Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

My Cat shoes (hey shut up they're the only ones making semi-durable steel toe sneakers these days, and I can't wear actual boots) are peeling apart like that too. But I bought them in September '13 and they're still going so they're doing better than my last 2 pairs, usually get 12 months before they're completely hosed and unwearable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I also found pictures of that skyline at a track day:

(wow, managed to confuse myself into editing this post like 5 times, all for the sake of a lovely joke)

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 3, 2015

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

So here's a question I'm afraid to take over to SH/SC because it sounds dumb as hell:
I'm using Chrome. When I open up an image heavy thread the page renders without images and then as they load, I completely lose my place as the page length changes but my position is referenced from the top of the page. This results in me trying to scroll down to keep my place, then getting pissed off at it and mashing the page down key until it's done loading and backtrack to whatever my last read post was. Is there some sort of plugin or tweak I can use to correct this behavior and make it hold my place?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

opengl128 posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=editoptions

"Adjust the page position to the top of the requested post after the page loads" Set this to yes.

Yep, I knew this was a stupid question. Thanks.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Tusen Takk posted:

So it's okay to have an over locked quad core but it's not okay to have a 64bit processor? :what:

But none of it matters because 90% of the software available on phone platforms is frivolous bullshit made up of lovely, lazy inefficient code that wouldn't run smoothly on $3k worth of desktop computer.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

HotCanadianChick posted:

BeOS was the best OS ever made and I hope everyone who ignored it and never gave it a chance to shine is forever plagued with never ending problems caused by their use of inferior operating systems. :colbert:

Correct, though I offer the further point that NeXTSTEP can suck it.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

So I can get an LQ4 pulled out of a van and dropped at my house for $650. No guarantees that it runs, but I'll be rebuilding the whole loving thing anyway. Thoughts from the masses?

That's not too bad considering that's pulled and delivered. I've seen them go for less in questionable (but rebuildable) shape and 'still in the truck' though.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Found out I've got a SIX DOLLAR GODDAMNED RAISE, as of next month
Wow, so you can actually make decent money at this poo poo. Was having my doubts after 2 years of making less than I was doing tires. Also gently caress my old service manager in the rear end with a rake, I was supposed to have this ten months ago but he deferred and hosed up my apprenticeship papers in about 6 different ways before quitting and leaving his replacement to clear it all up.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

jammyozzy posted:

That raises a question, do Summit Racing ship to the UK? :v:

I imagine the Corvette/Cadillac dealers over there would be the best place to look to bring GMPP stuff like crate motors over. Hell a creative Vauxhall dealer might be able to source them. Something tells me Summit would not be the most effective solution for bringing something that big overseas. All the little stuff to make it work sure, but not the engine itself.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Cage posted:

I was going to buy a new one when GTA:V comes out anyway.

But the loading screens are all 2d, onboard graphics should be fine.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Cage posted:

Is that a "this game is mostly loading screens" joke? Guess you can't put a SSD in a ps4 or xbone huh? :smug: :smug: :smugdog:

Actually maybe you can, but on PC having a SSD cut loading times in IV by more than half for me.

360 actually, and it's sitting beside its replacement, a :pcgaming:Gaming HTPC:pcgaming:. Either way I couldn't resist the joke.
e: and yeah I'm not posting specs. The processor was free and I put it in a box with $500 worth of whatever components were on sale when I built it and I haven't been able to make it sweat with any game I've played on it.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jan 11, 2015

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I think I'm getting Catfished on POF. Matched with this girl last night and she was interested in what I do for work and my hobbies and stuff. But she's seriously the hottest girl I've ever seen in my life. I can't believe she is real at all.

There are good-looking people who aren't shallow you know. I've been out on a ton of dates with women who were both ridiculously gorgeous and genuinely interested in me- and I'm a good bit below average in the looks department. Of course, I never get anywhere because the depression/anxiety/self-sabotage kicks in (regardless of what they look like) and I make my personality appear repulsive rather quickly.

mariooncrack posted:

Am I the only one here that has a AMD processor?

FX-6100 here. Getting the chip for free and a refurbished board for $40 was enough to swing me to the losing team. I still don't think I'd pay full pop for a Bulldozer but I'm more than happy with it for the price I paid.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

So I had an idea today after coming up dry on another round of junkyard posi checks. We love junkyards and we love helping each other out, a lot of us have mentioned they have standing orders for poo poo they need and the Row52 Parts Puller thing has a lot of potential for being hosed by some idiot meth head across the country. Has anyone thought about doing a junkyard wanted parts list? I'm imagining a little script on Google Docs where you'd enter username/email/year(s)/make/model(s)/part wanted and it'd pop you into a read-only spreadsheet that we all could see and keep an eye out for the good stuff. Does this sound feasible to anyone else?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Alright, that's enough feedback to tell me this needs to happen. I'm playing with a form and a spreadsheet now.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 13, 2015

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Black88GTA posted:

maybe it would be a good idea to put a "tech notes" column or something as well? Something that could be used as a place to write notes on how to remove delicate parts without breaking them (poo poo like "to get shifter surround out, pop out shift boot and undo 2 screws hidden underneath before removing"), etc. Chances are, the person looking for a specific part will know exactly how it attaches, and all the "gotchas" for how to install / remove it without destroying it in the process, whereas someone who happens to spot the item in a yard and is unfamiliar with the car may have no idea. Would be a shame to destroy some unicorn part due to lack of knowledge on how to remove it.

I'm almost done (holy gently caress this Google Forms thing is easy, though not quite as powerful as I'd like). I have a field for a short description (I said there's a 75 character max but couldn't put a hard limit in, like I said it could be a little more powerful) and a second field where you can put a URL to a post in the thread I'll be making which you can use to talk about the specifics of the part and how to get it out.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

NitroSpazzz posted:

I know this isn't the most current post on this subject but that's a drat good idea. Would you be making a thread to support it for uninstall directions and stuff? I have a bunch of hard to find (in the US) parts ready for the list.
Yep. Thread is live. Can't link from my phone but it's the only one on the first page with a request tag.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

some texas redneck posted:

Except it's easier to just unbolt the seat and remove it. :haw:

I wholeheartedly agree;Take 4 bolts out and it stops hurting. Ever since I got stuck for 45 minutes under my own dash I haven't done it any other way.

some texas redneck posted:

I won't touch newer Hondas, and IMO the 98-02 Accord was the ugliest ever....,
Uh no, those were the best looking Accord ever. Especially the coupe with the fake NSX taillights.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jan 17, 2015

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

So my glacially-paced car shopping adventure took me to a Ford dealer today. I lucked out again and got a salesman who actually knows some poo poo mechanically, which is always nice. Focus and Fiesta gave me a crowded feeling that I didn't even get in my Festiva, it just feels like the cabin is full of junk. And I don't think I could live with a Mustang, I don't do trunks (plus they are a little outside my budget).
But after reading some of Powershift's posts and poking around of Ford's B&P I found it was possible to do a build sheet for a 2.7EB, big sway bars and 3.73/elocker in a poverty-spec SWB 2WD F150 to make a ludicrously cheap neo-Lightning/Tremor-lite within my budget, and I drove a '15. Unfortunately the 2.7s still haven't shipped yet but a v8 in a crew cab with 4x4 gives it roughly the same power to weight ratio and is thus close enough to get the idea.
The idea holds water. After the drive I'm convinced you could make one of these trucks actually handle without much money, but the locker would have to go- it needs an LSD badly, and it could use a little more sway bar out back. But the cornering it can pull off as-is with me not wanting to push an unfamiliar vehicle too hard is loving bonkers for a truck. I shall not piss on the car-ification of pickup trucks any longer, that poo poo blew my mind.
I don't mind the slushbox-only factor on this thing as much as I thought I would, it shifts uncannily well and exactly when I'd want it to. Sport mode is a bit weird but apparently not available on a 2.7 truck anyway so :v:.
But one caveat that the salesman pointed out would be that all the options that would make this a speedy truck also factor in heavily to the spring rate table since they're technically towing options and not Ricky Bobby stuff, and you can't cherry-pick a spring rate (or even see the exact correlation between options loadout and spring rate beyond what they've posted as a GVW table). So it might result in a truck with way too much spring out back and thus a pretty unstable tail. I've got some more research to do there.
Now excuse me while I contemplate how ridiculous it is that I cross-shopped a new pickup truck with an automatic while looking at used Subarus and the pickup truck may actually win me over.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Pulling this transmission a third time because the dealership can't get me the right parts sure is how I wanted to start this loving week, yessir :argh:

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

AI.jpg

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Welp, Rockyview county just shot down the application to build what was supposed to be our new race track. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Well that was some bullshit. Went to Princess Auto, started filling a cart with all the stuff that I've been borrowing from the other techs a bit too much lately and then left my cart in the aisle to go to the cramped little corner where they keep the air tools. Come back, my cart is gone. A little cheesed I grabbed another one and filled it with the same poo poo. Go to use the washroom before I check out, the new cart is gone. I think these people take store tidiness a bit too seriously. :argh:

• Locked thread