Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
http://m.csmonitor.com/USA/Latest-News-Wires/2014/1106/Navy-SEAL-who-wrote-book-about-the-bin-Laden-raid-loses-4.5-million

The idiot who wrote the Bin Laden book is suing his lawyers for telling him that it was perfectly fine publishing a book exposing government secrets.

He lost his security clearance and had to forfeit his $4.2 million to the government. Good.

The reasons he gave for not submitting his account to the Pentagon for review? He wanted his account to be published before all the other books soon to be out. Jfc...

A Bad King fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jan 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
We should just inject everyone in the Navy with disulfiram between liberty ports. Problem solved.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

ded posted:

What exactly is a "liberty port"? I never found out while I was in.

In 2008, USS Last Ship hit 26 ports in 6 months, 22 of them in western europe and scandinavia. I'm sorry that you never did cool stuff.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

ded posted:

the only foreign ports my boat went to was Sasebo and Yokosuka and they were both working ports

its all chinas fault really, we were supposed to hit Brisbane for a lib port but they did some naval exercises that got the admirals panties in a twist

I'm glad I never experienced that.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Doesn't NAS Pensacola still have their hobby shop open? That's why they won.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Laranzu posted:

It's on Corry

See, and that's why they won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

ManMythLegend posted:

Yes, some of its mission sets were not in fully in permissive environments, but that doesn't mean that it can't go there. It's SeaRAM is literally the most effective self defense weapon in the Navy. The missions you mentioned already required CRUDES cover with existing assets. Do you think we send MCM's in alone and unafraid?

The point is that the vast majority of The missions the Navy does are in permissive environments and single mission focused. The LCS is designed with this in mind and it's supposed to "fight out" of trouble, not "fight into" it. It's a corvette that is open ocean capable and world wide deployable which is something none of the other trendy LCS alternatives (looking at you VISBY) offer that.

The fact that I can buy 3 to 4 for the cost of a DDG and send them off to do the poo poo jobs frees up a DDG for more socialized and (arguably more important) stuff like BMD patrols.

You want the "street fighter" which is basically a Russian style disposable ship with missiles and guns bolted all over it. It gets trotted out in LCS arguments all the time.

The problem is the concept is dumb, and harkens back to an antiquated method of naval warfare.

The reason why other navies build ships like that is because they have to. The fact is that we don't use ships to kill other ships. We use airplanes to kill other ships, and we use ships to protect our airplanes. Wanting a street fighter is like saying you think the Navy is going to get into this hypothetical prolonged conflict where we are going to be engaging enemy combatants with our ships but won't be committing our carriers and their strike groups to the problem for Reasons.

The bit about extending sensor networks is important, true, but is done by other assets better.

I like you.

Seqenenra posted:

I think I found the solution.

Yet the Mk92 / Whatever-the-dutch-who-made-it-call-it is ancient. It can't do much more than three engagements at once (two gun-only at 2D), and it can be easily countered if you pump enough RF at its general direction.

Anyways, Frigates were good. They were just getting worn out; you can only fix that aluminum boxtop so many times.

I will miss them when they're gone. We were pretty much useless but for the fact that we could deliver a pair of SH-60s to the horn of Africa and maybe find a Romeo class sub in optimal conditions, but hey! - that 14 day endurance meant a lot of port calls!

• Locked thread