Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

beep by grandpa posted:

Nope, super metroid race was pretty much the most incredible thing I've ever seen on a stream- you couldn't even intentionally fix that to be any more compelling or exciting. Fantastic espn commentary from sinister and duckfist(?) too.

It's undeniable that was a great moment, and I really hope they're going to emulate the format this year in other races, but I think that the blindfold Punch Out double bill topped it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Ideas you have too late for agdq: wsplit running during the marathon, with splits for donations landmarks

$10,000_____03:21:56
$50,000_____10:12:00
$1,000,000_167:43:23

(getting the actual times from agdq2014, rather than made up values, is where thinking of it in advance would have helped...)

Then you could have it running as something to switch to during set-up times, and obviously split each time the 2015 total reaches a milestone.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

qntm posted:

Ah, the $1,000,000% category. AGDQ 2014 hit this in 5 days 16 hours 14 minutes, if my note here is right.

I think that was the time they hit the initial goal of $500,000, they broke the million during the final boss of the final run. It was clutch. But hey, now we have two splits!

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Remember to donate when there's awesome stuff, things that draw donations get scheduled again...

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Kill the animals is now 10% of donations to AGDQ. Save the animals is $35 behind that.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Save the animals is past the $100k mark. Kill more than 4k behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Random Stranger posted:

Now for the scary suggestion that would make every single person involved freak out: there needs to be flexible scheduling. Getting behind like the marathon did this time pushed big donation drivers out of prime viewing hours. What I'd recommend is that you have a certain number of "on the bubble" runs that can be cut to recover time. Make the possible to cut runs short ones of about a half hour in length every six hours and then lock the schedule for the next twelve hours. That way you can look down the line and inform the runner that they had to be cut well in advance. drat straight that's going to piss people off and generate cries of how unfair it is, but flexibility will help.
I think this might be taking things a bit far, as some people do fly a long way at their own expense to do a run. Would a better compromise be to have the big money, prime time runs able to leapfrog up the schedule when things are behind, to be run at the right timeslot instead? Making sure the runs in the run-up to your tentpole game for the evening are never really long would help flexibility there.

Also I think the suggestion that games should be more often blocked by console, to provide more variety in games and shorter set-up times, is a good idea. I doubt you can do it universally though, like when you want multi-console races you may not want lots of them in a row, but you need hardware and layout changes in and out of those runs.

• Locked thread