Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Tommychu posted:

My Cat shoes (hey shut up they're the only ones making semi-durable steel toe sneakers these days, and I can't wear actual boots)

Here's me not shutting up (because you are incorrect, sir):

http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing-shoe/6640-red-wing-shoes/6640-red-wing-mens-athletic-black

I'd bet money Red Wings will last longer than some made-in-China rebranded Wolverines (Wolverine makes the Cat and Harley Davidson branded boots, and most of their various brands are made in China or Bangladesh).

Plus Red Wings, like most higher end boots, are made to be resoled and repaired and can last for many years. Mine are over 2 years old and still going strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Motronic posted:

While I appreciate that, I seem to not be able to find my local cobbler's shop anymore.

All three of the large indoor malls in my city (and about half of the strip malls) have a shoe repair place in them, they shouldn't be that hard to find. :confused:

A quick google search for "Portland Shoe Repair" got me a half dozen places right at the top of the page:
https://www.google.com/maps/search/shoe+repair+portland/@45.5424364,-122.654422,11z/data=!3m1!4b1

Surely there has to be at least a few shoe repair places near you?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

Volkswagen made the list. I'm honestly surprised they exceeded the Industry standard.

Even worse, they beat out Dodge and Ford. Interesting.

Read the whole thing: VAG as a corporate entity made it solely because they now own Porsche; VW as its own brand is still where they've always consistently been: below industry average.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

I shouldn't respond to this, but: You know I have you on ignore because you are generally a pretentious rear end, right?

And I don't care.

Ignore is playing the internet on easy mode. :clint:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

blk posted:

I'm trying to learn Adobe Illustrator for a job and ugggggggggggggh it is taking me forever. A friend of mine who's a graphic designer says that a graphic design degree is basically learning to use this poo poo, nothing else.

I used to be an Adobe certified instructor in that and Photoshop. I can pretty much answer any questions you have about it if you wanna hit me up.

I did our wedding invites in Illustrator :shobon:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Rhyno posted:

You know who'd use an iPhone?

HITLER.

No, pretty sure Hitler would make Android the Volkstelefon OS of choice.

He'd then deliver a polemic against the filthy money grubbing Jews and homosexuals and their iPhones.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Raluek posted:

I think we can all agree that, no matter what your preference, your OS is a piece of poo poo.

BeOS was the best OS ever made and I hope everyone who ignored it and never gave it a chance to shine is forever plagued with never ending problems caused by their use of inferior operating systems. :colbert:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

keykey posted:

Tirechat: When you fine people buy tires, where do you go?

I was originally going to order from Tirerack but America's Tire/Discount Tire actually had the better price for my tires (a pair of Michelin Pilot Super Sports for my tears, fronts still had over 5/16 tread on them) in store than what Tirerack was showing for their (before shipping cost) price. And then when I went in, they gave me a huge discount (gave me a pro-rated warranty discount since the outer edges of the tread had a tiny amount of delamination) on replacing my fronts (the new fronts cost me roughly $80 per tire including mount and balance, on tires which usually run about $240-250 each not including M&B).

Ended up with 4 new premium tires for $660 total (would have been over $1000 if I'd ordered from Tirerack and had them mounted locally).

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

keykey posted:

Tirechat: Thanks for the ideas! The Cooper S takes run flats (no spare) and the place I usually get tires at doesn't stock run flats for reasons that the nearest Mini dealership is about 90 miles away. Needless to say, there's not much demand for Cooper S run flats where we're at and I'll be needing to replace them with tax money this year.

Do yourself a favour and get non-runflats and some roadside assistance service (either AAA or something through your auto insurance). Runflats give a terrible, lovely ride and the improvement from switching to normal tires is vast.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Propaganda Bob posted:

I'm gonna buy another mustang, someone stop me.

No.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

More black mirror chat:

:haw:

God I wish I could get my mom to watch anything decent. When I was down at their place this past weekend, it was nothing but a TiVo full of reality shows - mostly horrible stuff like Alaskan Bush People. :(

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Typical Oregon winter here: high in the low 50s, lows in the mid 40s, may or may not be raining at any given moment.

Sucks to live in the... frozen north... I guess? :confuoot:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

88h88 posted:

I'd post a thumbs up smiley here but I'm phoneposting so you'll just have to pretend I did.

:thumbsup:

Posted from my iPhone 6

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Korwen posted:

You should see some of the chemicals black women put in their hair to make it looks smooth instead of curly/frizzy. My SO would sometimes get chemical burns on her scalp if her hairdresser did a poor job. She's much happier with a natural style these days.

My wife used to have Jheri curls back in the 80's, but she had to stop using product because it was quite literally dissolving her hair. She switched to dreads for a long time, and I convinced her to cut the dreads and go natural, and she's so happy she did it.

kastein posted:

Aren't 302s known for breaking in half down the lifter valley at like 350 horse? Tell him to get a GM gen3 V8 and move on with his life.

Yeah, seriously, if he wants an 'All American' V8, and he's not restoring/rebuilding an actual Ford, a SBC is basically always the answer, especially if he can get an LSx. poo poo he could probably get a brand new 425 BHP LS3 crate motor for less than what it would cost to build a 305 up to 325 BHP. There's a reason the small block Chevy V8 has become the stereotypical swap engine - it's the best bang for the buck you can possibly imagine.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

T1g4h posted:

re: Boozechat, can one of you explain what Fireball actually is to me? I've never had it, I'm wondering why it's so drat popular. With the name, I keep thinking it's basically the new Hot drat :v:

It's cheap lovely bottom shelf schnapps from Europe sold as a fancy cinnamon 'whiskey' in the US.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/6067486

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Rhyno posted:

It's nowhere near that bad.

Said by nobody outside of Indiana, ever.

mariooncrack posted:

Do you have a reason to spend that much on a computer? My guess is no based on how you phrased it. Unless you have a specific reason, $1,000 will get you an awesome machine, throw in another $500 if you need keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc., and save the rest for buying tools or parts to fix your drat car.

Quotin' this for truth. $1000 is more than enough for a killer bitchin' desktop.

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jan 11, 2015

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Sperglord Firecock posted:

It is, yes, but I want something that will be able to play top tier games for the next 4 years without even a slight hiccup.

Thing's gonna have two GTX980's.

You're in luck, as my single 4 year old 580 GTX can still play top tier games without a hitch. Before that I got 5 good years out of my 8800 GTX. PC game hardware requirements are fairly stagnant because everything is lazy rear end console ports these days and even a year old midrange graphics card has more power than a brand new PS4.

Also SLI is a dumb gimmicky waste of money. :colbert:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Cage posted:

I wish the crew had a demo of some sort. I would love to bomb around in a offroad style mustang but the feel of the physics in games like that can be hit or miss for me.

From what I've read, the physics aren't great and also it doesn't play well with steering wheels:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/12/running-with-the-crew-trying-not-to-crash/

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Beach Bum posted:

If you have to ask...

I've never really had huge heartburn/AR problems so I don't know what it's like, but I've never had heartburn so bad that I couldn't kill it with a 1000mg Tums with a glass of milk.

If you have acid problems, milk is a terrible thing to drink - milk is highly acidic (more acid than citrus juice) and will just irritate it more. Use water.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

rear end in a top hat casserole posted:

Dude, not even close. Where are you getting your factoids?

rscott posted:

fresh milk has a pH of about 6.7, you are full of poo poo as per usual

Actually, it was something I'd heard a long, long, long time ago and have never looked up or read about since (that milk makes acid reflux worse). Looking it up now, it's not that the milk is acidic, it's that unless you're drinking skim milk, the fat in the milk causes an increase in stomach acid production (as will any fatty food). So if it's skim milk it probably won't make it worse.

So part of the statement I made is still correct (drinking milk when you have heartburn or acid reflux is probably not that good of an idea), but the underlying reason I believed that statement was incorrect. Can't remember where I heard the bit about milk being more acidic than citrus juice, it was somewhere in my childhood and I'd never seen or read anything to correct that mistaken belief until I looked it up just now.

e: I'm beginning to think I've found the reason why old people often make ridiculous/stupid claims: you hear something once in your childhood, never get corrected on it, and then 35 years later you're pretty sure you've heard it somewhere but can't quite remember where. The difference is unlike a lot of old farts, I'm not someone who's unwilling to change his position when presented with contrary evidence. I like to be corrected, as I hate inaccurate info as much as anyone.

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 14, 2015

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Phone posted:

Or you're just full of poo poo, don't know how to duck out, and would rather double down.
:rolleyes:

http://www.healthline.com/health/gerd/beverages

quote:

Because regular cow’s milk contains a considerable amount of fat and is hard to digest, Rodriguez recommends drinking goat’s milk products instead. Like all high-fat foods, full-fat cow’s milk may relax the lower esophageal sphincter, which can cause reflux symptoms.

Opt for the lowest-fat options possible if you have to go with cow’s milk products. The McKinley Health Center at the University of Illinois includes skim milk as part of its recommended GERD diet. The UMMC notes that the protein contained in low-fat or skim dairy products may help strengthen muscles in the esophagus, which can help limit reflux symptoms.

Again, I had heard (somewhere in my childhood, so at least 25-30 years ago) drinking milk was bad for acid reflux, but the root cause of this that I had previously believed was incorrect (that milk was highly acidic, which obviously at a pH of 6.8 is untrue), and I admitted as such. It is good to know that some people define "admitting you made a mistake" as "doubling down", however.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

leica posted:

Not with you on the IPA however, that poo poo is horrible.

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/drink/2013/05/hoppy_beer_is_awful_or_at_least_its_bitterness_is_ruining_craft_beer_s_reputation.html

Cat Terrist posted:

What the ever living gently caress did you do to get that??

Probated Viggen yet again, would be my guess. Seems he's off his meds again.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

InitialDave posted:

Some people think I'm strange because I don't have a TV or a landline phone. Why bother? I can watch anything I want online, and for years I've just used my mobile anyway.

No, that's not strange at all, it's the smartest thing to do. I hadn't owned a TV in a decade up until I bought my current 50" TV, and that's never been hooked up to cable or used to receive a broadcast transmission since it came out of the box - it's solely used to stream netflix, youtube, and amazon prime, and to play stuff from my HTPC and play DVDs/Blu-rays.

More movies and TV than we will ever have time to watch costs us about $80/mo between my internet bill and my netflix sub (the wife bought Amazon Prime for the free shipping, getting the streaming was essentially a free bonus on top of that).

And there's no point in a landline since I rarely get calls anyways, and those I do should probably go to my cell since I always have it with me. All my friends have cells, so even the ones from different area codes don't have to pay long distance charges to call me.

Anyone who hasn't already cut the cord by now is basically living in dinosaur land because they're afraid of change (i.e. my parents). I'm reminded of just how godawful broadcast/cable TV is every time I visit my parents' house and quickly get annoyed by anything on TV constantly getting interrupted by obnoxious commercials every 10 minutes. You have to be a masochist to deal with that poo poo just to watch a TV show.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

keykey posted:

That too. I get calls from friends occasionally saying "WE HAVE TO GO SEE XXXXXXX!!!" I usually don't know what the hell they're talking about, I youtube it and go.. Aaah.. heh.. ok. Although I'm not opposed to going to our local theater these days since they upgraded the theater with a beer/wine counter with appetizers, etc.. you can get a full on meal there now. Also, all seats were upgraded to essentially motorized lazyboy recliners with snack trays and and cup/beer holders. That's been our go to place for movies the past year.

We have several Cinetopias around here. Plush recliners and couches, ottomans to prop your feet on, a good restaurant that delivers your meal to your theater seat, extensive wine and beer menu, and you can even reserve private showings for you and your friends to have a whole theater to yourselves. It'a great.

meatpimp posted:

I haven't seen a movie in a theater for a couple years... and I primarily stream series from HBOGo or Netflix... is it heretical to say that a lot of the contemporary series have as high a production value as film, but with the extreme length (in relation to a 2 hour movie), they actually do a better job of in-depth storytelling?

No, not at all; a bunch of Hollywood filmmakers and actors are going in big for TV (such as David Fincher and Kevin Spacey going all in on House of Cards, partially because they enjoy the freedom the longer format gives them to build up the story and characters).

some_admin posted:

Daughter getting quoted ~550 for distributor for 2002 Honda accord. 160K miles
This is in ski town maybe only place in town (winter park).
This way out of line, and is a distributor the kind of thing that fails on that car?

I'm vaguely surprised a car made this millennium is still using a distributor instead of a coil-on-plug setup. Do Honda engines that new actually have distributors on them? I owned a 2001 Civic for a couple years but I never had to mess with the ignition bits so I never really paid attention and don't really 100% remember what the underhood poo poo looked like, but I seem to recall it not having a dizzy and having coil packs on the plugs.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
That's also the same position you use if you need to remove the clutch master cylinder to rebuild it on an AE86.

BraveUlysses posted:

which location is the best? i think i'll have to try this next time i'm in pdx for a weekend

Don't know yet, as the only one I've been to so far is the Vancouver one, since it's the closest to me. The food and drinks are quite good there, far better than you'd expect from a movie theater (the restaurant has its own seating area for those who want food without a movie). The Vancouver one doesn't have the really huge IMAX style rooms that the other locations here do, so at some point I'll need to go cross town to try the other locations.

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jan 17, 2015

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Apocalypse Now is the best war AI movie.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

88h88 posted:

What a mong.

Thanks for the racism. :rolleyes:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

88h88 posted:

Thanks for not understanding what the insult means. :rolleyes:

meatpimp posted:

You've got to be retarded if you think mongoloid is a race.

Nice.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

88h88 posted:

Again, you're not understanding. Try your google again using the term I used. Then come back and post some more.

You mong.

I bet you think it's ok to say someone 'gypped' or 'jewed' you out of something.
At least Ricky Gervais was decent enough to apologise when people called him out on using it:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2051938/Ricky-Gervais-admits-naive-offensive-remarks-Twitter.html

code:
Etymology:
Contraction of Mongol or mongoloid.

Pronunciation
enPR: mŏng, IPA: /mɒŋ/
Rhymes: -ɒŋ
Noun
mong (plural mongs)

(offensive, pejorative, UK, slang) Shortened version of mongoloid, a person with Down's syndrome

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

CornHolio posted:

[quote="HotCanadianChick" post="440576177"]
I bet you think it's ok to say someone 'gypped' or 'jewed' you out of something.

I never realized 'gypped' was a slur. Is it referencing gypsies?

Yes.

(I didn't know either until a few years ago)

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

kastein posted:

I think "carnie" is universally accepted as fair game though.

Might offend toothless people and/or alcoholics.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

some texas redneck posted:

Pricing thermostats on Rockauto and Amazon. A Duralast from Autozone is $20 w/gasket. The dealer wants $63 without the gasket.

The OEM thermostat is $30 on Amazon, with gasket, shipped. An AC Delco Professional (i.e. someone paid to get the Delco name stamped on it) is $15 on RockAuto, $17 on Amazon shipped. There are also Gates and Stant options on Rockauto and Amazon for under $20. One of the Gates options is listed as "OE Exact".

There's also an outlet seal that I need (since the outlet tube has to be disconnected from the housing), but it's a whole $2.

What Would AI Do<tm>?

Use whichever part is cheapest, since that's what GM did at the factory :v:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

goatse guy posted:

Now I know who I inherited my horrible awkwardness on my feet from.

White people everywhere? :v:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Rhyno posted:

I SPEAK FOR US ALL. I AM THE WHITEST BOY

I just got back from the Portland Comic Con. Apparently all 20 of the black people in Portland like comics because they were all there, including my wife.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Also every form of rock and metal ultimately descends from black musicians like BB King once you go back far enough in the origins (and the guy who taught white people how to do metal solos was Jimi Hendrix, after all), so whites don't get to claim metal or rock of any variety. Dance music of pretty much any form: black people (house music came from a black dude from Chicago, techno was three black dudes from Detroit, etc).

On the other hand, some of the funkiest R&B players of all time are white guys from small town Alabama.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Rhyno posted:

Dubstep, truly the whitest music.

I knew there was a reason I hated it.

e: also you're the only person ITT who will appreciate that I got all my Astro City books signed by Kurt Busiek today.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Rhyno posted:

I said two. Nobodies telling you to stop wearing jorts.

Nobody... except the fashion police!
:siren::siren:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

kastein posted:

For every animal you guys don't eat, I'll eat three.

I'm not throwing 40,000 years of Homo Sapiens evolution down the drain so I can pretend I'm not an apex predator.

Throw an extra rack of ribs on the grill for me.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Maker Of Shoes posted:

3) If you smoke, don't. It permeates a room and hella distracting.

Where do you live/work where they still allow smoking indoors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

rscott posted:

He means before an interview

Ah, makes sense. Back when I smoked, I made sure wherever I was smoking was ventilated and didn't smoke inside the house, but I've known a few people whose clothes smelled like they'd slept inside a burning building because they couldn't resist permeating every object they owned with tobacco smoke.

From the way he phrased it, I was picturing some jerk sitting in front of the interviewer's desk and puffin' out big smoke rings right in the guy's face or some crazy poo poo.

• Locked thread