Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Thauros posted:

It sucks that Gedo doesn't qualify because he's still a wrestler. Not sure who my third person on the ballot would be in additon to Heyman and Tharpe. Lana or Steph I guess.

I put CM Punk.

He's not a wrestler anymore. :v:

Part of me wants to go into the MMA Awards and just put Punk down for every category.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Everyone remember to vote New Age Outlaws as worst tag team. They were active for more than a quarter of the year as tag champs. :geno:

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

bradzilla posted:

Everyone remember to vote New Age Outlaws as worst tag team. They were active for more than a quarter of the year as tag champs. :geno:

My first draft had the Usos on both lists

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Reminder that Rolles Gracie and Daniel Gracie were a tag team in NJPW that sucked really badly.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
I'm only going to advocate Tomohiro Ishii for most outstanding. His matches this year were insane. He might not be the total package like Tanahashi but for pure in-ring work he had the best year

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

the three best wrestling shows this year in order were BOLA night 2, night 3, and night 1

i will keep you posted if black cole sun is superior

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

oatgan posted:

the three best wrestling shows this year in order were BOLA night 2, night 3, and night 1

i will keep you posted if black cole sun is superior

It is but it's not probably not gonna ship until after the voting period is over. I figured PWG doesn't really qualify for 'major' show so it only really affects my #3 vote for MOTY on this ballot.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Grozz Nuy posted:

It is but it's not probably not gonna ship until after the voting period is over. I figured PWG doesn't really qualify for 'major' show so it only really affects my #3 vote for MOTY on this ballot.

the submission period is open through january 24th and i'm in no hurry to submit my ballot

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

For Your Consideration: Best Move 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39mz6nr2wW4
Cesaro Swing - Cesaro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyA_EKhggns
Croyt's Wrath - Kenny Omega
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-nON0Z-OEY&t=379s
Stalling Suplex-Brian Cage

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

I Before E posted:

For Your Consideration: Best Move 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39mz6nr2wW4
Cesaro Swing - Cesaro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyA_EKhggns
Croyt's Wrath - Kenny Omega
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-nON0Z-OEY&t=379s
Stalling Suplex-Brian Cage

BEST MOVE
:siren:Styles Clash:siren:

It protects the business because it looks so good. There are a lot of moves that don't look like it hurts the opponent (Honma's headbutt, Cesaro's swing) but the Styles Clash looks like it hurts because it does actual physical harm to the opponent.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC

drat, wish I would have saw this post before I cast my ballot

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

IN CASE YOU FORGOT: WORST MATCH OF THE YEAR

Kaz vs Crazzy Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQyvDw2M2Kg

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Thauros posted:

The chops were actually in the second match after his massive improvement.

Big Daddy Yum Yum's first match in Japan (New Beginning Hiroshima):

His second (New Beginning Osaka):

This isn't a joke guys. Just think about how awesome he could be with another tour under his belt.

he's improving at an EXPONENTIAL RATE :aaaaa:

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Doo-Wop Duodenum posted:

IN CASE YOU FORGOT: WORST MATCH OF THE YEAR

Kaz vs Crazzy Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQyvDw2M2Kg

i dont see what is bad about that match at all.

you must hate dadaist fun

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Zyla posted:

i dont see what is bad about that match at all.

you must hate dadaist fun

This was Kaz's last match in TNA.

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

I could only think of two notably lovely companies. I can only assume Wrestle-1 sucks, I do not know it for a fact. And GFW doesn't count.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Sting's final TNA match was a classic TNA clusterfuck of overbooking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV8FFgO05Z4

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Xerzes posted:

I could only think of two notably lovely companies. I can only assume Wrestle-1 sucks, I do not know it for a fact. And GFW doesn't count.

WWE completely wasting a talented roster over the past 6 months made it worthy of the #1 spot even though it was more mediocre than outright bad.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Xerzes posted:

well wrestle-1 talent is in tna in vice versa and co pomoted bound for glory.

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

I Before E posted:

WWE completely wasting a talented roster over the past 6 months made it worthy of the #1 spot even though it was more mediocre than outright bad.

I meant that WWE and TNA were obvious. Couldn't really think of a good candidate for third.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Xerzes posted:

I meant that WWE and TNA were obvious. Couldn't really think of a good candidate for third.

NECW is one of the shittiest promotions I've been exposed to this year, and has at least 1 WMOTY nomination in the thread, so that might be worth some consideration.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Giant Pharaoh for Most Outstanding Wrestler.
Manhattan Sandwich Co. for Best Promotion.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

The two feuds that immediately pop into mind for Worst Feud consideration are Ambrose/Wyatt for succeeding only in making me care much less about both guys involved and YTR vs Minoru Suzuki for lasting way too drat long and wasting Suzuki's talents.

What terrible feuds am I overlooking?

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

Thauros posted:

The two feuds that immediately pop into mind for Worst Feud consideration are Ambrose/Wyatt for succeeding only in making me care much less about both guys involved and YTR vs Minoru Suzuki for lasting way too drat long and wasting Suzuki's talents.

What terrible feuds am I overlooking?

Paige vs AJ was also notable.

edit: notably bad lol owned

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Kane vs Daniel Bryan, while not very long, was poo poo.

Brie Bella vs Nikki Bella

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Kane vs Daniel Bryan, while not very long, was poo poo.

Brie Bella vs Nikki Bella

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

John Cena vs Bray Wyatt was also exceptional in its shittiness.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Fandango/Summer/Layla dragged out for like 4 months and it felt like 4 years

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Does Cena vs Brock count for being insanely predictable and repetitive outside the match at SummerSlam?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

KungFu Grip posted:

Does Cena vs Brock count for being insanely predictable and repetitive outside the match at SummerSlam?

That Summerslam match was one of the best WWE moments of the year so I can't hate on it too much though.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Heel Dixie Carter vs. Heel MVP for control of TNA is absolutely the worst feud of the year producing some of the worst shows, matches, and promos of 2014

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
I voted, despite barely watching any wrestling not on the WWE Network this year.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION - Ricochet for Most Outstanding

If you spend time thinking about it, Ricochet might have had one of the most random years in memory. His accomplishments merit his consideration as the Most Outstanding Wrestler of 2014. Let me list them:

First ever gaijin champion in the Toryumon Gym Champion/Open the Dream Gate lineage. PAC was never one. Neither was Matt Sydal, Jack Evans, El Generico and neither will Uhaa Nation if the WWE rumors are right.

(Matches involving Dream Gate worth watching: Ricochet vs Masato Yoshino 3/2 Osaka, Ricochet vs Uhaa Nation 3/6 Korakuen, Ricochet vs YAMATO 5/5 Aichi)

Fourth ever gaijin winner of Best of the Super Juniors, putting him up there with Wild Pegasus (Benoit), Black Tiger II (Eddy Guerrero), and Prince Devitt. This was also done as an outsider.

(NJPW matches worth watching are him vs KUSHIDA in the Super Juniors Finals and him vs Kota Ibushi)

DGUSA/WWN might have had a tenuous year, but Ricochet ended Johnny Gargano's multi-year reign and had several successful defenses before dropping it back to Gargano

(I don't watch DGUSA/WWN but have heard great things about Ricochet v Gargano from WrestleMania Weekend)

He won PWG's Battle of Los Angeles against one of the stronger fields in recent memory. He's being placed as the ace of of Lucha Underground going into 2015.

Has anyone in recent memory have as decorated of a year as Ricochet has across so many companies while putting on fantastic matches in each place he goes?

NotQuiteQuentin fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 3, 2015

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I forget what the difference between Wrestle of the Year and Most Outstanding Wrestler is. Also, is the 2014 MOTY thread still around? I'm having trouble remembering bad matches...

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Good Listener posted:

I forget what the difference between Wrestle of the Year and Most Outstanding Wrestler is. Also, is the 2014 MOTY thread still around? I'm having trouble remembering bad matches...

Think of WOTY as the total package (not Lex Luger). Promos, ring work, overness, and accomplishments.

MOW is for ring work only.

2014 MOTY thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3600087

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Daniel Bryan posted:

Think of WOTY as the total package (not Lex Luger). Promos, ring work, overness, and accomplishments.

MOW is for ring work only.

2014 MOTY thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3600087

Thanks!

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'd consider a few NXT moves for best move. Sasha's Bank Statement (backstabber/crossface), Buddy Murphy's stalling deadlift suplex, and Kallisto's whatever the gently caress that corner assisted tope was a few weeks back.

Also The Gator Roll Designed to Disorient Your Opponent, of course. :v:

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!
We've received 29 ballots already, which is great, and while there are a couple of categories that are pretty much already decided, most of the awards are still very much up for grabs. Many of them are within a single vote, or just flat-out tied. Voting is still open, and will remain so until midnight on January 24th.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

Buddy Murphy's stalling deadlift suplex

I already posted Brian Cage's stalling suplex with squats, which is far superior not just because of the squats but because Brian Cage defies natural law in his physiology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

sticklefifer posted:

I'd consider a few NXT moves for best move. Sasha's Bank Statement (backstabber/crossface), Buddy Murphy's stalling deadlift suplex, and Kallisto's whatever the gently caress that corner assisted tope was a few weeks back.

It's real good

• Locked thread