Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

orange juche posted:

I feel so sorry for you.

I'm getting payed retarded amounts of money to take barely high school level schooling. Got an LLD chit for my plantar fasciitis so I don't even have to march.
BAH when you have an almost payed off house in the 94560 is a wet dream.
I'll be alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Was going to make a big care/effort post about this but will just say this, if you think that middie has a Marine Corps GCM and not Navy Reserve Meritorious Service, ie, GCM, for a guy with an FMF device, I don't know what to do with you.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Laranzu posted:

He is an idiot.

Black Sparrow or Hula Moon were the two best shops in town. Hula for American and bold color.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Can we empty quote an empty quote? I'm half drink on Costco booze so I'm doing it

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Looks like it works. I have some stuff from Hula Moon and a buddy has an insanely sick full sleeve from Black Sparrow. Those are the only two local places I'll trust. There's a place in Ft. Walton called Sail Away tattoo that does awesome traditional stuff. Got work from them at a tattoo convention. I get most of my stuff from a guy back home in mississippi so it's not really feasible to recommend to other people.

In pensacola the problem with hula moon and black sparrow is they cost what they're worth and stupid poo poo navy kids want a cheap tattoo and good tattoo isn't cheap and a cheap tattoo isn't good.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Fart Sandwiches posted:

In pensacola ... a ... tattoo ... isn't ... good.

Sorry, for some reason my brain keeps editing it down to that set of words. Really weird.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Fart Sandwiches posted:

In pensacola the problem with hula moon and black sparrow is they cost what they're worth and stupid poo poo navy kids want a cheap tattoo and good tattoo isn't cheap and a cheap tattoo isn't good.

My side piece was Hawaii expensive, and entirely worth it.

My chest piece was from an old guy in the ghetto of Hawaii who just happens to have a ton of experience. Strangely cheap considering he and sailor Jerry were tattooing together.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:

Nick Soapdish posted:

Was going to make a big care/effort post about this

Citation 1a posted:

masted by ManMythLegend

v/R

PO2 (GIP) Analogical
1MGUR JLAW Analyst
NIOC-SA
666-6669

Analogical fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jan 31, 2015

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Doing the IDC Lord's work here. Made me feel better after being pissed all evening when my car decided not to start today or take a jump. Going to try changing the starter tomorrow with beer-payment, friend labor assistance.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Analogical posted:

v/R

PO2 (GIP) Analogical
1MGUR JLAW Analyst
NIOC-SA
666-6669

i agree

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Analogical posted:

v/R

PO2 (GIP) Analogical
1MGUR JLAW Analyst
NIOC-SA
666-6669

Yo dog, you're probably right but that segment of the awards manual isn't saying what you think it is.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

ManMythLegend posted:

Yo dog, you're probably right but that segment of the awards manual isn't saying what you think it is.

This is a big part of why the war is taking so long. I interpreted it as that someone with 15 months of enlisted time in service would continue to accrue time towards the GCM when moved to a midshipman status and be eligible to earn it while at class. The reserve GCM with the blue was phased out in 2014, so he would have had to earn it before then in 2014. He isn't a 1/C if his right sleeve is an indication, and I don't know how MIDN officer ranking works, but I'd assume a prior would move into that role quickly, so I put him at probably 3/C, with his last year of GCM service accrued at the academy, but I guess he could have done three years prior to it.

Analogical fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 30, 2015

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Analogical posted:

This is a big part of why the war is taking so long. I interpreted it as that someone with 15 months of enlisted time in service would continue to accrue time towards the GCM when moved to a midshipman status and be eligible to earn it while at class. The reserve GCM with the blue was phased out in 2014, so he would have had to earn it before then in 2014. He isn't a 1/C if his right sleeve is an indication, and I don't know how MIDN officer ranking works, but I'd assume a prior would move into that role quickly, so I put him at probably 3/C, with his last year of GCM service accrued at the academy, but I guess he could have done three years prior to it.

No, what it's saying is that if you accept an appointment as a midshipman at the academy and then, for whatever non-conduct related reason, you don't complete the program and earn a commission, then that time honorably served as a midshipman counts as time towards a GCM if the former midshipman is sent to the fleet as an enlisted sailor to finish any commitment accrued.

So here's an example: You go to the academy for 2.5 years before you get tossed out for academic reasons. After starting your third year at USNA you immediately acquire ~5 year commitment to the Navy whether you graduate or not. The Navy reviews your package and decides to enforce the commitment instead of waiving it, and you end up in the fleet as a seaman. So long as you weren't taken to mast at USNA during your two years there, then you only have to have 1.5 more years of service to reach your 4 year mark for a GCM.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

Analogical posted:

v/R

PO2 (GIP) Analogical
1MGUR JLAW Analyst
NIOC-SA
666-6669

:eyepop:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

ManMythLegend posted:

No, what it's saying is that if you accept an appointment as a midshipman at the academy and then, for whatever non-conduct related reason, you don't complete the program and earn a commission, then that time honorably served as a midshipman counts as time towards a GCM if the former midshipman is sent to the fleet as an enlisted sailor to finish any commitment accrued.

So here's an example: You go to the academy for 2.5 years before you get tossed out for academic reasons. After starting your third year at USNA you immediately acquire ~5 year commitment to the Navy whether you graduate or not. The Navy reviews your package and decides to enforce the commitment instead of waiving it, and you end up in the fleet as a seaman. So long as you weren't taken to mast at USNA during your two years there, then you only have to have 1.5 more years of service to reach your 4 year mark for a GCM.

Could someone in theory, be a ring knocker seaman?

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007
There was a dude who got dropped out of USNA and did 2 years of shore duty as a deck seaman, and struck for IS.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

ded posted:

Could someone in theory, be a ring knocker seaman?

Actually no. They literally take your ring away if you get kicked out. I'm not sure if they reimburse you for it or not, but I know it's one of the things they look for during out processing.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

ManMythLegend posted:

Actually no. They literally take your ring away if you get kicked out. I'm not sure if they reimburse you for it or not, but I know it's one of the things they look for during out processing.

lol that's so loving petty

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Fart Sandwiches posted:

lol that's so loving petty

Yeah, but eh. I mean "the ring" has been a very visible sign of a grad for drat near a century so I can see the institution wanting to make sure that they're rather tightly controlled.

What's funny is that there has been a relatively recent trend of ring knockers not even wearing the ring. I fall into that camp. I only wear mine at Academy related events, or fancy Navy occasions where I need to "play the game".

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

ManMythLegend posted:

Yeah, but eh. I mean "the ring" has been a very visible sign of a grad for drat near a century so I can see the institution wanting to make sure that they're rather tightly controlled.

with all of those infallible + terrific usna grads i can see why they wouldn't want someone to sully their Good Name

*sharts cum*

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

justice4trayvawn posted:

with all of those infallible + terrific usna grads i can see why they wouldn't want someone to sully their Good Name

*sharts cum*

It's not really any different then the marines being all high and mighty about the EGA or whatever.

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

ManMythLegend posted:

It's not really any different then the marines being all high and mighty about the EGA or whatever.

every single marine that gets kicked out during boot camp has an EGA tatt

checkmate son

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

justice4trayvawn posted:

checkmate son

You really have no comprehension how much USNA stolen valor hurts us.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

justice4trayvawn posted:

checkmate son

drat it. You got me.

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

vulturesrow posted:

You really have no comprehension how much USNA stolen valor hurts us.

Hoo yah sir, I'll drop it.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

justice4trayvawn posted:

Hoo yah sir, I'll drop it.

Thank you for understanding.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

justice4trayvawn posted:

Hoo yah peggy hill

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

pls explain

THIS AINT NO PUDDLE PIRATE Bar

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

justice4trayvawn posted:

pls explain

THIS AINT NO PUDDLE PIRATE Bar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbdRMdngvmQ

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

loll

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Nick Soapdish posted:

Was going to make a big care/effort post about this but will just say this, if you think that middie has a Marine Corps GCM and not Navy Reserve Meritorious Service, ie, GCM, for a guy with an FMF device, I don't know what to do with you.

It's more believable from a distance. I went to OCS with a guy who was prior Army (SGT), prior AF (TSgt), and then commissioned in the Navy. The DIs used to give him poo poo that he hit all the branches "except the right one". People sometimes take oddball paths to a commission. I know people who have cross commissioned out of the AF Academy and become Army Rangers. *shrugs* It's really not that far-fetched. I'm not saying that's what old boy's actual ribbon is, but that's certainly what it looks like.

justice4trayvawn posted:

*sharts cum*

qft. Some of the best officers I've ever met in the Navy were Academy grads. Some of the absolute loving worst were also Academy grads.

Ultimately (and I say this as some mere OCS gently caress), I don't think commissioning source makes one goddamned bit of difference. Source: any random grouping of SWO Ensigns from whatever myriad of commissioning sources. Also, this Man: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Michael_Boorda

buttplug fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jan 31, 2015

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ManMythLegend posted:

Which is also hilarious.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Went to the lobby to get some 2am hotel coffee and there's an overweight older female LCDR standing there in dress whites with a shaved (stubble) head staring at the wall next to the coffee. As I got closer she said "There's no hot chocolate left"

No idea what the gently caress is going on so I just pretended I was walking across the lobby to the other stairwell and didn't stop. nobles are creepy as poo poo

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Analogical posted:

Went to the lobby to get some 2am hotel coffee and there's an overweight older female LCDR standing there in dress whites with a shaved (stubble) head staring at the wall next to the coffee. As I got closer she said "There's no hot chocolate left"

No idea what the gently caress is going on so I just pretended I was walking across the lobby to the other stairwell and didn't stop. nobles are creepy as poo poo

that was your chance man. the noble slam pig

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Fart Sandwiches posted:

that was your chance man. the noble slam pig

Nah man. pretty sure she was talking about herself

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Thanks for the hula moon recommendation. Went by there last night and got an appointment with the owner for June. He liked my idea so I'll be giving myself a little present if/when I graduate. My buddy is getting something simple today though.

Also had to fill out my first police report here! Off to a great start!

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

LingcodKilla posted:

Thanks for the hula moon recommendation. Went by there last night and got an appointment with the owner for June. He liked my idea so I'll be giving myself a little present if/when I graduate. My buddy is getting something simple today though.

Also had to fill out my first police report here! Off to a great start!

I assume the owner you mean Gabe? He did my mermaid lady. Dude is rad as hell but heavy handed on his work. Be prepared for pain!

Analogical
May 20, 2013

The only tattoo I ever seriously consider getting is maybe 1.5" above my dick just "Warning: Choking Hazard"

Then I'll continue to seductively lower my boxers past it to reveal "Small Parts"

favete linguis

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Fart Sandwiches posted:

I assume the owner you mean Gabe? He did my mermaid lady. Dude is rad as hell but heavy handed on his work. Be prepared for pain!

Yup. We chatted for a bit, funny guy. Thanks for the warning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Analogical
May 20, 2013

What's the desired effect in applying more pressure when tattooing? I've heard people call artists heavy handed before but never knew how much a difference it made other than pain

• Locked thread