Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

SeXReX posted:

Possibility of Precipitation is cool and all

but if you're not watching for Tetris Grand Masters later then.... I just don't know

Wasn't that supposed to air sooner? Now it was moved to 2:35am (for me), it was much earlier I think.

EDIT: Just saw dragon enthusiast's post. gently caress it, staying up for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Tracula posted:

So what happened to Medibot being an announcer? I don't see him on the schedule anymore.

He was on for Rocket Knight Adventures and Sparkster I believe. I saw parts of Sparkster and heard him, the VOD should be up on that YouTube channel posted a few posts ago. And Twitch of course.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Zurreco posted:

That was cool.

Now to go do something else for 5 hours.

I was going to post but:

RyokoTK posted:

If you are willingly skipping Tetris and Shovel Knight then I don't even loving know man.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

RyokoTK posted:

Shovel Knight GOTY 2014, go fuckin play it dude.

Going to echo this, only Wolfenstein is a contender for my personal 2014 GOTY. Shovel Knight is great, I loved it, and I'm sad I probably can't catch the run this year, but the VOD will be there in the morning.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Tetris: TGM, and a Space Jam/Tetris mashup? Worth staying up. :allears:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

drat that's excellent. Glad I haven't gotten one yet... Although this makes my choice so much harder now! :argh:
Does the text mean anything? I recognize the Player parts, the Levels, but not the one right above Player 1 and Player 2.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Gimnbo posted:

It's a timer.

Well now I feel dumb. Thanks, I see it now.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

This feels kind of obvious, but I'm kinda curious. Will the AGDQ shirts be sold until the end of the stream, or will they roll over, so to speak, towards the bonus stream as well?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Lloyd Van Buren posted:

KevinDDR (the guy who cleared invisible) was saying on twitter he might be streaming later so maybe more live Tetris in your future

Was one of the TGM dudes French, or am I remembering wrong? It'd be rad to have some streams closer to my timezone.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Your Computer posted:

Anyone know what the speedrunning community's stance on emulation is? Are you instantly a scrublord if you don't play on the original console?

Unless I'm mistaken, tool-assisted speedrunning is mostly done on an emulator, if that floats your boat.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Comrade Question posted:

Another proposal coming up.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Man, Casual difficulty in that game really holds your hand, drat. :downsrim:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I'm loving this banter, dig it when the runner talks with the donation reader(?) :allears:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I'd count the handholding as an assist. :colbert:

Studio posted:

That's me!

Well then keep up the great work! :)

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Studio, please be on the tracker for a Big Jon run at SGDQ.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Studio posted:

Tracker or host?

Whatever you are now, I'm not sure on the nomenclature.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

halfcoordinated posted:

I'm glad that goons approve of me sliding my hot ARS around everywhere. I couldn't have asked for the Vanquish run to go better!

Shindragon posted:

You are awesome. I'm really glad your game got over loving Minecraft.

This pretty much, it was a very fun run. Not Tetris-mindblowing, but definitely a highlight of the event. Glad I didn't skip it.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Is TASbot 2: The Return of TASbot before or after FFVII? I'm pretty much set on having to miss out on Super Metroid, unfortunately, but TASbot is too cool and I'd like to catch that.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Oh sweet, I have your Save The Animals shirt from 2013 (I think), it's rad. Love your designs.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Good finale ideas:

Big Jon
Tetris
Bromance% Vanquish
TASbot (although I can see why it'd not fit the finale of a non-TAS marathon)
Super Metroid
Shovel Knight

Bad finale idea:
6+ hours of Zelda

I can dig a good any% OOT speedrun, but I just have no interest in the 100% run. I can see why people like the game though, and I suppose it is a speedrunning staple like Super Metroid so...

VV: That too. And, importantly, Super Metroid lasts an hour, hour and a half tops. This year it was 100% and took 1:19, for example. But this Zelda run is 3 hours in, to a total of almost 5. And there was the child dungeons thing earlier, which might have been cool? Still a total of 6+ hours of OOT.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jan 11, 2015

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Supercar Gautier posted:

Part of it is that OOT has lost some of its novelty as a wildly buggy run. A few years back when Cosmo did his all dungeons run, it blew viewers' minds that he could pull these stunts and that everything was happening completely out of order. Now GDQ and speedrunning in general have really blown up, so it may feel a bit old hat to people, especially with the on-camera energy so low.

From what I'm seeing this isn't a wildly buggy run. I can dig any% OOT, cause it's a very buggy run, where they drop and fall onto falling rocks at certain angles to rocket themselves into exit zones and stuff. 100% is less crazy buggy and more playing the game really efficiently and optimally.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Poultron posted:

Actually the vast majority of this has been bugs and glitches. I'll grant you that they aren't the most exciting or flashy, but yeah

That's closer to what I meant, yeah. Any%, you clip through a wall and skip to the last fight, where you fight the boss with a stick you shouldn't have, as a character you shouldn't be. In this one, you go out of bounds to get an item without opening a door and stuff. Less exciting.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Sir Tonk posted:

All these videos have the sound off by like five seconds for me, anyone else getting that? Was trying to catch the first half of awful block and it's unwatchable.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmewT1Wq-BxHK0OoOhmoHGQ

This channel has worked fine for me, although I think some runs are missing (werster's Pokemon Red?)

VV: Odd. And disappointing, I was looking forward to that run. Should still be on twitch VODs right?

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 11, 2015

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Dias posted:

I think he said something to the effect of "I don't like other people getting views from something I did on AGDQ", which is fine, I guess.

That's fair. Presuming it means that it will be up on the official AGDQ channels when that happens then?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Cerebulon posted:

So if there are no speedruns, what on earth are they having?

Fun. :v:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Dias posted:

Between runs, replay a short run from the previous days, something that got a graveyard-shift and isn't much longer than 15min. I don't know how practical this suggestion would be, but...

StarCityGames does something like that for their Magic events. They stream previous matches from that tournament, or highlights from other events, but the matches are 'broken' so you might catch half of game 1 between two rounds, and the other half in the next break. Not sure how feasible that would be for speedruns.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

JerikTelorian posted:

Given the opportunity, suggest (intensely) that future races get pro commentary like the Ninja Gaiden one. It's a big help as someone who has only dabbled with Ninja Gaiden casually, much less speedrunning, to have someone providing commentary on what's going on and why without one of the runners needing to chirp "So do you wanna explain...." every 5 minutes. Also the commentary just really pumped up the crowd (at home).

:agreed:
The Ninja Gaiden race had excellent commentary, very proactive and informed. It really helped keep a viewer (I've never played a Ninja Gaiden game) in the loop, since we were seeing the trick/thing as it was being explained. It probably was a good coincidence that it was a close race too, come to think of it.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

DoctorStrangelove posted:

I can't find that one on youtube. Can you help me out?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LEPHgBCGy4

Not sure how much the runners appreciate it, but there's links to twitch and whatnot, so it shouldn't be very bad.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Tracula posted:

Clearly the answer here is to have Big Jon narrate the entire marathon.

SpikeVegeta and Studio too.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Forer posted:

I mentioned in the irc that I'd love to see promo stuff in between runs. "Hi I'm here with Cosmo and I wanted to ask about the race between you and Peaches" "HE'S G'IN DOWN BROTHER WHEN MY PATENTED BOMB JUMP RUNS WILD ON HIM! OH YEAH!"

I want this to be real. UA, whomever, please make this happen.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

teh_Broseph posted:

Lazy phonepost - the speedrunslive front page has an event called get yourself speedrunning you could should check out. Races to encourage folks to get in to the..I'm gonna say sport!

I saw that on the stream but I'm so bad at most games, and don't have any consoles. :smith:
Maybe I'll be able to volunteer one year. Or get blessed with non-suckitude.

VV: Isn't that frowned upon? Downloading a NES/SNES emu and a few ROMs is no work at all, but I'm not sure how okay it is to emulate. I know Big Jon does it on stream though so...

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jan 16, 2015

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Huh. I already have a 360 pad too...

Maybe one day I'll finish one of these notoriously hard games which I've never finished, like Super Mario World or Super Metroid. Thanks for the assurances. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

TheQat posted:

This thread's a bit dead but hopefully people won't mind one last necro for this momentous news: KevinDDR got GM in Terror Instinct, becoming only the 6th person worldwide to do so. http://www.twitch.tv/kevinddr/b/617073091?t=2h24m0s

That was excellent, thanks for sharing. Kinda feel bad for missing it when it happened live, but drat that was entertaining to watch, his reaction at the end is the best.

• Locked thread