invites to buy a phone is ridiculous.

Agreed. I've seen people sell them for like $15+ so I figured I'd try to help someone out here.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
At least for me, the perfect combination is an Apple tablet and an Android phone. I prefer the Android phone because I can customize it. There's small things about iOS that bother me, mostly the keyboard. I really wish Swiftkey didn't suck so much for iOS. I have a Nexus 7 2012 that I have had for two years and I love it. Lollipop runs like rear end on it though. Comparatively, I inherited a iPad 3 that still runs pretty well. I should mention that I don't do anything heavy with a tablet, mostly listen to podcasts and watch Netflix. Last time I tried, my Nexus 7 wasn't supported for Prime Instant Video but I know it works for iPad.

At this point, I don't think iOS or Android suck anymore. It's all about personal preference.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

dissss posted:

Are you sure it's a 3? We have a bunch of iPads at work and aside from the first gen (which didn't have enough RAM) the 3 is by far the worst one for performance now - so much so that they're all in a pile in the store room.

iPads 2s and 4s on the other hand still perform fine

Pretty sure. I bought it for my dad a few years back because I couldn't afford an iPad 4 at the time.

Edit: To be fair, I used it to browse the forums and surf Netflix, not much else.

ssjonizuka posted:

Nailed it. I have a recent Galaxy tab pro, and it's best described as meh for anything past the forums. Though, to be fair, the ios8 WebKit issue with html5 is, IMO, inexcusable.

In my limited experience I've found that Android tablets don't age all that well.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

some texas redneck posted:

The Dude is the loving king of crafty hiding spots. There's been several times now where we thought he'd gotten out, only to find him laying, say, on the dining room table behind a fake plant centerpiece, or curled up in a chair in the dining room (we never use that room), or on a table behind a lamp, under a couch, or in the master bedroom closet behind clothes... or between the side of the kitchen refrigerator and wall. :psyduck: He's only gotten out once, and I'd like to keep it that way.

He's also super quiet, and pretty much only vocalizes if his food bowl is empty.

We're supposed to get snow on Thursday. :woop:

Better go buy all of the bread and milk that you can. :smug:

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Going to be a fun commute in today.

I really want some pizza now. Thanks, STR.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Finally got around to installed the second SSD I got for my desktop. I have a Linux VM setup now and holy poo poo, I shouldn't be surprised but I installed Xubuntu in like 5 minutes. This is great.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Sperglord Firecock posted:

My regular laptop has died completely, unfortunately.

So I'm dumping 3k on parts for a stupidly over-powered full desktop.

It'll give me something to do while I can't do anything to my car. Too drat cold outside.

Do you have a reason to spend that much on a computer? My guess is no based on how you phrased it. Unless you have a specific reason, $1,000 will get you an awesome machine, throw in another $500 if you need keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc., and save the rest for buying tools or parts to fix your drat car.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Sperglord Firecock posted:

It is, yes, but I want something that will be able to play top tier games for the next 4 years without even a slight hiccup.

Thing's gonna have two GTX980's.

You're wasting your money then. From the PC Building and Parts thread:

quote:

How can I future-proof my system?

You can’t; don’t try.

What it comes down to is cost over time. Eventually you will have to replace your system. You can spend $2500 now and get a system that lasts for five, maybe six years of acceptable performance. But by the end, it will really be struggling. Or you can spend $1200 now, upgrade the video card for $250 after three years, and replace the system after four or five years (carrying over the graphics card). You’re spending less money overall, getting performance just as good, and you can even sell the older parts much more readily than an ancient, obsoleted powerhouse.

Some parts can have incredible staying power these days, but these are parts where performance trends are slowing down in favor of power efficiency. For the most part, this generation’s $200 CPU will last just as long as the $350 one. Don’t worry about it.

The one exception to this might be CPU overclocking, which can give your CPU a performance boost to keep it relevant a year or two longer. See below about that.

Go here for more: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3671266#post436114943

Yeah, your two 980s might play the top tier games in four years but they sure as hell won't play them well.

To give you a better idea, four years ago, you would have bought two 480 GTXs. Two 480s would probably really struggle these days and would be outperformed by my single 7950 now. Back then, I probably would have bought a 460 GTX, so with that in mind and my 7950, I would have spent $500 - $600 instead of ~$1,000 for those dual 480s.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
For a gaming PC, you need like 8 gb of RAM, although 16 wouldn't hurt. The reason I end up using more than 8gb of RAM is because I do some heavy compiling in a VM on my machine.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Noticed an annoying bug with the ROM I'm using. Not sure if it's Android 5.x itself, or just the alpha of SlimLP, but if I charge it overnight on the wireless charger, once it finishes charging, it stops taking power from the wireless charger (this was an issue with the Nexus 4, but the Nexus 5 had it working fine). Android 4.4 would keep the battery topped off the entire time it was on the charger; I wake up to the charger's light showing that it's still charging, but the battery stats show it finished charging hours ago and started draining afterwards. Usually wake up to it around 85%.

The wireless charger doesn't charge as fast as actually plugging it in via USB, but it's drat convenient to just drop my phone on a little pad on the desk when I go to bed, and grab it when I wake up.

Probably your ROM. Are you using the stock kernel that comes with SlimLP or another custom kernel?

Am I the only one here that has a AMD processor? I'm still rocking a 1090T hexcore because for whatever reason I haven't been able to justify a new rig and pull the trigger. Will probably do that after the Broadwell update.

mariooncrack fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jan 11, 2015

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
My friend gifted me another computer. It's a C2D 6400, nothing special. Probably going to finish putting it together tomorrow so I can use it as my new HTPC.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
$50 isn't enough for a gift card? What the hell. I'd be super happy if I got that. What is he eating or the house eating that costs like $50 a day?

By low t, do you mean testosterone?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I was sick last week and I thought I was getting better until I fell asleep last night freezing and woke up with a massive headache and runny nose.

Had I gone to work, I could have gotten a few hours of overtime. :(.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
STR, your seemingly endless knowledge of Hondas always amazes me.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Holdbrooks posted:

She did make me watch mean girls after being in the car for 30 hours...

What did you think of it?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Ferremit posted:

Phenyephedrine is absolute loving garbage. Doesn't do poo poo. Managed to snag myself a Man Flu and it feels like ive had my nose attacked with a belt sander.

Looks like i'll have to go find a chemist tomorrow and do the whole "Your not making meth, are you?" song and dance and give them my ID so I can actually get some pseudoephedrine and stop my GOD drat NOSE RUNNING!

loving Australian drug laws.

This. I think it only worked for me the first or second time I used it but since then it's all been downhill since then.

Cablechat: Just found out that having cable TV lets me stream full episodes of the Simpsons online. Hooray?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
drat rscott, you got off lucky. You went to see a doctor right?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

T1g4h posted:

Oh my god I cannot wait to get my own place again. You'd think my roomies would know better than to run heater + microwave or multiple heaters, having been repeatedly told that it trips the circuits due to the lovely ancient wiring in this house. Nope. I swear they loving do it at least once a week :argh:

I can one up that one.

The heating bill is in the name of of my girlfriend's roommate. It started getting cold in October so my girlfriend asked her roommate to call to get the heat turned on "just in case" in October. Her roommate said she would.

What she actually did was go out to WalMart and buy herself a space heater.

So in November, my girlfriend tried to turn on the heat when it got really cold but couldn't because her rooommate is a dumbass and a cheapskate. During this time, her roommate blew a fuse because she was cooking while using a space heater so they had no heat and no electricity for a few days because they didn't know how to replace a fuse.

mariooncrack fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 21, 2015

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
They just moved into the place in July so I'm guessing they never set up the heat because they didn't need it yet. No idea how the place is heated, probably natural gas, but the place is older.

mariooncrack fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jan 21, 2015

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

kastein posted:

Alright, I posted this on the facebook group too but I'm not sure everyone's on there.

Who is along this route?

I76 eastbound from Lakewood to I80, I80 eastbound to Chicago, I90 eastbound to Massachusetts.

If you're along that route, possible mobile goonmeet roadtrip in the coming month or two.

I am near Cleveland. I am off of 80 but I'm not quite sure when you'd be getting off of 80 and hopping on 90.

May I suggest taking 86 instead? It was a less crowded road and much more beautiful than 90.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Holdbrooks posted:

Sitting here at work eating some bomb rear end vegan chili. Would have never guessed I would be saying that a few months ago, but it is seriously one of my favorite foods now.

Some of the best chili I've ever had was vegan chili from a company party.

I really need to learn how to make chili.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I'm sure making chili isn't that hard but every recipe I look at has this long list of ingredients and it kind of scares me away., as silly as that may sound.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Rice cookers are great. If you buy a nicer one, you can make things like soup.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Phone ringing at 3am is never good.

e: nvm, probably shouldn't leave the rest of that public.

e2: go home weather, not only are you drunk, you're high on some ghetto rear end crack.

It's been cold enough that I've had to wear an actual coat twice this winter. WHERE'S THE GODDAMNED SNOW AND ICE AND poo poo

"Nothing ever good happens after 2 am" is a good rule. I know it's from a TV show but it's spot on.

I would also love if the weather was like that in Ohio. It's about 5 degrees right now, not even that bad.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

E/N, stepdad has flipped his poo poo again - he's shouting at my mother for "turning Sean <me> against him". :confused: I think it's because I changed my Amazon password overnight, he ordered a bunch of poo poo on my account, didn't bother changing the payment method, and overdrafted my checking account by over $300 (before fees, and my credit union doesn't waive overdraft fees, period), and it'll be well over $1000 after fees since I have stuff like a car payment, credit card payments, insurance payments, etc all scheduled to hit today (my direct deposit paycheck is $330). Trying to get ahold of my old roommate to see if I can crash with him for the next week. :sigh:

I'm guessing there's no chance of him paying you back for the poo poo he bought is there? I should know better asking this since this is probably the same guy who got pissed you bought him a gift card for his birthday. Sorry dude.

Data caps are coming, if they're not already here. I've never gotten a warning about going over my data cap but I imagine I've gotten close. I've cut back a lot on my downloading though. The thing that sucks about Internet caps is that we're using more and more data and the caps are getting smaller.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Maker Of Shoes posted:

The cat from last night.

Other than the mostly blind part she's built a bit odd. Cheeks are really far forward and her ears are more towards the top of her head. I also think someone gave her a tendonectomy too. :(

That cat is adorable and I don't even like cats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

keykey posted:

Why didn't he just get his own account to begin with?

STR probably has Amazon Prime and he doesn't.

• Locked thread