Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

redbackground posted:

I got one of my brothers the two hardcover Snowpiercer volumes (I didn't actually know if he had already seen the movie yet, but he had and loved it)

I had no idea there was a Snowpiercer comic. I assume that's what this means. How is it? I just googled and the art style looks pretty cool but how's the pacing/writing/etc hold up in adaptation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You have it backwards there.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
I got How to Be Happy, the first Corto Maltese, and Wrenchies, but they're waiting for me back at the dorms.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

A Tin Of Beans posted:

I had no idea there was a Snowpiercer comic. I assume that's what this means. How is it? I just googled and the art style looks pretty cool but how's the pacing/writing/etc hold up in adaptation?
The comics were written in the early 80s, but they look like they could have come out today--they're very well illustrated.

I haven't actually read them myself; reviews were very positive, and they seemed like a good gift he wasn't expecting.

I do know that the movie plot is quite different, as in Volume 2, we learn there is a second train living in perpetual fear of crashing into the first one.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 2, 2015

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

If he was having sex with her, sure. I don't know if that was implied since I never read anything other than Death during that era.

I'm not very well-read in that era of Superman but I think it was and I think she reacted fairly appropriately when the bomb was finally dropped.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

McSpanky posted:

I'm not very well-read in that era of Superman but I think it was and I think she reacted fairly appropriately when the bomb was finally dropped.
Yeah, she was just a little bit pissed off.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

redbackground posted:

I do know that the movie plot is quite different, as in Volume 2, we learn there is a second train living in perpetual fear of crashing into the first one.

The film is a (imo, better) adaptation of "Volume 1"... which was actually the only intended volume. The second was written by an entirely different writer years after the original had died, and it feels really fanfictiony.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
I never thought to check it out until today, but it turns out there's a recording of "This Vicious Cabaret" from that one chapter of V For Vendetta.

It's a pretty good melody and it absolutely fits the comic. It's a pity it feels so rushed, though, those are good lyrics and it would have been nice if the singer had more time to get through them.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

qntm posted:

I never thought to check it out until today, but it turns out there's a recording of "This Vicious Cabaret" from that one chapter of V For Vendetta.

It's a pretty good melody and it absolutely fits the comic. It's a pity it feels so rushed, though, those are good lyrics and it would have been nice if the singer had more time to get through them.

David J is from Bauhaus and is a friend of Moore's, so he had the benefit of consulting the writer.

Man I wish someone recorded the paraphrased version of Sympathy for the Devil that he did in League 1969. Moore loves doing songs in his comics, but it is never a good idea unless your name is Adam Warren.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I got JSA Omnibus Vol. 2 for Christmas after checking its quality by you goons and so far the book does not disappoint!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I pre-ordered the second JSA omnibus in the summer (when it was cheaper), and I got the X-Men Inferno Prologue for my birthday, so the only comics-related Christmas gift I asked for from anyone was the first volume of the new series of New Teen Titans paperback reprints. Hopefully they won't completely arse it up like they did with the omnibus.

I got a whole bunch of other really dorky stuff, but it wasn't really comics-related.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

The film is a (imo, better) adaptation of "Volume 1"... which was actually the only intended volume. The second was written by an entirely different writer years after the original had died, and it feels really fanfictiony.

I liked the 2nd book better, I thought that the first was done much better as the movie. The second expands the world just a bit. Both books are great examples of really bleak post-apocalyptic sci fi, but I found it a bit much.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
To me, the book was a logical endpoint if we looked at it "realistically"? But the film was a better story using that device. Vol. 2 just sort of killed my suspension of disbelief about the whole concept.

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I got Battling Boy and now I can join the chorus of people asking when the next Battling Boy is coming out.

Should I bother with the prequel Pope didn't actually draw and is lumbered with a bunch of bad reviews on Amazon because of that?

tenniseveryone fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jan 3, 2015

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I know this is probably old news but I just came across a copy of Spider-Man: Ends of the Earth at the library and I can't stop laughing at the title

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

tenniseveryone posted:

I got Battling Boy and now I can join the chorus of people asking when the next Battling Boy is coming out.

Should I bother with the prequel Pope didn't actually draw and is lumbered with a bunch of bad reviews on Amazon because of that?

I didn't think Aurora West was bad or anything. If I was expecting another full color Pope book though I might have been disappointed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So a serious question, if your local comic shop offered an incentive to buy trades from them, like a "BUY 4 GET 1 FREE" would it entice you to shop there more often over the internet?

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Rhyno posted:

So a serious question, if your local comic shop offered an incentive to buy trades from them, like a "BUY 4 GET 1 FREE" would it entice you to shop there more often over the internet?

Yes. The main reason I get my trades off Amazon is they are CHEAPER by a long shot.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Was Taters posted:

Yes. The main reason I get my trades off Amazon is they are CHEAPER by a long shot.

And what if it was a rolling program that allowed you to buy them one at a time instead of all at once?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

And what if it was a rolling program that allowed you to buy them one at a time instead of all at once?

Without doubt.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm probably going to to start a "Help me make my shop better" thread soon but I appreciate the feedback thus far. Now that I'm I charge of all the comic related nonsense I want to make the most of it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

I'm probably going to to start a "Help me make my shop better" thread soon but I appreciate the feedback thus far. Now that I'm I charge of all the comic related nonsense I want to make the most of it.

Well just so you know, I'd shop at my local comic book shop more if they burned their building to the ground and sold books by throwing them onto the road.

Haha, I'm kidding, I don't have a local comic book shop.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Definitely. It probably wouldn't make me come to the store more often, but when I was in the store it'd definitely encourage me to buy more. Especially with a stamp program or whatever, because I rarely have it in my budget to purchase 4 trades in addition to whatever I was there to buy in the first place, but an extra trade every week or two certainly.

One thing a store I visited when I was a kid used to do, every visit they would write down how much you spent, and then after your tenth visit they would average that out and give you that much store credit (i.e if you spend an average of 10 bucks every trip, after a hundred bucks you get 10 bucks credit). Making it credit based on spending instead of just a flat 10% discount screws with people's heads in a way that encourages them to spend more (or at least it did with 10 year old me) even though they're almost exactly the same thing.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Rhyno posted:

This is actually the only reason I buy stuff from the local shop. They have a customer rewards program where every 11th purchase gets a discount based on the total value of the previous 10 purchases; I think it's a 10% discount, so bigger ticket items in those first ten purchases leads to a better discount. It usually amounts to a free HeroClix booster or comic every few months since I don't buy a lot, but my friend with pull lists and lots of preorders gets pretty deep discounts while the store is still raking in hundreds. The program is also split into comics/trades and games/toys, so there's actually two separate tallies being run for each person's account, but the games and toys have to be over $10 (to prevent the cheaper games like Magic from abusing the system).

There's still times I buy online because even that program can't make up for half off of something, but it's put way more money into the shop than I would've otherwise spent there.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
My local chain of LCSs has a stamp card program, where you get a stamp for every $10 you spend, and after you fill a card with ten stamps, you get a $10 discount on anything in the store. They have similar cards for gaming stuff and for comic subscribers, but I just use the one where you can get stamps for anything.

They also have a "March Madness" or the less-catchy "April Madness" sale month every year, with a different sale on every day of the month. I look forward all year to the days with "Buy One Marvel (or Independent, or DC) TPB and Get One Free," or "Bring in up to four comics with a cover price (so no FCBD or other promotional issues) to get $2 in back issue credit per comic," to clear out unwanted back issues and pick up stuff I missed for free. They always do a fun comic trivia day during that month as well, where you get rewarded with stamps for your useless knowledge.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

My local chain of LCSs has a stamp card program, where you get a stamp for every $10 you spend, and after you fill a card with ten stamps, you get a $10 discount on anything in the store. They have similar cards for gaming stuff and for comic subscribers, but I just use the one where you can get stamps for anything.

They also have a "March Madness" or the less-catchy "April Madness" sale month every year, with a different sale on every day of the month. I look forward all year to the days with "Buy One Marvel (or Independent, or DC) TPB and Get One Free," or "Bring in up to four comics with a cover price (so no FCBD or other promotional issues) to get $2 in back issue credit per comic," to clear out unwanted back issues and pick up stuff I missed for free. They always do a fun comic trivia day during that month as well, where you get rewarded with stamps for your useless knowledge.

Clearly it should be 'April Foolishness'.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Midtown Comics, the physical store, had a program where you received something like $20 store credit for every $100 you spent. It definitely kept me shopping there in my teen years when Manhattan was a cool place to go.

There's a store near me that has had a seemingly indefinite 20% discount on all trades that keeps me coming and keeps me buying a lot.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I think a lot of places do free cash for spending cash instead of a free book for buying books because it is pretty important to the program to be able to buy shut over time instead of all at once, but that means someone could get 4 $12 image trades, and then a $20 marvel trade for the free one.
It's something to keep in mind, but I'm sure you can think of ways around it

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Rhyno posted:

Yes. Although you may want to have it be a dollar amount so someone doesn't only get counted once buying an absolute or, conversely, try to get an absolute as their free one. The place I shop at does this thing called back issue bucks where for every $50 you spend, you get a $5 coupon toward their back issues/sets of comics. I've yet to cash any in yet, as they can be combined and I don't go diving for comics too often, but I like the program.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We currently have a Gaming Rewards Program in the store, it's buy any four games at $19.99 or more each and receive a 5th game for free. If the four games are wildly different prices we average the price and you can get a game at that price point for free or take that amount off a more expensive game. There's also no time limit, you can take a year between purchases if you like.

I'm thinking the same sort of program for TPBs but I don't know what my starting price point should be yet.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I was violently ill for the entire weekend, this is no way to start the new year.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

I was violently ill for the entire weekend, this is no way to start the new year.

drat, I hope you're feeling better. :c

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Feel better! My mother in law just got out of the hospital today, after being admitted on Christmas Day (it has been an intense week and a half with her), we recently found out my aunt has terminal cancer, another friend is in the hospital but just found out he won't need surgery, and now my wife has a cold or something.

Take care of yourselves, folks. Eat well, get plenty of rest, and use hand sanitizer like it's going out of style.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Feel better! My mother in law just got out of the hospital today, after being admitted on Christmas Day (it has been an intense week and a half with her), we recently found out my aunt has terminal cancer, another friend is in the hospital but just found out he won't need surgery, and now my wife has a cold or something.

Yo man I wasn't trying to start a contest.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
So I started doing a podcast with a few like-minded folks a short while ago, which I've resisted talking about here because it felt a bit too much like shameless self-promotion. But that's all changed now, because Charles Soule retweeted us, and I can't not talk about that.

Admittedly, we kind of kissed his rear end a bit, but how could we not? It's Soule.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Chaos Hippy posted:

Admittedly, we kind of kissed his rear end a bit, but how could we not? It's Soule.

Am I the only one who's not a big fan of Soule? Like, I've never actively disliked anything of his I've read, but none of it has ever really impressed me either.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Chaos Hippy posted:

So I started doing a podcast with a few like-minded folks a short while ago, which I've resisted talking about here because it felt a bit too much like shameless self-promotion. But that's all changed now, because Charles Soule retweeted us, and I can't not talk about that.

Well thanks spoilering that.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

bairfanx posted:

Am I the only one who's not a big fan of Soule? Like, I've never actively disliked anything of his I've read, but none of it has ever really impressed me either.

I don't think he has any kind of unique voice, he is just a competent, inoffensive author.
I like his She-Hulk a lot but mainly out of the lawyer solidarity.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

bairfanx posted:

Nah, I'm the same. Thought She-Hulk was better than his average but everything else I've read of his has been very middle-of-the-road. Like you say, not particularly bad but not particularly good either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

His She-Hulk has been quite good, but I've not read any of his other work.

• Locked thread