Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I thought FedEx lost the $300 in parts I ordered from Pelican but they merely did like every other delivery driver and delivered them to the wrong building, that was a depressing couple of hours though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
ketchup in it's modern form is way too sweet and is loving gross as a result

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
idk, those pictures look like they're from 1999, who knows what's happened in the last 16 years

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
^^^ danger 5 is hilarious thanks for reminding me to download it again now that I finally picked up an external with some space

Rhyno posted:

Stuart Scott's mindset on cancer is incredibly inspiring.

“You beat cancer by how you live, why you live, and in the manner in which you live.”

Was since he died yesterday :(

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Phone posted:

Speaking of cancer and loving it, go watch Awesome Games Done Quick. Nerds are speed running games for the entire week and breaking them in hilarious ways. It's a week long donation drive that is going to the Prevent Cancer Foundation. :)

Remember last February where it was Twitch Plays Pokemon? Last night, some nerds took complete control over a Pokemon Red cart plugged into a Super Gameboy and fed the IRC chat into the SNES; thereby creating... Pokemon Plays Twitch.

did anyone gently caress someone else's wife yet?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Our big problem is people stealing metal out our scrap bins, apparently "pure" aircraft grade Al/Ti fetches a pretty penny even in scrap form

IIRC we make back almost $20k a month just from selling our scrap and trimmings

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Yeah.

Seriously though, I don't know about the US, but here copper from poo poo like wiring that you've stripped the insulation off or central heating pipes is like $5000 a ton.

Edit:
rcscott, we had people steal the lead flashing off our factory roof. You know, the factory with a few tons of superalloys lying around in it. :bravo:

any tutu wearing vicars in the vicinity

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Amazingly enough my car started this morning despite the low single digits, the battery being 5 years old and the massive amount of corrosion on the positive battery terminal, otherwise I was gonna have to test out that theory that you can pop start a car with a 4 hp 22

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

meatpimp posted:

Well below 0C? Heh, well below 0F... I'm envious of your heat.

Oh god. Back when those were new, Lexus had a comparo that I went to -- they had all the current mid-level competitors from Benz, BMW, Lexus, Jaaaaag, something else that I forget. You could drive them any way you wanted to in a huge stadium lot. The Benz was surprisingly the most fun of the bunch, but that Jaaag... it was horrid. That model was based on the global chassis that we got in the US as the Ford Contour... and it was every bit as bad as a Contour. We used to see them pretty frequently here and I always pointed out the Contour Jaags because they were so obviously badge-modified only.

Um excuse me I'll have you know that the countour svt compares very favorably to the e36 m3

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
You guys don't remember that thread a few years back when someone claimed that very thing?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

InitialDave posted:

I'm biased, because I think E36s are rubbish.

they make good donors for swaps to E30s :v:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Raluek posted:

Yeah, some of us have 1800+ Thoroughbreds. Those mobile Bartons sure were the hot setup though. I've heard tell of 200 FSB! I've still got a couple NF7-S boards around, just in case.

back in the day i had a 35w mobile barton, a terrible for overclocking gigabyte nforce2 board (can't remember the model name) and 2x512MB of BH-5 (cost seriously $400+ back in the day, but it was worth it, I used that poo poo from 2002 until 2005). I ran 10x250@ like 1.9vcore, 2.9vdimm? something like that

Upgraded to a C0 stepping clawhammer and an abit KT800 mobo that didn't have the AGP bus locked (I have bad taste in motherboards), ran that at 10x240@1.95vcore(!!!) which took delidding the IHS, lapping the heatsink and putting an 80mm delta on top of a venus 12 to get prime95 stable. Thinking back now I could have probably done better to go like 8x300 and used a lower agp multiplier but maybe I didn't have enough vdimm to get the RAM stable, you needed 3.2v+ to do 300FSB and keep 2-2-2-5. Bought a powercolor radeon 9800 non pro, flashed it with the pro bios to unlock higher voltage settings and the full 256bit memory bus, stuck some giant aftermarket dual slot cooler on it and bought little heatsinks for the video RAM and everything. Ran it at 480/400MHz (stock clocks for the non pro were like 289/250, the top of the line radeon 9800XT ran at 450/380 IIRC). If this all sounds a little crazy, you should have seen the SuperPi and 3dMark2k1/2k3 scores!

Went to skt939 and got a nice nF3 250 board with a locked AGP bus, bought a manchester 1.8 and ran it at 10x270 with a much more sane vcore, something like 1.65-1.7, thank god for 90nm processes. Board maxed out around 3.0 vdimm so I couldn't run 9x300, again. Think I upgraded to a zalman 120mm based cooler here too because I was tired of the delta sounding like a vacuum cleaner all the time

Stuck a winchester 3800x2 in there because I was kind of obsessed with folding@home at the time and wanted more CPU cores. Ran that thing at 10x260@1.55vcore, these chips didn't respond to voltage as linearly as the single core K8's did. Stock vcore was 1.4 and you could get from 1.8 to about 2.4 with very little added at all, but 1.55v just to get to 2.6 and like 1.65v to get to 2.7 which started pushing the temperatures past 60c loaded

Finally popped the 9800 in late 2005 and bought a nF4 board and a GeForce 7800GT. Still DDR1 because gently caress DDR2 and it's stupid high CAS latencies that didn't even begin to overcome the increased bandwidth, especially compared to my BH-5 that was capable of 300MHz+ FSB at 2-2-2-5 1T if I could get enough volts into it, which I could, finally. Most of the time I ran 9x290 though because Really I'd like to build something like this with a modernish SSD just to run SimCity 4 but good luck finding the parts for a reasonable cost. These were the last and fastest DX9 cards and my i7 laptop with a midrange dx10 card runs that game way slower than the aforementioned PC did.

Nowadays it just doesn't seem like overclocking is worth it, PCs haven't been held back by CPUs/GPUs except in high resolution video games for years now. Flash storage technology finally maturing to give us durable and cheap SSDs have been the greatest boon to having a computer that feels "fast" since going from single core to dual core imo

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
woke up at 2:45am with horrible cramps, spent the next hour or so on the toilet, alarm clock goes off at 5am, so it wasn't even worth it to go back to sleep

great way to start the week :sigh:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I went and ate pho with a bunch of VW drivers, pho was good, conversation was interesting and most importantly I learned about this place

http://www.kansas.com/news/business/small-business/article2623946.html

Rent your own bay for $20/hr :aaaaa:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

MrChips posted:

I still can't believe that in this day and age of lawsuits and insurance bullshit that these DIY garages are not only surviving, but thriving. The one that I know of in town is always busy in spite of being staffed by the crankiest loving South African I've ever met.

I know right? This place makes you sign a waiver and watch a safety video before you can do poo poo but gently caress the tool list is pretty much everything you could want:
code:

Other Shop Equipment

Hydraulic Press
    Coil Spring compressor
    Engine Pick
    Engine Hoist
    Transmission Jack
    Fuel Tank Support
    Screw Jack
    Aqueous Parts Washer

Brake Lathe
    Rim Clamp Tire Machine
    Wheel balancer
    Battery Charger
    OBDII Code Reader
    Air compressor

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Me and my journeyman were loading a reel of fiber onto the bucket truck. I felt a pain in my lower back and collapsed on the ground. My entire right leg is in pain and my lower back hurts so much right now I can barely stand.

My dad is roasting my clutch driving my car to the ER right now.

I did this last january locking out at the top of a deadlift rep and I couldn't walk for about 4 days and it was 2 or 3 weeks until I was able to semi return to normal tasks, and I wound up with an epidural and several months of physical therapy that my insurance company refuses to pay for

Good luck.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
fresh milk has a pH of about 6.7, you are full of poo poo as per usual

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I Rain-X'd my windshield today at lunch, their "extreme" glass cleaner appears to be the same poo poo you clean glass stove tops with except in a body wash bottle

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
my beard was thicker when I was 20 years old

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

mafoose posted:

It depends on the person, I personally have an easier time doing intercooler piping than stainless steel exhausts. So many people think that because it sticks together it is a good weld. Most stainless welds you see people post are overheated to poo poo and will probably crack if it's going on a car.

Training got postponed til next week, which is nice because another 12hr day would have really sucked. We got some fancy Mazak mills, but everything awesome about them requires you to run their proprietary Mazatrol language, which we're not going to.
Yay for uneducated purchasing decisions!

we have a bunch of mazak 5 axis and they are pretty nice, but I don't think the proprietary poo poo is that hard to learn

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Also, the whole working with your hands is generally disdained upon any more.

Blue collar job... what are you a neanderthal? Lets not forget plumbers, electricians and carpenters that are doing fairly well for themselves with out the soul crushing debt of college.

It's not that it's disdained, it's that there aren't that many of these type of jobs available anymore, largely because the whole point of technological advancement is to save labor. I hear so many people say poo poo like this, that STEM and trade schools are the solution to America's employment problems but it isn't true and has not been true since the United States transitioned to a post industrial economy. The biggest problem is that we have some people working 3500+ hours a year to support themselves adequately and we have other people who are unable to find work at all, despite any training or job skills. The 40 hour work week is an artifact of the early 20th century when work was far more labor intensive than it is now, and should be adjusted accordingly.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

You can't fix a sewer main or fix an electrical panel with labor saving. It still requires a person to go out, dig up the poo poo, and physically cut out the old pipe and repair it. And yes, we don't have the massive amount of people that it takes to fix a road but it still takes quite an army of men. Between the transportation of materials, workers to run the machines and so on.

What? Yes you can. It takes far less labor hours to fix poo poo like that because of useful time saving devices and technological advancement that makes replacing water mains and grading roads and other things way way easier. Like seriously, the entire history of technological advancement thus far has been to do poo poo with less labor time, which either means that the same number of people do the same amount of work in less hours, or less people do the same amount of work with the same amount of hours.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I've got a stylesheet that makes everything look like it did before they changed the poo poo last year because I hate change in all forms

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

Winter is when Arizona is at its best.

who bought the av

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I still disagree. You still need people to go in and hand dig a line out after the labor saving device has excavated the pipe. You can grade a road with one person with a road grader (but road grading was done by a team of horses and 2 people) but I think your views are skilled. Robots can only do so much until human skills take over.

Perfect example is on the railroad. We use remote control locomotives to switch cars with 2 people (2 switchman) on one end of the yard and the other end uses a 3 man crew (1 engineer 2 switchmen), and they consistently out switch the remote control units on a daily basis. So much in fact that right we are so backed up on cars they run both ends of the yard with 3 man crews. But the company keeps throwing money at a failed technology because they are going to make it look good on paper.

Technology is only as good as the person programing it.

You're missing the point of what I'm saying. Eliminating human labor entirely is not going to happen until the singularity or w/e but so far in human history technology mainly exists and is developed so that one person can do the work of many others. That is fine when economies are rapidly expanding as during industrialization, but when an economy reaches the point where most people have enough material things to live comfortably and population growth slows down, the increased productivity that technological progress brings simply does not result in as many new jobs being created as ones that are eliminated through increases in efficiency. Ask some greybeard at your work how many people it took to move the same amount of tonnage through the yard 30 or 40 years ago, or how many engineers it took to run a train. Or to run a freight ship, or an airplane, or a ton of other traditionally blue collar jobs. The average American worker is over twice as productive as they were in 1970 but there isn't twice as much poo poo in America as there was 20 years ago.

This isn't inherently a bad thing except when you combine it with the weird flavor of protestant work ethic and fygm mentality that makes up American Exceptionalism. That leads to the imho perverse situation where you have some people working 3 jobs to put food on the table while someone else can't find work at all when there is more than enough work and wealth to go around that most everyone can work a reasonable amount of hours for a comfortable lifestyle which makes everyone happier and better off in the end.

Now cue all the traditional liberal responses about personal responsibility and individualism and the freedom to starve and all that other poo poo :v:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

kastein posted:

The real issue here is that our economy, our population, hell, our EVERYTHING is predicated on maintaining exponential growth. Which is a no-win game.

Until the last few centuries, that was just how you kept humanity alive. Now? It will be our downfall, if we don't do something about it rather quickly. Note: there is no acceptable, good "something" to do. Eugenics is incredibly morally repulsive, you can see exactly how well "one child" worked out in China, etc.

:agreed: but it's like betrand russel said, 'if man were truly rational creatures motivated by self interest, we would all cooperate' but we aren't so we don't

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I started playing SimCity4 again but I've been using CATIA so much at work lately that I keep trying to pan and zoom around the map with middle clicks and middle+right clicks and it's not working :v:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
welp I wrecked the E30, got tboned in the driver door by a focus going ~40

totally my fault, somehow i escaped with just a cut to my right hand but i pretty much want to kill myself right now

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I had liability only, I paid a thousand bucks for it and the condition was fair at best so it wasn't worth putting full coverage on it.

I really feel like loving crying, I loved that car and my stupid rear end mistake loving killed it

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
yep, i was gonna install basically a whole new ignition system on it tomorrow and i stopped at the grocery store to buy poo poo to wash it with and it gave its life leaving me more or less unscathed

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
it was pretty much the only inanimate object that i had an attachment to and the only thing that i could feel reasonably proud about but just like everything else in my life i hosed it up

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I am surprisingly not sore for the most part, my hand hurts, especially when I whacked it on the corner of my dresser trying get undressed but I have basically no bruising on my hips which are a bit sore and that's it. Back doesn't hurt anymore or in different places than usual, neck and head are fine.

Time to start looking for a new car, need to figure out how much I can raid out of my 401k and my grandma said she'd toss some cash my way

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
http://tulsa.craigslist.org/ctd/4844511969.html

Tell me about owning a Lexus

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
something like 75% of dudes in the US are cut so you'd think you'd hear more about all these dudes unable to get off because they can't feel anything with their glans

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
no one was in any of the cars I hope :ohdear:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Ferremit posted:

Not to mention that if you ARE aboriginal and DO wind up at centrelink for no fault of your own, then your automatically going to be bundled into the "Only getting benefits so they can sit in the park and drink cheap poo poo wine all day at the taxpayers expense" group that represents a TINY number of Aboriginals, but has been seized by the average Australian racist as the "Norm" for anyone slightly dark skinned.

The governments absolute BASHING of people in need of help doesnt help the situation either. They tried to introduce a 6 month "Waiting period" For receiving benefits if you were made unemployed not long ago (which got smacked down in parliament HARD). I have absolutely no idea where these people proposing this poo poo thought people were going to find food and shelter for 6 months on zero income.

Considering the LNP, im pretty sure their thought process was "They'll just crawl off and die behind some bushes and stop being a burden on society" TBH.

They're neoliberals, what do you expect? Did you see what Murdoch has been doing in the states/the UK for the last 20+ years and expect that he wouldn't turn his jaundiced eye towards his home country?

I miss my loving car :(

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
If you have a union use it to your advantage, that's what its there for.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

RIP E30

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I'm 6'4" and I have a 28in waist so that's some of it I'm guessing, the rest of it is superior german engineering?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

mariooncrack posted:

drat rscott, you got off lucky. You went to see a doctor right?

They took me in an ambulance to the hospital, I was examined there and they couldn't find anything wrong with me besides the hand, it's really pretty amazing. Even my hosed up back doesn't hurt more than it normally does. Hell, the tetanus shot site hurts more than most of everything else.

• Locked thread