Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

One million broken, potential $1.5 million, oh my god

Stream is unlive, short bonus stream will happen eventually

New year, new speedrunning marathon.

Awesome Games Done Quick is an annual speedrunning marathon for charity featuring runners from Speed Demos Archive (SDA), SpeedRunsLive and TASVideos, collecting money for the Prevent Cancer Foundation. It's the biggest speedrunning event of the year!

The dates to note are January 4th to 10th, and during that time you can see countless hours of entertaining speedruns, TASes, races, challenges and things that never happened before.

Important links

Schedule: Found here: http://gamesdonequick.com/schedule - this schedule will automagically adjust to your timezone, so you don't need to calculate anything. Except for when you can sleep. But you can't sleep.

Watch it at: The event is streamed at Twitch, but the marathon event has a specific page that you should use, which is at: http://gamesdonequick.com/ (once the marathon starts, will have stream and chat and all that fancy stuff). The Twitch page is http://www.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick but only use that if the main page shits itself.

If you want to watch in your media player of choice, you can use Livestreamer. Here is a short guide, courtesy of debdrup (who's also offered to help anyone with issues. He can usually be found in #speedruns):

debdrup posted:

Windows users can find an easy-to-use installer here.
Mac users can run sudo easy_install livestreamer from a terminal window.
If you're a Linux or Unix nerd you can usually find livestreamer pre-compiled in the package system (pkg, apt, pip, or similar).

If its using your OS' default player, and you want it to use something different, what you need to do is set the player location in the config file to use your favorite media player.
Alternatively you can just set up file associations properly.

The config file can be found in:
Windows: %APPDATA%\livestreamer\livestreamerrc
Unix-like systems: ~/.livestreamerrc or $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/livestreamer/config

This file should contain many options, but one of the first should be something like this:
player=“absolute-path/to/mediaplayer”

Just change this to the absolute path of your favorite media player, remember to remove the hash (#) in front of it, and save it.
Open a command prompt or terminal, enter livestreamer twitch.tv/gamesdonequick best, and that's it. You can replace best with low/medium/high if needed.

If you have any issues, consult the quickstart guide.
If you're using firefox, there's also an add-on that can launch livestreamer for you.

There's also a French restream here with its own schedule. Additionally, a Spanish restream can be found here.

Official recordings will go up eventually. A list of timestamped VODs exists here.

Chatting: Twitch chat is best not used, as it's not going to be the official chat channel. It will be under heavy load either way, and might turn to slow and subscribers only mode if it gets too bad. Instead, the official chat is as usual on IRC.
Server: irc.quakenet.org
Channel: #sdamarathon
Direct link
Quakenet Webchat (Mibbit will not work)

There's also a SA speedrun channel that you can use for slightly slower conversation:
Server: irc.synirc.net
Channel: #speedruns
Direct link
Mibbit Webchat

Put some clothes on: TheYetee, as always, has a variety of cool shirts you can buy for $11 (or $13 for the larger sizes) during the whole event! A percentage of the profit from these shirts will be donated to the charity towards the end of the event.

=============

AGDQ: What it is

All money collected during Awesome Games Done Quick goes directly to the Prevent Cancer Foundation, with nothing going to anyone participating in the event. It's 100% charity. All attendees pay for their own travel and living expenses.

SDA has hosted several successful speedrunning marathons in the past - AGDQ2013 raised over $448,000 for PCF, and SGDQ2013 raised $255,000 for Doctors Without Borders - after which it became official that SDA's different speedrunning marathons had, in total donations going to four different charities, collected over a million dollars. Last year, AGDQ2014 alone raised another million dollars, and SGDQ2014 topped that off with another $718,000.

As the event grows each year, more work is put into improving the quality of the stream. There's always going to be some hiccups, though, because everyone working with the event is only human. Well, except for TASBot. (despite what you might have heard, UraniumAnchor is, in fact, not a machine.)

=============

Donations and how they work

SDA marathons up to and including half of AGDQ2013 used a donation widget known as ChipIn. ChipIn crashed and burned horribly during AGDQ2013, so resident coding superhero SMK reinvented the wheel donation system, creating a standalone system that has been used since, not only by SDA events but by other community marathons as well.

You will be able to leave a comment with your donation. During earlier marathons, all comments were read out on stream, but as more and more donations come in each year, it has become impossible to do so. Therefore, there will be a filtering system in place. In general, this is the idea:

quote:

-The program should auto-filter donations that are less than a dollar, but in case if one slips through, filter it out.

-Some people do not want their names read out loud when they donate. There will be an anonymous flag you can check so that the donation reader doesn't read their name by accident (like we have done often in the past).

-Donations insulting someone should be filtered out.

-If a donation is solely twitch faces, hashtags, or just generally spam, then filter it out.

-On that note, if someone donates a small amount of money just to write a mountain of text, then filter it out. We'll be busy enough reading short donation comments. The only exception we should make for mountains of text is...

-Personal stories relating to our cause should be read.

-If a donation comment is creative and funny then it should be read. Just FYI, while some people might find twich faces funny, they're certainly not creative.

There is also a scrolling ticker for donation comments on the main page. No, they're not going to put that on the stream.

The donation tracker for AGDQ2015 can be found at https://gamesdonequick.com/tracker/12.

=============

Prizes and incentives and YOU

One of the more popular things to drive donations are the donation incentives and the raffle prizes.

When you donate, you can have your donation go towards one of the many donation incentives that are available for different games. This involves naming characters, selecting different modes, in some cases even choosing which game will be played. All the incentives are available to view on this page of the tracker.

There's always prizes to win, and you can see a list of all of them in the tracker as well. Prizes come in two categories - regular and grand. Regular prizes you get entered into the drawing for if you make a donation of the minimum amount specified, mostly between $5 and $25 with a single outlier at $50, during the specified game or game block. Grand prizes you get one chance to win per specified donated throughout the entire event, up to three tickets for each person. At the time of writing, the grand prize or prizes have not yet been put up, but they'll be there. This is another space you can watch.

Now, what is there to win?

Some amazing poo poo, that's what. FOR EXAMPLE

3D Blue Falcon perler:

Kaizo Mario repro cart:

This thing (this is the $50 one):

Santos perler:

Triforce pint glass:

A keyblade:

This suave motherfucker:

And a whole lot of other cool stuffs. Just check the list in the tracker.

=============

FAQ:
Q: What runs should I watch?
A: There is no one answer to this question. Anyone you ask will give a different answer. But nine out of ten people will tell you to make sure to tune in for AwfulGDQ. (the tenth guy never gets invited to the cool parties.)

Some of the runs that turn out to be the most amazing will be listed in the second post eventually.

Q: Will ____ be there this year?
A: Check the schedule. If they're not listed as a runner or commentator, it doesn't really matter if they're there or not. It's probably a wise idea to avoid bringing up some of the more controversial runners/commentators from the past.

Q: So did you hear this juice piece of speedrunner drama-
A: OH MY GOD SHUT THE gently caress UP.

Okay, no, really, let's not do that this year. In the past, we've had rumours, accusations, shady tweets, unverified pastebins and all sorts of poo poo about who did what with whom and why. Keep that poo poo out of the thread, oh my god. This is not the place for that. Last year I had to close the thread because people wouldn't shut the gently caress up and I will do it again if necessary.

Q: Why isn't ____ on the schedule?
A: Because there's simply not enough room for it. AGDQ has grown so much that it's not even remotely possible to let everyone who wants to attend have a game on the schedule anymore. There's going to be hundreds of people there, and while not all of them are runners, many games and people have had to be cut from the schedule to fit it into a weeklong marathon. There have been talks about expanding it to two streams, but that idea seems to have been mostly abandoned.

Q: Why didn't they read my donation comment?
A: We went over that already, but in short, because they get so insanely many comments that it's not possible to read them all.

Q: Where is this happening? It looks different from last year.
A: AGDQs up to and including 2013 took place in the 4H Center in Maryland, but due to its growth it had to relocate. AGDQ2014 took place at the Crowne Plaza Dulles Hotel, and AGDQ2015 will be brought to you from the Hilton Washington Dulles Airport Hotel.

Q: This OP looks like a copy of last year's OP.
A: It pretty much is because I'm a lazy rear end. Also, that's not a frequent question, shut up.

=============

And that's that. If there's any other information that you think should go in this here OP, let me know.

And now, a song

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jan 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Slightly more comprehensive and actually commented list of things you should probably watch is being worked on. For now, suggestions from other people.

Al Nipper
Dark Forces 2
Battleblock Theatre
I Wanna Be the Boshy
Super Mario Bros The Lost Levels
Super Kaizo World
Super Monkey Ball Deluxe
Tetris Grandmaster
Town With no Name
Ninja Gaiden Relay
Trial Evolution

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 9, 2015

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Cubey posted:

This is some next-level poo poo right here, goddamn. Totally gonna make my donation when this thing is up as a prize.
If you think that one's cool, try to find pictures of the 3D Sophia the 3rd perler. That was insane.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Wasn't there a way of running the streams in MPC last year? I remember it being faster and less prone Twitch's horrible lag. If anyone remembers how it works, might be worth putting in the OP.
Done

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

The Livestreamer section in the OP has been replaced with a New and Better™ Livestreamer section in the OP, thanks to debdrup.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

We have shirts

http://www.theyetee.com/agdq/

That Save/Kill the animals one, holy poo poo.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Tracula posted:

Just imagine this year how many donation comments are probably gonna mention poo poo like Gamergate :v:
Well, there's a blacklist for stuff in comments that ensure they don't get read (and probably won't even reach the ticker), so that's not going to be much of a problem.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Five hours to go!

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Only one hour to go!

Also putting restreams in OP yeah

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

:siren: We are live :siren:

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Also thanks to whoever stickied the thread.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Very late reply but now that I'm awake: I saw some posts about the Umihara Kawase run, apparently it didn't go that well for the runner. I guess I'll watch it later but if you want to see more of the game I did a longest path run at ESA2014, with a shortest path run as bonus at the end. The longest path one went kind of ridiculously well and I think is my PB.

Missed the entire Mega Man block, I will make drat sure to catch up on that. 4-player 100% X race sounds insanely hype. Stupid university.

At least I can see most of AwfulGDQ!

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

timp posted:

Please excuse the blind post, but is there any chance the OP or second post will be updated with highlights before the weekend starts?
Yes.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Canadian stereotypes confirmed quick

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > AGDQ 2015: Who's filtering these?

Also, $800k reached.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > AGDQ 2015: Get wrecked, save the animals, kill the cancer, taunt the engine

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

$900k reached!

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Comrade Question posted:

I like Blueglass because he ignores his popularity. He doesn't want to stream
Has he said he doesn't actually want to stream? Last I heard, he just didn't have streaming equipment.

Though I guess with how inexpensive devices that let you stream composite and s-video is, him not actually having gotten one yet might indeed hint at that he doesn't really want to. (or, of course, it could be that his computer isn't good enough either and that's obviously a fair bit more expensive to upgrade)

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

ONE

MILLION

DOLLARS

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Aaaand we're done.

So that recommendations list in second post never actually happened yet but I'll try to actually make it happen Soon™.

Post your recommendations, your lists, your pastebins, 'cause I need to know what multiple people agree on are the must-watches, especially from the parts where I couldn't watch myself.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

A problem with the schedule this year was that the setup buffers weren't being used for what they are explicitly on the schedule for. They're supposed to cover long setup times, so if you're behind schedule when you reach a setup, bam, that's 30-60 minutes back.

This AGDQ they were being used for bonus games despite the schedule being several hours behind and I think that at least one of them ran longer than the setup buffer was noted for.

So it kinda misses the point of them being there entirely. Yes, I know people donated for the bonus games, but they should only replace setup buffers when running ahead of schedule.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

As much as some people want things to go back to the Good Old Days of friendly, small GDQs with bonus streams of just folks hanging out
At least ESA is still attempting to stay as this.

For now.

The comparison I usually draw is that these days, AGDQ is a charity event first and the content just so happens to be a speedrunning marathon, whereas ESA is a community speedrunning marathon first that also has a charity aspect to it.

Of course, ESA doesn't get anywhere close to the amount of donations that the *GDQs get, but hey, we've increased our total each year, at least.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

DoctorStrangelove posted:

I'm a bit on the fence about donating to the MSF too though. I here that they spend the money on developing some sort of nuclear-equipped bipedal walking tank.
So you won't donate 'cause there's a chance your donation won't go to the development of that? :v:

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Crain posted:

Anyone get (or even get an email about) their AGDQ shirts from the yetee yet?
Got an e-mail about it 7½ hours ago.

For everyone waiting for that run list in the second post it's supposedly still being worked on. At least that's what the four tabs I have open for specifically that reason tries to tell me.

• Locked thread