Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Ok, I get it now. Yeah, no I would have preferred a dedicated "Kill the Animals" shirt. Still a good shirt though. 100% cotton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax

Kerfuffle posted:

If it's the zelda book Kari Fry did it's pretty awesome and very, very detailed.
http://www.fangamer.com/products/legend-of-the-hero

Also that glow in the dark ink looks perfect wow, go nina.

Amazes me you can pirate copyrights and sell it as your own to this day

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

MVP posted:

Did you even loving look at what was in the book?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Captain Invictus posted:

Well since it seems like nobody else is going to finish the "must watch" list, I made a list for a friend of stuff I watched and enjoyed, here it is if anyone would like it. I've added things in chronological order starting from the oldest, and have only added things I've watched up to the current one(Batman Arkham City), also the I Wanna Be The Guy runs from last year for my friend so he has some context for Boshy(also because they're fun runs)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLn1qwaDupAXjRb3w_drplff9qgWYgXfty

why did you use the unofficial channels :(

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Why not? The videos run fine. I've been watching them on that one as they were being uploaded so I just stuck with it.

texasmed
May 27, 2004

CrashCat posted:

Did you even loving look at what was in the book?

It's rather obvious what franchises that site's products are ripping off. I don't give a gently caress, though. The drawings are pretty.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

MVP posted:

I do find it kinda funny that Nintendo doesn't seem to go after products like this but go way out of their way to shut down LPs, fighting game tourneys, and charity events that use their games.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
There's a difference between fan works and complete reproductions, you know

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

flatluigi posted:

There's a difference between fan works and complete reproductions, you know

LPs, streaming, and playing games in a tourney are not complete reproductions of playing a video game.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Crain posted:

LPs, streaming, and playing games in a tourney are not complete reproductions of playing a video game.

They're a hell of a lot closer to it than fanart and fanworks!

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I dunno, on one hand, stuff like the fanbook involves actual money being handed around.

Edit: For the record, my opinion is closer to "both shouldn't be prosecuted, since they're already allowing what's usually considered the stronger violation".

mycot fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Feb 2, 2015

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

mycot posted:

I dunno, on one hand, stuff like the fanbook involves actual money being handed around.

And explicitly using another's copyright/trademarks for your own work.

It's like Rifftrax dubing over a Bond movie vs. Making your own Bond movie and selling it at film festivals. Yeah both involve using someone else's copyright but one is explicitly a copyright violation.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

mycot posted:

Don't worry, big YouTubers get handed a lot of money!

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
From Nintendo's perspective, one of them shows gameplay/story from games they're actively trying to sell and the other is, effectively, supplemental material that doesn't directly affect the sale of their games. I'm not saying it's right, but it's pretty easy to see why they're alright with one and not the other, whatever arguments you want to make about it.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I don't really have an opinion about any of that at all except to say it's a drat shame the people behind the Mike Tyson's Punch-Out book never got approval to publish it.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Caitlin posted:

From Nintendo's perspective, one of them shows gameplay/story from games they're actively trying to sell and the other is, effectively, supplemental material that doesn't directly affect the sale of their games. I'm not saying it's right, but it's pretty easy to see why they're alright with one and not the other, whatever arguments you want to make about it.

Yeah, that's true.

Anyway, on the topic of future GDQ: I wonder how many more times WitWix is going to show off his Boshy run. It's very entertaining, but looking at last years and this years it's so similar. The man has his delivery down pat, which is great, but that means it's same sorta stuff. But then again we'll be seeing Metroid/Zelda/Castlevania for the rest of time as well. I just kinda hope a new game like IWBTG/B comes out for people to speedrun.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Crain posted:

Yeah, that's true.

Anyway, on the topic of future GDQ: I wonder how many more times WitWix is going to show off his Boshy run. It's very entertaining, but looking at last years and this years it's so similar. The man has his delivery down pat, which is great, but that means it's same sorta stuff. But then again we'll be seeing Metroid/Zelda/Castlevania for the rest of time as well. I just kinda hope a new game like IWBTG/B comes out for people to speedrun.

From the maker of Boshy

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

of course it had to be an anime titty angel

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

dragon enthusiast posted:

of course it had to be an anime titty angel

To be fair you can make her an anime fatty if you want

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Witwix and most Boshy runners don't like Wings of Vi so it's moot at this point anyways.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Seriously? He's the one who made that? Oh well I guess there's no more Boshy games coming from SolGryn.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

flyboi posted:

Witwix and most Boshy runners don't like Wings of Vi so it's moot at this point anyways.

Which is unfortunate because it's actually a great game and speedrun (besides the art).

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Studio posted:

Which is unfortunate because it's actually a great game and speedrun (besides the art).

It's a different game from Boshy / IWBTG fan-clones and the only similarity it really has is that it's frustrating to play if you aren't a masochist about platforming. It doesn't surprise me really that most Boshy runners don't like it.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

flyboi posted:

It's a different game from Boshy / IWBTG fan-clones and the only similarity it really has is that it's frustrating to play if you aren't a masochist about platforming. It doesn't surprise me really that most Boshy runners don't like it.

Which Boshy runners by the way? I know Yagamoth and CosmicSense attached to it super hard.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I wonder how hard it is to make an IWBTG style game.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Studio posted:

Which Boshy runners by the way? I know Yagamoth and CosmicSense attached to it super hard.

Witwix and Bananasaurus Rex didn't want to play it. I do believe Rex ended up trying it at some point but doubt he went back to it. I don't think kalemandu has touched it either.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

flyboi posted:

Witwix and Bananasaurus Rex didn't want to play it. I do believe Rex ended up trying it at some point but doubt he went back to it. I don't think kalemandu has touched it either.

Doesn't Bananasaurus Rex have a wr in one of the Vi categories?

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Crain posted:

I wonder how hard it is to make an IWBTG style game.

http://i-wanna-be-the-guy.wikia.com/wiki/Fangames

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

flyboi posted:

Uh, B Rex has been running the poo poo out of the game. He might have WR in the most competitive category right now. Kalemandu hasn't touched anything lately.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I do remember WitWix saying that he was getting close to his ideal time a few days ago. Not sure how much longer he's really going to keep running it. The game has enough RNG elements that it seems like there really is an upper limit on technical skill and after that you're just running it over and over again trying to luck out.

Well gently caress...

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
I think the idea (from a year or two ago) had been something like IWTBTG first, see how that does, then Boshy if that's not a complete trainwreck. Precision platformers in general have seen some broader representation, with N, Dustforce, & Super Meat Boy also being run. Anywho, K2 and K3 would both be pretty great to see at a marathon, though I don't know if any of the better runners for those games have any interest in playing them in such a setting. TenShots has been playing a lot of Destiny lately, and that would also be a decent watch.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

CubicalSucrose posted:

I think the idea (from a year or two ago) had been something like IWTBTG first, see how that does, then Boshy if that's not a complete trainwreck. Precision platformers in general have seen some broader representation, with N, Dustforce, & Super Meat Boy also being run. Anywho, K2 and K3 would both be pretty great to see at a marathon, though I don't know if any of the better runners for those games have any interest in playing them in such a setting. TenShots has been playing a lot of Destiny lately, and that would also be a decent watch.

What are K2 and K3?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Crain posted:

I do remember WitWix saying that he was getting close to his ideal time a few days ago. Not sure how much longer he's really going to keep running it. The game has enough RNG elements that it seems like there really is an upper limit on technical skill and after that you're just running it over and over again trying to luck out.

Well gently caress...

Witwix has been screwing around with SM64 and has said a few times on stream that eventually he's going to change games at some point.

Yeah, brex was a poor example but he also was apprehensive of the game when it first came out.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

flyboi posted:

Witwix has been screwing around with SM64 and has said a few times on stream that eventually he's going to change games at some point.

Which is a good idea probably. Games like Boshy rely on a certain surprise factor to be interesting. There's only so many times you can say "HOW'D HE DO THAT!?" before it's just boring.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Haha, you're just a kid! Maybe when you're older...

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

All these and not one called "I Am The Guy"?

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I regret not ordering a kill/save tshirt so badly now. I hope they come back at sone point

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

I've been occasionally watching MANvsGAME going through this, I think he's getting close to 10000 deaths at this point. Some of the boss fights seem harder than most things in Boshy, mostly due to how loving long they are.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
making an iwbtg clone that is still full of traps yet isn't completely unforgiving is really hard

instead putting rooms full of spikes that move every 2 seconds or something is considered good design and if you don't like it the game is just too hard for you xD

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Double Bill posted:

I've been occasionally watching MANvsGAME going through this, I think he's getting close to 10000 deaths at this point. Some of the boss fights seem harder than most things in Boshy, mostly due to how loving long they are.

I've been watching a Japanese guy do the same and it's great entertainment to have in the background, especially since the music is pretty good.

I think he's only at around 2000 deaths so far though, but his and the chat's reactions to the countless horrible failures and occasional hard-fought successes never get old.

• Locked thread