Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I like 2015 so far. Somehow managed to evade my New Year's Eve hangover :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

KozmoNaut posted:

Unfortunately for my parents, 23 of their 25 radiators use return valve thermostats, and there are apparently no electronic return valve thermostats on the market. So they'll have to retrofit all of them with conventional valves. But when you're looking at saving ~10% on a $8000/year heating bill, it's probably a good idea anyway.

How big is their house to have 25 radiators! I've got 6 and I hate paying for them!...

How are the valves you have bought controlled? Is there a gateway device that sits on your internet to make the phone app work?

I want to add my radiators and heating into my home automation setup but I h
aven't yet found any affordable valves that work on 433mhz with the transmitter/receiver I have.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I had a £400 saab 9-3. Full pressure turbo auto.

Its a lot of car for your money but you will pay for it. I paid a lot in garage bills and MOT's and every little thing that broke on it cost me £50+. Then the tax will hurt your wallet and feeding it fuel will make you cry.

However, It was a lovely car for cruising around in and the air con worked. I did a lot of long motorway journeys and my record was 101 miles driven without touching a pedal..

Now i've done it once I will never drive a cheap luxury car again...

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

General Wiggles posted:

Cooking is great. Drunk cooking is hit-or-miss; either the best food you've ever eaten, or it ends up as a horrible disaster.

Alcoholchat: For any beer lovers, if you ever stumble upon Tank 7 by Boulevard Brewing Company, please try it. Still one of my favorite beers, and definitely deserves to be a local source of pride.

I made terrible drunken food last night. It started with the intention of being spag bol, but I then found I only had rice so tried to turn it into a chilli. It didn't quite work as either. Now I am about to try and turn the leftovers into something nicer.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Fo3 posted:

Make tortillas and cook some beans up and have with salad tex/mex sloppy joe style.
Or if you haven't mixed any rice or beans with it yet, if you have potatoes turn it into cottage pie. Or roll out some pasta dough and make bechamel sauce and make it into a lasagne.
I'm good with food for poors/cooking because learning stupid things means more booze to get more stupid with.

Nice ideas! All noted for future use. Was tempted by lasagne but went for the easy option of separating it from the rice and having it on toast under cheese. Was much better than yesterday!

Cakefool posted:

The scrapyards of the British Midlands aren't teeming with SBCs, however 4.6l range rover and bmw 540 units are available everywhere.

If he's really married to the American V8 this is an obvious choice, LS4s crate are about £4k And turnkey.

If I was doing a kit car/fun car in the UK I would go 4.6 range rover v8.
Yes they can have issues but they are very cheap and parts are cheap and plentiful.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

the spyder posted:

Ahh. I've got a 2u Dual 6 core X5670, 192GB ECC DDR3, with 12x 512gb SSD's and a 4u (24) 1.5TB 7200rpm SAS array setup in one of our racks at work for that. It's running a combo of vmware/xen/solaris ATM. I actually was planning on removing it this last week, but I don't really have a use for it at home. Plus, work pays for the power/1Gb fiber line.

Thats a nice sounding bit of kit! I'd love to do an SSD array.

I work in educational IT, and this sort of VM chat makes me assume that I must do most of my work with very minimal amounts of kit!

How big are the systems you are running?

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

CommieGIR posted:

loving Windows Server 2012. Theres a bug that causes LanManServer service to hard lock, killing all SMB connections which requires a hard restart of the server as it won't shutdown until LanManServer Service responds....and it won't respond.

I hope they fixed it in 2012 R2, because its that or we move our Domain File Server onto a Linux box like I wanted to do originally.

I am a windows server guy (not deliberately it just happened!) and server 2012 standard is a bag of poo poo compared to 2012 R2. I bet it is fixed in R2.

Any server 2012 standard servers should be reinstalled immediately (and you should remind yourself that early adopters of any new Microsoft OS never ever win..)

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

CommieGIR posted:

Its still a current bug in 2012 R2

I think that means it is now classified as a feature..

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

It's even better for me, because not having a TV means no TV licence, which pays for my Netflix twice over.

Same here. Live TV with adverts is for losers.

I'm stuck paying for a landline to get internet and because I have a business phone number and had to keep it tied to a landline to keep it.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

If you tax it yourself and then cancel/sorn it a few hours later - do you end up paying for 1 full months tax as the minimum term? I haven't done one under the new system yet.

I assume that you could get a one-day insurance policy (that you would need to do anyway to drive it home legally), and specifically state that it is on someone else's car for a test drive or because you are borrowing it (you can do this).

Then drive it home, and don't actually 'buy' it until you get home.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

jammyozzy posted:

I applied for babies' first credit card a few months ago just to build my credit rating and got approved for a £6.5k limit. :catstare:

The only "loan" I've ever had is a student loan, is that normal for a credit card? That's more then I've ever had in my current account at one time.

Was it through your current bank or someone else who spammed you. I've found that your own bank seem to give sensible limits. Anybody else seems to give stupid ones because they are desperate for you to owe them money. I think I got an over £10k limit on my first credit card with someone else (I've always had one with my bank which has a sensible limit on but wanted a second emergency one)

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

jammyozzy posted:

It's not my current bank but wasn't a spam company either. I went shopping for the best one I was likely to get approved for and they came up with that, idk. I pay it off every month, hopefully by the time the 0% interest deal runs out my score will have improved and I'll get something better. :shrug:

I used to stooze on 0% cards a lot after I got my first stupid limit one (back when savings accounts paid interest) Works well if you set up a direct debit to pay the monthly minimum and keep the final payoff value aside (and can be bothered and keep track of it carefully.) probably works wonders for credit ratings too.

The tesco one was the best. Used to fill it using stock purchases for work and get lots of club card points which then converted into free beer every week :)

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

some texas redneck posted:

It's been cold enough that I've had to wear an actual coat twice this winter. WHERE'S THE GODDAMNED SNOW AND ICE AND poo poo

Is that percentage the probability of rain/snow?

I don't think that ever goes down to zero on our UK weather forecasts! (I think the lowest it goes is "<5%")

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

cursedshitbox posted:

same. bitch was pissing me off.

plus they don't like the fact I have two birth names. :v:

I liked the desert road trip/exploration photos you used to post all the time! Come back and post more!

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Its very easy to accidentally use the wrong payment method on Amazon (it has happened a few times on our company amazon account), but your Step dad is a twat for not making it all good straight away with your charges.

someone in AI said they were making this a few weeks ago - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHD10DjxM1g (making a mini aluminium foundry), but I can't remember who or find it with search. Who was it? have you made it yet?

Where can I buy threaded steel gas pipe/thick walled tube in the UK? I want some for this and to make a handrail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

trouser chili posted:

What did you learn?

I bought myself a little hand held gas detector - Amazon link for £25

Proper useful bit of kit to have. I can now check my own appliances, vehicles (LPG) and any gas plumbing I choose to disturb in my house.

• Locked thread