Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T-Square
May 14, 2009

So Elite: Dangerous looks like a pretty awesome game. Except that it's also hilariously confusing with all of the different controls and poo poo you can do and also I don't have a joystick :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Square
May 14, 2009

T1g4h posted:

Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS. Relatively cheap, solid, and it's been working great for me. Also, the Flight Sim Megathread can probably recommend you a decent stick setup too if you give them a price range.

Yeah, but I'm still getting hilariously confused by watching videos of Elite: Dangerous and seeing everyone flipping and scrolling through different screens on-board in the middle of dog-fights and how the poo poo are you supposed to keep track of all the systems out there, holy poo poo.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

God drat it. I've been resisting the urge to buy Assetto Corsa, and get into iRacing (bad idea) on the grounds that I don't have a racing wheel anymore. A Logitec G27 just popped up for under $150, I could probably talk him down to $100. Probably won't be as nice as my old Fanatec though.

Also, normally the city just plows around the outside of cul-de-sacs, and leaves all the poo poo in the middle. Came home today and they shoved all of it into my front yard. No more romping in the fluffy stuff every time I leave for work and come home until it snows again. :saddowns:

T-Square
May 14, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

I picked up a G27 when one popped up cheap a while ago. Picked up Assetto Corsa during the last steam sale and will do iRacing once I'm setup. Now I just need to build a rig so I can use the wheel with the race seat I have sitting in the corner.

A friend just offered me his fanatec set up with inverted club sport pedals for $200. Most likely going to pick it up this weekend. Let's get some races going!

T-Square
May 14, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

Buy that, poo poo worst case I might be interested in buying it off you. That's a nice setup. Trying to figure out how I could temporarily rig it up until I weld everything up.

I'm probably going to just half-rear end a cockpit with some 2x4's, plywood, and the sportiest junkyard seat I can find. :v:

What wheel do you have? Or do you not have one yet?

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I can't remember where I wrote down my cold-weather jetting info for my dirtbike. I want to ride on the ice this weekend. :(

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Big dumb F150 wouldn't start this morning, and jumping it didn't work. I really hope it's just the battery, but I'm having my doubts. :(

T-Square
May 14, 2009

goatse guy posted:

Yes, but... Indiana. Booze is pretty cheap here in Minnesota as well. You can get a 24 pack of Hamm's for under $20, but the downside is that you're drinking Hamm's.

Whatever dude. From the land of sky-blue waters. :colbert:

E: Got the CR250 re-jetted, kinda guess-work. Most likely will be tuning it as I go, if I even get out to the lake. Gotta get the truck started first. Took the battery to Advance to get tested, and he said it has a low charge and he needs to charge it to get an accurate test. Crossing my fingers that it's just the battery and not something else. I just want to do wheelies and stuff on the ice.

T-Square fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 10, 2015

T-Square
May 14, 2009

goatse guy posted:

I'm going to bring you a 24 pack of Hamm's at the next midwest goon meet.

Yeesss. I also like Schlitz. And Blatz. And Pabst. Ooocccaaassionally High Life. Not sure what that says about me.

Miller Lite and Budweiser can piss right off though. :v:

T-Square
May 14, 2009

leica posted:

Liquid Cocaine Cocktail Recipe

1 oz. Goldschläger

1 oz. Rumple Minze

1 oz. Jagermeister

1. Don’t, under any circumstances, find yourself in possession of any
of these bottles (let alone all three).

2. If that does happen, proceed to pour them all into a glass, one at a time.

3. Think long and hard about the consequences of drinking this.

4. Chase with bleach.

Guess I drink lovely liquor too :v:

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Anyone else have a habit of grabbing a Hot Wheels whenever they are at Wally's or somewhere similar?

Yes.

Tried pulling the starter out of the F150 today to have it tested. Top bolt was already conveniently rounded out, and I'm not dealing with that poo poo on my back in the snow in single digit temps before windchill. However, after dicking around with it four a half hour and hosing everything down with PB Blaster, and giving up on it, it decided it felt like starting again. Gonna see if it starts in the morning, and take it to work if it does. If it keeps being inconsistent, I'm just going to be lazy and take it to the shop down the block and rock the E30 for a couple of days. Funny how my E30 is being more reliable than my purebred 'Murican F150. *knocks on wood*

E: Holy poo poo, forgot the new season of Archer started this week. Aw yeah.

T-Square fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 12, 2015

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I can only grow big dumb sideburns. Good for Blues Brothers costumes, bad for not looking like an idiot the other 364 days of the year.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

leica posted:

I made a mistake buying a scooter because now I want a Supermoto even worse now, the weather has been perfect for riding :smith:

I miss my Suzuki DRZ-400SM the most, by-far, out of anything I've owned so far, car or otherwise. Eventually I'm going to try my damnedest to find a way to get my '94 Honda CR-250 street legal and/or "street legal" and throw some supermoto wheels and tires on it. That thing would be downright scary on the street. Also, you can get into trouble with a scooter if you try hard enough!

T-Square
May 14, 2009

leica posted:

Yeah, something tells me I'm going to end up with a DRZ if I can't find one reasonably priced, but that's ok I guess.

Just curious, why are you opting for a WR over a DRZ? I loved everything about my DRZ and have never been a fan of the WRs at all. I think they look goofy, and there's the whole 250 versus 400 part.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Got some nice dinner in a fancy hotel tonight and some jerks gave me a couple hunks of metal.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Chiming in to say how hosed up and really good Restrepo and Koregal are. I did like Restrepo better though.

Also, almost finished with another run through of Generation Kill, because everyone should watch that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFuEc7Zqgug

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Yep, Wisconsinite here. I'm not a hardcore football fan, but I'm still pretty salty about that one. Way to completely loving blow it in the last 10 minutes after dominating for 80% of the game. Apparently Rodgers is more than a little upset with McCarthy and his play calls.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Made an appointment for today to look at an apartment exactly in the area that I wanted to move to. Management company called me 2 hours before my appointment to cancel because they had rented it to someone else before I even got to see it. :(

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Got a nice cold beer, and 24 Hours of Daytona on the big TV. Gotta love seeing fancy 911's missing bumpers and taillights and still having the absolute poo poo beat out of them.

I can't loving wait to go down to 12 Hours of Sebring this year. :getin:

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Nooooo I missed the stupid Deltawang break. My favorite part of endurance races is watching that thing inevitably get shunted into a wall or break.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

drat Ferrari-driving French-men! :argh: The Aston sounded so good too.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I just found out AKG Motorsports has a mono-wiper kit for E30s. :shepspends:

T-Square
May 14, 2009

God damnit BavarianAutosport. Went to order a $7 oil pressure switch for the E30, here I am $120 poorer.

Also, totally buying an AKG Motorsport Quick Shifter when my tax return hits my bank account. Gonna beat the hell out of this car on the ice, if it ever gets cold enough, and I get motivated enough to do some work on it.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

Ah the joys of E30 ownership. I'm a big fan of going to order a $5 part and ending up with $100+ in parts. Ice racing an E30 is fun as hell, I ran out chump car last winter a couple times. I'd recommend a car with windows, roof and a heater though...convertible was loving cold.

Eh, it's got windows and a roof, close enough.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

rscott posted:

http://wichita.craigslist.org/cto/4788757699.html

My next car is going to wind up being some kind of crazy thing like this

I've been watching a lot of Miami Vice, and poo poo like this pops up in pretty much every episode. I want an old Merc so bad now.

Question for VW guys: My dad's friend is looking at one of his friends 2001 Golf GLI that had snapped the timing chain while idling in a drive-through line. Car has 180k miles on the clock and is a manual transmission and he was shown the quote from the shop that they took it to, and obviously it needs headwork (he wasn't specific) and I asked about valves and he told me the quote didn't say anything about bent valves at all. The head is currently off of the car. The owners are trying to offload it for $1,200. I personally would run away, but I told him I'd look into it and see if it's worth his time. So, is it worth his time? Or should he run away too?

Edit: Probably should have asked him what engine is in it. :doh:

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Raluek posted:

I'd be suspicious of a snapped timing chain. Does that even happen? I guess VW can make anything fail. That price sounds like about double what you should pay for a rolling chassis with a blown motor, IMO, unless you gotta have that specific car.

meatpimp posted:

I'd say it's more a broken timing belt, which is fantastically common with VWs of that era, especially 1.8Ts. Not a tough repair, especially since you can buy loaded heads ready to bolt up. Now, whether you want a 14 year old VW with almost 200k miles is another question...

the spyder posted:

I paid $500 for a 01 VR6 with broken chain guides. Never again. I was able to fix it for $1k and flipped it for $4k though. I usually tell friends who ask similar questions, what's the point of buying a $1k car, putting $1k into it, just to have a car that’s worth $2500?

Fart Pipe posted:

If its a VR6 it would be a chain, they never made a Golf GLI so Im assuming its a GTI which would have the VR.

About what I figured. Also shows what I know about VWs, ha. I could really care less what he wants to do with it as I see him about once a year, and I sure as hell don't plan on touching it. Thanks guys!

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Looking for a place to live is dumb and I hate it. Especially when there is four vehicles between you and your roommate.

Also, I'm getting like $8-900 back, totally buying unresponsible E30 poo poo.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

So I just signed a job offer after more than a year of searching.

Tomorrow I get to go in and quit, which is going to be awkward.

I've always hated putting in my notice because I always bust my rear end everywhere I work, and everyone's always super let-down when they find out I'm leaving. When I was offered my current position, I was nervous all day about giving the HR Director my notice (for a dumb bullshit job that I absolutely hated), and when I finally did he threw a hissy-fit, deactivated my swipe card and walked me out the front door. Whatever, two weeks of vacation for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Hnggg I loved my CB7 Accord so much, even though it was a MASSIVE turd. But it had an immaculate maroon interior that was classy as hell. gently caress doing the front rotors though. Anyway, having a wagon would be so much more awesome.

Also, some of you nerds should check out Besiege on Steam, I bought it for $6 last night. It's a neat little physics game where you have to design and build your own siege-engines from scratch to kill mans and blow up houses and castles. There are some levels with different objectives other than killing mans, requiring siege engines with different purposes. It can be pretty difficult, and the camera sucks, but I've been playing it all morning.

• Locked thread