Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
So uh is this a stream for ants or are ads that much more important that they have to be on 24/7?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Chomposaur posted:

With the amount of people that die from cancer there's no real reason to disbelieve them. If you live long enough, you will know people who develop cancer.

It's just a little off-putting to juxtapose these really somber messages with a dumb fun video game event. Sucks the energy out of it, and they need all the energy they can get with this DKR marathon. Basically they need someone to be hyped about this, whether it's someone on the couch or the announcer.

I think their god-awful game choices this year sucked any fun at all out on its own. Who really wants to watch 100% runs of horribly boring N64 games?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

beep by grandpa posted:

Unless the game can be completed in under 60-45min or something, was the Mega Man X calebhart / zero wing race last year a 100%? That was pretty good.

I hope caleb keeps his shirt on this year :barf:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Just a warning if you go to that sponsor site as <blah>autistic in your browser it's a malicious website that will compromise your computer so don't go to it.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Internet Kraken posted:

I skipped the F-Zero block because I hate racing speedruns generally. Did something dumb happen?

Yeah. People played dumb racing games for far too long.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

funmanguy posted:

I know most of these sponsors, but ive never heard of somethingautistic.com.

It's somethingartistic.net and do not go to .net of your url it is malicious.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

DKR wasn't a notably bad run. It's just been streamed to death and isn't a very interesting run. Same goes for Banjo.

Only redeeming part of Banjo run
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06rW7LSUQ80

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Laughing Zealot posted:

This game really needs a re-release similar to Duke 3d and Shadow Warrior on Steam.

Random fact about Blood Shadow Warrior. Back then midi was pretty huge for games but CD-ROM was also brand new. BloodShadow Warrior was originally developed to play through midi but since the game was released on cd they skipped it entirely and used pre-recorded tracks off a midi device. All the files for the songs to play back in midi still exist within the game but cannot be used unless you use one of the newer build engines.

Edit: Derpin my old pc games

flyboi fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 6, 2015

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Acquire Currency! posted:

How did anyone play this game jfc

Back when this game came out it was pretty impressive at its time. The sickness isn't as bad if you're controlling it and he's intentionally doing things that make you go faster which don't help - instead of just going in 1 direction he's most always traveling in 3 to increase his speed further than traveling on 1 axis. I used to love the game back when it was out but Descent 2 is the best :colbert:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Dr. Dos posted:

This fps block is bad because now I want to spend my money to try out Blood and Descent rather than donate my money to charity.

(I'm gonna do both)

You should get Descent 2 and Shadow Warrior while you are at it. The latter is like Duke 3D w/ a samurai sword.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
This game looks really boring unless you're doing co-op together in the same room but the commentary is infectious.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Dr. Dos posted:

Good news! FF7 can be beaten in 3 hours now. It will be a treat and should be enjoyable if you have even a vague knowledge of the game.

Protip: ignore the FF7 run until they get out of Midgar and then grab the popcorn for some amazing sequence breaks. Up until then it's a pretty standard run.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Arrgytehpirate posted:

N is really boring

And N++ is still not out :argh:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Legit mad my donation isn't even showing up on the tracker

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Zurreco posted:

Alright everyone, get your bathroom breaks in before the MMX race starts up.

Over/under Caleb going shirtless and flexing 1.5 times?

If he takes his shirt off I'm charging back my donation.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Random Stranger posted:

So that's the secret, slow down your own donation tracker to drive more donations.

Did Save the Animals even really win? I demand Florida style recounts! :v:

Good show as always. I'll write up my views in a stupidly long, easily ignored post once I get back from breakfast. Congratulations on surviving.

None of my donations ever showed up on the tracker and neither did witwix's

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Tracker's at about $1.32mill and still rising: https://gamesdonequick.com/tracker/12

I wonder if the botched donations will still be in the respective prize pools that they were aimed for.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

BaronVanAwesome posted:

I really like watching the "faster" runs - that is, runs that last under ~30 minutes. Any recommendations from this/previous AGDQ's?

(My favorites have been anything TASbot has done, that A Boy and his Blob run from a past one, super glitchy stuff, etc)

edit: While I'm here, I wish I could find more TAS runs in general with audio commentary over top

http://tasvideos.org/Commentaries.html

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

mango sentinel posted:

Transparency is good among charities and affiliated organizations so yeah kinda.

GDQ is hired as contractors by PCF and you can find PCF's yearly spending on fund raisers in their tax filings. When the big blow up happened on the SRL website the end was "we don't have to divulge our wages but in the end it's basically break-even"

PCF pays for the gear that they don't want to carry around all over the place like excess cabling and CRTs and GDQ pays for things they use between AGDQ/SGDQ like capture cards and default hardware. Most the money from tickets goes towards this. The financials disclosed for SGDQ last year basically was a net-loss for them. GDQ becoming a LLC is for liability purposes and to separate the creators from potential lawsuits and other various headaches that come with running conventions.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

MVP posted:

When PCF is paying for superfluous positions like "video editor" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sBkWl53oHs it makes me wonder how hard those scientists are working on cancer research™

I hope this guy doesn't regurgitate peer-reviewed testings and go "YEP THEY WERE RIGHT $75,000 WELL SPENT"

Wow you really are a special flower :allears:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Crain posted:

Anyone get (or even get an email about) their AGDQ shirts from the yetee yet?

Got one on Monday.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Got my AGDQ shirt zari-gani's work is amazing as usual

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

zari-gani posted:

Thank you, you're the first person to show what it looks like with the lights off. Can I post this on my twitter? (My shirt hasn't arrived yet.)

Sure go for it. If you want I can redo the lights-off pic and doctor it so it shows up a little better

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Witwix and most Boshy runners don't like Wings of Vi so it's moot at this point anyways.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Studio posted:

Which is unfortunate because it's actually a great game and speedrun (besides the art).

It's a different game from Boshy / IWBTG fan-clones and the only similarity it really has is that it's frustrating to play if you aren't a masochist about platforming. It doesn't surprise me really that most Boshy runners don't like it.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Studio posted:

Which Boshy runners by the way? I know Yagamoth and CosmicSense attached to it super hard.

Witwix and Bananasaurus Rex didn't want to play it. I do believe Rex ended up trying it at some point but doubt he went back to it. I don't think kalemandu has touched it either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Crain posted:

I do remember WitWix saying that he was getting close to his ideal time a few days ago. Not sure how much longer he's really going to keep running it. The game has enough RNG elements that it seems like there really is an upper limit on technical skill and after that you're just running it over and over again trying to luck out.

Well gently caress...

Witwix has been screwing around with SM64 and has said a few times on stream that eventually he's going to change games at some point.

Yeah, brex was a poor example but he also was apprehensive of the game when it first came out.

• Locked thread