Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
piss boner
May 17, 2003

Have the day off today. Get up, the wife made breakfast, she has work today and asked what I had planned:
1. Video games, drink beer.
2. Climb through a bunch of yards for some interior bits.
3. Work on my greenhouse.
I told her that any of those are solid possibilities and I would go where the wind took me. An hour after she left for work, she calls and asks if I can drop off a few things she forgot. Oh, and by the way, could you take the daughter to the mall because she is down to her last pair of jeans. FUUUUUUUUUUCK. The mall is 45 miles away + traffic. Back home at 2PM with $200 less in my wallet. It's started raining off and on so #2 & 3 are off the list now.

HotCanadianChick posted:

Ignore is playing the internet on easy mode. :clint:

Realized this was boring as poo poo a while back. A lot of the turds here grown on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piss boner
May 17, 2003

:siren: :yotj: post :siren:

Been applying for a ton of gov jobs in IT the past year, pretty attractive when I can buy back my military years towards retirement and double my annual vacation time. 30 days annual vacation plus 13 days sick leave annual? poo poo yeah. Applying anywhere and everywhere. Wichita? Ann Arbor? North Dakota, population 300? Fuckit, why not, at least I can practice up on interviewing.

Interviewed for a spot in Cincinnati, nailed the tech portion except for some obscure Ricoh printer error, "we'll let you know either way by Friday". That was four months ago. :shrug:

Interviewed last month over the phone for a job 500+ miles away. Again, nailed the tech portion. And then came the scenario crap.
:j: How would you handle a situation where you had four different users who needed your help at once?
:v: I would prioritize according to local policy, there is a written procedure on prioritization, correct?.
:j: And how would you react if one was especially vocal?
:v: I would tell them to stop being a child and they will be taken care of according to policy.
:j: Okay, tell us about a situation that was extremely stressful and how you handled it.
:v: I used to fly repair missions in Iraq, there aren't any stressful situations in the United States.
:j: Okay, tell us what other coworks have told you about your work ethic.
:v: I don't like that question. How do you answer that? Do people actually say things like that to each other? I can't imagine a scenario where anyone would talk like that about another coworker in real life. I really don't like that question.
:j: <sound>10_seconds_of_silence.mp3</sound>
:v: Hello?
:j: Yes, we're here.
That was the jist of it at least. Didn't last much longer after that. Overall, didn't really take it seriously.

Had a few other interviews the same month, did pretty well I thought. Was beginning to become really relaxed, caught myself a few times being too relaxed and familiar with the interviewers. Oh well, good practice.

A few weeks later, received an email for that scenario interview that I had last month. The one where I didn't take the questions seriously. They had an offer. :jebstare:

Then a few hours later, another job offer. Middle of nowhere, Alabama. Didn't even interview for this. Please respond to this email if you would consider taking this position 30 days or less. Signed, random.name@navy.mil. Very official and matched what was listed in usajobs.gov. No interview. So I called random.name's phone from email signature.
:j: Yes, that's correct, we would like to offer the job to you, are you prepared to accept it at this time?
:stare: I'll let you know, k?

:derp:

I took the offer with the most pay and it mirrors almost exactly what I currently earn. Start in a few weeks. My new boss seems cool as poo poo and how he describes it should be a very sweet deal, so I am more than excited. It's middle of nowhere in the South. :banjo: At least the climate should be very similar to what I have currently.

• Locked thread