Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Powershift posted:

doesn't seem that bad here, but jesus tittyfucking christ is it cold. it's that perfect combination of super cold and super windy and super humid that makes it feel like the wind is ripping your skin off.

-35 Friday morning. -7 today, dropping to -10 and snowing 15-20 cm overnight. Then dropping to -15 by morning, with another 5 cm of snow, then down to -33 for Monday morning.
I love being Canadian, but ffs winter, eat a bag of moosecock this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

Still have my Abit bp6 dual celeron motherboard. Complete with dual 400's that ran at...poo poo, can't remember, 533 or 566 or some insane poo poo. I had so many fans in that case it sounded like a combine.
Last I checked (3 years ago) it still booted/ran. With my Win 2k install on there.
Those were the days.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Sandbagger SA posted:

I spun some tires last night

Be careful if you're going to drive on the beach. Holy crap it was hard to get out of there.

Just threw another 3 hours into it. Playing leap-frog-truck repair hauling broken poo poo through rivers to get them to gas tanks to fill them up to haul a gas trailer up a hill to fill up a larger truck and and and...

I can't believe I'm at like 45 hours into this game. Its so zen for me.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

keykey posted:

#54: Kitchen Gadgets - http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/02/05/54-kitchen-gadgets/

Sous vide is that to the next level of buying unnecessary poo poo just to say,"Yup, that's a pretty good steak."

I resent that link hahah.
Our Mixer gets used a ton, and we've used the waffle iron at least twice a month since we got it ;)
But both of us cook/bake a lot.
Its why I'm fat and out of shape.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Just put in a request as well from a mostly-lurking Canagoon.

More fun ways to pass the day :P

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Adiabatic posted:

So the stoichiometry of oil- and coal-fueled power plants has a surprising amount in common with cars, and a very surprising amount different.

Anyone else think power plant boilers are cool, or have I found yet another really boring thing to sperg out on?

I'm a huge nerd (albeit more on the "ooh big shiny" then the math of it) for any industrial-sized...anything, really. I used to love the boiler room in school as a kid, and I love getting tours of any kind of power-generating facility. So nerd out (and convert it to english for us math-poor folks) :P

Seriously, I can't get calculus. I'm a terrible nerd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Adiabatic posted:

Right now I'm using data from the PLC output to plot different emissions as they pertain to mass of oil injection, coal feed, and limestone feed. Also other random poo poo like gross MW and mass steam flow to the turbine. Using this data we're standardizing boiler startup as best we can so we can meet the EPA's restrictions on air emissions (A Good Thing TM)

It's a really neat process. You use oil as starter fluid for the boiler, because the bed temp has to get up to a certain point before large amounts of coal can "roll" :haw: Oil has a shitload of sulfur dioxide byproduct and we're trying to lessen that by making up new ways to heat the boiler bed faster so we can switch over to coal sooner.

Limestone apparently does wonders for emissions and I have no clue why, but they use a bunch of it (~10% of the coal feed) and you can just watch the sulfur, NOx, and CO emissions plummet when we feed limestone. We found out yesterday, however, that Limestone will jack SO2 emissions through the roof if we feed it in before the bed is up to temperature, hence the search for faster bed heating methods.

The basic air/fuel ratio is there just like in cars, but it's hard as poo poo to get right and varies wildly with solid fuels. We take for granted the ease of which octane (and other liquid fuels) burn steadily. They have a bunch of different methods of pulverizing or superheating coal to take that variability in stoichiometry in their favor, but it's still hard as poo poo.

This also has the added problem of "fuel timing". Where in a car you use the throttle as air input and fuel "follows" through base-mapping or PID control (closed-loop via the O2 sensor), both the air and solid fuel have to be on PID control in a coal boiler. Temperature is super critical and there's a huge process to get it up to around 1800 degrees F and keep it stoich the entire time.

And that's just the freaking tip of the iceburg. There's so much auxiliary equipment that's been added to the intake and exhaust on both the air and feedwater (think "turbocharging" on both sides of both systems, and then think intercooling/interheating as well) to make the thing more efficient and it's all as exciting as learning about how turbos work for the first time.

Oh also :coal:

That's actually really cool. Sounds like poo poo I would've loved in Uni from the environmental side. I did a lot of work measuring pollutants in water sources down(wind/river/etc) from power plants and industrial areas. Its fascinating how much work goes into making things as efficient as possible. Its interesting that Limestone at sub-optimal temperatures would spike SO2 emissions - any clue where that spike comes from? Is it a chemical binding of agents that would otherwise bind to the sulfur in the coal or additives, or something retarding a combustion process resulting in a substantial increase in SO2 emissions?

Also, from what I'm reading here, my dream of converting an old jeep to Coal is a bad call? :)

• Locked thread