Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Pandasmores posted:

When is it usually a good time to enroll into TAPS or whatever theyre calling it now? Hit my 4 years in 2 weeks, going to have a year left unless I choose to do early out to register for the Fall semester full-time. Doubt that would be realistic with how fast things move here and moving to a city in Texas I've never been to simply to go to school there. Couple of dudes using early outs to leave and get on welfare to play Destiny all day/join the French Foreign Legion to get away from the Navy bullshit makes me :lol:

Does the Navy pay a flat rate to move your stuff back to your home of record and is it confined to one city or just the state in general?

Don't quote me but I think it's by distance from current command as the crow flies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Christoff posted:

:shrug:

What about like the really small ones

Those frigates have too pull in every two weeks to resupply and for r&r. Its too much, going from steaming to in-port watch every week or so. It'd be great to just go out to se . -Some Skimmer moron in Souda Bay

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Analogical posted:

I remember when we got asked "So who's doing 20?" and looking back, those of us that raised our hands are the ones that talk the most about getting out after first tour now. Meanwhile the ones that sat and snickered are the ones that re-upped. I think it's because the hand-raisers set higher expectations about what this would be like when they joined and wanted to "do 20" that for whichever reason weren't met.

The snickerers had no expectations going in and were met with a relatively simple "show up, get money" lifestyle that only requires the exact amount of effort you're willing to put in to keep the paychecks coming. Hand-raisers get out or are embittered through a second tour, while the snickerers never knew they'd have it so good and said gently caress it.

I was a hand-raiser, though I don't hate the Navy or anything all things considered. I just think the things it does are loving stupid sometimes.

Yeah you're right nubs are loving stupid as poo poo

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

you know in the army if you enlist on a special forces contract, you just get redesignated infantry if you wash out of SFAS

but that's because you revert to whatever your previous qualifying MOS was, and the SF enlistment pipeline starts out by having you qualify as infantry

I realise BUD/S doesn't have any such qualifier, but I assumed that if you enlisted on an SO contract you selected a rating you'd take if you didn't finish BUD/S? because if that isn't the case then there is no way I will ever enlist if I have a chance at an officer billet at BUD/S. I could probably handle being a BM or MA or something but gently caress ending up getting made to be an electrician's mate or some poo poo I will shoot myself in the head

e: rhetorical question I don't actually expect any of you to know the answer to that off the top of your heads

my understanding is that you are sent out to the fleet, at the needs of the navy, as an undesignated seaman and then get to try and strike for a rate while doing all the worst boat bitchwork.

If you enlist for this you are a loving moron. Hedge your loving bet and try to go as an officer. Don't be a complete loving idiot

edit: striking for rate is where you go, on your off time, to learn about different departments and divisions to find out which one you want to try and learn about, and eventually they might even send you to the required 'A' school so that you can have your NEC changed. If you don't pass BUDS you'll be literally the lowest man on the totem poll on the ship, which is not where you ever want to be.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

No, I didn't know that. I stayed up real late one time so I could call an officer recruitment office when they opened to ask for more information about the BUD/S officer pipeline and I left the CPO there my email address so he could get back to me but he never did.

A whole single phonecall huh? I can tell you're really cutting through all the bullshit to get the good gouge on going SEAL. I agree with maffew, you're gonna make it. Sign the contract, accelerate your life.

Edit: did you get your degree from the back of a cereal box?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

uh I'm 12-16 time zones off from the US right now and I don't need to make any decisions about enlisting/commissioning for a year, it isn't exactly urgent

You're up right now, why not call them?

I'm starting to think that your instincts are legit. You probably do have to choose between being a seal and being an officer, just like that one guy told you offhandedly.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

because I don't have to make any decisions about enlisting/commissioning for a year

lol good luck sailor

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Dingleberry posted:

WTF does anybody wanna be a SEAL anyways?
Sure you get to grow a beard and get trained to be a highspeedswatoperator killer, but short of doing 20 and writing a book or being a consultant on Fox News what real good comes from the whole thing?
EOD pretends to be all cool like SEALs, but at least they do more traditional deployments and live pretty well overseas and have it pretty chill when stateside. Divers seem to have it pretty good too and they get to wear those sexy tan shorts way more often. :gizz:
Seriously though to the wannabee-SEAL dude;
Write out a big list of why you want to be one and post it so each reason can get picked apart/critiqued...

When we had divers on our boat I was super jealous of them. While loud, and completely useless, they spent the majority of their time onboard burning flicks and working out shirtless. Every watch rotation I'd get to soak up all the sweet manta ray / sea turtle / shark / bubblehead tattoos they all had as they grunted and groaned on the solitary smith bench we had onboard. For these brief stints I felt like I had been transported to the navy of my dreams, surrounded by greased up 20 somethings wearing high cut shorts and no shirts, spotting each other and constantly high fiving. When I would lay in my rack for the brief 5 1/2 hours alloted for sleep I would listen to them watch family-guy and laugh and laugh and laugh, directly above my head, and I would imagine I was one of them. And I was happy, even on the boat.

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 21, 2015

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

now help me come up with a fake nickname to claim the enemy gave me to make myself sound more badass to dumb civilians

Lining up for your second enlistment. Might not wanna reach for the "dumb" stone for your first throw

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

There's several. The biggest, simplest, is that I've done two combat deployments, and during them I was, I guess not happiest, but most fulfilled on our most challenging missions. The longest patrols, the highest mountains, the most threatening terrain. I got excited when I heard something big coming up, and I always wanted more of them. I want to do that poo poo all the time. Or as much as is possible.

Why don't you look into joining a PMC? if you're not in it for the service or the bennies and just want a thrill then they have a much less restrictive environment in which to get your kicks. Scumbag mercs have a 100% advancement rate and depending on the outfit you'll be sure to catch a thrill or three.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

is that actually the case? I was under the impression they mostly did perimeter/personal security details, and that the ones who don't generally have SOF credentials already anyway

uhh yeah of course its the case. You might have to join a foreign company and eat bush meat for a while but you'll def get your kicks.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

maffew buildings posted:

Basic research is not homeboys deal

Fortunately all SEALs do is hike rough terrain and point and shoot.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

I have no idea what it is about this that makes you so upset but I bet if I did know it would be really funny

Have you ever considered going nuke? Its a special NEC, just like SO. More special even: SOs can cross to nuke, but nuke can't go SO. Think about it, you get huge bonuses, propay, and an engineering degree out of it!

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Pandasmores posted:

I don't know why they made a movie about him when there was a guy in Vietnam that had a pretty sick reputation in the Marines that seems like he'd be way cooler on film. Or the Finnish guy that killed a shitload of people and survived getting shot in the face. Didn't they also modify a few things to make it seem more tense than what he wrote in his book?

In other news, checked in on my BAH chit that's been sitting in admin since August, apparently it being "right next up" is a lie because the person that's supposed to sign before the CMC didn't even look at it. I've been laughing pretty hard since pulling it out, especially since other dudes that just checked in are getting theirs approved before me, or maybe they're getting lied to as well and theirs will mysteriously vanish in a bit.

Maybe Xmas treeing a test and being near the end of your contract has affected how the command prioritizes your paperwork. I know when I was a dirtbag I had to hand route all my poo poo and not let anyone hold chits for me that weren't complete

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Ron Jeremy posted:

I thought the bronze star was a brighter red. Reserve good conduct seems like the most likely. Reserve for 3 years than to the academy seems like an uncommon path but w/e.

Why is it so unlikely that he was a corpsman that got an FMF pin and then got picked up to goto the academy through whatever that program is called?

Edit: Am I missing something here? It just looks like a prior active duty dude that got picked up to be a plebe. What is the mystery? Good Conduct - McD's - GWOT- GWOTE? - rifle - pistol

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jan 28, 2015

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Ballston Spa, NY was pretty ideal for rotating shift work. Once a month we'd get a 4 day weekend and Ballston is 4 hours from Montreal and 4 hours from NYC. Never go to goto fleetweek though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

One time, I was pissing in my toilet with the door open, and my dog came in and kinda just stuck her head between Grmy dick and the bowl while I was mid stream and she got piss on her head.
Word of warning 'cause of Super Bowl tomorrow.

Finish the story bro. Did you have guests over? Where did she send her piss covered head next? THE PEOPLE WANNA KNOW

• Locked thread