Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

ColdPie posted:

No Mr Domino run????

He cannot be stopped (in our hearts)

I'm sure there'll be plenty more classic moments in AwfulGDQ. It's easily become my favourite part of the marathon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

no power shovel either :smith:

Power Shovel needs a comeback because they didn't clear the game the first time. They only cleared the special challenge mode. They need to do the arcade mode in which the shovel fights a volcano (or digs a trench to stop lava; same difference really).

Power Shovel is the best game that the marathon introduced to me. It's really a lot of fun to play...

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I hope I can stay up long enough to catch that four-way Mega Man X race. That sounds like my absolute jam.

Also looking forward to Shovel Knight, four-way Mario World, and Super Mario RPG. That four-way GoldenEye race sounds great too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

I don't care for 99% of RPG runs to begin with; even when they go off the rails like they should, there's often a lot of repetition and down time which winds up going on for hours. The Fire Emblem games strike me as just about the worst RPG out there for an interesting speedrun. I'm sure it can be done well, it just can't be done repeatedly and on demand like is necessary for a marathon.
I'm friends with the guy who has the FE6 speedrun on SDA. The ideas behind the run - the planning, what units to use, what to do on each map, etc - are interesting to fans of the series, but even though I know the guy and talked to him throughout his planning for the run, I've never made it more than twenty minutes into the actual video of the run.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I will continue to be amazed and depressed at how many donations kill/save the animals will bring in.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Endorph posted:

Why is there a Fire Emblem game scheduled? The last one was a catastrophe, and as a fan of the series, FE games have to be some of the most uninteresting speedruns in the world to actually watch, even if the planning behind them can be interesting if you know the games.

Oh my god, it could be Radiant Dawn. :stare: Path of Radiance might be okay (if RNG cooperates, which is about as far from a guarantee that you'll ever get), but holy poo poo, RD would be absolute trainwreck of the highest order and now I want to see it happen.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

The last game of the event not being a JRPG is weird. Other than that, hyped!

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Looking forward to Shovel Knight and Transistor speedruns. Also glad there are more arcade games being run.

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
Though it is fairly recent, Crypt of the Necrodancer was designed in part with speedruns in mind, so I will be looking out for that one. Especially so if a bard run is as stupidly fast as I think it would be.

Also, Perfect Dark is likely going to be worth seeing, as the Big Bossman's run of Goldeneye 007 with RWhiteGoose (BABY) from last year was excellent. Get hype!

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Binding of Isaac is really a quandary. Vanilla BoI/Wrath of the Lamb is just pure randomness and comes with all the shittiness of Flash. Rebirth lets you eliminate all of that randomness with the unfortunate effect of also eliminating all the challenge, since you just pick a seed that gives you the items you want early.

As for RPG runs, the best one I've seen was FF6. FF7 is probably interesting as well. I have low hopes for Fire Emblem, though. I am glad they're doing Zelda instead for the finale; that is going to be a good run.

E: Why is Sneak King in AwfulGDQ? Sneak King is great.

Double Punctuation fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 1, 2015

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I would love to see an Isaac race where the seed is randomly chosen an hour before so the participants only have a limited amount of time to explore and route beforehand.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Is there a video of the last FE speedrun attempt? I feel like I have to witness this carcrash, the Double Dragon Advance run from last year wasn't enough.

Unrelated, I had no idea there was a game based on TekWar. Is it a point-and-click or sometyhing?

The Double Dragon Advance run dying was great. Didn't an enemy get hit out of bounds and he just couldn't complete it?

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

ModeWondershot posted:

Though it is fairly recent, Crypt of the Necrodancer was designed in part with speedruns in mind, so I will be looking out for that one.

Same here. I'm wondering how that one's going to be speedrun. Also looking forward to the Awful Games block -- Karnov in particular.

I designed another Save The Animals shirt this year, but with a bit of a twist.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Artix posted:

Oh my god, it could be Radiant Dawn. :stare: Path of Radiance might be okay (if RNG cooperates, which is about as far from a guarantee that you'll ever get), but holy poo poo, RD would be absolute trainwreck of the highest order and now I want to see it happen.

Both of them have really safe speedruns in comparison to most of the other games in the series. BXP lets you get away with a lot and prevents you from ever really being RNG screwed. Also the game gives you a ton of units that are really easy to just win with.

FE10 is literally Sothe/Volug->Haar->Haar->Harr->Royals.

CarpetCrawler
Feb 18, 2013

Work has me scheduled during pretty much all of the runs I was wanting to see (Awful Games, NES blocks) so I'm kinda bummed about that. :smith: Sure, I could watch the VOD, but it's not the same at all!! Really good schedule this year though, the committee did a pretty great job of mixing in favorites/popular games with obscure stuff!! And hopefully Mike Uyama is able to make an appearance considering his recent health issues.

Also, F-Zero megablock will be interesting.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

Kelp Plankton posted:

Well, gotta sleep at some point. That sounds like a good chance to do it.

NO SLEEP ALLOWED!

Seriously though, figuring out when is always an issue during AGDQ. Can't wait for it!

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Best RPG run is Chrono Trigger.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Actually it's Wild ARMs 1

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Dr. Dos posted:

Kill the animals, and let's get some Lunk donations in again. It's been too long.

I agree with the latter half of this post.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I wanted to go to this years AGDQ but I simply lacked the funds in doing so. I would have loved to see Trihex, or Pheenoh and others being there at the hotel or going out to Burger King and talking about stuff, but once again I cannot go to the event. Christmas is over, and the New Year us brought upon us; the only thing I expect next is AGDQ. These are people at the top of their craft, doing live entertainment. Some games people may know and love have mind-boggling exploits and tricks. If you haven't experienced an AGDQ I have two questions to ask you: Why? and will this year triumph over the last? It's in 3 days.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Wish I could see either Ye Olde La Mulana, or new La Mulana Hell Temple runs. I liked the La Mulana run last year :(

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Hey when the streams are going on Youtube this time around afterwards, can they be at least put in playlists seperated for each event? Gets a bit hard to sort through the channel when it's all out of order clips in the main upload area and no organized playlist.

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
So, when's professional YoCo?

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Gamma Nerd posted:

Actually it's Wild ARMs 1

I said best RPG run, not best RPG.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Mad Fnorder posted:

So, when's professional YoCo?

Bonus Stream. Medibot is doing stuff at the event but its nebulous as to what else and when.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Shabadu posted:

Bonus Stream. Medibot is doing stuff at the event but its nebulous as to what else and when.

Medibot is nebulous. A liar and a wizard.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Nintendo Kid posted:

Hey when the streams are going on Youtube this time around afterwards, can they be at least put in playlists seperated for each event? Gets a bit hard to sort through the channel when it's all out of order clips in the main upload area and no organized playlist.

My preferred method for catching up on what I missed is looking up the event on archive.org and then just youtubing "SGDQ 2014 Blasto" or whatever.

Valex
Nov 28, 2009

~*fabulous*~
They should have added a donation incentive for the Necrodancer speedrun being on a dance pad

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Mr Phillby posted:

I would love to see an Isaac race where the seed is randomly chosen an hour before so the participants only have a limited amount of time to explore and route beforehand.

Ideally someone has a tough-but-fair seed ready to go for them to all use.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
How Pro should I expect the YoCo to be? Just want to set realistic expectations for myself.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

I don't know what YoCo is but if there's not a Mario Party money match someone is getting a stern letter.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Competitive Yoshi's Cookie. YoCo.

Also, no WTfJapan block makes me sad. So many neat games.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

mp5 posted:

I don't know what YoCo is but if there's not a Mario Party money match someone is getting a stern letter.

Can't imagine there won't be. Geoff has already challenged Cosmo to a money match of Monkey Target

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
If there is a Mario Party match for the love of god let it not be teams this time

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

First year I've managed to swing getting off for the entire event instead of just Awful Games Done Quick, so I'm excited to catch most of these runs live this time!

I'm most interested in how the roguelike/lite speedrun block is going to turn out (in shambles or surprising me), but I also can't wait to be entertained as usual by PJ runs (Arcade Battletoads and BattleBlock Theater) as well as the AwfulGDQ block that I normally watch in full (Swamp Thing, Blasto, Sneak King).

Edit: Holy poo poo, blindfolded Child Dungeons of Ocarina of Time? :stare:

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jan 2, 2015

Mayheim
Jun 15, 2006
I am Tomba the Mighty
I have fast pants

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

katkillad2 posted:

I will continue to be amazed and depressed at how many donations kill/save the animals will bring in.

Why?

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Playlists will definitely be a thing once I touch up the script that handles the uploads, especially since I'm going to have to re-upload them all anyway (due to the new YT channel).

I'll also be reuploading the SGDQ2014 videos at some point, since they FINALLY enabled 60fps about a week after I finished uploading everything. :argh:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Dr. Dos posted:

My preferred method for catching up on what I missed is looking up the event on archive.org and then just youtubing "SGDQ 2014 Blasto" or whatever.

If you want to catch up during the marathon there's usually a reddit link that goes up right away with very organized and up to date timestamped links to the twitch VODS as they go up. Hopefully that can be added to the OP whenever it's created.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
This might be a problem, since this yeah Twitch disabled automatic recording of everything that you stream to a channel, making it so you can only save highlights.

• Locked thread