Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

KennyMan666 posted:

3D Blue Falcon perler:

This is some next-level poo poo right here, goddamn. Totally gonna make my donation when this thing is up as a prize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Snake Rattle n' Roll is the game I'm most hyped for. It's a fuckin' dope game and it's being run by two awesome runners, so it'll be awesome. The FF7 run will be great, I can't wait to see people's reactions to it because it gets really crazy. The entire Nintendo block starting with Legend of Zelda and ending with NSMB:Wii will all be great, they're all excellent games that have really fun runs to watch. The Morrowind all main quest run should be excellent because that game is so goddamn broken, I can't even imagine what will happen during that run but it'll surely be glorious. SMRPG is a run I've seen a million times and it never gets old since the game is so lovable.

But seriously, Snake Rattle n' Roll is the poo poo, I'm stoked to see it in the schedule.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Musical_Daredevil posted:

It's all the craziness of an any% run, but with 25 more minutes of it. I've seen AlbinoAlbatross run it several times now and still have no clue what's going on in some parts.

Haven't seen an any% run yet? Just wait, it is amazing.

Oh I've seen any% and it is awesome. More of that sounds fantastic.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's weird an actual awesome game like Gunstar Heroes is run at 4 in the morning while objectively bad Sonic games come midday.

Sonic Adventure is a hilarious speedrun game regardless of the fact that it's a giant pile of garbage, it deserves its time slot.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

geri_khan posted:

I'm trying and failing to figure out the visual reference in the "What is a Man?" one. Is it to something specific, because it looks specifically familiar.

(yes I know the quote. It's the style that puzzles me)

I am pretty sure it's based on an old Nickelodeon or MTV show logo, but I cannot figure out which exactly either. The font on the last word, especially, I remember from somewhere in my childhood.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

As long as we have Accordion Guy back, the lack of cosplay and plushies doesn't matter much.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

TheChirurgeon posted:

Oh nevermind then it's totally cool that he didn't rehearse or write down any opening remarks for an event that has historically raised over half a million dollars. I didn't realize you needed to be paid to do something to practice it!

he wasn't even supposed to be the guy who opened the event, uyama was. last minute changes and poo poo, bro.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

A.G.Pennypacker posted:

I want to stress that I'm not making fun of him; he's a dude just unapologetically having a great time, and he's always super pumped and encouraging of every single person's speed run. Even at like four in the morning. He's the best.

he is awkward and loud and annoys me sometimes, but he seems like a legit nice dude and he also supports runners when they don't have like, anyone else in the audience watching them. he is cool in my books overall.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Best comment of the entire marathon and we're only a few hours in

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Groovelord Neato posted:

Can't believe someone got through with a stiv burn.

I don't even think this was a burn on him, really

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

beep by grandpa posted:

Lol that is easily the douchiest part of that entire thing. I've never really given a poo poo about the actual 'scandal' since they're all adults and made their own decisions, whatever, but lmfao he banged with a dude's wife then took to a public forum to smugly lecture him on what a great a catch she is. What an rear end in a top hat :lol:

also the dude drove back home and left her at the event stranded. honestly i feel worse for her, the guy seems like a douchebag who doesn't understand other human beings.

argondamn posted:

Last year a nerdy newly married couple went to AGDQ and she cheated on him with a bunch of people including Stiv, the current runner.

naw, it wasn't a bunch of people. the other pastebin about this where she hosed like 6 guys was pretty definitively shown to be false.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Dizz posted:

Holy poo poo is this true?

yes. he was offended because she was *gasp* DRINKING ALCOHOL, so he drove back home to salt lake city and left her stranded in colorado.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Groovelord Neato posted:

lol if you wouldn't do the same thing if someone cheated on you.

he did this before the cheating happened

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Ramadu posted:

how loving damaged are you that you wouldn't leave her stranded for doing that ahaha

he did not leave as a result of her cheating on him; he left her stranded there and then she cheated on him.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

beep by grandpa posted:

Hey, nothing against anyone who likes Banjo Kazooie runs but gently caress you.

yep

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

beep by grandpa posted:

Maybe I'm crazy but it's also painful on the eyes to me. I was like 13 when banjo kazooie came out and even at the time I remember thinking it is one of the ugliest looking games I've ever seen.

yeah. this was a common problem with the genre. basically only mario 64 and spyro didn't make me want to stab my eyes out, all the rest of them looked like absolute junk.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Random Stranger posted:

And ten minutes into a two hour race, one racer is a minute behind with effectively no chance to catch up.

the difference is only 25 seconds now, so

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

mabels big day posted:

I'm gonna be real pissed if funky Kong doesnt win

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Random Stranger posted:

Just ones on Rare games.

The only good Rare games are Snake, Rattle, and Roll and Blast Corps. At least the first is being run this time.

viva pinata, bitch

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Synastren posted:

I'm not at all against people donating because they have a personal stake in the cause; that's great and fine and fantastic. My concern is what was alluded to about people lying about losses in order to get their 20 seconds of internet fame, and the surprising number of people who have suffered losses in the last month week moments before or so that have been read on stream. And from a production standpoint, it's incredibly jarring to go from "Someone I love very much died from cancer, and it was a grievous loss" to some silly and happy video game, with no way to transition from one to the other.

i don't know if you knew this, but lots of people die from cancer all the time.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

flatluigi posted:

we've already had over 120k concurrent viewers at multiple points it's not very unlikely that a handful of them are people who lost people to cancer recently

also the vast majority of comments about someone they know having cancer are not of them even dying from it. i mean poo poo there are three people in my family who have had cancer, one of whom did die of it.

cancer is extremely common and i find it incredibly hard to believe that there are very many people at all who have not been affected by it.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

flatluigi posted:

DKR has been an extremely hype run in the past (toufool set a WR in it at sgdq13) and I think everyone expected this to be a really hype race given everyone involved. There's just no energy on the couch for it and I'm pretty sure none of them got the notice that they were supposed to watch a run/runs of it beforehand so they could actually talk about what was happening during the race

I blame it more on the fact that Toufool is too goddamn good. 0xwas and Joe are having a decent race but they're miles behind Toufool at this point.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

SeXReX posted:

at SGDQ 13, Essentia was holding her daughter who was dressed up in an adorable hand knit Link onsie and a comment got through with something to the order of "Baby link is so cute, maybe some day she'll wield my master sword"

christ, i missed this and am glad of it :stonk:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

ullerrm posted:

Dude -- It's people giving money to a charity to fight a disease. There is no need to be alarmed.
This is true. But, you know, this is a recent thing. It wasn't that long ago -- 30-40 years maybe -- where cancer was the great undertaker, the incurable death sentence. There are references to cancer in papyri dating back to before Greek civilization. We didn't understand that cancer was a change in cell genetics until the 1900s. Up until the 1950s or so, if you had cancer of an internal organ, you likely didn't know about it until it had already metastasized and was inoperable, and you were probably going to die.

When you adjust for age, you're only 5% less likely to die of cancer today than you were in 1950. What's changed is that we detect it earlier, and you're more likely to go into remission until old age.

however it's still fuckin scary when you or someone you know is diagnosed with cancer, even curable cancer. my grandmother did survive and they knew she was likely going to from the start, but she also lost the ability to swallow food and needs to eat through a feeding tube now, just as an example.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Swan Curry posted:

This marble game is a bit underwhelming after Super Monkey Ball

most things are underwhelming after a game like Super Monkey Ball tbh

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Do not even ask posted:

I forget if it was AGDQ or SGDQ, but Toufool's run last year was fun because the crowd of attendees were keeping the energy up for about the first three quarters of the run.

That was AGDQ and yeah, the real problem with the race this year was a lack of excitement or participation.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

President Ark posted:

You should watch one they did a year ago, one of the 3d ones. They were literally doing something where they'd snake so hard they'd start flying off the track 5000 feet into the air.

They'll be doing that again not long from now, in fact.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

GX doesn't have top-tier runners this time and they are doing staff ghosts so it won't own AS hard. But even mid-tier GX players are on some next-level poo poo and it's crazy to watch.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Crain posted:

Well this run kinda lost energy towards the end. I guess he was expecting the death race and the incentive wasn't met.

The death race incentive is for F-Zero X which is still to come. But it needs some 4k more to be met so it's looking doubtful, which is sad.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Crain posted:

drat, yetee with the 14k donation. Also decided to make sure a bunch of incentives are met too. Real nice. I think I need to pick up a few of those shirts.

It's disappointing that none went towards the next incentive that has not been met, however. We'll need a grand every ten minutes to meet death race at this point :smith:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

*GDQ events always start kinda slow and build up as time goes on and everyone gets more tired. Plus the schedule is often kinda backheavy with many of the super popular games coming in the last couple days.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

BloodWulfe posted:

I think I built this F-Zero GX run up too much in my head after the awesome run at last AGDQ. I don't know, it's just not quite as entertaining, and I miss the crowd exploring with cheers and applause in the background.

Well, that and ghost races seem kind of boring in comparison, and there's 1h30m of them instead of a quick 30m of constant crazy single frame tricks and flying all over the place.

Anyone else feel the same way? I just have no interest in it this year.

Staff ghosts are less impressive if you haven't played the game I suppose, but CGN kinda killed story mode dead. They can't do it again this year after he so thoroughly made it his bitch last year.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

hcreight posted:

So why did this happen? I know in the past they've had to tell him not to sit on the couch unless invited by the runner but otherwise he's never really misbehaved. :(

blueglass is in the audience right now, don't believe dumb rumors

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

akc just poo poo on zewing's best time while playing on zewing's memory card :lol:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i genuinely don't even have to ask why they think anything remotely close to that because i can just assume that they're huffing paint and it makes sense

because uyama is hitler

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Alright I'm back what's up next? Odds on being good?

PJ and MechaRichter are running so 100%

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Critical posted:

Watch the poo poo you like and don't watch the poo poo you don't you loving dweebs.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Dash O Pepper posted:

This doesn't work when you consider that Time of Day is a thing. Not everyone wants to stay up to 3am for something cool while they put on Critically Acclaimed Batman Arkham Asylum 100% 3 hour run on at like 5pm.

then wait uintil the next day and watch whatever is on then, it's a 7 day marathon

if your time is so precious that a 2 hour run of a game you don't like is the end of the world for you then you should take a fuckin long, hard look at your life and where it all went wrong

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Zurreco posted:

we really can't complain about this free entertainment that we can easily turn off when it gets boring.

look, i demand that every game run during the times i can watch match up exactly to my own tastes or i'm going to go on the internet and complain about it!!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Al Borland posted:

Im so sick of the audience actually looking happy and energetic. They need to go back to their zombified look immediately!

agreed, all runs must be exactly like diddy kong racing was, everyone loved that one

• Locked thread