Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro
A great reforming Premier may be thrown to the lions because some Queensland voters were fooled by dark enchantments cast by Bikie scum. This reality is an illusion. Dehumanize yourself and face to Newman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

and Australia just scored again :woop:

Looks like everyone's kicked a goal tonight.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
:twentyfour:'s saying Labor might get as high as 46 or 47 maybe.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

:twentyfour:'s saying Labor might get as high as 46 or 47 maybe.

The ABC web site has 44-40 to the ALP with 3 seats in doubt all tilting towards Labor.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Damnit hurry up and blow the drat whistle. We can then fill the Cup with Tory tears! Then do a lap of honour!!!

Drint Blasters
Jul 1, 2007

A giant boot kicking Newman forever

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
CAPTAIN KILL

Just HEAPS of dead Palestinnos for brekkie, mate!
Did anyone ever dream Labor would be in the 40's this morning?

Hell, did any political commentator?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

ASIC v Danny Bro posted:

No, no one did. Clearly the QLD electorate don't know what they're doing. Just ask Dennis Shanahan: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...w-1227203642053

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

SOCCEROOS WON YEAAAAH BOI

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
CAPTAIN KILL

Just HEAPS of dead Palestinnos for brekkie, mate!
We won the cup, Newman is speaking as well.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Newman's talking.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Australia wins, Campbell loses, the LNP loses Queensland, I feel like SA has let everyone down for the day with only a 6% swing in their favour but losing in Davenport

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
The Victorian election was anticipated to be quite close also and, as I recall, I was giggling over lnp tears since quite early evening. There's a very vocal minority of supporters... or a bias towards reporting lnp support... or a quietly simmering discontent (it's all these things). I think its also because both the majors are 6 of one half dozen of the other and we still rely on a 2pp outlook so it's difficult to quantify outcomes of the same turd rolled in different coloured glitter.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

All the people shouting for Newman to not end his political career must be secret ALP supporters.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
12% swing to Labor and only 1% swing to Greens? Queenslanders proving once again that even when they're right, they're wrong. :psyduck:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Newman is saying he killed QLD when he sent it to a far better place. Much like his political career.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Newman says "My political career is over" and it takes 10 empty seconds and a bunch of gee ups from someone in the crowd to get the LNP faithful to shout out "No!" :lol:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

People who care about Campbell Newman.jpg

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
this whole thing is glorious. well done Qld. :golfclap:

slorb
May 14, 2002
Ding dong the witch is dead

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

NTRabbit posted:

Australia wins, Campbell loses, the LNP loses Queensland, I feel like SA has let everyone down for the day with only a 6% swing in their favour but losing in Davenport

Voted Greens 1st, LNP last, bought three Democracy Sausages (seriously my favourite phrase to come out of today) ... I did all I could do.

Oh god Newman is going to make out with that dude with the short hair next to him on stage.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

12% swing to Labor and only 1% swing to Greens? Queenslanders proving once again that even when they're right, they're wrong. :psyduck:

I wonder if Labor is now going to create a senate to hold the legislative assembly's power to account.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Gentleman Baller posted:

I wonder if Labor is now going to create a senate to hold the legislative assembly's power to account.

Could just have proportional representation in the lower houahahahaha no loving chance of that.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Gentleman Baller posted:

Nah mate, why would we reduce our own power? - The Australian Labor Party

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Doubtful, given they refused to commit to handing over judicial appointments to an independent commission like it's done IN EVERY OTHER STATE.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

ASIC v Danny Bro posted:

I DID

I MADE A BET ON IT

:getin:

I am politically aroused.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Unimpressed posted:

Doubtful, given they refused to commit to handing over judicial appointments to an independent commission like it's done IN EVERY OTHER STATE.

What are you talking about, I can't identify a single state where there's an independent commission with the power to make or revoke judicial appointments

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Any more tears to report? Who wrote that laughable opinion piece just now?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Those On My Left posted:

What are you talking about, I can't identify a single state where there's an independent commission with the power to make or revoke judicial appointments

"The state’s law society and council for civil liberties have called for a commission such as in NSW, which independently assesses prospective magistrates or judges."

From here: http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/jan/30/queensland-election-lnp-and-labor-reject-reform-of-judicial-appointments

This is true at Federal level too, as far as I know.

e: I was wrong about it being like that in the other states though.

Unimpressed fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jan 31, 2015

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Brown Paper Bag posted:

Any more tears to report? Who wrote that laughable opinion piece just now?

Des Houghton, Courier Mail. I remember him being a dickhead, can't remember specifics.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mithranderp posted:

I DID

I MADE A BET ON IT

I am politically aroused.

Two down - one to go

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Next important question, is Abbott going to spend the next year and a half white anting the gently caress out of the next leader like Rudd did?

And by white anting I mean crashing around like a demented bull, because that's as subtle as he gets.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Unimpressed posted:

"The state’s law society and council for civil liberties have called for a commission such as in NSW, which independently assesses prospective magistrates or judges."

From here: http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/jan/30/queensland-election-lnp-and-labor-reject-reform-of-judicial-appointments

This is true at Federal level too, as far as I know.

Advising on appointments? I thought you meant making them

I am almost dead sure there is no such thing at the federal level, and I don't think we have one on Victoria

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer
The amazing thing about tonight, especially for non-Queenslanders who don't realise, is that the ALP was extinct in Queensland last time round. Not even an ocean of Anna Bligh tears could save them. A handful of no-hopers left over after the apocalypse.

I was just expecting a correction. No-one really expected them to win out right. It's a remarkable comeback. Not that the ALP have the SLIGHTEST loving idea what to do now, they honestly never expected to win.

Arach fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jan 31, 2015

Schlinky
Mar 12, 2009

...Too much drink.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaMX0Cs5Bc4

"Now if there's a smile on my face
It's only there trying to fool the public
But when it comes down to fooling you
Now honey that's quite a different subject

But don't let my glad expression
Give you the wrong impression
Really I'm sad, oh sadder than sad
You're gone and I'm hurting so bad
Like a clown I pretend to be glad"

IT'S HAPPENING :woop:

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Those On My Left posted:

Advising on appointments? I thought you meant making them

I am almost dead sure there is no such thing at the federal level, and I don't think we have one on Victoria

I did, and I was wrong. But the effect of the commission is that a Carmody situation would be highly unlikely, and as it specifically deals with complaints against judges, it all but removes the possibility of the politicians removing a presiding judge or magistrate.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Arach posted:

The amazing thing about tonight, especially for non-Queenslanders who don't realise, is that the ALP was extinct in Queensland last time round. Not even an ocean of Anna Bligh tears could save them. A handful of no-hopers that never one has ever of left over after the apocalypse.

I was just expecting a correction. No-one really expected them to win out right. It's a remarkable comeback. Not that the ALP have the SLIGHTEST loving idea what to do now, they honestly never expected to win.

this really has to be reinforced, it was a stunning loss last election for the ALP and it was said then that it'll take years for the ALP to recover, no-one predicted that they'd recover enough and (likely) win the very next election. it was assumed that the LNP wouldn't gently caress things up as badly as they did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

The FIFO Premier.

• Locked thread