Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Ground floor :hehe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I had to be to work this morning at 9a and idk what I ate last night cuz I sure didn't drink a whole lot but I puked my loving brains out while staying at my wife's parents.

I guess I was so loud that it woke my father in law up and he said something like "yikes, guess he's not going to work" to my wife the. Was absolutely shocked when I walked out of the bathroom saying how much better I felt see you nerds later. It's amazing how well years of puking all the time from stomach issues prepares you for getting over a simple stomach ache puke compared to other people

Edit: it was either from a shitload of Brie and apples or from the four coke and raspberry vodkas I had, idk

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I've tried learning it before and while I've gotten a decent handle on photoshop I had an easier time teaching myself programming languages than learning illustrator

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

iPhone superiority

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Lol if you honestly care that your mobile telephone has a quad core processessor and also lol if you're willing to use any android app

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Brigdh posted:

Says the guy that had to have 64-bit processors in his phone before there was any real need?

So it's okay to have an overclocked quad core but it's not okay to have a 64bit processor? :what:

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jan 4, 2015

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Tommychu posted:

But none of it matters because 90% of the software available on phone platforms is frivolous bullshit made up of lovely, lazy inefficient code that wouldn't run smoothly on $3k worth of desktop computer.

Haha this is extremely true

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Brigdh posted:

Yes. Everyone knows octa core is the new crazy :)

Lets see, what can I say as an industry insider.

Core counts are driven by the SE Asia market (Japan/Korea). The market there really demands "N+1". Numbers always have to be going up, even though it really doesn't make a lot of sense. Its basically the modern version of the Ghz wars. You can tell your customer they are an idiot an attempt to educate them, but at the end of the day, the customer buys what they buy, even if its not logical.

India/China are driving the low end and crazy stuff like having 2+ SIMs, and an ever increasing compatibility with every known radio frequency.

Screen size is driven by the evolution of the phone from a phone to a PDA that is a replacement for any other computing device, and is more media driven. This tends to be a USA/Euro thing. The market wants a tablet that can play movies, and happens to make phone calls when needed.

On core counts, 2-4 cores is the sweet spot. 4 can be effectively used by most folks. 8 today is really just a lovely way of trying to optimize 4 for both power and performance because the ARM reference designs are limited in power management. Apple makes 2 work because they don't have crazy customers demanding phones with a specific core count, and Apple does a bunch of crazy stuff on the bus interconnect to make it work. Apple uses their ability to have (nearly) complete control to provide a rather good product that actually meets people's needs, and not marketing number BS. Mostly. Apple has a big case of Not Invented Here Syndrome, which can cause problems.

In the phone space, there is no point to 64-bit yet. Its all marketing. On the whole, you don't want 64-bit. Its slow, consumes more power, and eats up your storage space (on average, you can optimize and bring it to a compatible level as 32-bit, but that really isn't real world). Of course, 32-bit has addressing limitations, and 64-bit can be really handy for virtualization and helping the OS do its job.

64-bit will be necessary on a phone, but that time hasn't hit yet. However, Apple went and surprised the industry by adopting 64-bit before it was technically necessary, and started a marketing war because 64 > 32 on paper, but not in practice.

So yeah, as an Apple fan boy, I really don't see you having a leg to stand on by laughing at other manufacturers for having unnecessary core counts that the end user can't use/doesn't need when Apple did the same thing for screen resolution and 64-bit.

The whole industry is kinda hosed up, but its like Democracy - its broken but the alternatives are surprisingly worse.

Honestly I didn't mind android as an operating system when I had a note 2. What I hated was the phone, it was garbage, and the App Store, full of loving awful apps and a few good ones here and there. I also don't really get why people enjoy tinkering and janitor img their phone when it's annoying enough to do that with PC's.

The main thing that bothers me is the people who are defined by their phone. For me, my iPhone was best for me and what I wanted and it's really just a phone. For many android enthusiasts, it's a way of life and anyone who doesn't use android is either an idiot, a sheeple, or their parents/grandparents. That annoys the poo poo out of me, like dude, be yourself and don't define people by their phone preferences.

So I like to be an rear end about it because I know it drives many android fans up the wall :smug:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Adiabatic posted:

We now have someone coming from Trondheim, Norway.

Veldig bra!

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

So me and my wife's family were supposed to go to Hawaii in May if we were able to use their uncles time share so that way we would be able to afford rooming 8 people; turns out the uncle was planning on using it this summer, which is kind of a bummer. Anyways, I'm trying to find somewhere beachy that isn't Florida or somewhere down south since her family has never been out west or in the Caribbean.

They want to go see SanFran but I think going out west will end up being way more expensive than the Caribbean since well need a car that fits 8 people and also afaik SV/SF are chilly rainy shitholes in the spring. Also lodging seems to be more expensive than the Bahamas (~$200/night/room in SF vs $160 in Bahamas)

Anyone have any good ideas of fun places to go in May?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I just can't get into console gaming and new computer games just don't deliver for some reason. Late 90s and early 2000s were, for me at least, the height of computer gaming.

I'm playing the poo poo out of SimCity 4 with a few mods lately, mostly thanks to the new SC: BuildIt! iOS app making me crave more realistic simulation. As fun as BF4 is there is not much more relaxing than planning a region out and watching it grow :3:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

the only truck I will ever buy is a ute :colbert:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

It's currently 3F/-16C here in the great state of michigan and jesus loving christ am I miserable. Parking at school was abysmal and I ended up walking a quarter mile to my classroom. Now I have a 3.5hr break until my next class so I came home and am seriously considering callling it a snow day and making hot cocoa and seducing my wife

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Day 2191 in Michigan

Grilled cheese and curry ramen for lunch. Temperature outside is 3F with high winds. With humidity and windchill it's -17F. Supplies are low. Moral is low.

Death is certain.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Day 2191 in Michigan

Supplies are lower than I thought. One pack of chicken ramen used the last of my curry supplies. Cannot find bread.

Death is near.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

This week has blown so hard. Wife gets a flat on Sunday, then the same day I walk by a shelf at work and my car key got stuck in it, snapping it in half (lol GM build quality, thank god for some reason I had my spare in my car), then yesterday I hit a pothole the size of Rhode Island and had a huge gash on the sidewall. It was snowing like crazy to boot and about 14F outside and I had no jack or fourway, so I had to have my dad come with the tools so I could get the spare on. I just got that replaced (it was a month old tire).

Now I'm sitting in the Secretary of State office waiting for three hours to transfer my title out of my dads name and into mine since we have the same name and whoever did the paperwork apparently got confused when me and my dad walked in when I first bought the car.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I would think that the Hellcat is heavy enough that even though it has so much power, it's relatively controllable vs something like a Viper or Carrera GT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I did the turbotax tax return forcaster and it's telling me well be getting a shitload back in taxes because of how much we paid and because we both are still in university. We have been living super frugally these last 6 months and have managed to save about $5000 to put towards a house and for an emergency fund, so if this thing is anything close to accurate we'll be halfway to getting a down payment on a nice house and by the time we graduate if nothing changes we should have enough :3:

Being poor and not buying nice things that we want whenever we want it has its benefits sometimes I guess

• Locked thread