Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Found out yesterday I'm going to Fallon for the next three years to be a WTI. Fun job and a 90 minute drive from Tahoe; I've already gotten my skis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Well some variety of tool, at least.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

ActusRhesus posted:

Serious question, I'm not a dude. If some guy grabbed your junk while you were sleeping how would you respond?

Depends who it is, really.

Friend: gently caress off, I'm trying to sleep.

Gay friend: gently caress off, I'm trying to sleep. But I appreciate your professional opinion.

ActusRhesus posted:

yeah, I'm talking for purposes of "I'm gonna try to give this guy a handsie while I beat off and hope he doesn't wake up" not "hey guys, watch me grab this guys dick, lol"

Random creepy guy: probably gonna get punched. I can understand a sexual assault claim in that situation.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
V-22 Osprey picked to be the next COD

Interesting news. For years now it's basically been a question of whether they would make a new C-2B, or go with Ospreys, so it's nice that they've finally made a decision. They've got fairly similar capabilities, with the Osprey's lesser range probably being the biggest difference. And at least they're going with an existing airframe rather than the C-3 Frankenviking proposal.

It should be interesting to see how they integrate it; right now Greyhounds and Hawkeyes all share a type wing and training pipeline, and there's a lot of parts/maintenance commonality. That means that an air wing's Hawkeye squadron can help support Greyhounds on the carrier, though Greyhounds do embark a small maintenance det as well, and spare parts are a lot easier to get. With a V-22, they'll be on their own. The big question in the VRC/VAW community now is whether they'll roll V-22's in with us, or set up a separate COD wing and eventually revert the Hawkeye/Greyound wing back to Hawkeye only.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Yeah, for just a week there's not really much you absolutely need. Some stuff you can think about if you want to be extra comfy:

For toiletries, make sure you have shower shoes and a bathrobe. You'll probably have to walk down a passageway past work centers and other stuff to get to the bathroom.

For bedding, some people like to bring a sleeping bag or their own sheets, but for a week-long det you'll probably be fine just using the linens the ship provides. I generally have an entire duffel bag devoted to pillow/mattress pad/sheets/blanket for longer trips.

As far as things to bring for your room: 3M adhesive hooks are great for making places to hang towels and such; clorox wipes are handy for wiping down your sink and other surfaces; an air freshener is extremely nice to have; and an extension cord, while not technically allowed, is often a practical necessity if you want to charge any personal electronics, since the socket is usually way up high or out of the way. Just make sure you hide the cord when it's not in use.

Entertainment: tablets and e-readers are super popular since they don't take much space. Load up with a bunch of books/games/movies and you're golden.

Spend some off time wandering around and getting lost. People are generally very helpful if you're just walking around looking confused. Figuring out where you eat, sleep, work, and poo poo is 90% of your navigation and will happen pretty quickly, but there's always plenty to explore.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Wokrider posted:

What's so bad about it? I have family in San Diego and I am going to get my car before I report in for fmtb.

It's pretty much a minimum 2- or 3-hour drive from anything and it usually smells like cows. For such a large base, it's surprisingly light on facilities and amenities on base. And there's not much else off base.

I was there for a couple of days last week for some air wing events; they were saying it had been so foggy the previous two weeks that hardly anyone was able to fly. Nobody had seen the sun in months. The pointy nose guys constantly expressed jealousy that Hawkeyes ended up in Point Mugu after we all left Mirimar in the 90's.

There's a "days since last DUI" sign as you're leaving the base. It was up to 12 days when I left. :what:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Fart Sandwiches posted:

In pensacola ... a ... tattoo ... isn't ... good.

Sorry, for some reason my brain keeps editing it down to that set of words. Really weird.

• Locked thread