Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Sir Lucius posted:

Which thread are we using?

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

looks like a bunch of terrorists, they should just sink the ship with all on board

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Shaved my beard today and made a few pit-stops down to clean shaven on the way just to gently caress around. Handlebars? Check. Fu Manchu? Check.

Still dicking around, pissing my girlfriend off on skype with my facial hair and that's when I realize my lunch needs to get off the stove. So I stop my grand faggotry and take care of business.

Immediately after lunch I realize "Man, I should grab some liquor while the store is open." Head over there and grab my stuff. The guy behind the counter is always in a bad mood, but as I'm grabbing my receipt just goes "The gently caress, man." which I shrug off because the browns are always mad. So I walk outside and realize I should grab some extra coffee and poo poo for work tomorrow. Head to Target after the liquor store.

Get home maybe 45 minutes later and while unpacking I glance at the microwave door reflection to realize that in my haste to get my lunch off the stove and the following distraction by booze, I did not actually shave off the Hitler-stache I was abusing my girlfriend with and did proceed to walk around this very ethnic Virginian city with my brown hair in a combover and nazi facial hair.

Related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9S75Rfva9O8

Analogical fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 7, 2015

Analogical
May 20, 2013

ManMythLegend posted:

I don't know anything worth writing a book over, but I've learned a couple of pretty cool things.

But your archer avatar defined you

Analogical
May 20, 2013

poopkitty posted:

I have been in the Navy for almost 19 years and have never once set foot in VA. Feels good, man.

I was going to go down to Norfolk last month and check out what ships look like (are the wings really underwater??) but my roommate ended up divorcing his wife who was stationed there and going to show me around.

I got navy'd out of being navy'd

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Nick Soapdish posted:

[rose tinted]Ships are cool as long as you aren't stationed on them. Show up for work-ups, deploy, and then be in either a building or other ship in-port with the old man's pennant on it. Wash-rinse-repeat.[/rose tinted]

There's no doubt in mind being on one would be loving horrible after a week. But dey still pretty cool. Every time I go on a cruise I con an indonesian to get me permission to tour the engineering spaces

Analogical
May 20, 2013

"Plow jockeys" :bigtran:

Analogical
May 20, 2013

LingcodKilla posted:

I thought I was done with the cock show with boot camp.

Also whomever said the IT cadence was dumb as gently caress was 100% correct. It's made marching a nightmare while the arpoc tries to learn it.

You have an RCPO at A-School?

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Nick Soapdish posted:

Hang all IDC

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Dropping a conversion packet for CTN this week because arabic and I haven't gotten along three DLPTs in a row

"hurr durrr but they dont want e5s we want e4s good luck getting approval"

gently caress you all i'll just go con. also I got stranded on Ft Meade because of the icerain-pocalypse monday morning and had to sit in the drat NIOC lounge for three hours. how many people do you guys put on watch at once god drat

Analogical
May 20, 2013

LingcodKilla posted:

I'll do it but if this is a trap and you just sent me to the gay hook up spot and I get raped by a marine I'll kinda mad.

its not rape it's morale building

Analogical
May 20, 2013

why are mom and dad fighting :regd09:

Analogical
May 20, 2013

~noble talk~

I got my first verbal order in the military this week. "I order you to pick that up."

dropped a pencil and planned on getting it anyway. but luckily that LTJG gave me a reason to feel like a patriot while i did it

Analogical fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 18, 2015

Analogical
May 20, 2013

I think the LCS is pretty neato. It's like a modular ship run by AI right?

guys?

right?

ships are made of metal.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Anyone in the DC/Baltimore area have any recommendations for food/drink? I've got today and tomorrow off and I want to take my delicate self out for some pampering.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Dingleberry posted:

You're in the Navy so here's some fine dining.

is that an order, sir? :911:

Analogical
May 20, 2013

I actually had Lebanese food last night courtesy this place near me in Arlington. Are there any good established bar scenes? I've been to the east market area, the expensive sideshow crap next to Verizon Center (Denson's was pretty good imo tho) and once with some friends I was somewhere else that had a minigolf bar upstairs. I'm too drunk to recall the name of that location. E Street? Who knows.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

I live down in Arlington but I never have enough time off to go into DC working 6/1s. I had to commute to Hanover every day this last week and it made me want to kill myself on a daily basis to commute an hour and a half before and after work. I've spent over 400 days in a hilton hotel in the past two years, with the total points in addition to double point promotions I never have to pay for a hotel again.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

I talk to like five goons on lync you joker. But I know who you are, next time I'm up at Meade should be next week to sit in ops for 12 hours because ~COOP~. I'll see if you're around to get honey pig. I like HP down here in VA, but I've also heard about Shin-Chon.

BP: Meade, but I like to sound cagey.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Shoot me a lync. Lucius has my info. I work down here but I frequently go up to the mothership with my beard and civilian clothes to first name nobles who never knew I was a serf. I'm working on moving into your building in the next year unless my community can offer me something like Russian. A friend of mine just got orders to go learn French though. I have a hard time turning down free forced proficiency in new languages seeing as I can computers all day long but will never get off rear end and learn something like Russian in my freetime successfully.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Boon posted:

I think I'm one of the few exceptions to that policy. As an Officer

Analogical
May 20, 2013

I remember when we got asked "So who's doing 20?" and looking back, those of us that raised our hands are the ones that talk the most about getting out after first tour now. Meanwhile the ones that sat and snickered are the ones that re-upped. I think it's because the hand-raisers set higher expectations about what this would be like when they joined and wanted to "do 20" that for whichever reason weren't met.

The snickerers had no expectations going in and were met with a relatively simple "show up, get money" lifestyle that only requires the exact amount of effort you're willing to put in to keep the paychecks coming. Hand-raisers get out or are embittered through a second tour, while the snickerers never knew they'd have it so good and said gently caress it.

I was a hand-raiser, though I don't hate the Navy or anything all things considered. I just think the things it does are loving stupid sometimes.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Getting married, knocking someone up/getting knocked up and loading a credit card with 10k+ debt are the biggest catches for people in terms of re-enlisting, imo. I can understand the stability that it promises, in addition to padding your savings account with 20k~ net for "just four more years". Then when those four are up "well you're only halfway to retirement".

The smart money is lining everything up so you get the absolute most training, work experience and college credits/degrees.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

You better be drat sure you will have absolutely no issues in BUD/s. Most BUD/s duds I've known had to go undesignated immediately after failing out and then you're in for the Navy's Wild Ride. If you want a preview of this Wild Ride, shadow your nearest High School Janitor while simultaneously partying with the students.

Also get the shahada out of your title you fgt this is GIP and you come in here full Quranic with diacritics. You're going to give one of our grunts a PTSD episode :chiefsay:

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Have you looked into the SEAL Officer route?

Analogical
May 20, 2013

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

Yes, I have, and I'm still not sure which way I'll go. I've heard from a reliable source that, due to the rigidity of officer career progression, if you fail BUD/S once that's it, you can't go back. I feel pretty confident I can make it through, but, as I learned at SFAS, there's all kinds of unexpected stuff that can happen. At SFAS I slipped in soft sand with a 60 pound ruck on my back and suffered a minor achilles' rupture. This time I'll be married, and if something happens with my wife's family or she has some other kind of emergency and I can't keep a clear head for six long months of hard training? Yeesh. I'm confident I can make it through but not so confident that I'm super willing to bet everything on one go.

I'll talk to a recruiter and get all of the details (or as many as I can) in writing before I make the decision, but right now I'm leaning towards enlisting, and then maybe trying to commission from the ranks (especially if I take two tries and still don't make it).

Go SEAL Officer. So you get one shot at BUD/s, if you fail out you can throw yourself at the mercy of SWCC or EOD possibly. Either way, failing out of BUD/s as an ENS is a lot better than failing out as Seaman Apprentice and cleaning ships, especially if you have a family. You'll be making more money and it's more responsible to take the opportunity and give BUD/s your one try. If you fail out of BUD/s enlisted you'll have a hell of a time getting back to it any time soon too. There are always exceptions to the rule, but I know a lot of BUD/s duds who have tried everything to get back. Maybe an officer can chime in on any stories they know of people that dudded out as officers going into another SPECWAR program. Bear in mind that there are a lot of different opportunities for officers to do SPECWAR that aren't advertised, if you're so inclined, in the intel community. So if you don't make BUD/s on that one shot you get, you aren't out of luck entirely though it may be still be annoying to get back in.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

Badass to be sure but :siren:TOP SECRET:siren: does not mean DIRECT ACTION :cumpolice:

Analogical
May 20, 2013

All this BUD/s talk is making me want to go down to the CFL office and laugh at everyone billeted there.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

I actually met a guy that the SEALs let go after he joined a team. Not sure what he did, he just said he "wasn't a good fit" but that it wasn't disciplinary. Only asked him about it because not too many spooks have FPJ quals that aren't TIO/TAC.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Can confirm DC women can be cunts about military. I don't even wear a uniform but at a bar I was asked what I do. "Well, I'm stationed--" "ugh... stationed.." and walks off.

The bartender thought this was all pretty hilarious, but he was a BM3 before he started mixing drinks so I'm not about to take his poo poo unless it's on the rocks

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Youth only lends to crippling fears about not having an actual career and ending up like my parents, who just texted me asking for more money.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

This post-college civilian on our team is a complete piece of poo poo, always whining about how he hates the mission because he can't sleep in or take days off and he's just, so stressed you know? So after six weeks of alternating 10hr shifts (Mids>Swings>Days>Mids>Swings>Days) you get two weeks of relief duty where you take care of your appointments and cover for shifts when people need it. Schedule-wise, he's managed to get every single holiday off for the past six months. He still bitches about how he can't sleep in the day after the holiday. So one guy's got a newborn and asks civvie to cover four hours of his shift (civvie's job when he's on the relief week) so he can take his newborn to the hospital. His reponse?

"Well I would, but I kind of want to go hiking tomorrow" and so he flat out refuses to come in, because he "already bought hiking socks."

Other relief requests come in, he turns them down. Our supervisor gets involved after suddenly the team is bogged down by an inability to be flexible and civvie realizes that if he "works" 40 hours at any point in the week, he can't come in to cover a shift the rest of the time because it violates his hours limit. So he comes in the first two days and sits in a storage room "organizing" poo poo and "reading training manuals" and I've caught the guy on the lowside phone talking to his wife for like five loving hours. So he's here for 12~ hours a day the first few days so he can deny everyone's request the last four days, and he refuses to cover shift time EVEN WHEN HE'S SITTING AT WORK IN AN EMPTY ROOM ANYWAY.

Granted nobody trusts him to do work anyway and he's broken SOP over 12 times and we've had to file reports over it. That's more breaches of protocol than our program has had in two years total, and he racked them up in his first four months. So earlier this week he comes in two hours late because "he locked his keys in his car". He comes in and apologizes to the guy on shift and says "Look, I'll come in two hours early tomorrow to make up for it". Next day? Five minutes late.

So that is my backstory for why I'm currently an hour late to relieving this guy, who I called and told I locked my keys in my car. I'm not even dressed. I'm sitting here in my boxers watching Netflix. I'm going to tell him I'll come in two hours early tomorrow and then come in a half hour late and he'll know exactly what I'm doing.

His last week is in two weeks, and he thought he was going somewhere better. Nope. He's going to the same place that I came from, and am returning to next month. Where I'm team lead. The look on his face when he realized this was priceless.

He really missed his calling as a sailor.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Told him I'd come in early today, so now I'm just riding out the extra time and scratching my balls. I ran into a con that was an ex-soldier last night. We're all talking and someone asks me how I like it here, being military.

"To be frank, it's not as engaging as some of my other missions have been. I could be using my skillset a lot more."

What ex-grunt heard:

"To be frank, i've had it worse than all of you fuckers. Especially you, Tom. None of you have ever had a worse assignment in the military. Feel free to tell me all about how I'm being a bitch and you had it ten times worse once."

This is his first night here though and now nobody likes his fat rear end. I hate people that do that poo poo. "Oh, someone is complaining. Well, I'm sure I can complain harder than that."

Since we're on restaurants to a degree still, anyone know any good hawaiian around the DC area? Putting chicken on top of white rice is to hard for me to do on my own.

Analogical fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 24, 2015

Analogical
May 20, 2013

NyxBiker posted:

You should try the Siam House near Cleveland Park and try the spicy fried rice, it's awesome, been there in 2009 when I was in the US for vacation.

Open until 11 eh? En route

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Currently making spam musubis

Analogical
May 20, 2013

orange juche posted:

We've all eaten things we're not proud of.

cip

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Breakfast of the island ni-- n... Niihau

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Arione posted:

especially gently caress the army dudes