Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Holy poo poo, I didn't know Cornelius had a son. Welcome aboard.

So sorry about your dad, he was a great guy.
Me either, sorry about your dad "Sir Pukesalot", Sir Cornelius is missed around here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

mariooncrack posted:

Better go buy all of the bread and milk that you can. :smug:

Especially Harvey Milk.
No poo poo, a local dairy here is called harvey fresh, so I can buy Harvey milk.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Tusen Takk posted:

It's currently 3F/-16C here in the great state of michigan and jesus loving christ am I miserable. Parking at school was abysmal and I ended up walking a quarter mile to my classroom. Now I have a 3.5hr break until my next class so I came home and am seriously considering callling it a snow day and making hot cocoa and seducing my wife

Overnight temps in Australia getting as low as 15C, it's pretty chilly here too. Going to be 30C-15C for about the next week

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 8, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

some texas redneck posted:

That's why I posted it. :v: I'd rather be able to laugh at a fuckup instead of kicking myself over it.

At least it was just fresh pizza sauce, not like a chinese master stock or anything.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Cakefool posted:

So a workmate is building a kit cobra, slowly, with jag running gear. I asked him about the engine and he told me he's got "a proper American V8, a big one"

It's a 302, which I believe is a Windsor? He's saving up for a stroker kit ($1100 from the states) then after that, some unspecified amount for "new heads" so the only piece he's saving will basically be the sump and block.

How can I convince him this is a ludicrous waste of money? It is isn't it? Can anyone recommend either how he can get a better v8 cheaper or some better engines he could put in from common European vehicles?

Tell him a random person on the internet said 302s suck?
I don;t know, if going ford for some reason I'll try to get a 351, stronger block and bearings, but if no reason to go ford of course I'd get a LSx.
Otherwise do the blighty thing and shove a rover/buick 3.5l v8 in it.

Rhyno posted:

I am eagerly awaiting the next markdown on this poo poo. When it's $5 a bottle I will buy it all

$5 a bottle makes it almost worth a plane ticket out there for me. Booze is just so expensive here, sucks when you have no money.
I bought the cheapest bourbon I have ever seen for 20 years. Old green label jim beam is being run out. Was $44 a bottle, going down in price every week by 10% until all gone. Bought a bottle for $25.40. No bottle of any spirits is ever that cheap here. Good times, needed it after all the Christmas poo poo.

West SAAB Story posted:

Meet with hospice nurse today. She estimates time left as under two weeks. The last three days of clarity have been the best present I could have hoped for. I still have problems not feeding someone just because they don't ask for food. I can logically understand how the systems are shutting down, and can no longer process it- but at the same time, my internal instincts scream at me to do otherwise.

I really want to get completely blotto tonight, but I am the driver, emotional support, and the new cornerstone. poo poo.

Sorry to read about what you're going through mate. :glomp:

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 10, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Rhyno posted:

Booze is so loving cheap in Indiana, you guys have no idea. I can get a gallon of premium rum for under $20 almost anywhere these days. And if you're okay with lovely rum like Calico Jack it can be had for like $11. ELEVEN loving dollars for a GALLON of rum. Vodka tends to run even cheaper. I got two pints of election themed whiskey for $4 each a while back as well.

Sounds like I could afford food and booze there, unlike here.
I recently I ate for the first time in 48hrs just then. So drat tired all the time I usually can't cook, can't sleep and when I do I wake up feeling like crap and more tired. Stomach has been hurting like hell for a while, so grilled some steak, made a parsley/breadcrumb/anchovy/dijon/egg white crust to bake on the steak after grilling.
Made some mayo with the egg yolks and did a potato salad, (because I have so many potatoes, old celery and parsley, plus some bits of dill in an otherwise empty pickle jar.) It is pretty much a scrounging around type of meal besides buying cheap steak. Though when not buying booze I can buy some pantry items to make something half decent so have a fair bit to work with. The old potatoes, celery and parsley are things I bought before/for Christmas lunches dinner, they just keep for ages in my old cyclic defrost fridge. E: potatoes weren't in the fridge of course, but celery wrapped in foil, parsley in a mug with water and a freezer bag on top.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 10, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Tomarse posted:

I made terrible drunken food last night. It started with the intention of being spag bol, but I then found I only had rice so tried to turn it into a chilli. It didn't quite work as either. Now I am about to try and turn the leftovers into something nicer.
Make tortillas and cook some beans up and have with salad tex/mex sloppy joe style.
Or if you haven't mixed any rice or beans with it yet, if you have potatoes turn it into cottage pie. Or roll out some pasta dough and make bechamel sauce and make it into a lasagne.
I'm good with food for poors/cooking because learning stupid things means more booze to get more stupid with.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 10, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Cakefool posted:

The scrapyards of the British Midlands aren't teeming with SBCs, however 4.6l range rover and bmw 540 units are available everywhere.
It's just a matter of gearbox and drivetrain fitting to one and if any aftermarket EFI could possibly work on one (ie researching if any manufacturer has a default map, has tuning facilities, may be interested in the project for their own benefit etc). Might have been done, might not have, I wouldn't know. If not, get a crate LSx.
It sucks to be the guinea pig, I know that for sure. I was one of the first to run twin 40mm IDFs on a 13B rotary, and one of the first to run haltech EFI on a 12A turbo a long time ago. Lots of time and money wasted not following the norm... Would have been much easier with a single 48IDA and a microtech EFI respectively, but I'm not normal.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 10, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

mariooncrack posted:

Am I the only one here that has a AMD processor? I'm still rocking a 1090T hexcore because for whatever reason I haven't been able to justify a new rig and pull the trigger. Will probably do that after the Broadwell update.
My desktop is a 1090T too. I don't game any more, well new games anyway. Still got a s939 3400+ and win XP box for old games, last consoles I bought were the original playstation and N64. I'm really not into buying much 'stuff' or having the latest and greatest 'anything'.

In winter I use the 1090T desktop (the spare room it's in gets hot in summer, window faces north and no cooling breeze)
During summer, ie right now, I use an old dell core duo laptop out in the sleepout/back of the house add-on, which has more windows including some facing SW to get the cool breeze which makes it the coolest part of the house. There's not enough room for a desktop/amp/speakers/desk and all that crap.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 11, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Raluek posted:

As to your other point, that's why I suggested 1UZ.
That would be good too. Not the most powerful but maybe more plentiful over there compared to US v8s. Good motor but didn't it only come with an auto? If so puts a spanner in the works if they want man trans and keep stock ECU (I don't see the point of Japanese or Euro v8 if modifying, aftermarket ECU or man trans though - US motors are better/easier for that even if initial purchase price is higher).

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 11, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
I messed around with skt370 a lot too. Had a few cu-mine 66fsb up to 100fsb on a bh6 with a slotket.
Also had a dual skt370 motherboard running tualatin celeron 900-1.1Ghz (IIRC - can't remember for sure the highest skt370 CPUs I owned, somewhere around 1ghz and that dual board couldn't overclock or run P3s).
Anyway, they all died the same way, capacitor failure like every motherboard from that period, that's what got me into learning about caps and motherboard/PSU cap failure repair. But I kind of gave up on that as I haven't had a single cap failure on any board since 2008.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jan 13, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Nothing special about socket 7. Super socket 7 on the other hand...

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
I don't get it either.

Wish I had a welder so I wasn't sleeping on a busted bed frame held up by bricks. (Yes I'm a fatty, but the bed is about 20 yrs old)

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

MrChips posted:

Wow that is a terrible beard.

I grew a beard recently, it's all grey. The only part that's not is the mo. So I shaved it off but kept the mo (*terrible confessions).

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
What the gently caress is all this?
I don't even know which sub forum I am in any more.

In other news, ran out of fuel, had a long walk to fill up a jerry can. Now the ute has no power, cuts out under load, probably fuel pump dying.
I'll try the main filter first, but the pump has a fine strainer that may be blocked anyway, even if the pump isn't dying.

Procedure to get to fuel pump/strainer in a falcon ute:
Option 1. Put ute on hoist, disconnect prop shaft, handbrake, brakes etc and move rear axle back, remove fuel tank...

Option 2 remove tray liner, remove whole complete tray bed (in my case means canopy too)

Probably going for option 2 I guess as working under a car with no decent driveway is impossible.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 16, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Beach Bum posted:

The title of the forum contains "insanity", I really don't know why you're surprised that the chat thread is the literal definition of such.

I am insane, just not creepy or a sperg (I think?).

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Nah, it's anger, hatred, self aggrandizing and passive aggressive poo poo.

I spent no money here bar the initial 10bux. I spend it in real life on alcohol and bad decisions.
Too old to care, too poor these days to see the point of it all.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jan 16, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Just when I thought everything was going well, first the fuel pump problem, now centrelink cut off unemployment/sickness pay and healthcare to pay for treatment and stuff.
gently caress knows what I'm doing wrong with them, but there goes my plans.
The system is so hosed you have to be a professional at gaming the system to get anything out of them. I'm useless at it because I have never asked for help before.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jan 19, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
That's the problem I'm having, I applied in person early Nov (after spending all my savings on food and rent), I was knocked back at the office branch, told to do it online instead. I was pretty confused because how the hell can you show an original of your licence/passport or other ID online?
Half the time I tried to use the centrelink site it was down. And in Dec my application was knocked back for not being completed. I did manage to get some stuff uploaded once like medical certificate, bank account etc. Try to call them for help and it's either just an engaged signal or over 1 hr wait.

Anyway, I went back to a centrelink branch office again late Dec and they didn't do much else but book me in for a phone call appointment!?
Apparently I passed that and got two payments from them only, now my payments are terminated due to lack of paperwork/ID stuff.

Both times I went in person (the best/quickest way to hand over originals and paperwork), and they either won't be interested, ie turn you away and say to do it online, or they do take copies - like when I went there the second time and I was insistent-, but doesn't reach the office of the people likely to cancel your payments anyway.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jan 19, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
gently caress off with that poo poo. This is AI, not bash a minority.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Cakefool posted:

I think he means the aussie benefits
Yes he does. Being pulled over for 2 over and being given rough treatment by cops sure sounds like a 'benefit' of living in Victoria, Australia. :v:
gently caress that state.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

meatpimp posted:

What did I miss, was there a deleted or edited post? As it reads, he says if you're 1/64th aborigine it would be easier to get services.
It's not though. Aboriginals don't have a special phone number or internet site or free internet or anything to make it any easier.
I'm far from a SJW or cat lady.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Yeah, Aboriginals had that, until 2004 when it was shut down due to corruption :insert appropriate smiley:

My point was I didn't like someone saying it's easier if you were aboriginal. gently caress, this is AI, where most of us can't stand ignorance (and maybe some of us used to reading other car forums or whatever forums can see how bad it can go)
My problems were with the centrelink website, getting through on the phone and lack of service if you walk in and the discussion was about that.
If you're aboriginal, you're still going to have problems with the website, getting through on the phone, and probably not given much help when you walk in. The comment was uncalled for, and knowing what many car or even general aussie forums can be like, I commented on it to set the tone here, that's all.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jan 19, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Cakefool posted:

You are all terrible people, shut up.

Good news from me once. Fuel pump doesn't seem dead on my ute after running out of fuel last week.
I went as far as removing canopy, liner, and unbolting the tray (that was fun as bolts pretty seized and thought they would snap any second).
But I thought I should try new fuel, so I took a risk and drove it and added 30L. Was a fun drive as it misfired with any throttle and could only go 40km/hr max.
But it seems fine now, I guess the other petrol station I filled the jerry can up with had bad fuel (which is also nice to know).
Other good news is the fuel filter for the ute is the same as my old car and I already had one spare for that.

So now I can spend the $300 fuel pump and filter money on a new roof lining or cat converter which I also need.
Roof lining started to sag since it's been parked stationary in the sun most of the time for the past 2 years.
Cat converter because it's rattling and the ute has been down on power for a while so is suspect.
Years ago I was going to do a plain full exhaust, but got quoted $1100. I knew I could get a full bolt up aftermarket one for that price inc extractors/headers. Only went as far as buying the headers on ebay before backing out and deciding to not spend any money on the ute. But now I need a car to get to centrelink/doctors and get a job, so it needs to be fixed.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 24, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
I haven't seen a suzuki mighty boy for over 20 years. A guy I used to work with in 1991 had one, and he was also working at a car audio place at the time as well.
He had after-market electric windows installed, (fancy back then on a cheap car). A good head unit, a few amps and internal speakers, also had a custom made box with speakers and subs to fit into the tray for parties.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Nah, it was a jerry can I use a lot for lawn mowers, or even used to keep spare fuel in for my ute before. Completely empty and clean when filling. I had in the the ute empty just in case because I know I was pushing the limit, but had no choice because I was late for a medical appointment.
Ute ran out of fuel on the way home from that appointment, so I took the well used and clean can and walked to the nearest petrol station to where I was and filled up 5 L and walked back. Ute started but ran like poo poo. I suspected maybe fuel pump dying and started prepping for a pump change but then thought it's a bit odd that it starts fine if the pump is dodgey. That's when I thought today it may be worth buying some fuel elsewhere before buying a fuel pump.

Maybe the pump is on it's way out, oh well, at least I got all the bolts lubed, and I'm not putting the canopy back on anyway (only had it because of the roof rack for ladders and locking away toolboxes and gas bottles etc inside. But I'm not running a business anymore any way).
Besides, an open top ute is more useful for tall things and rubbish dump trips which is probably what I'll be using it for more now these days, plus a lot more visibility when driving.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 24, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Stop talking about not drinking, you're all making me feel bad.
I'm with 13".
Last night was the first night I stayed up until 5AM for a long time and drunk shitloads. I've been good for a few weeks, but was hell trashed today and now feel terrible. I've ran out of whatever the Dr gave me, it is a long weekend here, was happy about not buying a fuel pump but angry/depressed that centrelink cut me off

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 25, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

fjelltorsk posted:

So. I decided to try going to the toilet on my own. making GBS threads in a bedpan is only fun the first time. I have been sitting here for the last fifty minutes and cant get up.

I should probably call a nurse

I hope you beat it mate.
gently caress cancer.

Cat Terrist posted:

Previous fill up a hulking big V8 sedan best - $86

Tonight - $60. And I was struggling to get any more in. Sixty loving bucks to fill a Commodore???? Dafuq? I havent seen fuel this low in about 15 years?

(99 cents a litre)

Otherwise can this hosed up week end already or I find a huge pile of cash?

It only got down to $1.02 here yesterday as the lowest I've seen it. But I had to get fuel today, got ripped off at $1.17 for some reason.
I guess that's why the petrol stations looked so busy yesterday (we have a working functioning fuel watch system here in WA that reports tomorrows prices)

I spent the day at centrelink with wating around and running around getting all sorts of payslips and birth certificate etc.
They really gently caress you around when claiming unemployment even when it's for medical reasons.
OTOH, some nice person at centrelink was willing to throw money to my partner for no hassle at all because of our kid.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jan 29, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

angryhampster posted:

Buying a house isn't necessarily all it's cracked up to be. The upsides are you can do whatever the gently caress you want, when you want. The downsides are that EVERYTHING costs money and EVERYTHING will eventually break and need to be repaired. Some repairs are super cheap..some cost thousands of dollars and weeks of time. When you buy a house it becomes a hell of a lot more difficult to move as well.

Is it true that mortgage interest is tax deductable in the US, or something along those lines?
gently caress, buying a house in the US seems like a dream. Prices are low because there's so many towns I guess.
Here in Australia everything to do with housing costs more and ages ago when interest was high, we can't claim for interest on a home we live in, but investors can claim on everything for a house they rent out, so we have a situation where every wannabe mogul got into property investment, driving prices up to make it unaffordable for first home buyer.
There is no cheap areas worth looking into here, we all live near the city or coast here (dry and arid continent so every one lives near the capital cities, living outside of them is no cheaper, as outside of the capital cities means it's probably a coastal tourist town or an inland mining town so prices just as high anyway). Pretty much everything is $350k+ unless living in a desert.

Now I'm in the poo poo I know that the only thing that will save other people from being in the poo poo is home ownership. It's not means tested here, so if you own your own home just stop working and get $240 a week from the government. If you don't own your own home before things turn to poo poo, well you get $240 a week even if your rent costs $300 a week. You get less if you have invested in businesses, stocks or whatever and have assets that could be cashed out. But real estate/home ownership is a freebie and a golden ticket. And rents are only going to go up for the people that have to rent, and I doubt the pension or unemployment rate will go up to match.
So down here, buy your own house as fast as possible at all costs, pay off the mortgage and you're on easy street no matter what happens. Even if it needs repairs you can't afford, sell it off and downgrade if necessary, as long as you don't have to pay rent or a mortgage, you are covered for life no matter what happens.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 30, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

IOwnCalculus posted:

Mortgage interest is tax deductible, yes. It's not huge since it just reduces your taxable income (as opposed to a tax credit that actually reduces your taxes) and only comes into play if you itemize deductions... but you'd have to have a drat small mortgage bill to still come out ahead by not itemizing.

Yeah i meant the interest, I edited my above post. Would have been handy down here in the 1990s with 17% interest

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

angryhampster posted:

Prices in the US are either low or high depending on where you live. I live in an area that wasn't really affected by the recession in '08/'09. Prices here have been pretty stable for the past decade, but they're on the high side compared to the rest of the state because it's a 'trendy' town. I personally wanted to live away from town and commute 30-40 minutes to work. It would have gotten us a bigger place with more land for about the same price. My wife hates commuting, so we wound up finding a place in town with a decent garage and yard that made me happy enough.

We paid ~$140k for our 1300sq ft (120 sq meters) place. In nearby rural areas, we could have paid $120k for something similar. In some areas of the country (especially near LA or the northeast megalopolis) our place would go for $300k or more.

And that's low.
You need 350k here minimum unless in the desert.
Areas I rent in for lovely loving nowhere Perth is $800k-2mil. If you wanted to move an hour or two away, it's still 350k-600k. If you wanted to move 5 hrs away, still the same...
There are no cheap places, because either tourist town, mining town, or chain reaction on prices.
I wanted to move to Mt Barker WA (google map it to see how far from Perth and the coast it is) to get out of this mess as you could buy a house for $200k, but it all fell through (my partner would not move there as too far from family and friends, also had no confidence in me getting work there) so I've got nothing now and gave up on life.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 30, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
If you're like my parents, never pay off their $40k loan (on a house worth 800k now), just keep borrowing against it because then you can buy a new car, go on holiday, refurnish the house or get new roofing, floor coverings etc on a low low low mortgage interest rate instead of a personal loan or credit card interest rate.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Cat Terrist posted:

HAHAHA with QLD LNP looking like they are being booted, our Shitlord of a Prime Minister HAS to be in huge trouble and be booted :D

gently caress Yeah!
http://www.abc.net.au/news/qld-election-2015/results/

Look at how many seats are being lost by the LNP and going to Labor http://www.abc.net.au/news/qld-election-2015/results/changing-seats/

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jan 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Weather chat, thank gently caress it's raining here.
Low pressure systems been hogging the north of the country, doing their tropical cyclone thing. Means down here a high pressure system has been camping out giving us nothing but desert easterly winds with 35-39C days and no evening relief.
Thank gently caress a low has moved down and given us some cooler weather. I don't mind the hot days but usually here near the coast you get a cooling westerly breeze in the afternoon. But not with these tropical lows up north and a high camping out in the bight.
I can finally get to work on my ute to get it back in the road now it's not so stifling hot!

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 1, 2015

• Locked thread