Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Did you have a good new year? Read some good comics? Bought too much in a Comixology sale and haven't even looked at most of them?!?! Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanzaa/Whatever presents still unopened?

It's 2015. We're promised new Nonplayer and Orc Stain. Can either live up to their delays? (Orc Stain probably will). There will be a poo poo load of variants, events, editorial mandates and far too much Star Wars stuff. More good Image books than should be possible (everyone needs to buy 8house). Every TV show and film will be based on a comic book. Valiant's relaunch will probably go mostly unnoticed. People will be less angry?

Either way. Post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

A Tin Of Beans posted:

The only comics stuff I got for Christmas was the Dr. Doom Funk Pop toy, which is awesome. That is my holiday haul. And, uh, I bought all 3 issues so far of The Fade Out for myself, if that counts!

What is 8house and why should I buy it?

8House is an upcoming number of connected fantasy/sci-fi series from Image. It's basically Brandon Graham and Emma Rios and bunch of other crazy good writers/artists getting to do a sprawling sci fi universe and whatever they want. It'll be like Prophet but with even more crazier and talented people getting to plot things out more. If you've read Prophet and Pretty Deadly you kind of know what to expect, if you haven't you should read those books too cos they are pretty great.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

YayTop Shelf sticking around and getting some added security is the best thing to happen, especially since everybody seems to be sticking in the same/similar role.

IDW is just a weird publisher to me, they've got those great artist collections and are publishing Corto Maltese now but 90% of their output seems to be Star Trek x My Little Pony x pretty much every single 80's franchise possible.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Island is straight up my dream book I've always wanted to exist.

This year feels like the Image that was hyped up a few years back.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Hakkesshu posted:

I know that, that's not what I mean.

Yeah I agree, was thinking of doing one up a few weeks back but thought it be better to see how the Expo went. No doubt that Image will be getting most of my money this year.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Do we really need to have this conversation. Again.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Anyway here's Kurt Busiek getting mad that Claremont/Byrne is bad X-Men and the Dark Phoenix ruined things and he won't read the book until they change it.

(and Claremont's response).

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Yeah. It's a great triple whammy of someone thinking Claremont/Byrne ruined X-Men, it being Busiek and that arguably the entire X-Men's defining run is the breaking point.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

There were a bit too many stickies but both it and the recommendation thread are still open and around.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Waterhaul, your new avatar reminds me, did you read the 12 Reasons to Die comic? it was actually really super good.

I remember when it came out originally giving it a miss cos I wasn't expecting great things but I've been listening to the album a lot lately so should really give it a shot.

I was kind of burned on Ghostface and comics when Wu-Massacre ending up having Ghost, Method and Chris Bachalo art and I still ended up being disappointed.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

zoux posted:

Remember when the Ultimate universe was awesome and then they let Jeph Loeb murder it. I assume editorial signed off on it, what was the rationale there?

Ultimates was never coming out, Ultimate X-Men had gone awful, Bendis was consdiering killing off Peter, Loeb just said let me completely change everything.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Well the other thing was that when Ultimates started nobody really gave a poo poo about 616 Avengers, people cared more about X-Men or Spider-Man, so it gave people modern Avengers with the main characters. Then Bendis revitalized the 616 Avengers, Ultimates kept being delayed, and the Ultimate Universe didn't really serve a point. Letting Loeb completely change things and kill off most of the universe was to try and differentiate it enough from 616 that it felt like stuff mattered again and you weren't rehashing plot points.

Of course it was Loeb and it failed terribly and every reboot has just attempted the same thing over and over again with diminishing returns.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

I hate Disney just buying every company but if it gets people to finally shut up about Rom returning they can buy 'em.

Rhyno posted:

Was Fraction even invited?

There's got to be a really great behind the scenes story on Fraction leaving Marvel because Hawkeye went from the must have Eisner winning book and example of what Marvel should be doing to them not even caring if the run ends or not and just pushing ahead with Lemire's run.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Hakkesshu posted:

I know every post you make has to poo poo on Marvel but surely either Fraction or Aja are also maybe a little bit culpable here. The release schedule for Hawkeye was (is?) so completely hosed it's impossible for me to give a poo poo about that book nowadays.

Okay? I don't care about the book but was just reiterating stuff that's already out there.

It was more the fact that Fraction said he finished his scripts ages ago so he's done with the book but still tried to publicly take heat for the delays off Aja, he left Inhumans due to "creative differences" and dropped FF/Fantastic Four very quickly. He also publicly spoke out that he wasn't happy with how Marvel were treating him and his wife.

Like I wasn't making GBS threads on Marvel, just saying there's a story there more than just the book is late.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

I will have you know I only poo poo on the Whedon related ones and didn't care for Winter Soldier. I actually enjoyed Guardians :colbert:

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Steve Blum forever, even if it is just a regular Steve Blum voice.

EDIT: Gaz-L knows what's up.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

zoux posted:

Gah millenials and their lack of growing up with the OG Animated X-Men!

I will have you know I grew up with the 90's cartoon and also recognize Christopher Daniel Barnes as the one true Spider-Man voice :colbert:

I've just always preferred Blum's Wolverine.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

WickedHate posted:

Wolverine and the X-Men was the best X-Men cartoon and I can't be convinced otherwise.

I agree.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Yeah Marvel's TV shows exist to attempt to keep the MCU in popular consciousness all year round and be "interconnected". Agents of SHIELD, Agent Carter, Daredevil and the films all effectively line up so you're always watching some Marvel show. DC shows are just whatever shows a Network is interested in making.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

To be honest even if you did keep up with Netflix stuff it's easy enough to miss as it's only in the last few weeks that they've given any information out most of the shows.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Jeff Wiiver posted:

I googled this out of curiosity and his Wikipedia page made me laugh out loud:

That's top 5 most delusional things I've ever read. I'm sure it was "satire" though.

Campbell had a very public breaking down and burned all their bridges and it kind of seemed as if they were just trying to do meta art but then eventually they came out that they were transitioning and really not handling it well and just wanted out of everything. I think it was Max Temkin that picked up the slack and sent out the rest of the books of his own accord.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Endless Mike posted:

Guys, I haven't been reminded that Jason Todd is the best character ever in a few days and I'm forgetting that he is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0AKJMGxwpE

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

But y'know people could talk about all the comics they are reading rather than terrible posters!

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Literally The Worst posted:

I don't read comics. They're for feebs and plebes.

Fine. Graphic novels, sheesh.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

I guess by a real thing it's a South Park joke.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

icantfindaname posted:

Isn't Alan Moore also a literal crazy person and convicted kiddiefucker?

What.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Liefeld Status: still owns

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

It comes beforehand.

He took over from JMS who was throwing another strop over not wanting to do what he had agreed with editorial.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

There are a million different books you could recommend over a ton of genres with the simple fact of "do you like to read books with pictures in them".

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

On top of it being terrible the date is wrong, it was pulled forward to March 2016 a while back.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, my point was that Tarr and Rogriguez draw Dinah and MJ as if they emptied an entire truck's worth of total hold hairspray onto their heads in a hurricane.

I think it's just the art style. Ideally with someone like Spider-Gwen I'd expect that she should be more Hayley Williams than glam rock.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

In case people were wondering what Fraction and Kelly Sue were going to do now that they've effectively left Marvel.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Strontosaurus posted:

It didn't occur to me until just now, but I can almost guarantee that his wife is going to take the comics for the special needs learning center she runs. :kiddo:

This is the best thing to do with comics.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

People read ROM the same way people read MiracleMan for years.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

You should know by now whether you line up with the majority of BSS opinions.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

zoux posted:

Well good news for you absurd Romlikers.

quote:

Sadly, we’re not counting on ROM the Spaceknight making an appearance though.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Sure is very surprising that they are a Red Hood and the Outlaws fan...

And yeah Khouri getting a job at DC is a good thing, part of post Convergence stuff working is getting good editors in and Mark Doyle can't edit everything.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

While Hudson was still in charge back when the Starfire originally happened Khouri made plenty of comments on it and other dumb things both DC and Marvel have done. Which if anything at least shows DC are willing to hire someone who has been publicly critical of some of the issues they've had.

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Mar 4, 2015

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Gaz-L posted:

This is true but the piece he's talking about in that diatribe was written by Hudson herself.

Oh I know but it felt like he was just hating on anybody that was at ComicsAlliance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Vincent posted:

Sophie Campbell (creator of Shadoweyes and artist on the new Jem comic series) came out as transgendered. Good on her!

Good for her. She's ridiculously talented and all things considered if you followed her work/tumblr/twitter you could tell that this was going to happen eventually.

• Locked thread