Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
:neckbeard: Amphibians! I'll draw some slimy stuff over the next few days.

Today's drawing is funny to me because I think it's one of the best ones I've done proportions-wise, and the way I know that is because it's just off enough that it's also the most terrifying. I did something super daring and unconventional today by drawing construction lines in pencil before I went hog wild with the pen, which helped a lot, although it didn't stop me from accidentally giving her a massive underbite. Huge thanks to everyone who's helped me so far! I'm doing a few weeks of traditional-only to get back into the groove, but doing photo overlays and stuff will be really useful once I go back to digital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
Tragic failure tonight. I feel you need to see the whole series to understand what I was going through (note: these were all attempts at the same picture)

gently caress this!

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

At least it's better than yesterday's... product.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Look out! It's a fearsome frog.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
^^ Oh God drat it now I have to post after that lovely creation. :v:

I drew the eye too small, then erased it and redrew it way too big, and also it's shaped wrong so it looks out of perspective with the rest of the face. Among other issues.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Revol posted:

The preview for size jitter makes it look like little round blobs are going to be in my lines. I'll have to actually play with it.
Make sure you set size jitter to 0. That setting controls the randomness of the brush size, so if it's anything other than 0, the brush will constantly be shifting sizes and produce an uneven line. It's good for texturing but not for the clean finish that I think you're looking for. If you have it set to "Size Jitter: 0; Control: Pen Pressure", that means the width of the line will be totally dependent on how hard you're pressing.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

I've gone back to digital media, because the only traditional tools I have are a fax pen and an HB pencil and it was getting annoying.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
:unsmigghh: You guys have the patience of saints, oh my god. You're fab. I promise I'm actually taking everything on board and trying to improve.

This process started out as a way of learning digital painting way back in the day, so I had to kind of train myself into a phobia of solid lines. Anyway, I overcame that, drew all over my reference to see how the facial features lined up, and tried some line drawing, paying as much attention as I could to perspective. This is what I ended up with:

The second one is actually from the same photo as 06/01 and I think it looks a bit better - it's definitely a far better reproduction - so that's something at least!

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
I feel obligated to mention that in addition to being artistically great, that frog is also super-cute. :3:

Also super-cute:

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
Some amphibians, vaguely fitting the monthly theme, including an air-breathing aquatic deer that eats crabs and a frog dragon:

And today's face. The dude in the photo had big eyes but I still think I drew them too large, plus the angle of the inner lid on the closest one is wrong. On the other hand, I'm quite happy with the nose!

E: Would it help if I started posting the reference photos? I didn't do it originally because I was working digitally and most of my reference material is several years old and saved without a source, so I couldn't give credit, but now I'm mostly working from magazines so that's not a problem anymore. On the other hand I'm not sure how helpful it would be, because I'm trying to learn how to draw faces, not copy photographs, and you all can tell when I've screwed up without the reference; I try to choose fairly beautiful people so that I'll know any irregularities of feature are my fault, not just a funny-looking model.

Avshalom fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 8, 2015

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
Hah, the face was actually even bigger originally! You can see the original line of the temple and hairline just off to the side. I always try to give them enough cranium to fit a brain in but for some reason there's this real instinct to put a huge face on a tiny little skull.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
Oh, that makes a lot of sense too! I see it now. Thank you.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
A bit of a complicated angle for someone who can't even draw straight-on 3/4, but I'm actually kind of happy with it.

I had to erase a million times to try to get everything lined up. Luckily I'm not using one of my bargain-bin sketchbooks that disintegrate if you breathe on them.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Digital again. This time I focused on laying down a full set of lines before I started painting.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

I had a comic once, but it died because making pages took too long for me to fit in with anything resembling an adult life. I'm trying to figure out how to draw stuff more loosely so that I can churn out pages more quickly without it looking like poo poo.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

I've always been bad at drawing people looking down, so I tried that today.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

I haven't drawn from imagination for ages.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

I used to do cross-hatching all the time, and was wondering why I stopped. Now, several hours later, I remember.

Usually I make the faces too long and narrow. This time I overcompensated and went in the opposite direction, which is hopefully a sign of progress and not regression.

E: Actually, looking at a smaller version, I think the issue is that the mouth and chin area is too big. What do you think, CC?

Avshalom fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 12, 2015

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

I'm feeling pretty seedy today, so here's one more simple straight-on view before I commit myself to 3/4 and profile shots for the rest of the month. Is the cranium-to-face ratio better here? The face looks way too small to me now, but I think I've shown that I'm not a good judge of that.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

I have a degree in graphic design. It took me four years and cost sixty thousand dollars.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
Your frogs are cute! The highlights are good, very slick-looking. Some deeper shadows will make them pop more and bring out the shape of the frog.

Seriously, is there anything better than frogs?

Help, I can't stop. (There's only one more of these to go and then we can move on and put it behind us.)

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
*sultry pout*

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
Wow, that lighting looks awesome! I genuinely thought it was a photo from the thumbnail. Great job on the fearsome teeth, too.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

I promise this is the last one.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

I'll be perfectly honest with you, I went out and had some cocktails before I got around to drawing this, so it probably shouldn't count as daily practice. But it does. It'll look really wonky in the morning probably

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

I'm so, so close to being happy with this one, but it's just not quite there. I've been staring at it for the past 90 minutes so I decided to stop fiddling with it and just post. The odd thing in the background is there because the reference is playing the harp, which does weird things to the light source because it's irregularly shaped and full of holes; I didn't want to get distracted by drawing the whole instrument so I just threw in some shadows to give some idea of what's going on.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Attractive women are my kryptonite. :cripes:

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
Quicker sketches today, because I think I spend too much time trying to render and also I'm getting a bit burnt out on these.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

I did this one really quickly and I'm a bit surprised by how much I like it.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Lumpy posted:

While I suspect if I were to look closely I could find "errors" in proportion, perspective, etc, this is a really wonderful painting. I'm inspired by your progress, the fact that you actually post almost daily, and your ability to actually put your work out there. Despite reading Art and Fear, I have a really, really hard time posting anything and I've bailed on hitting 'submit' twenty or more times for everything of mine that's made it into these threads.
:unsmith: Thank you, that's really kind of you. I definitely couldn't have improved at all without all the help I've been getting from this thread. And don't worry, it's natural to be afraid of putting your stuff out in public. I really liked the painting that you did earlier, but maybe you could start with quicker sketches if you'd like to try posting stuff daily? That way you haven't spent as much time on them so you're not as emotionally invested, it might help you get over that first hurdle of just clicking the "submit" button.

I'll post a face later, but for the time being, here's something I finally finished just then.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
Sorry that I missed posting yesterday, I was stranded without any uploading hardware.

I drew these right after getting back from the meat raffle at the local pub, and it shows (I won a meat tray!)

And today's.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Avshalom, how do you stay so productive?
I'm unemployed. :smith:

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Avshalom fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 28, 2015

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
Today's face, and some frogs! The guys at the end are part of a print I'm making, there'll be four of them eventually - they'll be coloured too, but I wanted to post at least one thing that was a bit froggy before the month is up, so you get the lineart instead.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Colour!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

This concludes my month of daily faces. (It's the 31st in Australia.) You've all been really helpful and terrific and I think I've made a bit of progress, which is a great feeling! Thank you all so much. :h:

(Obviously I'll still be practicing, I just probably won't be churning out stuff quite this regularly.)

• Locked thread