Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So does anyone here know how to make a non-HDCP compliant tv compliant? I just got a giant old 50" Nakamichi plasma for free and of course it's non compliant so the DVI input isn't working with the cable box or PS3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Geirskogul posted:

An hdmi splitter, or one of those rca audio extractors, in line.

Already have a (sony) splitter and it still is not working :confused:

Any particular splitters that will strip HDCP bullshit?

[edit] Wait, DVi doesn't support sound does it? gently caress this seems like more trouble than it's worth.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jan 3, 2015

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Siochain posted:

-35 Friday morning. -7 today, dropping to -10 and snowing 15-20 cm overnight. Then dropping to -15 by morning, with another 5 cm of snow, then down to -33 for Monday morning.
I love being Canadian, but ffs winter, eat a bag of moosecock this year.

Rode the scooter to work in shorts and a t shirt today :dance:

gently caress that cold weather bullshit.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Geirskogul posted:

ATGATT amirite? :cool:

Actually I wasn't wearing flip flops this time so I guess I hosed up? I did have sunglasses on tho.

Also I seem to be having horrible luck with electronic devices, anyone happen to know why the brand new JBL Charge speaker I bought seems to not like certain non bluetooth MP3 players through the aux input? My old Sandisk Sansa is barely audible with both devices turned all the way up.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

some texas redneck posted:

The manufacturers of the players assume they'll be used with earbuds (which barely use/handle any power at all; we're talking milliwatts) instead of traditional headphones (which have larger speakers, and thus, need more power); they put out power in the milliwatt/millivolt range these days.

A really good way to test this: get a set of cheap over-ear headphones. Try them on your Sansa. Then try them on a 90s Walkman. Crank up the Sansa as high as it can go, and you'll be able to carry on a conversation with the headphones on. Crank up the Walkman with the same headphones, and your ears will be ringing so bad that your neighbors will be shouting at you to answer that drat phone already.

Or try it with earbuds that you don't mind frying. I've already roasted one pair with a 90s Walkman I snagged from ebay. I just need to get some Journey cassettes for it.

I'd try that test if I had a 90's walkman :v:

Kind of a bummer about the Sansa, but tomorrow I'm picking up a Samsung Galaxy player for 30 bucks so I just solved my problem :)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I had to wear pants today because it's cold, wtf is going on.

At least I didn't poo poo myself to death I guess.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just got my first Android device and Jesus Christ it's worse than my computer with the little nagging issues already. gently caress.

[edit] recommend me some good apps (got torque already) I could use a few good racing/car games and whatever else is worth downloading that isn't crap.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 10, 2015

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah only free games for me.

Could use a decent antivirus/malware/cleaner app, I downloaded Clean Master and it's more of an add for more loving apps.

And basically any advice to keep it from taking a poo poo and/or running too slow, it's a Galaxy Player.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

ssjonizuka posted:

Basically don't download poo poo apps, and you should be ok. The new launcher may actually help too.

That's the problem, knowing what apps are poo poo and which ones aren't.

Going with the Nova launcher, thanks.

[edit] gently caress, says my device isn't compatible with Nova.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 10, 2015

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Alarbus posted:

Odd, what phone did you buy?

If you're only installing things from the Google Play Store, you don't need an anti virus, and you no longer need task killers either. Beyond whatever social media apps, I have Awful, Kindle, Netflix, and Chrome, really. I don't really play games, it's web or media. I stored some movies in memory, so I have VLC too, in case the tablet battery dies while flying somewhere.

Not a phone, it's a Samsung Galaxy Player that's about a year or two old. Basically an Android phone without the phone part :v:

Not sure why that would make a difference, but I've gotten that response for a few different apps I tried downloading so who knows.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Alarbus posted:

It's a combination of software versioning, and device identification, unfortunately. I think the Galaxy Player is also a few years old, too?

Yeah they have been discontinued for awhile now. Got this one for $30 in great condition so I can't complain, maybe I'll eventually root it for shits and giggles just to see how far I can go with it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Anyone here have any firsthand experience with Suzuki G13 and/or G16 engines? They're in the Swifts, Samurais, some Geo Metros, the Tracker, etc.

I owned a Suzuki Swift Gt with the twin cam, put a header and exhaust on it and beat the living poo poo out of it. Took the abuse in stride, never had any issues with it, great little motors IMO.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Fireball is a fad and will disappear as quickly as it appeared. Just like Aftershock and Goldschlager did.

We still have an old bottle of Goldschlager in our cooler at the bar and no one has asked for it as long as I have been working there (4 years) and people are starting to ween off the Fireball now. Thank god.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Liquid Cocaine Cocktail Recipe

1 oz. Goldschläger

1 oz. Rumple Minze

1 oz. Jagermeister

1. Don’t, under any circumstances, find yourself in possession of any
of these bottles (let alone all three).

2. If that does happen, proceed to pour them all into a glass, one at a time.

3. Think long and hard about the consequences of drinking this.

4. Chase with bleach.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Sperglord Firecock posted:

My regular laptop has died completely, unfortunately.

Needs more WD40.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Sperglord Firecock posted:

It is, yes, but I want something that will be able to play top tier games for the next 4 years without even a slight hiccup.

Sounds like you have your priorities in order.

No hiccups in this (mom's) house :colbert:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

If you guys keep giving him computer advice we'll have TWO wells to piss in :allears:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Oh my god that's a horrible combination.

I can get hosed up just as well on tasty beer and liquor, thankyouverymuch.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

All Is Lost is a great movie if you don't mind hardly any dialog.

I tried watching Black Mirror but I can't get past the accents and not being able to understand half the poo poo they're saying.

[edit] If that's what UK goons think of American TV I don't blame you, I can't loving do it.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jan 12, 2015

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

wallaka posted:

So what happens when you're in love with somebody and they're in love with you, except when they drink they turn into a huge loving rear end in a top hat full of self-loathing that egg you on to punch them in the face super hard?

You get out of life what you tolerate, and one thing I never could was rear end in a top hat drunks and violent women that try to get you to fight them.

If you don't do something it's not going to end well.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Could somebody re post that TV review/comparison site that was posted awhile back? IIRC Motronic posted it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yep that's it, thanks bud.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

goatse guy posted:

I tried out the Liquid Cocaine shots recipe that Leica posted a few pages back. That was a mistake and I think my phone needs a breathalyzer attached to it.

You forgot the bleach chaser didn't you :colbert:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

drat I've had good luck lately with craigslist, just sold a bunch of poo poo for the asking prices with no haggling, and just picked up a set of Yakima towers, crossbars and cargo carrier for $130 in like new condition because I ended up knowing the guy that was selling it! Now all I need is a hitch and hitch mount bike rack and the Camry is ready for camping hells yeah gently caress SUV's.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

What up shorts buddy :hfive:

Not with you on the IPA however, that poo poo is horrible.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Fall/winter/spring is incredible in FL, and the summers really aren't that bad on the coast.

I made a mistake buying a scooter because now I want a Supermoto even worse now, the weather has been perfect for riding :smith:

Still have a Miata for that too though :unsmith:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

But you're a mod, can't you find out for sure?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

But you don't have to pay to change it do you?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

T-Square posted:

I miss my Suzuki DRZ-400SM the most, by-far, out of anything I've owned so far, car or otherwise. Eventually I'm going to try my damnedest to find a way to get my '94 Honda CR-250 street legal and/or "street legal" and throw some supermoto wheels and tires on it. That thing would be downright scary on the street. Also, you can get into trouble with a scooter if you try hard enough!

My dream bike right now is the Yamaha WR250X, I'll have one eventually but they are so rare I'll probably have to go out of state to get one :(

[e] Also yeah, already getting into trouble on the scoot :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

NitroSpazzz posted:

I picked up a 2009 WR250X last February and haven't ridden it nearly enough. It's likely going on local craigslist late February or Early March. Located in TN but could drive a couple hours if needed if either of you are interested.

drat would love to but it's probably gonna be awhile util I can afford one. How much are you gonna ask for it out of curiosity, because the few I've seen around here were way over priced.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

NitroSpazzz posted:

The amount people ask for them is stupid but they can be hard to find. If I remember right I paid $3200 for it, I'd sell it for the same. Of course I'll be listing it for $4k or so this spring and still be lower than a majority listed.

Yeah, something tells me I'm going to end up with a DRZ if I can't find one reasonably priced, but that's ok I guess.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

T-Square posted:

Just curious, why are you opting for a WR over a DRZ? I loved everything about my DRZ and have never been a fan of the WRs at all. I think they look goofy, and there's the whole 250 versus 400 part.

I think WRs look better, and I want FI. Also better mpg and ease of maintenance. power is not a big concern for me

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Platoon is the best war movie :colbert:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

T1g4h posted:

I am probably a terrible person for saying this, but I really didn't like that movie. At all :(

Were you stoned and/or drunk? It helps.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Fat bikes are great for the beach, they roll over deep sand like butter. Been seeing a lot of them around here.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Don't know if anyone else watches football, but I'm a Packer fan and the game yesterday was probably the most brutal loss I've ever seen by them and I've been watching games since the horrible Lynn Dickey era. I usually don't get too upset by football games but Jesus this was a hard one to take, I've never seen a game just given away by a myriad of mistakes in the final minutes before. Unbelievable.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The Pats are going to win because the Seahawks shouldn't even be there.

Thought I'd be over it by today. loving football :smith:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

If the Packers lost like the Colts it would have been a lot easier to accept.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Gorson posted:

Lynn Dickey was good, the rest of the team was terrible.

Fair enough, but he's honestly the only player I remember from that era, I was probably ten years old watching those games. Forrest Gregg, uuugh.

quote:

Placing most of the blame for this one on McCarthy.

Agreed. Not going for it on 4th and inches for a touchdown twice in a row left me knowing it was going to bite them in the rear end. Never mind the defense dominating all day then going into conservative mode when the hawks were coming back. I don't get his style of coaching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

In retrospect I should've just attacked people with entitlement issues but the barrage of people whining about lovely tips got under my skin today.

Ah yes, the classic tips argument that no one ever wins sounds like fun!

• Locked thread