Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Senor Tron posted:

Newman is looking doomed, but the QLD government has such a huge majority that it would take a massive uniform swing to ditch them.

A massive uniform swing is exactly what QLD is known for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Systematic posted:

I'm waiting for Newman to be parachuted into a safe seat, as he kicks the sitting back bencher under the bus on the way down.

I picture Campbell going around parliament tapping people on the shoulder "hey mate, can i have your seat?".

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

gay picnic defence posted:

I know the LNP are terrible, but would they really sink to those levels?

poo poo yeah

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
“I am standing for Ashgrove,” he said.

“Why? Because I met my wife in the electorate. Because I married her in the electorate. I christened my first born in the electorate. My children went to ballet in the electorate, I only live just slightly out of the electorate.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Avshalom posted:

I'm not happy that a woman can be sued for accusing her ex of domestic violence when there's apparently evidence that it did occur on at least one instance, which is one more than what most genuine victims of domestic abuse could ever manage to prove in court. From what I personally know about it, one provable instance pretty much guarantees that there were others. Yeah, there's a chance that she was making poo poo up, but there's an even bigger chance that she wasn't and that the guy totally deserves to get his precious public image tarnished.

Yup. The judgement was literally 'yeah so she is a survivor of domestic violence committed by this man but she defamed him by mentioning it in public.' Straya.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Jumpingmanjim posted:

My children went to ballet in the electorate.

What a loving reason.

Turks
Nov 16, 2006

Fruity Gordo posted:

Yup. The judgement was literally 'yeah so she is a survivor of domestic violence committed by this man but she defamed him by mentioning it in public.' Straya.

Oh man this is awful.
If my house mate hears about this she'll never shut up about it. I mean it's justified to be angry about it but c'mon lady I want to relax and enjoy my privilege at some point.

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥

Turks posted:

c'mon lady I want to relax and enjoy my privilege at some point.

mods

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Fruity Gordo posted:

Without the details on the one actual offense that was recorded then its difficult to make this call.

Implants
Feb 14, 2007

Systematic posted:

I'm waiting for Newman to be parachuted into a safe seat, as he kicks the sitting back bencher under the bus on the way down.

He's been trying to do this for ages already. It ain't happening, the LNP are understandably looking forward to getting rid of him. Tim Nichols started measuring up the Premier's Office for new drapes months ago.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Laserface posted:

Without the details on the one actual offense that was recorded then its difficult to make this call.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
The gender who cried wolf. :henget:

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

Jumpingmanjim posted:

I picture Campbell going around parliament tapping people on the shoulder "hey mate, can i have your seat?".

"Hmmm, that electorate on the other side of the park looks nice"

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
The judgement on that is pretty interesting. Essentially, there may or may not have been some low-level abuse occurring (no evidence for or against), and there's fairly substantial character witnesses for him, including other relationships (and former relationships). She's twisted her evidence to suit her, and he's twisted his to suit him. Ultimately, her biggest mistakes in the case were by denying that she ever made the posts (when there were screenshots to prove otherwise) and otherwise had no evidence of abuse to support her claim. A lot of the transcripts provided detailing the abuse are pretty much struck out by the judge as being inconsistent or contradictory, and she's filled her defense with so much bullshit that the noise outnumbers the signal. Hence, broke-rear end.

tl;dr she may have been abused or not, but she's lied enough in court that it's impossible to tell if there was any

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Systematic posted:

"Hmmm, that electorate on the other side of the park looks nice"

And to think we would be in for Premier Flegg if he had just managed to keep his penis out of that bottle glass of wine.

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jan 2, 2015

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

ewe2 posted:

What a loving reason.

That was my response, your kids go to the ballet do they? Because that's REALLY relevant somehow.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Jumpingmanjim posted:

And to think we would be in for Premier Flegg if he had just managed to keep his penis out of that bottle glass of wine.

Wasn't that Dowling? Or was he implicated in some other sexual scandal?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Mithranderp posted:

Wasn't that Dowling? Or was he implicated in some other sexual scandal?

Ah you're right, sometimes i get my Penises mixed up.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

gay picnic defence posted:

Probably, although I imagine there is more to getting the job than simply being an unskilled bogan. They'd be looking for someone of pretty good character, attention to detail and work ethic because of the potential of serious accidents whenever aircraft are involved. Technically its unskilled but it isn't something Bazza from Frankston can drop out of year 10 and jump straight into. Ditto with the Ford/Holden workers. A bad worker can gently caress up hundreds if not thousands of cars before anyone notices, with pretty serious consequences for customer safety and the reputation of the company so they aren't exactly just giving the first high school dropout to put their hand up a job.

Look, good character. I once logged with a "bag chucker" as he called himself, and he was a literal ephebophile.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Murodese posted:

The judgement on that is pretty interesting. Essentially, there may or may not have been some low-level abuse occurring (no evidence for or against), and there's fairly substantial character witnesses for him, including other relationships (and former relationships). She's twisted her evidence to suit her, and he's twisted his to suit him. Ultimately, her biggest mistakes in the case were by denying that she ever made the posts (when there were screenshots to prove otherwise) and otherwise had no evidence of abuse to support her claim. A lot of the transcripts provided detailing the abuse are pretty much struck out by the judge as being inconsistent or contradictory, and she's filled her defense with so much bullshit that the noise outnumbers the signal. Hence, broke-rear end.

tl;dr she may have been abused or not, but she's lied enough in court that it's impossible to tell if there was any

This was my reading of it as well but given its instead being held up as Straya patriarchy against her by people who didn't read the case it was foolish of me to bring it up to be looked at as "hey guys now defamation applies to social media" rather than "no he is in fact a serial abuser and it is the courts who are wrong."

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Lid posted:

This was my reading of it as well but given its instead being held up as Straya patriarchy against her by people who didn't read the case it was foolish of me to bring it up to be looked at as "hey guys now defamation applies to social media" rather than "no he is in fact a serial abuser and it is the courts who are wrong."

Knowing Auspol, the later is exactly the way it was always going to be interpreted. Due process and presumption of innocence be damned! Surely, it does not matter if a few innocents get heaped in with the guilty, right?

As social media has become more relevant in day to day life, it was only a matter of time before such a case eventuated. People are being held more accountable for their interactions online with each year, which will put pressure on people to be cautious in what they put online, either in text or other media forms. It's more surprising to me that people didn't expect this, because the ship pretty much sailed when employers started doing background checks into people's Facebook and other online activities.

CrazyTolradi fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jan 2, 2015

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

Fruity Gordo posted:

The correct public venue for accusing someone of perpetuating decades of domestic abuse is a police report, not Facebook.

The judgement acknowledged one instance of abuse. Defamation proceedings assume a claim is false and expect proof of not only the literal meaning of the defamatory statement to be provided, but also any imputations the statement may raise. If she had just said "he assaulted/abused me" she probably would've been fine because there's ample evidence to support that. Insinuating that he had been abusing her for decades without any evidence to support that is defamatory.

What the judge figuratively said was "yeah so she is a survivor of domestic violence committed by this man but she defamed him by implying he was a serial offender over several decades rather than the one instance there's evidence of."

Being a victim of a crime doesn't get you a free pass on other offences.

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011
Both parties are at fault.

SHE should have shut the gently caress up, and not posted the accusations ONLINE.

HE should have not abused her (whether it was once, or multple that's another story. Let the courts do it's job.).

Let the courts decide, not social media. We have enough bullshit flying around on facebook/youtube as it is. The last thing we want is FACEBOOK- Courtroom edition. As we know accusations can be very destructive- even when proven false.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3691105&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=16

Mafia is running. you can read the stupidness here.

Anidav just went nuts on sodabulbs and flew off a balcony carrying a tv.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Systematic posted:

Both parties are at fault.

SHE should have shut the gently caress up, and not posted the accusations ONLINE.

HE should have not abused her (whether it was once, or multple that's another story. Let the courts do it's job.).

Let the courts decide, not social media. We have enough bullshit flying around on facebook/youtube as it is. The last thing we want is FACEBOOK- Courtroom edition. As we know accusations can be very destructive- even when proven false.

But the police are just a tool of the bourgeois oppressors to maintain the class system! The courts are clearly corrupt and we should cast aside the justice system as it stands. Let the people decide!

CrazyTolradi fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jan 2, 2015

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I deserve a job after this.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
is "this" job stuff or reading those posts

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Anidav posted:

A massive uniform swing is exactly what QLD is known for.

Nobody else seemed to, but I liked this one.

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Word cloud for December, this word cloud goes out to all the pregnant Auspol regulars, but particularly the one I recently learned was pregnant:

And here's a special bonus word cloud for all of 2014 to ring in the new year:

2014: JFMAMJJASON

2013: AMJJASOND

Last months best posts:

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Tell Cartoon I am sad I can not meet him to get ideas for my parents' own composting toilet setup. They are so far the only people I've explained The Grid to who have not responded with "Ew why would you want to do that" but with Brisbane? Haha it's not necessary because we're going to be terrible people. With Queenslanders you have to wait until they start talking about black people or daylight savings. At least you usually don't have to wait very long.

Cartoon posted:

Does he mention the bit where the Allied high command repeatedly ignored the requests for more supplies and better supply lines resulting in 'Aw Diggas' getting less than 10% of the resulting overpay would have resulted in serious talk about broadcast licences being pulled. At the risk of The Arsetralian showing MH17 victims, in colour, on the subs' but I would have proponents of our terrible policies attempt to spread the contagion.

I still don't see how it can't be used to convince my stated target audience (non-psychopaths) of the 145,000 from a subsequent epidemic would suggest that it is being challenged under isn't that it is not a clear direction to the internet. Please use this opportunity to crash the government might have been exploiting for shallow electoral gain.

So first lets look at rebuilding them from the grinding harassment and degradation of the screening.

Which brings me to:-

Am I alone in thinking that at least some of this elevated 'chatter' is dumb fucks on facebook telling lost wallet stories? Either that or the Tories using the abbreviation for social Security and SS and then going with Nazi gags. I fear that this wasn't the case.

Now while he had a licence this throws up a bunch of cute cats breeding in an uncontrolled fashion and see if that got some extra miles. Fundamentally however, we need to consider what our population plan actually is before we look at ways to half arsedly enact piecemeal poo poo that far too many people want to show leadership address the issue Bill. I usually only want to do anything but tow their handler's scripted lines. gently caress that dystopian nightmare.

Cartoon's Christmas miracle? My IPA subscribing Dad called NTATA an idiot!

Gough Suppressant posted:

I used to play hockey and have heard multiple stories of guys losing a first term government after being found guilty of an assault which lead to death any brown skinned person who tries to come to a fuller and better understanding of what happened and how to increase productivity and economic growth in the transaction and then your whole system comes tumbling down.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I love how milk and blood are on each side of Aus in December, so interesting

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

MUSLIMS CALLING DOCTORS CURRENTLY HAPPENING OBVIOUSLY TERRORISM KILLING UNIVERSITY FEES WRITING ISLAMIC TONES ACCESS DOMESTIC STUDENTS TERRORISTS ALLOWED SECURITY.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
Thinking Lindt Dead

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I think we broke our Anidav. Is he still in warranty?

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Anidav posted:

MUSLIMS CALLING DOCTORS CURRENTLY HAPPENING OBVIOUSLY TERRORISM KILLING UNIVERSITY FEES WRITING ISLAMIC TONES ACCESS DOMESTIC STUDENTS TERRORISTS ALLOWED SECURITY.

Anidav was said more often than Hockey. Almost as much as Information.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

hooman posted:

I think we broke our Anidav. Is he still in warranty?

IDK, I'll call Umart and check.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Umart's warranty policy sucks. Send me to Computer Alliance.

Anidav fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jan 2, 2015

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Go back to where you came from.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Very well, I will journey to Mecca. Take a word of advice and stay away from Sydney on Australia Day.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Anidav posted:

Very well, I will journey to Mecca. Take a word of advice and stay away from Sydney on Australia Day.

Just stay away from sydney tbqh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

I never understood this name. A scallop is a fishy clam thing or something. Potato Cake makes much more sense.

• Locked thread